Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
wclem
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by wclem Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:32 pm

1. Resident Evil 4 (PS3) Digital
2. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) Disc Version
3. Dying Light (PS4) Disc Version
4. Red Dead Redemption (PS3) Disc Version (Replay)
5. Batman Arkham City (PS3) Disc Version
6. The Order (PS4) Disc Version
7. Valiant Hearts (PS4) Digital Version
8. DMC Definitive (PS4) Disc Version
9. Resident Evil Revelations 2 (PS4) Disc Version
10. God of War - Ghost of Sparta (PS3) PSP digital port
11. God of War - Chains of Olympus (PS3) PSP digital port
12. Max Payne 3 - (PC) Digital Version (Replay)
13. Witcher 3 - (PS4) Physical Version
14. Evil Within - (PC) Digital Version (Replay)
15. Freedom Planet - (PC) Digital Version
16. Super Mario World - (Snes) Physical Version (Replay)
17. Mega Man 7 - (Snes) Physical Version
18. Contra - (Nes) Physical Version (Replay)
19. Limbo - (PS4) Digital Version

Finally got around to playing this one through. Had it on PC for awhile and decided to give it a play through when it went free with PS+. Not the best game I ever played but it was still a fun, short play. The oddest thing about this game was that I felt it was very violent. The protagonist comes off as a child, and he dies in some rather violent ways. I may be perceiving the character wrong but as I played I felt he way?
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
marurun

by marurun Fri Aug 21, 2015 7:34 pm

dsheinem wrote:I need to play this...I bought it some time ago but was sorta burnt out on BL at the time. Good to hear it is awesome.

This is on my wish list, and I'm more that willing to buy it if you want a partner in crime (death?).
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:09 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC

It's always a good sign when I get into a game so much that I only come up for food, sleep, and my job (and the latter is only because they'd stop paying me for some reason if I stopped showing up). The third game by Harebrained Studios, Hong Kong builds upon what was done before in Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall, while taking the player into a new area of the globe.

They've done a good job on iterating and adding new features with each release, and the biggest new feature in Hong Kong is the redone Matrix. It's much more interesting compared to the old Matrix, which was just a secondary battleground. The new Matrix starts off by having patrolling enemies who's purpose is to detect you. You have to dodge them in real time, and if you fall within their search beam you go to combat. These enemies increase a global alarm counter for every round they detect you, so it behooves you to dodge them or kill them fast. If the global alarm ever hits maximum all the search programs deactivate and a bunch of IC spawns on top of you. Certain sensitive areas will also have IC in place, but it's not an everytime thing. And even the data retrieval has been changed; now there is a gate guarding every data node. If the alarm hasn't been triggered yet, the gate needs to be hacked. If it has been triggered you can brute force it. Hacking the gate gives you the option of forcing through at the cost of greatly raising the alarm level or engaging in a minigame to hack the gate (where failure will increase the alarm level less than brute forcing it). The whole thing makes Matrix diving feel more like you trying to worm your way past the defenses, rather than a one-person combat area.

The game continues Dragonfall Director's Cut's addition of minor customization for your party and party member quests. Each party member (except one, and it's obvious who and why) has a storyline that caps with a quest to resolve that storyline. They're fun and give more insight into the various characters that make up your team. The team is also incredibly well balanced; the only thing missing is a dedicated mage (and technically an adept, though I consider that a street samurai variant). It gives the player the freedom to play the character they want and still having party members who can pick up the other tasks, as no one can do it all in Shadowrun.

The other awesome new addition is the cyberware weapons, which are integrated into your body. It's an extension of how Glory had claws as her built in melee weapon in Dragonfall, only now there are three kinds and a few variants of each kind. Two are melee and one is ranged (though not unlimited like a firearm), and going with them also puts you down the path to gaining some extra essence so you can fully chrome out. My only complaint is you can only have one installed at a time, which is a shame because each one has a unique advantage and it would be nice to be able to switch between them. At the very least you should have been able to equip two, one for each arm. But it's a very minor quibble.

The Hong Kong setting is nice because it drops you in the world of the triads, vs. the western focused previous games. If you've played the Deus Ex games the environment will be familiar, and the game does it well. There's also a lot of interesting missions with good opportunities for solving them in various ways and dealing with unexpected happenings that come up.

The game took me 18 hours by Steam's clock, which is in line with the others. If you enjoyed the previous two I highly recommend it.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:24 pm

Good Lord Popo - didn't that come out, like, yesterday???
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Aug 23, 2015 12:04 am

Thursday. Got in a few hours Thursday and Friday, then played it nonstop today from the time I woke up until the time I made the post.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
flylikeabird
16-bit

by flylikeabird Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:16 am

Just beat MGS 2 for the first time ever in preparation for the new MGS next month.

Man I forgot how fruity this game was. I was in hysterics during the game's most serious moment. Very funny stuff.

Despite the lame story at times, still a fun game. The camera system definitely feels dated though, tough to use.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:27 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC

The expansion to Hexen has the same general storyline that Heretic's expansion did; after beating the last boss you get waylaid due to magic and have to go murder some other dudes. Unlike the Heretic expansion, this one doesn't immediately crank up the difficulty to ballcrushing. There's still a good curve on things, though it's a faster curve than the base game. The level design is still fun, though unfortunately only the second hub (of the three) has the criss crossing backtracking that the base game is known for, and even that is limited compared to before. The first hub has you go through each submap once, and each submap is entirely self contained to solve its puzzles. The third hub does force you to backtrack to the main hub midway through each submap, but you immediately go back to the submap; essentially you trigger a switch in the main hub to open something in the submap you just came from.

