Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Mar 06, 2015 4:31 pm

dsheinem wrote:kindergardener co-op

I have found that this "mode" adds quite a bit of challenge. :lol: Assuming your son is good at following directions, the "co-op" mode actually makes Child of Light a bit easier.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Mar 06, 2015 7:11 pm

The list so far ...
9. Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels [SNES/bsnes v084]
10. King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGD Interactive) [PC]

Super Mario All-Stars: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels
Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels is a Super Mario fever dream hallucinated through a fog of several consecutive bad acid trips and moments of religious epiphany. The gaming world tends to think of Shigeru Miyamoto as that super fun uncle from your childhood who was always cracking jokes and teaching you magic tricks. This conveniently overlooks that one time the uncle in question got completely shitfaced and told you he was going to teach you how to wrestle since you looked, "scrawnier than a six year old girl". After slamming you to the floor for the fifth time, and clumsily dislocating your shoulder, he told you to "get up and stop acting like a pussy; you're an embarrassment to your family". So yeah, that experience pretty much encapsulates this game. On the one hand it is a trial by fire intended to forge and galvanize you into a better (SMB) player. On the other hand, it leaves you feeling battered, frustrated and powerless to effectively fight back at times, even after the difficulty has been dialed back for the purposes of Super Mario All-Stars. The game goes out of its way to alternately challenge, harass and/or troll the player. I was reminded of this phenomenon at one point in World 8 when I stumbled on a warp zone that takes you to World 5 … and I wasn't even looking for a warp zone! (I usually try to avoid warp zones in SMB games). At other points in the game you'll find that the flagpole jump is one of the more difficult jumps in the level, meaning that they put the goal within sight only to yank the football away from you at the last moment (AAUGH!).

The game is a very challenging platformer to put it mildly. But even after all of that, it's still a quality Mario game through and through. It never gets so frustrating that you feel like giving up on the game altogether (although it certainly encourages you to take an occasional break). Furthermore the All-Stars version graciously grants you some accords that help to make the game more manageable. Among other things the game allows you to save your progress at the end of every level (rather than at the end of every World as in the SMB1 All-Stars version). Starting each game with five lives, rather than three, also further aides in the management of difficulty. However, even with these concessions in place, it will likely be good old fashioned pattern memorization (and a dash of luck) that sees you through. Your gains will occasionally be made in inches, but with perseverance you'll eventually arrive to rescue the eminently kidnapable Princess Peach.

SMB: The Lost Levels is a challenging slog through old school Mario mechanics, but it's an adventure not to be missed for diehard Mario fans, and a great thrill ride for all fans of the platformer genre.
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGD Interactive)
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown represents one of my earliest exposures to PC gaming proper. Although I had my trusty NES console growing up (and much later an SNES that I saved up enough money to purchase myself), I never had my own computer until I entered college. So any exposure I had to PC gaming as a young person came in the form or stolen glimpses at friends' houses coupled with occasional chances at actual play time. As a result, many of these early adventure games like this one still have this mystical quality of 'otherness' for me, as if I'm still an outsider looking in at these incredible yet inaccessible worlds.

So it's with a very odd sense of nostalgia that I'm finally embarking into the King's Quest series, although I suppose it is somewhat interesting in a meta-textual sense that I've opted to play the AGD Interactive fan remake rather than the actual version of Kings Quest I remember seeing as a kid. Meta textual mumbo jumbo aside, I had almost forgotten about this fan effort, and I'm extremely glad I had the spark of memory because this is a beautiful and lovingly rendered tribute to the original.

As far as graphical adventure games go, this is of course one of the progenitors; so while it's clear that they were still figuring out (one might say defining) the way a graphical adventure should work, it's remarkably held up quite well. There are certainly some puzzles that are non sequiturs (the Rumpelstiltskin thing is a bit of a stretch even with the visual clues in place), but most of them can be sussed out with a bit of exploration of surroundings. In terms of gameplay, the interface is fine for what it is, although if gaming forum posts are to be believed, the notorious condor grab is actually a bit harder in the AGDI version of the game.

