Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Sarge
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Sarge Sat Aug 15, 2015 10:43 pm

Beat Ninja Gaiden II on 360. Warrior difficulty after a restart. Was wondering where that famed NG difficulty had gone, then I found out I was playing on what is considered "easy" difficulty. Warrior will suitably kick your tail.

The crash bugs suck, though. I think I had it freeze about five times, and ended up clipping through the floor or something in another. And one just said "loading" and never stopped loading. Bleagh. Doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to them, either.

Ah well, it was a pretty decent game overall. Very bloody, so if you don't want something like that, probably better to go with Sigma 2, which tones things down significantly. It was pretty ridiculous in this one.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Aug 16, 2015 1:08 am

For the 0 people here that care, I edited my Sam & Max post to include the biggest change to gameplay, the ability to play as Max.

viewtopic.php?p=996553#p996553
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Sun Aug 16, 2015 2:24 am

Kung Fury Street Rage - PS4
Gauntlet Slayer Edition - PS4

These games are both garbage. The new Gauntlet is a far cry from the fun game that was Dark Legacy and Kung Fury is a great movie that deserves better than this piece of shit game. That is all
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Ziggy587
Next-Gen

by Ziggy587 Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:34 am

Beaten:

1. Ys III - Wanderers from Ys (SNES)
2. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Hyperstone Heist (Genesis w/ EDMD)
3. Castlevania: Chronicles (PS1 on PS3)
4. From Russia With Love (PS2)
5. Star Fox Adventures (GCN on Wii) NEW

Re-beaten:

1. Super Mario All-Stars + World (SNES w/ PowerPak)
2. Castlevania Bloodlines (Genesis) (x3)
3. Super Castlevania IV (SNES)
4. Castlevania Dracula X (SNES)
5. Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1, PS3, PSP) (x3)
6. Goldeneye (N64) (x2) NEW
7. Star Fox 64 (N64) NEW

Star Fox Adventures:
Contains end game spoiler.
I've been meaning to play this game since it came out. I actually reserved a copy and pick it up on launch day! Not sure what took me so long. :lol:

This game looks AMAZING. Sometimes it's hard going back to older games (especially on an HDTV) because the graphics become too dated. Star Fox Adventures looks gorgeous. It can be played in 480p and has a widescreen option, it looks fantastic on an HDTV. It even has surround sound mode which works well. I really didn't feel like I was playing an old game, especially not one from two generations ago.

The only bad things I'd have to say about the game is that it's Zelda-like but not as good as Zelda, and the voice acting was a let down.

The layout of the game didn't seem as well defined as a Zelda. There's different areas that you have to go to which could be a substitute for Zelda dungeons. The world is set up kinda weird though. There's a hub area, there's large areas off the hub area, then dungeon-like places that you get to from the places off the hub area, and other places that you fly to in your Arwing from the hub area.

There's also a certain amount of running around that you have to do. You have to collect these spell stones things, which I guess are kind of like keys, and these spirits that you have to return to a temple. So you're constantly running to and from places. You have to travel to certain areas multiple times during the game. You have to visit almost every area a least twice. It just seemed a little unorganized (if that's the right word) compared to Wind Waker or something. Also, after a few trips around I was hoping you'd acquire an item that would let you warp back to the hub area on demand. No such item exits in the game. Luckily, the world isn't THAT big, so it doesn't take very long to get back to the hub.

Haven said that, the game is actually pretty short. I beat it in about 18 hours, which feels really short compared to a modern Zelda. That's on the long side according to How Long to Beat. Though from time to time, I do enjoy games of this length (I know a lot of us here feel this way).

The voice acting was a let down. Fox and Tricky, the two main characters, sounded fine. Everyone else sounded like clowns or people mocking other people. The last boss was the worst! SPOILER: It was an awesome surprise having Andross be the last boss, but his voice was horrific. He sound more like Bobcat Goldthwait than Andross from Star Fox 64.

Speaking of tricky, he made for pretty neat gameplay. He's like a little dog that follows you every where. He talks to you a lot too. Some times he'll say something like "Look at THIS!" as a clue, or "Wait up, Fox!" if you're running. Sometimes he'll say "Let's play!" and you can take a ball out to play fetch with him. You can tell him to stay (used to solve puzzles) and whistle for him to come. Sometimes you'll whistle and you'll hear him shout in the distance, "I'm not doing it!" There's other commands you give him, like dig for treasure or breath fire. Tricky was probably the best part of the game.

Over all, I'd say it's worth playing. Zelda-like gameplay, if you like that. Awesome graphics to look at. Feels like a Rare game, from a time when Rare made awesome games on Nintendo consoles.

