Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Flake

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Flake Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:45 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Flake wrote:I've still never played the original but I'm hoping that it has a lot in common with this one.

I havn't spent much time with Dark Moon, but the original Luigi' Mansion is fantastic. It is easily the Gamecube's most charming game, and it still looks great. (Also, you can beat it about six hours; so, it never wears out its welcome.) I highly, highly recommend it.

It is actually coming up on my list very soon. As you can see, I am enjoying something of an extended stay in the Mushroom Kingdom this year. I think I'll be hitting Luigi's Mansion up after a few quick palate cleansers. Speaking of...

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DC VC/GB)

Did not mean to add another game onto the list in the same evening but I accidentally sat down and beat Mario Land. Some thoughts:

This game has aged poorly and even back in the 90's, I thought this game was pretty terrible. It looks and feels like something cobbled together on a TI-83 calculator. It only has two redeeming qualities: First is the music- some surprisingly catchy tunes.

Secondly, this game is a real curiosity. Gunpei Yokoi made some really wacky choices, and they were all deliberate. First - why Sarasaland? Even when Mario Land was made, there was already an increasingly well developed Mario mythos. Creating this one shot land out in the middle of space with a completely new princess seems bonkers unless there was a specific reason for it. Alas, those answers probably died with Mr. Yokoi. I do know that there is a direct storyline that starts with Mario Land and goes through to Mario Land 3 but other than the fact that Mario is in another galaxy, nothing in this game is ever revisited. Why did Daisey come back with Mario? Did she forever sever her connection with Sarasaland? Where was Luigi or Peach in all of this?

Mario Land just doesn't make any sense and I wish that Nintendo had followed through on it.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:06 am

I love Mario Land. As a kid I was upset it wasn't the pack-in game. I didn't want no block dropping nonsense.
Erik_Twice
Next-Gen

by Erik_Twice Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:29 pm

Fire Emblem: Genealogy of the Holy War is over! Really loved this game, which you probably could tell by how much I've raved about it around here and on Twitter. I truly believe it's a classic and right now it's one of the games I most want to own in physical format.

Sadly, the current translation patch which will be replaced soon has a glitch at the end and the game freezes before it shows you your result screen with the total playthrough count (In a 60 hour game!), rank and total playtime count. I don't think it's silly, either, I really want to give it a whirl another time with completely different tactics and that kind of stuff.

So yeah, very happy to have played and beaten this game. And it's a long one! I don't think I've beaten such a long game in ages.

Something interesting: This game was in development for two years (!) with Gunpei Yokoi as producer. And I think it really shows in the game, it has a lot of stuff going on.
Looking for a cool game? Find it in my blog!
Latest post: Often, games must be difficult
http://eriktwice.com/
Flake

by Flake Mon Feb 16, 2015 12:47 pm

Erik_Twice wrote:
Something interesting: This game was in development for two years (!) with Gunpei Yokoi as producer. And I think it really shows in the game, it has a lot of stuff going on.

I am all aboard if we create a "Gunpei Yokoi" appreciation thread.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:26 pm

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)

The Tick is possibly the longest beat 'em up I have ever beaten. It is 16 episodes long, and each episode has sub-levels which range in length and could occasionally constitute an entire beat 'em up level in and of themselves. Overall, I'd say there are probably about 40-45 levels.

But how is the game? Well, it's not good. There was a definite attempt to adopt The Tick into a video game, so there is a lot of the universe involved: enemies, allies, level designs, etc., are all greatly influenced by the comic and cartoon. At times the game manages to pull from the creativity and offer something truly inspired. Unfortunately those times are few and far between, with the highlight of the game being a fight with Chairface as you race to destroy his laser before he finishes carving his name into the moon.

So what is it like in the meantime? Well...boring. While there are several sets of enemies, they tend to have terrible AI and not be particularly interesting to fight. And the game developers apparently felt that quantity was more important than quality, so there are a lot of enemies. Tons. Hordes. And you will probably beat them over and over again using the same basic combos that you have used the entire game, because there is little reason to change tactics. Even when they change styles, enemies just aren't different enough to warrant a strategic analysis. So you end up with hundreds of bad guys, many of which are palette-swapped, all of which can be defeated relatively easily with a punch or kick combo.

To try and break up this monotony, there are places where the levels becomes interactive(for instance, Sewer Urchin occasionally pops up from under sewer lids, hurting whoever was standing on it), and there are items in the game which will occasionally summon an ally, such as American Maid or Paul the Samurai, enabling you to fight back to back against the hordes. But these become problematic occasionally because they can hinder you just as easily(specifically Die Fledermaus). There is also some variance in level designs as occasionally you will find the odd platforming or high wire level, where flying objects will come at you and knock the Tick out of the air. Again, there are some entertaining ideas(jumping between speed boats, or falling from skyscrapers and having to fight villains who happen to be in the alley below), but they still feel poorly implemented and designed. There are also a couple that suffer from slippery floors where if you fall, you'll respawn and immediately fall again, losing two lives in the process. And there is the occasional glitch, such as enemies getting stuck in the floor at the top or bottom of the level.

This game would have been considerably more successful in my opinion if the devs had instead decided to trim the fat and cut the game down to 1/3 of its length, but then used that to focus on building up its quality. I don't completely hate the game, because when it works out, it's amazing. But more does not always mean better, and this game is a shining example of that problem.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Ack wrote:This game would have been more successful if the devs had decided to trim the fat and cut the game down to 1/3 of its length, but then used that [extra dev time] to focus on building up its quality [instead].

This is how I feel about soooo many RPGs.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:53 pm

I actually tried The Tick out not long ago, and all the flaws you point out are definitely there. Didn't realize it was so long, though! Glad I didn't stick with it, I'd have been playing a long, long time.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:02 pm

Does the game include The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:08 pm

MrPopo wrote:Does the game include The Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs At Midnight?

Unfortunately I fear he was too busy making gravy without the lumps.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Flake

by Flake Mon Feb 16, 2015 2:38 pm

What about Multiple Santa and the Yule Tide?
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Return to General Gaming