Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by alienjesus Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:29 pm

1. Star Fox 2 SNES
2. Sonic Advance 2 GBA
3. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Wii U
4. Advance Wars: Dark Conflict DS
5. Joy Mech Fight Famicom

Another 2 for the list - including the first game in my new alphabet marathon!

Advance Wars: Dark Conflict
Advance Wars: Dark Conflict is game A in my alphabet maratong, and was a reboot of the series released for the DS. It eschews the colourful cartoony style of the GBA games (and the first DS game) for a darker grittier look with more realistic and American styled character art. This was a terrible choice - the game is very offputting from the outset - post apocalytpic setting, overly serious characters and an honestly uglier art style for battles.

That said, over time the game grows on you. The characters aren't a patch on the ones in Advance Wars, but they're not annoying by any means. The music isn't as catchy as the last game, but it's still very good and I enjoyed it a lot. And most importantly, it's still Advance Wars - and it's been rebalanced, generally for the better.

Units have been nerfed or buffed in several ways - the most expensive units (bombers, battleships etc) have been decreased in cost and the battleship in particular has been majorly buffed to justify it's high costs. The cheapest units are little pricier too, so choosing the more expensive units is a more reasonable choice than in previous games. A few of the more surreal or pointless units have been removed (like the black boat or stealth bomber) and a few new ones have been added which are better balanced - like the flare which allows you to light up dark squares during fog of war levels. They're not all winners though - the new fighter units (duster in the US version) I never really found much use for - they only seemed good for helicopters and infantry, and anti-airs were a better choice for that - they were cheaper, and the money saved could go to a bomber in a few turns.

CO powers have also been greatly dialed back - the effects are weaker, they're harder to charge and they can only be used if your CO is on the battlefield - you can add them to a unit to make it more powerful (the effect depends on the CO). Honestly I found this feature kinda easy to forget, and I didn't like it as much as the old system.

The story was kinda dull and predictable, but it apparently differs a fair bit between the US and PAL versions - the PAL version is truer to the Japanese script, but the US version adds a bit more character and is generally considered the better one. Even things like character names and unit names differ - the interceptor in PAL is called the fighter in the US, the fighter in PAL is called the duster in the US, the characters Catleia and Sigismundo are called Isabella and Grayfield and so on. It seems kinda redundant to change those, but whatever.

Overall, Advance Wars Dual Strike is a solid game, but it's just missing the charm of the earlier entries. I hope we see another Advance Wars game some day on 3DS, but I hope it follows the GBA style more than this one.

Joy Mech Fight
Joy Mech Fight is a fighting game released for the Famicom in 1993. This late release date probably explains why it never came west - it's not a big translation job, and it's very fun and playable and looks fantastic for the system it's on.

The story is ripped right out of Mega Man - two scientists are best buddies, and they build Robots together. One day one of them turns evil, kidnaps all the robots and tries to use them to take over the world. The other scientist reprograms a robot who wasn't designed to fight into a fighting robot and sends them out to defeat the others. You even fight the robots 8 at a time :lol: .

Although the robot you start with (Skapon) is perfectly acceptable as a fighter, the first seven robots you fight get added to your team when you beat them. You can choose any one of the 8 for any fight from that point on. There are a total of 35 battles to get through in all, with 4 of those being boss fights after each set of robots.

The battle system is pretty polished for an 8 bit fighter, although it's very simple - each robot has a standard set of moves which vary in range and power depending on the robot. These are all simple direction + button presses and there are only about 6 of them in total - punch, kick, front punch, low kick, jumping kick & jumping punch. Each robot also has 4 special moves - one of these is always a throw, but the other 3 vary quite a lot and sometimes use some odd button presses - sometimes very simple ones too. For example, all fireball type moves are done by pressing down and punch.

The game is very friendly to newcomers - it has built in demos and tutorials to show you all the robots special moves, accessible before any fight. The control scheme is also clearly design for fighting game newbies, although a couple of special moves are a little trickier to pull off (my favourite character had one which was a half circle forward + both attack buttons).

Presentation wise, the game shines. It's absolutely beautiful for an NES game, and the animation style (with characters made up of floating parts like rayman) allows the characters to animate fluidly on the 8 bit system. The music is decent, but ultimately forgettable.

Overall, the game is definitely worth the money it commands, which is actually not all that much (I paid about £12). I played it translated on my Retron5, but the translation isn't essential to enjoy the game, so if you have a method to play it, give it a go.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:48 pm

alienjesus wrote:Another 2 for the list - including the first game in my new alphabet marathon!