Goldeneye:
For a few months now, I really felt like playing Goldeneye. So, I finally fired the cart up. I 100%'ed a new save file, getting all the cheat times. It didn't take long. Then, for some reason I wanted to do it again on my Everdrive 64. So I did. :D

Star Fox 64:
I haven't played this game in such a long time. I'm not sure what made me feel like playing it. I played through the main game a few times, as a way to get to play every level. The power went out for half a day from this freak storm we got, so that morning I played the 3DS verison. I finished up by playing the expert mode, making sure to get the real ending.
Ack

by Ack Sun Aug 16, 2015 4:54 pm

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)

I admit, I struggle to call this an FPS. It starts as an FPS, sure, but once you get your lightsaber, it basically becomes a third person shooter that switches to FPS in the few instances where you use a gun from then on. Because once you have a lightsaber and a couple of force powers, there really isn't much reason to put up with the gunplay, which I admit I wasn't actually a big fan of to begin with. Something about the weapons in this game feel off to me, so I ended up using what I had to and ignoring about 90% of my gear. I only ever used the bacta from my inventory, and once I got Force Heal...well, there wasn't much reason to keep using it either, unless it was an emergency. I'm glad to see that LucasArts finally explained stormtrooper syndrome though. The Imperial blaster couldn't hit the broadside of a barn if you were standing three feet from it. I had this issue in Dark Forces II, but it was nowhere near this bad.

Right, so while I'm not a fan of the gunplay, how were the lightsabers? Well, they are actually a lot of fun to use. Early on I tended to use Speed and rush through crowds just hacking away, but by the end of the game I found myself willing to switch between a variety of powers depending on my needs. Push became my favorite and lead to me cheesing the final boss pretty bad as well as those nasty shadow troopers. I do suggest learning the differences between lightsaber styles though. I played through most of the game in the default style, and I really hated dueling with it. I just never felt fast enough. Once I realized I could change styles, I went for a much faster attack and had far fewer issues. I'd still get stomped by the occasional shadow trooper, but I had a much easier time keeping up and playing cheap. I finally used the slow and overly aggressive lightsaber style against the final boss, and it served me well.

The levels are well designed and integrate your force powers in a variety of ways, though they are a bit heavier on platforming than I like, even moreso than Dark Forces II. I don't know who designed the comm array I had to jump around inside that big Star Destroyer-knock off, but that guy is a jerk. Most of the levels were a lot of fun to explore and examine, and while I did get stuck from time to time wondering what to do, it was usually just a matter of time before I figured out how to advance by using which force power where. I absolutely loved opening airlocks to suck out unwitting stormtroopers, and the AT-ST canyon run was awesome even if the targeting got fouled up a bit. I see why people dislike Nar Shaddaa though. It introduces the sniper rifle in the worst way, by making you go up against it again and again and again and again. That was infuriating.

Overall, I still prefer Dark Forces. It has a mix of fun DOOM-style gameplay and a heavy dose of nostalgia that I just can't beat. But Jedi Outcast was fun, even if I also found it frustrating at times, particularly with the guns. Entertaining levels, marvelous use of force powers and lightsabers, but the guns just didn't live up to it.

Oh, as for how I beat the final boss... He followed me onto a ledge. I dropped down, he dropped down, and I popped him with Push right before he hit the ground. I then ran over and wailed on him with the aggressive stance while he struggled. He never managed to get back up.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Aug 16, 2015 6:20 pm

Glad to see you enjoyed it. I agree that Dark Forces is much better from a gunplay perspective, and if that's what you're looking for then go for Dark Forces. The whole point of Jedi Outcast is to run around like a badass Jedi and sword motherfuckers. Jedi Outcast does a lot better job of things than Jedi Knight does, especially by removing all those enemies that explode when they die and all the damn landmines. And I agree that Jedi Outcast's gunplay is particularly bad; I almost feel like it might have been intentional because they saw people stick to guns a lot in Jedi Knight and wanted to encourage you to use the lightsaber and powers.

I know you've got Jedi Academy lined up in the future; that game skips the opening gunplay parts and has you start off with your lightsaber. I consider it the better game than Outcast because of the gameplay focus shown. I'll be interested to see how you feel about the changes (and which saber upgrade you go with).
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Sun Aug 16, 2015 9:13 pm

MrPopo wrote:Glad to see you enjoyed it. I agree that Dark Forces is much better from a gunplay perspective, and if that's what you're looking for then go for Dark Forces. The whole point of Jedi Outcast is to run around like a badass Jedi and sword motherfuckers. Jedi Outcast does a lot better job of things than Jedi Knight does, especially by removing all those enemies that explode when they die and all the damn landmines. And I agree that Jedi Outcast's gunplay is particularly bad; I almost feel like it might have been intentional because they saw people stick to guns a lot in Jedi Knight and wanted to encourage you to use the lightsaber and powers.

I know you've got Jedi Academy lined up in the future; that game skips the opening gunplay parts and has you start off with your lightsaber. I consider it the better game than Outcast because of the gameplay focus shown. I'll be interested to see how you feel about the changes (and which saber upgrade you go with).

