BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:18 pm

Blu wrote:

Toad!? Peach!? Yes.

Rosalina!?

BOWSER!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 29, 2015 7:44 pm

Beat Wrath of the Black Manta. A weird sort of amalgam of Shinobi and Rolling Thunder, but not as good as either. He moves awfully slow for a ninja. The last battle is a sort of puzzle battle, you have to use the right arts in the right order to win.
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:25 pm

A Wolf Among Us (01/03/15)
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX+ (All courses S ranked on 01/08/15)
Distance (beta 3315, 01/11/15)
Shantae: Risky's Revenge- Director's Cut (01/16/15)
Sega Bass Fishing (01/17/15)
Fairy Bloom Freesia (01/17/15)
BasketBelle (01/18/15)
Tiny & Big: in Grandpa's Leftovers (01/20/15)
Sideway: New York (01/22/15)
Doom 64 EX (01/23/15)
Shadow of the Ninja (NES, 01/29/15)

This game has come up a few times in conversations on this forum with people raving about it next to the likes of Ninja Gaiden and Shinobi. I decided to give it a go and it's quite enjoyable, albeit difficult. I somehow had never played it back in the day. I played this version via emulator and I don't think I could have beaten this without save states. The game only gives you 5 continues, with one life per game. And it beats the crap out of you unless you are utterly precise when fighting. You have to know the cues for when an enemy is going to attack and respond immediately by moving the precise direction away to avoid getting hit. You will have to do this regularly because most enemies take several hits to kill and they will attack several times during that time frame. You'll find your health bar quickly dropping if you don't get a hang of things quick. It also requires some fairly precise platforming skill, though the jumps were usually manageable with the exception of one somewhat challenging floating platform stage late in the game. The graphics were quite impressive for the NES days and it has an energetic soundtrack that keeps the game exciting, even when you're getting frustrated by an enemy that lobs six bombs in the air that you have to dodge while some other flying thing is gunning for your head. I still prefer Ninja Gaiden, but Shadow of the Ninja is a great game, even if it is a bit demanding with what is required to avoid enemy attacks.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:28 pm

1. Devil's Attorney (Android) 7/10
2. Resident Evil 5 (360) 8/10
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360) 8/10
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) 9/10
5. Gears of War (360) 7/10
Gears Of War is one of the originators of the third person cover shooter genre, and it does so with gusto. Epic Games had already established themselves as masters of frenetic combat with their Unreal Tournament series, so adding cover shooting wasn't much of a stretch. But while Gears Of War has excellent shooter combat, it falters in many other aspects. The storyline feels inconsequential, the OST is generic Hollywood sludge, environments are bland and repetitive, and sometimes the game design is simply not fun (kryll sections and berserker battles instance). However the excellent graphics, fantastic co-op splitscreen, and the sheer bliss of chainsawing enemies in half will keep you going.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Jan 29, 2015 11:29 pm

Oh, awesome. Shadow of the Ninja is one of my favorite gems in the NES library. I have managed to beat it legit, and I suspect you could too if you try. It does require a good amount of precision and practice, though.

I completely understand why folks would cotton more to Ninja Gaiden, though, just from an accessibility standpoint. Everything is a lot more immediate, where Shadow has a sort of momentum to it, and not quite the rapid pace.

And Iku Mizutani freakin' rocks. Both this game and Shatterhand have stellar soundtracks. I'd also recommend Dragon Fighter for more Mizutani goodness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HsxmthsHbiI

Oh, right, this is an obvious place to post my favorite remix from Shadow of the Ninja. ansgaros from the Dwelling of Duels competition: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m_aEo8S8w3o
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:07 am

I have played Shatterhand and I like it, but I never beat it. That may need to be my next conquest.
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Jan 30, 2015 1:52 am

1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2
3. Wasteland 2 - PC
4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep - PC

Slightly more than a reskin of the original, but the few interesting things they add are hurt by the problems.

The biggest thing they've added is the melee weapons. They're incredibly useful for the Lobstermen and they're great to use with the MC (renamed psychic powers) due to how low their TU cost is. They've expanded the terror missions to have a wider range (port, island resort, two map cargo ship) and they added the alien artifact site which are a terror mission variant (no civilians, but even worse to ignore or immediately dust off).

But this gets undercut by the terrible way they've cocked up the research tree. You basically have to research all the armors before you can even get the first sub upgrade. And then all the weapons have reduced ammo and they removed auto fire from all the sonic (plasma) weaponry. Fortunately, MC is as overpowered as ever.

Honestly, X-COM UFO Defense is overall better. I'd only recommend this if you want more.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Jan 30, 2015 5:51 am

Exhuminator wrote:Gears Of War

The series basically gets better and better as it goes (though Judgment isn't as good as the main trilogy). If you are on the fence with playing the next two, I think you'd probably like them a good deal.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Jan 30, 2015 9:11 am

dsheinem wrote:If you are on the fence with playing the next two, I think you'd probably like them a good deal.

Thanks for the information. I was on the fence to be honest, but if you say the series gets better as it continues, I'll take your word on it. The co-op in this series is pretty good.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:43 am

MrPopo wrote:1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2
3. Wasteland 2 - PC
4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep

How the eff is it possible to do this before the end of Jan? Dayamn.
Return to General Gaming