You're not doing all the A thru Z games back-to-back, right?
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:51 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
alienjesus wrote:Another 2 for the list - including the first game in my new alphabet marathon!

You're not doing all the A thru Z games back-to-back, right?

I'm starting the next one up as I finish the previous, but I'm playing other stuff alongside.

The next game on my list is Battle of Olympus for NES.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:12 pm

^ Awesome! I've been meaning to get that for the longest time. Almost ordered it off of eBay today but sprang for Alcahest instead.

BoO is like a $5 game in the US, which is nice.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Jan 26, 2015 7:45 pm

January

1) Rollergames
2) Bayou Billy
3) Whomp 'Em
4) Love+ (repeat, B-)
5) Love+ (repeat, B)
6) Zen: Intergalactic Ninja
7) Battletoads & Double Dragon
8 ) Battletoads (repeat, first time with Game Genie, this time using save states, nowhere near legit win... but it was "beaten")
9) Battletoads (repeat, legit, no Game Genie, no continues, no save states!)
10) Rockin' Kats
11) The Little Mermaid
12) Tiny Toons Adventures
13) Tiny Toons Adventures 2
14) Code Name: Viper
15) Bayou Billy (completely legit!)
16) King of Dragons (on Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
17) Ninja Gaiden III: The Ancient Ship of Doom
18) Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos
19) Ninja Ryuukenden III
20) Treasure of the Rudras

My word, the Japanese version is crazy easy in comparison to the US release. If not for a slip up in 6-2 and running out of time in 7-3, I'd have completed a no death run. Heck, my least favorite spot, 5-1B, has a Art of the Fire Wheel right before it! It's so easy with that.

By the way, Battle of Olympus is one I've always wanted to finish. I just never could get into it. I wonder if I'd love it more than Zelda II if it were the one I actually owned as a kid.

EDIT: Gonna update this post instead of reposting. Beat Treasure of the Rudras (or Rudra No Hihou) last night. It was a pretty decent experience overall, but I think the random battle rate started getting to me towards the end. Just way too high. But it's probably one of Kawazu's most normal games, so most folks should be able to appreciate it.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
dust_hound
24-bit

by dust_hound Tue Jan 27, 2015 4:58 pm

1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25

I REALLY liked Shadowrun Returns. Growing up in the late 80s and the 90s, it was this really cool and evocative universe which i'd heard about but never had the opportunity to explore. Even though SR is criticised for being easy and linear, i thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Played it on my Android phone which could barely run it, but i ended up playing on the bus, on the toilet, in bed at night, in my office when nobody was watching... Reading the descriptive text for each scene and the way the characters were described made it feel much more immersive for me than the most realistic graphics or animations ever could. I haven't felt this much enthusiasm to play a game in a LONG time. Even though the campaign is short, i see it more as a virtual playground where you can go through this cool murder-mystery story in an awesomely fleshed-out universe, using different cool builds each time. Looking forward to replaying, but for the moment i've moved on to the sequel.

Having picked up SR on a whim, i then hit up gog.com and grabbed the DRM-Free version of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which i hear is even better, and have started a new game... See you on the other side, Chummers!
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:58 pm

dust_hound wrote:1) Dead Space Extraction (Wii); January 3
2) Resident Evil 4 (Wii); January 11
3) Disaster: Day of Crisis (Wii); January 13
4) Sin and Punishment: Successor of the Skies (Wii); January 16
5) Shadowrun Returns (Android); January 25

I REALLY liked Shadowrun Returns. Growing up in the late 80s and the 90s, it was this really cool and evocative universe which i'd heard about but never had the opportunity to explore. Even though SR is criticised for being easy and linear, i thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Played it on my Android phone which could barely run it, but i ended up playing on the bus, on the toilet, in bed at night, in my office when nobody was watching... Reading the descriptive text for each scene and the way the characters were described made it feel much more immersive for me than the most realistic graphics or animations ever could. I haven't felt this much enthusiasm to play a game in a LONG time. Even though the campaign is short, i see it more as a virtual playground where you can go through this cool murder-mystery story in an awesomely fleshed-out universe, using different cool builds each time. Looking forward to replaying, but for the moment i've moved on to the sequel.

Having picked up SR on a whim, i then hit up gog.com and grabbed the DRM-Free version of Shadowrun: Dragonfall, which i hear is even better, and have started a new game... See you on the other side, Chummers!

