4. Arcanum - PC
5. X-COM Terror from the Deep - PC
6. Military Madness - TurboGrafx-16
7. Unreal - PC
8. Shadowrun - SNES
9. Warcraft III - PC
10. Dungeon Keeper - PC
11. Final Fantasy X-2 HD - PS3

Well, I must say, this is a very disjointed game. I can definitely see why a lot of people who give it a chance still don't like it, and I personally doubt I'd play this game again because most Final Fantasies are better.

Firstly, the general layout of how the game's story goes. It really does feel like they took some cues from Romancing SaGa 3, but then added in some fixed points to keep you on track with the story. Romancing SaGa 3 forces you to discover the overall story of the game as you go through and unlock the various events. This ends up getting a decently organic story going. However, X-2 both starts each chapter with letting you know where the main story missions are AND makes all the side story feel like you're faffing about and ignoring what's actually going on. Much of the side story stuff ends up fleshing out the general theme of how the world of Spira is developing now that they don't have to live under the constant threat of Sin as well as wrapping up a lot of lingering threads from X such as the Ronso vs. Guado conflit. Additionally, until you start doing the side stuff you don't get a good indication that it'd be a really good idea to do so, which can lead to someone only doing the main story and ending up incredibly under leveled. The flip side is you end up being rather overleveled against bosses when you do the side quests, though many of the random encounters late in the game tend to be ball busters. Most egregiously the final dungeon is half pushover mobs and half mobs that are harder than any of the forms of the final boss.

The next thing that ends up being weird is the schizophrenic nature of the tone of the story. The story bounces back and forth between a bubbly girls night out and some real heavy "the more things change" themes. And then at the end Yuna ends up going "oops, by the way this entire journey I've been secretly concealing MASSIVE angst over the ending of X (and not just Tidus going poof)". It really feels like an ass pull, though not nearly as bad as Necron.

The less said about 100% completion, the better. See Persona 3's initial release for a good example of how to make it exacting but exactly describable and the other releases of P3 and P4 for making it hard but doable for the dedicated.

But all of that could be forgiven if the mechanics are compelling. And this is the biggest disappointment in my mind. Put simply the job system is barely more advanced than the job system in Final Fantasy III, and there are a TON of filler abilities on every job. The problem is that they give every job ~20 learnable abilities, either command abilities or passive abilities. However, you need to be in that job to be able to use any of that (barring a few items or garment grids that enable a particular job's abilities), which means you lose that awesome customization you see in FFV, FFT, and Bravely Default that makes the jobs so compelling. Additionally, since there's so many abilities you end up seeing a lot of repeated mechanics between jobs (do some damage, do slightly different damage, etc) and most of the abilities are terrible anyway. I think the Gunner gets it worse, as the entire reason the job exists is to show off the chain system with Trigger Happy (and abuse Catnip in the original release), as every single one of its other command abilities are lower DPS than just attacking when your turn is up. The game does have a fairly active ATB due to the way abilities charge and are executed, plus the chain system. It ends up being a less precise version of the Grandia 2 battle system in some respects, as it can be very profitable to properly time everything so they weave together. But it simply doesn't save the overall disappointing gameplay (and Mix is as broken as ever).

Oh, and one final thing; this game shoves your face in the fact that X was just a series of corridors as linear as XIII's, it's just that X did a better job of hiding it. But when you do five chapters of revisiting every area per chapter you realize very quickly what's up.

I'm not sad I played through the game, but it definitely was a disappointment. It ranks quite low in my Final Fantasy rating.

Now back to Descent, though I wouldn't be shocked if Homeworld steals my attention soon.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Blu
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Blu Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:34 pm

1. Super Smash Brothers - N64 (January 3)
2. Shovel Knight - Wii U (January 6)
3. NES Remix - Wii U (January 14)
4. NES Remix 2 - Wii U (January 14)
5. Streets of Rage - Genesis (January 16)
6. F-Zero - SNES (January 21)
7. Super Mario 3D World - Wii U (January 28)
8. Hyrule Warriors - Wii U (February 5)
9. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask 3D - 3DS (February 23)

I haven't played this game since I beat it in 2001. So I was slightly unsure if I'd like the remake. The cult following this game has was something I didn't quite fully understand. Everyone praises it for all of its substories, the deep psychological examinations and themes that are present. I guess when I was played it my freshman year of high school I wasn't exactly perceptive to those aspects of the game. This time through, I really enjoyed reading some of the back story, some of the Japanese cultural aspects - significance of the number four in Japan, the stages of grief present in the game, etc. It all seemed to hit home a little more than when I played it back in 2001. The game is deep. I like the methodical nature and attention to detail you have to have in order to have a 100% completion rate. I didn't bother going after all of the heart pieces, but I did get all of the masks and explore a fair amount. Sometimes it's a pain in the ass to have to reset time, but it's almost encouraging to start right back up after you go back to the first day. The Fierce Deity mask was a pain in the ass to get, but I must've blocked out those last moments in the subdungeons when I played it way back when.

You all should pick this one up. The 3D makes it pretty enjoyable, it looks and controls great, and it's sure to entertain and delight. It deserves to be a part of your collection, is a piece of gaming history. 9.9/10
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:37 pm

So Hydlide is pretty hard.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:51 pm

dsheinem wrote:So Hydlide is pretty hard.

Don't just pop something on your list at "H" because you need a placeholder: earn it. You'll feel better.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Feb 26, 2015 1:58 pm

noiseredux wrote:
dsheinem wrote:So Hydlide is pretty hard.

Don't just pop something on your list at "H" because you need a placeholder: earn it. You'll feel better.

will do!

I was glad to see that I didn't return to find you'd listed Elevator Action in this thread like a chump :)
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:00 pm

Yeah Dave, is this alphabetical list a sub-section of your game conquistadoring? If not, are you going to have your momentum slowed in reaching the 500 games beaten mark in 5.5 years?

I'd suggest Hyrule Warriors, Half-Life 1/2, Halo, Hydro Thunder even! Hydlide is at best a primitive Zelda. Are you playing it on NES?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:01 pm

nah I figure I'll work on Eggerland for a couple more months, then I'll post Elevator Action in disgust sometime around May, then start an F game that I lose interest in just in time to beat one game of the ten I've picked for my Summer Gaming list. It's gonna be awesome and anticlimactic.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 26, 2015 2:13 pm

Hydlide is easy if you know exactly what you're supposed to do. Of course the game doesn't give much in way of hints.

I like the whole Hydlide series quite a bit. It definitely has that old PC-88/MSX charm to it.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Feb 26, 2015 3:47 pm

Blu wrote:Yeah Dave, is this alphabetical list a sub-section of your game conquistadoring? If not, are you going to have your momentum slowed in reaching the 500 games beaten mark in 5.5 years?

I'd suggest Hyrule Warriors, Half-Life 1/2, Halo, Hydro Thunder even! Hydlide is at best a primitive Zelda. Are you playing it on NES?

It is a sub-section, I suppose. I should easily get to 500 in 5.5 years - I just need to play about the same amount from March-June as I did in Jan-Feb.

The real question is whether upping the numbers to 600 in 6 years is feasible. I stopped short of making it a resolution for the year, but it is in the back of my head as a possibility...
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Thu Feb 26, 2015 4:39 pm

I'm shooting for 120-ish games beaten this year again (10 per month).
Return to General Gaming