Actually, Jedi Outcast had several enemies that explode upon dying, such as the Grans(who occasionally drop thermal detonators at their feet upon death) and the mini-mechs. I noticed about midway through that these explosions caused damage, though not at such a rate as to make it worth using guns over the lightsaber.

Now in terms of the force powers and lightsaber combat, Jedi Outcast is in my opinion better than Dark Forces II in ever way. But I would agree that the gunplay is far worse and like your theory that it was made intentionally so to highlight the Jedi aspect. Which is a shame to me, as I always enjoyed the bounty hunters and blasters approach to Star Wars. But Oucast excels at making the Jedi experience fun to play, so I won't knock it too much.

I will give Jedi Academy a spin soon, though I may go play something else for a bit to keep things from growing stale.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Aug 16, 2015 10:41 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast

Finished the current Together RPG game. Took me approximately 35 hours, which is under what most people were saying it'd take. I didn't do most of the discoveries, though, and those could have certainly added a lot of time.

Skies is a throwback RPG to the good old days before FF VIII angsted all over the place and one of the few RPGs on the Dreamcast (and later Gamecube, though the GC did have a larger RPG library). Overall I'd say it's a good but flawed game (though I hear some of those flaws are corrected in the GC release).

The setting is phenomenal, and they really do a good job of sticking to it and fleshing it out. It makes for a different feel from pretty much every other RPG, as the dynamic of people living in a world where everything is floating islands affects how people see life, and you can see that in everything. It's definitely a breath of fresh air compared to most RPGs. It also gives us the ship battles, which are the first mixed thing in the game.

Now, conceptually I love the ship battles. It's a different battle system that rewards planning and taking opportunities when they come. The problem is that until the final two ship battles, for the most part things are stacked in such a way as to make them more puzzle fights. You do the right combination of avoiding damage and plinking away until you get to use your doom cannon and win. The final two battles, however, have a more consistent level of threat and a general lack of safe time, so now you have to really work at exploiting all the things the game gives you. If only the rest of the battles were more like that.

The general battle system is only ok. There's so neat touches like the characters not acting swinging swords at each other (as might happen in an actual fight as opposed to a video game representation), but then there's a bunch of things that drag it down. The first is that magic is for the most part worthless due to the SP system. SP is a resource that generates at the start of your turn (and there's a maximum amount you can have in case of carry over) and is used to power Super Moves and Magic. Magic also costs 1 MP per cast, which is incredibly nominal once you're past the opening of the game. The problem is that Super Moves are highly damaging or have really great defensive effects, while Magic is about the same power level as regular attacks. Healing magic is useful at the start, but there are items that can duplicate the effects of every healing spell and the two useful buffs (at low low prices), so around midgame you start using Magic only for out of battle healing. Another thing that's quite annoying is that enemies CAN use Magic effectively, and many of them can spam some nasty status effects like Stone or Death on you. There's also a bunch of enemies that have just way too much health, leading fights to drag on. The game just doesn't do enough that's interesting to make up for the stuff that's annoying in its battle system.

Still, I had fun with the game. I think Grandia II beats it in terms of DC RPGs but it's a pretty close race.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:21 pm

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)

Soul of Darkess is an interesting game. It is a shameless Castlevania knock-off, developed by Gameloft - a developer with a less-than-stellar reputation - for cell-phones (not smart-phones...cell phones...). It was later ported to the Nintendo DS as a DSiWare title. The game's short length (and its "stock" sound effects) reveal its origins as a cellphone game, but, amazingly,the game's graphics rival those of Konami's Castlveania games. Moreover, the game controls very well; it has a catchy soundtrack; it has some interesting puzzles; and it has three very fun boss fights (one of which involves well-implemented QTEs(!) and another of which is harder than anything in any of Konami's recent 2D Castlevania games). Accordingly, I actually enjoyed playing the game quite a bit, and, at least temporarily, it satisfied my desire for another 2D Castlevania game (something Konami has made clear that it will not be doing anytime soon).

Anyone interested in the game should be warned, however, that it is incredibly short, and since there is almost no penalty for death, it can be beaten very, very quickly. Accordingly, I am not sure the game justifies its $4.99 price tag, but it is fun for anyone who really wants to play a "new" Castlevania game. (I also like to think of it as a spiritual successor to notorious Game Gear Castlevania knock-off Master of Darkness, and I may have to play through that game soon just to say that I have been through all of the games in the series.)
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Aug 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Final Fantasy II(NA) on the SNES

Okay, I have beaten it several times before, but I tried something differently.

I started up the game at 1:30PM and beat the game a little before 7:00AM.

I never turned the game off. I never stopped playing except for little breaks. And my party never wiped.

Beat the game in one sitting in about 15:50.
Return to General Gaming