Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by REPO Man Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:39 am

Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:I really enjoyed this and I'll definitely be trying out other rouge-likes in the future.

Since you have a 3DS, I think you should nab this one next:

Roguelikes are a genre that I personally have a lot of admiration for. If you're looking for recommendations for any specific platform I'm glad to help.

Been on my wishlist for a while now. I mean, it's a composite of two of my favorite RPG franchises, Etrian Odyssey (currently playing Etrian Odyssey Untold, which is a remake of EO1, and am wondering if they're also gonna remake EO3 like they also did with EO2, cuz then I can go to EO4) and Mystery Dungeon (which aside from the Pokemon entries, which are fun AF and I wanna get Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon, is mostly marginalized here in the US and mostly relegated to the odd localization, though they've gotten better at localizing recent entries for the most part), the latter of which iirc made me fall in love with roguelikes (though I'm very particular about which ones I play).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Dec 01, 2015 11:57 am

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Indeed you should.

Question: are there any save games or such that transfer between the various Shadowruns? if I built a character for Shadowrun Returns, is it possible to play as that character in Dragonfall or Hong Kong?

Nope. Each one is a unique experience. There is a mini campaign coming out for Hong Kong that will let you import your existing Hong Kong characters (and it'll have high end enemies).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Tue Dec 01, 2015 2:16 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:I really enjoyed this and I'll definitely be trying out other rouge-likes in the future.

Roguelikes are a genre that I personally have a lot of admiration for. If you're looking for recommendations for any specific platform I'm glad to help.

Yeah I've definitely been looking at Etrian Mystery Dungeon. I like Etrian Odyssey and it's such an odd combo imo.

And do you know of any good PS2 rougelikes? I can think of a few rougelikes on other systems, but not PS2 for some reason :/ (which is one of my favorite consoles ha)

@Bogus Wow you are way better with words than I am! :lol: (although I admit I was a little tired when writing that ><) Have you beat the game yet? The ending is one of the best parts which is why I'm asking :)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:41 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:And do you know of any good PS2 rougelikes?

For pure roguelike gameplay, there's The Nightmare of Druaga and Baroque available with official English releases.

Then there's Rogue Hearts Dungeon and Torneko Adventures 3: Mysterious Dungeon which are Japanese only, but both are manageable with a guide. Those games are both pure roguelike as well.

Lastly, there's Dark Cloud, Dark Cloud 2, and Crimson Tears also available in English officially. Those three games are not pure roguelikes, but incorporate strong roguelike elements in their design, so they count in my book.

A lot of people didn't know that the "International" version of Final Fantasy X-2 included a bonus called "Last Mission". Last Mission takes place in Yadonoki Tower, and is a roguelike adventure. Here's a screenshot:

So technically that's another roguelike on PS2. However, the PS2 version is Japanese only. Good news though, if you buy Final Fantasy X|X-2 HD Remaster, it comes with Last Mission included. So you can experience its FF+roguelike mashup in English.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Dec 01, 2015 3:55 pm

So Baroque is a weird kind of roguelike. It's real time rather than turn based, and it requires a lot of weird doings to be able to progress, including a bunch of required deaths. I still have no clue what the actual story of the game is even though I beat it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Tue Dec 01, 2015 4:22 pm

Actually, Torneko Adventure 3 is a sequel to a PS1 game released over here as Torneko: The Last Hope, which in turn is a sequel to a Japan-only Super Famicom title (fan-translated, same with Shiren the Warrior). It and Chocobo's Dungeon 2 are two entries in the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise that came out Stateside at the time.

Two of the Shiren the Wanderer titles came out here later on, for Wii and DS (the PSP version didn't but there's a fan-translation).

And The Nightmare of Druaga is part of the "Mystery Dungeon" franchise iirc (on the cover the words "Fushigino Dungeon" appear at the bottom, with "Fushigi No Dungeon" being Japanese for "Dungeon of Mystery", where "Mystery Dungeon" comes from.

But by then the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon titles began coming out here in the states (aside from the WiiWare ports of the trio of DS titles, all of the PMD titles came been localized iirc).