Hey I'm glad you enjoyed Shadowrun Returns! It really was a blast to play! Dragonfall is supposedly vastly superior to the first and a third expansion is on the way set in Japan I believe. Can't wait to see what they come up with and this is a series that I enjoy supporting! Let us know how Dragonfall treats you!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:37 pm

Dragonfall is definitely superior to the original; rather than hiring people for each mission you have a team similar to a Bioware game, which means between mission dialogs and some personal quests (in the Director's Cut). I also felt like the mission designs were overall better in Dragonfall.

The next Shadowrun product coming out is Shadowrun Hong Kong, which just made its latest stretch goal on Kickstarter.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:09 pm

The list so far ...
5. Mega Man (NES/Nestopia v1.40)

Mega Man
Mega Man was the first game that I ever heard about via word of mouth. Bear in mind that this was before the internet, before orchestrated video game advertising campaigns, and largely before journalistic media coverage of console gaming was officially a 'thing' (this would have been somewhere around the time that Nintendo Fun Club was transitioning into Nintendo Power proper). So there I was sitting in 7th grade Algebra class. Two guys with whom I was vaguely familiar were sitting behind me whispering in hushed tones about an NES game. I remember two distinct things about their conversation. The first bit was that they described in detail how an enemy called 'Electric Man' (sic) could be easily defeated using the weapon from 'Scissor Man' (sic). The second bit was that they described this game as being the video game version of The Running Man. If you're not familiar, The Running Man is a 1987 Schwarzenegger flick set in a near future dystopia which features a handful of 'theme based' villains including (but not limited to) 'Subzero' who utilizes ice based attacks, 'Dynamo' with electric powers, and 'Buzzsaw' who … uh … uses a buzzsaw. Had I carried with me then the same sort of gaming knowledge I have now, I would have turned around to inform them that, "Actually, Smash TV is much closer to The Running Man in both plot and theme," which would have likely earned me an atomic wedgie for my troubles. Come to think of it, Smash TV hadn't even been released at the time, so it might have also required a working knowledge of time travel :shock:. At any rate, I left algebra class that day with two urgent directives in mind. 1) Play this 'Mega Man' game as soon as possible and 2) watch The Running Man. Years later Mega Man remains as an iconic timeless classic whereas The Running Man … remains firmly entrenched as a product of its time.

You can't talk about any specific Mega Man game without some mention of the bosses, as that is generally what differentiates individual entries in the series and gives each of them something of a unique character. I would say that the standouts here are Cut Man with his iconic scissor head, Ice Man for basically looking like an Eskimo with no embellishment whatsoever, and of course the Yellow Devil, who would go on to appear in several different incarnations of Dr Wily's castle. Beyond the boss characters, Mega Man also introduced us to one of the most iconic 'small scale' video game enemies of all time, the Met (which, if I'm being completely honest, I only just now learned the name of – I have always referred to them simply as 'hard hats'). So right from the start here at the genesis of Mega Man it was easy to see that the genius of the game (and later of the series as a whole) is built in large part on the strength of its character design.

Unfortunately in hindsight I tend to remember the first Mega Man as being, "that odd one that keeps track of your score". Further I tend to think of the first Mega Man as being the most difficult of the original NES series, while at the same time not having much in the way of interesting tools or mechanics (i.e. no slide attack, no robot pets, no weapon charges, etc.). Unfortunately this sort of retrospective view of the game robs it of its brilliance. In the context of its time, this game was revolutionary. It is Mega Man stripped down to the absolute bare essentials; Zen and the art of Mega Man if you will. And remarkably it still stands the test of time. The controls remain as razor sharp as they ever were, with just a touch of drift. The strategy of exploiting boss weakness is just as compelling as it's ever been, and the open level selection allows you to formulate and experiment with this strategy. It's these core mechanics that have carried the series for years, and it all started here.
Last edited by nullPointer on Wed Apr 22, 2015 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:35 am

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) *
9. Deadpool(PS3)

Surprisingly I fell in love with this game and played it straight through today :). While gameplay wasn't exactly amazing and I felt the challenge to be lacking I couldn't get enough of Deadpool. Basically Deadpool is the focus of the game and he is calling the shots. The games story is essentially centered around the games development with Deadpool breaking the third wall to bitch at the devs and the players. There are also a ton of retro references with top down dungeon levels, 2d platformers, rail shooting levels, and etc. As well as a bunch of great movie references. Basically this game is a hell of a fun ride and well worth picking up if your into Marvel or just want a game with a twisted yet hilarious sense of humor.
Return to General Gaming