One rather amazing update in the AGD Interactive version of KQI is that there is full audio voice work for all narration and character dialog. This is one of those features that was really quite amazing at first, but I'm afraid the novelty wore off rather quickly. Despite the fact that AGDI enlisted the vocal talents of Josh Mandel who voiced King Graham in the official release of King's Quest V and VI, I'm afraid most of the voice work here chews up the scenery in glorious fashion … but oh that lush, beautiful scenery. No problem I think to myself, I'll just turn the VO off … and that's where I hit a roadblock. You can turn the VO audio down, but you can't turn it completely off. It's not game ruining, but at a certain point I definitely would have preferred to simply read everything, rather than listen to yet another line of flat lifeless delivery. Still … the graphical overhaul that AGD Interactive has created here is really something marvelous, and IMO it far outweighs any qualms I might have with the voice acting.

I look forward to journeying onward into the world of King's Quest, and I'll definitely be continuing on with the AGD Interactive releases of KQ II and III. I highly recommend these releases for adventure gamers, as well as for those like me who are just starting the King's Quest series.
Last edited by nullPointer on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:59 pm, edited 3 times in total.
wclem
Next-Gen

by wclem Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:17 pm

1. Resident Evil 4 (PS3) Digital
2. Resident Evil 6 (PS3) Disc Version
3. Dying Light (PS4) Disc Version
4. Red Dead Redemption (PS3) Disc Version (Replay)
5. Batman Arkham City (PS3) Disc Version
6. The Order (PS4) Disc Version
7. Valiant Hearts (PS4) Digital Version

My thought on Valiant Hearts is as follows:

What a fucked up ending, good but fucked up.

Go play it..... free right now for plus members on PS4.
dsheinem wrote:In any case, sorry that my avatar makes you cringe these days, but I haven't really changed my posing habits at all.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:10 pm

nullPointer wrote:King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown represents one of my earliest exposures to PC gaming proper. Although I had my trusty NES console growing up (and much later an SNES that I saved up enough money to purchase myself), I never had my own computer until I entered college. So any exposure I had to PC gaming as a young person came in the form or stolen glimpses at friends' houses coupled with occasional chances at actual play time. As a result, many of these early adventure games like this one still have this mystical quality of 'otherness' for me, as if I'm still an outsider looking in at these incredible yet inaccessible worlds.

So it's with a very odd sense of nostalgia that I'm finally embarking into the King's Quest series, although I suppose it is somewhat interesting in a meta-textual sense that I've opted to play the AGD Interactive fan remake rather than the actual version of Kings Quest I remember seeing as a kid. Meta textual mumbo jumbo aside, I had almost forgotten about this fan effort, and I'm extremely glad I had the spark of memory because this is a beautiful and lovingly rendered tribute to the original.

As far as graphical adventure games go, this is of course one of the progenitors; so while it's clear that they were still figuring out (one might say defining) the way a graphical adventure should work, it's remarkably held up quite well. There are certainly some puzzles that are non sequiturs (the Rumpelstiltskin thing is a bit of a stretch even with the visual clues in place), but most of them can be sussed out with a bit of exploration of surroundings. In terms of gameplay, the interface is fine for what it is, although if gaming forum posts are to be believed, the notorious condor grab is actually a bit harder in the AGDI version of the game.

One rather amazing update in the AGD Interactive version of KQI is that there is full audio voice work for all narration and character dialog. This is one of those features that was really quite amazing at first, but I'm afraid the novelty wore off rather quickly. Despite the fact that AGDI enlisted the vocal talents of Josh Mandel who voiced King Graham in the official release of King's Quest V and VI, I'm afraid most of the voice work here chews up the scenery in glorious fashion … but oh that lush, beautiful scenery. No problem I think to myself, I'll just turn the VO off … and that's where I hit a roadblock. You can turn the VO audio down, but you can't turn it completely off. It's not game ruining, but at a certain point I definitely would have preferred to simply read everything, rather than listen to yet another line of flat lifeless delivery. Still … the graphical overhaul that AGD Interactive has created here is really something marvelous, and IMO it far outweighs any qualms I might have with the voice acting.

I look forward to journeying onward into the world of King's Quest, and I'll definitely be continuing on with the AGD Interactive releases of KQ II and III. I highly recommend these releases for adventure gamers, as well as for those like me who ate just starting the King's Quest series.

This is a very interesting write up. I am actually very interested on your thoughts as you progress through the series and absolutely endorse your decision to play the AGD Interactive versions of the first three. The second game in the series is a HUGE departure story-wise and adds elements that bring together the entire series together. I find it to be an above and beyond improvement over the original. It may share the same setting and overall puzzle arcs, but the execution is different and, like I said, the added story elements improve it greatly. I can not stress how good it is.