The final boss fight is more interesting than the final one in Heretic's expansion. You fight through three waves of enemies, then one of the enemy heroes, then repeat for the other two heroes. It'd be more difficult if the game didn't lift the "you can only carry one invincibility item across hubs" (and a few other items, but the invincibility one is the one most affected by it). But I basically stayed invincible the entire time thanks to saving up those items.

Personally I don't mind trivializing a boss like that; if I'm going to take the time to save up all the awesome stuff I should be able to exploit it.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:07 pm

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)- Great
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)- Crap
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)- Okay
32. Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta(DLC)(PC)- Buggy Crap
33. Fallout 3: Point Lookout(DLC)(PC)- Great
34. Dying Light(Xbox One)- Great
35. Sunset Overdrive(Xbox One)- Great
36. Murdered Soul Suspect(Xbox One)- Okay

Murdered Soul Suspect

I wanted to like this game, but overall it is really mediocre. There just isn't any challenge here unless you are a completetionist and have to collect all 250-300 collectible items scattered around the game world. Basically you are the brightest detective in Salem who just happens to have recently become worm food thanks to a mysterious serial killer. Now with your ghostly powers you are tasked with solving your murder and putting an end your killers murder spree. To do so you are tasked with investigating crime scenes, gathering evidence, and seeking the help of a medium to expose the truth.

The strongest points of he game are the investigations which involve you exploring various crimes scenes looking for the 7-16 clues in the environment then picking the 2-3 relevant ones to trigger a cut scene which reenacts what happened. Most of the clues are pretty easy to spot but you have to be standing almost directly on them and staring at them at just the right angle to investigate them at times so there were some later cases that had 2-3 clues that I couldn't find, but they weren't necessary in order to solve the crime scenes they were connected to. Aside from that the logic puzzles involved with collecting some pieces of evidence as well as solving the overall case is very generous even in normal mode since you are offered 3 chances to get it right and usually they are so easy that unless you speed through them the answers are obvious. Over the course of the game I only needed to make a second attempt at logic puzzles maybe 2-3 times.

Another great element is your ghosts powers it's pretty cool being able to walk through walls, possessions, and eventually a teleport which has a short range but is really handy. You can also poltergeist some objects but it's very restrictive and for the most part is pointless aside from a handful of stealth sections. Sadly the game seems to get more and more restrictive as you go with later environments being smaller and featuring more solid "ghost" walls that you can't pass through.

The combat/stealth on the other hand is the worst part of the game. At most you will be facing 4 demons in the environment at a time and since there are no combat mechanics outside of a stealth insta kill it's just a matter of waiting for them to separate and then picking them off one at a time which is insanely easy since unlike them you can see through walls and are even shown their vision cone when using your abilities. The sections with demons aren't very frequent either so you really aren't faced with a threat for probably 70% of the game aside from patches in the floor that can kill you, but are easily avoidable plus can be escaped with a simple quick time event.

Length wise I would guess I probably sunk 5-8 hours in the game but there isn't really a ton to the environment and everything takes place in the span of a single night so it felt like things went really fast. Outside of the main story there isn't really a ton to do aside from the collectible items scattered around the environment which give you little factoids or small stories about specific location. There are a few ghosts which you can help along to the afterlife by investigating the events surrounding their death but most of those are pretty brief taking anywhere from 2-10 minutes if you don't accidentally overlook a clue.

As for performance/bugs the game runs pretty smoothly, but graphically it doesn't rise above the quality of an average 360 game. There is also the occasional bit of slow down as well as some rather bad timing issues with the subtitles that at times hop ahead of dialogue or lag way behind. Later game once you get the teleport ability I also managed to break some areas which resulted in character models not loading into scenes. Luckily there are plenty of check points and restarting and following the path the game wanted me to fixed the issue, but I found myself using teleport less and less out of a fear of causing an environment to fail to load key items/characters.

Finally the story isn't super impressive, but it is interesting enough to keep you going. If I were to rate the story quality I would give it a C+ overall, but with a solid A+ twist at the end that I wasn't expecting.

Overall it's not a bad bargain bin game if you find it for around $10.
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:17 pm

MrPopo wrote:I beat Super Return of the Jedi when I was younger, so now I just have Empire on my list to finish.

Play 'em both back to back.

Here is the weird thing for me about Super Star Wars: One of the first levels has a lava pit, inside a sandcrawler that is pretty awful and is the only part I have difficulty with. Besides that I love the game.

You will love and hate Sky City in Empire.

BATMAN Genesis

Again. I beat this game repeadetly every year, and it never gets old. Far from being a great Batman game, and even far from being a great game in general, I have a fondness for it.

You are Batman, and you punch, kick, and for some reason jump on bad guys. You fly the Batplane, drive the batmobile, and yeah...that's it, but it is a fun game with great music and easily beatable on the first play.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:08 am

I beat Mickey's Speedway USA on the N64 this evening.

The game is a normal kart racer for the time, but with regular Disney characters instead. The game has some balance issues as it is nearly impossible to catch up when you are far behind and the last few tracks are unnecessarily hard. However, it is pretty good for a kart racer and can be really fun at times. It was made by Rare, so it feels much like Diddy Kong Racing does. Not terribly exciting, but a fan game nonetheless.
Return to General Gaming