Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Fragems
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Fragems Sat May 16, 2015 4:23 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:I have to still finish up my write-up of my experience in GTA V, but I had a very different experience with First Person Mode. I used it exclusively through the entirety of the game, minus 2 vehicles, because of poor vision.

I mean it's completely playable that way and can really change up the experience. However I just prefer third person view for driving and since I like using cover it's easier to just play with the third person camera.

It is great for sight seeing though I do enjoy just riding a bike around the city in first person.
c0wb0y
24-bit

by c0wb0y Sat May 16, 2015 10:55 pm

Previously:
Lego Marvel on the 360

Updated:
Minecraft - 360 I almost completed the original achievement set on Minecraft, but the number of achievements was doubled with the last update on the 360. Not thinking I'll get close to completing it by that standard. But I did finally build the 500 meter rail track, and also befriended a 5th wolf! (Discovered that one of my daughters set my survival world to creative mode at one point, meaning the rail I'd built would never count. Creative mode negates any progress against achievements. So I had to start from scratch on a new world. Oh well. :( )

New entries:
The Unfinished Swan - PS3 I'd read a little about this one, and it really piqued my curiosity. I like how the devs introduced new play mechanics throughout the game - even into the credits. My daughters watched me play the game and really liked the story - especially the last chapter. I liked the little tip of the hat to the Journey developers.
Journey - I've played through this one twice now. I really enjoyed it as a non-traditional experience. Again, my daughters are enthralled. They like the alternative game experiences.

We played through 2 levels of Flower tonight, and after their initial frustration with the six axis control, they really got into it. Good times!
Systems: Pong, Odyssey2, Atari 2600, NES, CDX, SNES, N64, Saturn, DC, PS1, PS2, PS3, Xbox, GCN, Wii, Xbox360, OUYA
Handhelds: GB, GBC, GBA, DS lite, DSi, Virtual Boy (<< is that even a portable?)
EM Pinballs: Bally Dixieland, Gottlieb Flying Carpet
SS Pinball: GTB Circus, GTB Count-Down, GTB Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Stern Lectronamo, Stern Galaxy, Bally Black Pyramid
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun May 17, 2015 7:44 am

Games Beaten 2015

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC
Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry - PS4
Infamous: First Light - PS4
Race the Sun - PS4 *new*
Mad Riders - PS3 *new*

Total: 45

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

School's out, so the game playing time is kicking up. In both of these games I unlocked everything in the main mode of the game by getting enough levels, stars, etc. to advance through to the end.

Both are a lot of fun. Mad Riders is not as polished as something like the Motorstorm series or even Pure, but it makes up for it with goofiness, a simple presentation, and plain old basic, stupid fun. Race the Sun offers an intense challenge that takes some time to get comfortable with, but can induce that "being in the zone" feeling quite nicely when everything is firing on all cylinders.

On a side note, this entry marks 500 games logged since I started keeping track of beaten titles back in 2010. :)
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun May 17, 2015 9:00 am

dsheinem wrote:On a side note, this entry marks 500 games logged since I started keeping track of beaten titles back in 2010. :)

I'll alert Kotaku.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 17, 2015 11:48 am

Ack wrote:I'm saddened to see it go, but happy at the time I spent, like visiting an old friend for an afternoon and then parting ways again, leaving me to reminisce about good times long since past.

Loom just has a way of invoking melancholy in general. I beat the EGA version of this game when I was 12 years old, and even way back then I keenly remember the feelings of happy/sad that permeated the experience. I was also disappointed that the game was so short. But it was utterly brilliant while it lasted. It's a masterpiece of the genre and remains unique to this day.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Sun May 17, 2015 12:46 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:I'm saddened to see it go, but happy at the time I spent, like visiting an old friend for an afternoon and then parting ways again, leaving me to reminisce about good times long since past.

Loom just has a way of invoking melancholy in general. I beat the EGA version of this game when I was 12 years old, and even way back then I keenly remember the feelings of happy/sad that permeated the experience. I was also disappointed that the game was so short. But it was utterly brilliant while it lasted. It's a masterpiece of the genre and remains unique to this day.

People who say that games can't be art, or that if they are they fail as games, haven't played Loom. It is successful as art and as game. Also as great storytelling, which is an art to itself.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Flake

by Flake Sun May 17, 2015 1:58 pm

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)

My second non-Nintendo console game clear of the year! Could this be a trend? Howbie-Wan and I visited our mutual friend Redline09 yesterday in Austin. While waiting to leave to see a movie, Hobie and I quickly demolished this game. A few thoughts:

- I have been very wrong about this being the Genesis version of Turtles in Time, or even an adaptation. It felt more like a re-make of Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Arcade Game but with art assets from Turtles in Time. What a great example of the wackiness of 90's games that would never happen today.

- Waaay too easy on 2 player. Even the last fight was a cinch once Hobie explained to me that we could basically sandwich Shredder and take turns dodging his attacks or punching him in the back.

- Choosing between this or Turtles in Time, I'd choose Turtles in Time. This was a great game and the controls were perfect. I just felt, at the end, that there wasn't a lot of content and that it was way too short.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 17, 2015 2:51 pm

marurun wrote:People who say that games can't be art, or that if they are they fail as games

Anyone who thinks that is simply oblivious and out of their element.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Sun May 17, 2015 3:06 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:I'll alert Kotaku.

My hat. It's tipped in your direction with a sense of appreciation.
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Sun May 17, 2015 3:44 pm

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)
10. Double Dragon Neon - PC (March 1)
11. Mario Kart 8 - Wii U (March 3)
12. Hotline Miami - PS3 (March 14)
13. Pokemon White - Nintendo DS (March 17)
14. Pokemon Soul Silver - Nintendo DS (April 2)
15. Pokemon White 2 - Nintendo DS (April 14)
16. Pokemon X - Nintendo 3DS (April 30)
17. Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - Xbox One (May 3)
18. Pokemon Shuffle - Nintendo 3DS (May 12)
19. Hearthstone: Blackrock Mountain - PC / iPhone (May 17)

Pokemon Shuffle was great for the first 150 rounds. I'm calling the game beaten now, because once I passed those initial 150 stages, it seemed like the game started saying, "Hey buddy, it's time for you to throw done some cash for this game we gave you, okay?" Seriously, the only real troubles the game gave me early on was how to budget your coins, IE Gengar and Mewtwo Y really. Now it seems every other stage there's some tool you need to purchase using coins or jewels, and I think it's diminished my interest in playing any fruther.

Hearthstone Blackrock Mountain was something I wanted to jump into. I loved the first expansion, Naxxaramus, so I figured I'd see what the hubbub was all about. I beat the single player campaigns, which provided some great amusement and variety outside of the normal arena/constructed modes. Some really neat encounters and play mechanics made it really interesting and some new decks to construct based on the strategies each boss presented. If you like Magic the Gathering, I bet you'd love Hearthstone!
Return to General Gaming