The third in the series is more faithful to the original and in all honesty, either can be played. King's Quest III is standalone awesome and well executed, even in its original form and offers a lot of fun and exciting puzzles that were never replicated in the rest of the series.

You will see, if you ever decide to tackle the Perils of Rosella, the more archaic style of story and puzzles that the original series have and will be a good place to make a distinction between AGD and Sierra.

If you end up enjoying the series, I highly recommend going through the Space Quest and Police Quest series for more of a typical Sierra experience, but if you want to really engage yourself in a great series that you will absolutely adore playing through entirely, go for the Quest for Glory series. It is a great adventure/action-RPG mix and carrying your character over into all 5 games is well worth the experience, which is one you could play again and again to experience all the puzzles and various unique story elements that each class provides.

Keep it up and can't wait to hear more of your thoughts!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Mar 06, 2015 10:44 pm

KQ4, KQ5, and KQ6 are the holy trinity of that series for me. Those games were magic when I was a kid.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:15 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:This is a very interesting write up. I am actually very interested on your thoughts as you progress through the series and absolutely endorse your decision to play the AGD Interactive versions of the first three. The second game in the series is a HUGE departure story-wise and adds elements that bring together the entire series together. I find it to be an above and beyond improvement over the original. It may share the same setting and overall puzzle arcs, but the execution is different and, like I said, the added story elements improve it greatly. I can not stress how good it is.

The third in the series is more faithful to the original and in all honesty, either can be played. King's Quest III is standalone awesome and well executed, even in its original form and offers a lot of fun and exciting puzzles that were never replicated in the rest of the series.

You will see, if you ever decide to tackle the Perils of Rosella, the more archaic style of story and puzzles that the original series have and will be a good place to make a distinction between AGD and Sierra.

If you end up enjoying the series, I highly recommend going through the Space Quest and Police Quest series for more of a typical Sierra experience, but if you want to really engage yourself in a great series that you will absolutely adore playing through entirely, go for the Quest for Glory series. It is a great adventure/action-RPG mix and carrying your character over into all 5 games is well worth the experience, which is one you could play again and again to experience all the puzzles and various unique story elements that each class provides.

Keep it up and can't wait to hear more of your thoughts!

Thanks man! Yeah I've definitely been in the mood classic adventure gaming lately. In truth I had to talk myself into starting Quake for this months Together Retro. I'm glad that I did, because Quake has been awesome, but yeah I'm also looking forward to delving back into the kingdom of Daventry. As I mentioned in my write up, these games have always seemed a bit ungraspable to me, so it's a treat to finally start unraveling the mystery.

Thanks so much for your insight into the series. It's always great to have a bit of insight going in.

Quest for Glory and Space Quest are definitely in the backlog. Quest for Glory is in my GOG library, and I was hoping that the Space Quest titles would pop up in the GOG Insomnia sale, but alas to no avail. I'm super jacked to see how Quest for Glory plays out over 5 titles with the ability to import saves and whatnot. Should be a blast!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:29 pm

nullPointer wrote:Thanks man! Yeah I've definitely been in the mood classic adventure gaming lately. In truth I had to talk myself into starting Quake for this months Together Retro. I'm glad that I did, because Quake has been awesome, but yeah I'm also looking forward to delving back into the kingdom of Daventry. As I mentioned in my write up, these games have always seemed a bit ungraspable to me, so it's a treat to finally start unraveling the mystery.

Thanks so much for your insight into the series. It's always great to have a bit of insight going in.

Quest for Glory and Space Quest are definitely in the backlog. Quest for Glory is in my GOG library, and I was hoping that the Space Quest titles would pop up in the GOG Insomnia sale, but alas to no avail. I'm super jacked to see how Quest for Glory plays out over 5 titles with the ability to import saves and whatnot. Should be a blast!