As for non-"Mystery Dungeon" roguelikes, there's:

* Azure Dreams for PS1 (there's a GBC port which is naturally scaled down)
* Tao's Adventure for DS (sequel to Azure Dreams)
* Fatal Labyrinth for Genesis (appeared on Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection for Xbox 360 and PS3, and there's a Steam port, like a vast assortment of old Genesis titles)
* the Diablo series
* Dungeons of Dredmor for computers (Windows, Mac, Linux), which features support for user-made modifications and also has a "wicked sense of humor" (quoting Ars Technica's Josh McIllwain)
* Desktop Dungeons for computers, iOS and Android, which is more strategic and condensed in nature, with sessions taking roughly 10 minutes
* Spelunky (do I need to mention this?)
* The Binding of Isaac (if you haven't heard of this, log your ass off and don't come back until you do... I'm serious!)
* Rogue Legacy for computers, Xbox One and the PlayStation family (3, 4, Vita), which is a platform hack'n'slash roguelike
* Izuna series for DS
* Dragon Crystal for Master System and Game Gear (the latter is also available on the 3DS Virtual Console)
* 100 Rogues for iOS and Ouya (I loved the iOS version and love the Ouya version, but if they can do it on iOS and therefore use touchscreen AND can make it for an Android-based console like the Ouya, then why the HELL is this not available on Android smartphones and tablets?!?!)
* Z.H.P. Unlosing Ranger VS Darkdeath Evilman for PSP (much like a typical NIS tactical RPG meets a "Mystery Dungeon"-style roguelike)
* The Guided Fate Paradox for PS3 (a spiritual successor to ZHP)
* Sword of the Stars: The Pit for computers, with Xbox 360, iOS and Android ports planned (love this on PC), based on the Sword of the Stars franchise and is basically a sci-fi roguelike.
* Don't Starve for computers, PS3, PS4, Xbox One and WiiU. But it's not a true roguelike.
* Darkest Dungeons for computers, PS4 and Vita.
* Dankest Dungeons, a GameBoy-style demake of the above for PC, made for mini Ludum Dare 50
Snatch1414
Next-Gen

by Snatch1414 Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:28 pm

Beat Project X Zone. That felt like a legitimate conquest. Why you ask? The game is, quite literally, 20, 30, maybe even 40 hours too long. I never thought I'd complain about a game in this respect but here I am.

For what it is (an extremely poor man's SRPG serving as a vessel for pure fan service) the game is just hilariously overdone. That being said I will own the sequel on day one haha. It's a great idea for a game even if it's not the most well-executed. They do right by the characters though.
Subscribe to the Snatch Gaming podcast on iTunes!
SnatchGaming.com
Twitter: @SnatchGames
TSTR
Next-Gen

by TSTR Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:38 pm

^Agree totally. I will likely check the sequel out down the line, but if they make it that long again there better be something more compelling to it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Dec 02, 2015 12:14 am

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC
86. Catacomb Armageddon - PC
87. This Starry Midnight We Make - PC
88. Shadowrun Dragonfall - Director's Cut - PC
89. Catacomb Apocalypse - PC

The final game in the Catacomb Fantasy Trilogy. The game does add some new stuff; you have a very primitive hub section where you get to do four levels in any order to get all the keys needed to get to the next area (though you technically only need to do three of them) and it also includes invisible walls. They are much harder to detect on a modern PC using Dosbox because Dosbox doesn't properly emulate how the Catacomb games would make the edges of your screen flash. This makes it harder to realize you're taking damage and you don't get the notification that you're near an invisible wall unless you are religiously checking the status bar. The game also includes some invisible enemies which are utter bastards. The game feels like it's hard for the sake of hard, which was a common thing for sequels to be in those days.
Ack

by Ack Wed Dec 02, 2015 10:32 am

Did you take on the final boss or skip him entirely?

Obviously I was impressed as hell with the Catacomb games when I played through them earlier this year. What do you think of them overall?

You also realize we're like the only two guys here who have beaten all of them.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming