18. Castlevania - NES
19. Super Castlevania IV - SNES
20. Castlevania III - NES
21. Castlevania II - NES
22. Castlevania Rondo of Blood - Turbo CD
23. Heretic: Shadow of the Serpent Riders - PC
24. Fractal - PC
25. Kirby's Adventure - NES

First you draw a circle, then you dot the eyes. Add a great big smile and presto, it's Kirby!

This was a game I remembered renting as a kid, getting all the way to the last boss, but being unable to defeat him, no matter how many times I continued. Now as an adult I can see that the last boss is really about having patience; if you sit in the right corner and wait for an opening he won't be able to touch you, but if you to go all out attacking he's going to destroy you (speedrunners non-withstanding). He's only vulnerable at select moments during certain moves, and you have to wait for your chance.

But beyond that, it's a well put together NES game that manages to be more difficult than the original on the Game Boy even though it adds a ton of powers for Kirby to use. Some of that is due to a surprising amount of Castlevania bat style enemies that knock you around when you aren't expecting it. If it weren't for the copious health powerups it'd be much more of an evil game.

And the UFO is the best powerup since the Goomba boot.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Xeogred Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:25 am

Definitely one of my favorites on the NES. Absolutely gorgeous game that pushed it to the limits too. To be honest, I've played a handful of other Kirby games but I don't think they compare at all to Adventure.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Sat Apr 11, 2015 2:27 am

I beat Kirby's Adventure back in 2012 for the first time and it was my favorite game that I beat that year.

The game is just fun and discovering all the power ups is really exciting. Also, the game has a great way of slowly ramping up the difficulty to the point that you don't even notice it. It is not like there is a sudden spike or crazy hard level out of nowhere. By the time you get to the final level, you are prepared and ready to face its challenges. It is a well put together game and one of my favorites on the NES.

Congratulations! :D
J T
Next-Gen

by J T Sat Apr 11, 2015 3:05 am

MrPopo wrote: First you draw a circle, then you dot the eyes. Add a great big smile and presto, it's Kirby!

(つ-'_'-)つ
My contributions to the Racketboy site:
Browser Games ... Free PC Games ... Mixtapes ... Doujin Games ... SotC Poetry
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 11, 2015 10:16 am

I've realized that Kirby is a menace to society.

In Dreamland he attacks the reigning monarch to steal the food reserves and gorge himself. Then in Adventure he unleashes Dracula and then blows a huge chunk out of the moon.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
marurun

by marurun Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:20 am

So you are saying that Kirby is just an SD/chibi version of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Ack

by Ack Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:35 am

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)

Another Catacomb game is down Armageddon is the second of the "Catacomb Adventure" trilogy that Softdisk released on their own after id Software moved on to other things. This version sees the hero, Petton Everhail, coming to modern times to defeat Nemesis, his clones, and his powered up army. This game is harder than the previous one in the CA trilogy, Catacomb Abyss, partly because you must contend with multiple weaker incarnations of the final boss(including one 3-on-1 fight in the final level that was the hardest part of the game), more enemies with projectiles, more enemies that cannot be hurt at first until they perform some kind of animation to activate, and even one enemy type early on that can hurt you even after it dies.

Yet I'm ok with this, because all of the high points of the first game were beefed up for the second, so everything is bigger and badder. The base gameplay is still the same, so you still have your base attack, two special spells, potions to heal, etc., but up against two-headed mutant demons, it seems like you'll need every bit of it. I had a blast with this game, plunging into beds of giant ants, watching skeletons pull themselves off the walls, fighting living statues, etc. I look forward to Catacomb Apocalypse!
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Apr 11, 2015 11:41 am

Whoa nice hyperlinks guys.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:17 pm

marurun wrote:So you are saying that Kirby is just an SD/chibi version of the Stay Puft Marshmallow Man?

Yup, we look at him and we think he could never harm us. Oh how wrong we are.
marurun

by marurun Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:54 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Whoa nice hyperlinks guys.

Seconded. I'm reading a bunch of back-reviews now.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Return to General Gaming