I can not stress enough how good the Quest for Glory series is. You will not be disappointed! Good luck man and if I miss a post on your thoughts on these series, just pm me and let me know!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:35 am

1. Devil's Attorney (Android) (lawyer strategy) (good game)
2. Resident Evil 5 (360) (survival horror cover shooter) (good game)
3. Sonic & All-Stars Racing Transformed (360) (kart racer) (good game)
4. Dragon Quest VIII (PS2) (classic JRPG) (amazing game)
5. Gears of War (360) (dudebro cover shooter) (decent game)
6. Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita) (Tomb Raider with a penis) (decent game)
7. Orcs & Elves (DS) (Id style dungeon crawler) (good game)
8. From The Abyss (DS) (simple action-RPG) (decent game)
9. Army of Two (360) (co-op cover shooter) (decent game)
10. Psychic World (Master System) (sadistic platformer) (subpar game)
11. Endless Ocean: Blue World (Wii) (adventure/simulation) (amazing game)
12. Journey to Silius (NES) (sadistic platformer) (decent game)
13. Sword Master (NES) (hack'n'slash platformer) (subpar game)
14. Project: Snowblind (PC) (thinking man's FPS) (good game)
15. Yakyuuken Part II - Gal's Dungeon (Famicom) (stripping maze puzzle) (decent game)
16. Bishoujo Sexy Derby (Famicom) (stripping horse racing) (terrible game)
17. SiN Episodes: Emergence (PC) (amateur hour FPS) (subpar game)
In 2006 Ritual Entertainment attempted a reboot of their original SiN franchise using an episodic format. The studio also utilized Valve's Source engine and Steam digital DRM verification/delivery system in doing so. Ritual Entertainment was the first developer to produce an episodic game via internet delivery without a publisher in this way. The game they produced, SiN Episodes Emergence, deserves a place in history for this one reason. Its inception and delivery was forward thinking indeed. Unfortunately the actual game Ritual produced was anything but forward thinking in inherent design.

Sin Episodes Emergence draws obvious inspiration from Valve's Half-Life series, but the inspiration is delivered substandardly. Graphically Emergence looks quite clean, but its locales and enemy designs are utterly banal. Witness such level wonderlands as a warehouse, a sewer, and an office building. Be amazed at the textures of water coolers and rusty pipes. Ninety percent of the enemies you kill will be the same exact grunt mercenary hundreds of times. You will get a total of three weapons; a pistol, a shotgun, and a machine gun. And they are as boring to use as they sound. It will likely take all of 30 minutes playing Emergence before it begins to feel monotonous. Fortunately gunplay is quite tight in Emergence, and is really the only redeeming aspect. The fundamental FPS shooting is indeed solid enough to carry the rest of the mess. Unfortunately this game has a dynamic difficulty adjustment system that punishes you greatly if you actually play it well. The dynamic difficulty was a TERRIBLE idea and I believe added only to artificially lengthen this thankfully brief game.

Ritual Entertainment had high hopes for the SiN series being episodic without a middleman publisher. But it's little wonder that when MumboJumbo bought Ritual they canceled their SiN dreams. With a bad plot, monotonous level design, extremely repetitive gameplay, and practically zero innovation for its genre, SiN Episodes Emergence is quite sinful indeed. However Emergence did introduce many a gamer to the lovely models Cindy Synnett and Bianca Beauchamp, so that counts for something. Even if its method of introducing them was as shallow and base as this crummy shooter itself.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:37 pm

1. Painkiller - PC
2. Front Mission 4 - PS2
3. Wasteland 2 - PC
4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep - PC
6. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16
7. Unreal - PC
8. Shadowrun - SNES
9. Warcraft III - PC
10. Dungeon Keeper - PC
11. Final Fantasy X-2 HD - PS3
12. Descent - PC
13. Quake Mission Pack 2 - Dissolution of Eternity

I finished one of the two games I'm playing as part of this month's Together Retro. My thoughts are in the TR thread.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Sat Mar 07, 2015 1:52 pm

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)

5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

I am not a huge Zelda fan. The only Zelda I've finished before this is A Link to the Past. Its not that I don't like Zelda games, it just seems that they rarely manage to really grab my attention. This one managed.

This game took everything that made A Link to the Past a timeless classic and added the best of what was learned in game design the 20+ years since that game was made. Visually it was pleasant, the gameplay was solid and the pacing was perfect for my tastes.

Where this game really won me over was the puzzles. I was never truly frustrated by a difficult puzzle, and at the same time there was a real sense of satisfaction each time I progressed past something new. Everything was intuitive to some extent, but rarely was the solution to a new challenge truly obvious.

If I have a complaint, it is that most of the game was too easy. Aside from the first boss(where I was still getting a feel for things) and the final battle(which I thought got the difficulty about right) I never felt much in danger of dying.

I know on a lot of lists this is chosen as the best game for the 3DS, and while I prefer Fire Emblem(because I am a huge SRPG fan), I agree that this game would be a pleasure for nearly anyone.
Return to General Gaming