Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by alienjesus Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:43 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:EDIT: Also, the third Professor Layton game is insanely good. I cannot recommend it highly enough. (The fourth one isn't that hot, though, but it does include a 100+ hour RPG as a bonus feature...)

Unless you live in Europe, when for some stupid reason it doesn't.

I guess I shouldn't be too upset, seeing as I already live a London Life. I bet Layton's version is better though :cry:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:49 pm

alienjesus wrote:I guess I shouldn't be too upset, seeing as I already live a London Life. I bet Layton's version is better though :cry:

Based on my time living in London, Professor Layton's version is undoubtedly much less expensive!
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:51 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:(and I wouldn't be able to say that I have exemplary taste)

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:35 pm

I beat Prince of Persia: Sands of Time on the Microsoft XBOX this afternoon!

This was a fun little game that I always wanted to play. When the game gets it right and you are in the zone, it is utterly amazing. Whether it is jumping from walls, climbing up poles, doing all these fancy maneuvers or killing bad guys with ease, it is flawless and it is such an exhilarating experience. However, when the camera gets in the way or you fight cheap bosses or enemies begin to pound you over and over, the feeling melts away into frustration. That is only a small amount of times and it is still a fun overall experience.
elricorico
24-bit

by elricorico Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:22 pm

1. Fatal Fury (GEN)
2. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
3. Final Fantasy IV (PSP)
4. Journey (PS3)
5. The Legend of Zelda - A Link Between Worlds (3DS)
6. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
7. Super Mario Kart (SNES)
8. King Oddball Ends the World (Android)
9. Street Fight II The World Warrior (SNES)
10. Secret of Mana (SNES)
11. McDonald's Treasureland Adventure (GEN)
12. Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze (WiiU)
13. NES Remix II(WiiU)
14. Child of Light (WiiU)
15. Thomas was Alone (Android)
16. Fire Emblem:Shadow Dragon (NDS)

17. Shovel Knight (WiiU)

When this finally had a physical release I could no longer resist playing it. Got it for the WiiU as it feels like it should be on a Nintendo System.

I think most of the people on this site are already familiar with the virtues of this game. I had fun with it, for my limited play time it worked really well. The very generous checkpoints made even the toughest platforming sections palatable to my mediocre abilities. The art direction worked very well, there were numerous times where I "got" the retro reference, and they were a nice taste of nostalgia. The story was simple and did the job of carrying you forward while conforming to the nostalgic vibe.

The biggest thing here is that the game is fun, and by design I think it would have been no matter when it was released. Controls are great, if you die, it is your own fault, because if you had pressed the right buttons at the right time you wouldn't have died. The items you can buy add just the right amount of options to the game play. The boss designs are memorable and battling them tends to be enjoyable (not very difficult if you buy health upgrades and items though). You can really start to pick up their patterns quickly.

Finishing the game opens up a New Game+, DLC of a playthrough with a different character and a set of challenges, so even though the game is short I don't feel short changed. I'll be giving this one a little more of my time and attention.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Nov 21, 2015 8:35 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC

60 hours later and I've finished the main quest of Fallout 4. A lot of sidequests were done on the way and I have a pretty pimped out arsenal, so I'm going to put it down and maybe pick it back up once the DLC hits.

Fallout 4 builds on what was done in Fallout 3 but applies some things from Skyrim. The main Skyrimism is the change in how leveling works. You still have your SPECIAL stats but there are no longer any skills. Instead, every level gives you a perk point. There is one perk per level of each SPECIAL stat, and most perks have multiple levels to them. Some are replacements for the skills (lockpicking perks, higher damage with a particular kind of weapon, etc) and others are translations of the old perks such as cannibalism and being healed by radiation. The first point in any perk merely requires you have a high enough SPECIAL score, while future points are level gated. The game gives out levels pretty consistently to fit with this new system. I was level 50 when I finished and there is no level cap. I didn't check to see if the per-level requirements go up, but if they do it's a slow curve.

The other major change is how Power Armor works. In previous games it was just the best form of armor that frequently gave a strength bonus, but in the end was just a fancy looking piece of gear that otherwise acted identical to the leather armor you got at the start. In this game it's more of a vehicle and goes for that Power Armor fantasy, and I think they nailed it. Power Armor now consists of a frame which you get in and out of and then six pieces of armor that go on top; torso, legs, arms, and helmet. The armor pieces are swappable, so as you stumble upon better pieces in the wild you can swap them out. Power Armor also requires Fusion Cores to operate. These last for a fairly long time but their scarcity at the beginning of the game keeps you out of the armor. But once I hit midgame I had enough of a stash that I was confident I could just stay in armor perpetually. One nice thing is that your companions do not require Fusion Cores to operate their Power Armor.

The addition I most enjoyed was the crafting system. It gives you a lot of flexibility to decide how you want your guns to handle; do you want to emphasize hip firing or aimed firing? Sniper rifle or up close iron sights? Automatic fire or shotty laser? There are levels to many of the modifications, so the high damage mod comes in tiers that you unlock as you get perk points in the appropriate modification perk, so you still get a sense of progression there. You can forgo all this and hope to get by on random drops as well. Most weapons let you craft the basic parts without any perk points, so if you find a good gun you can replace the high end mods with low end ones, then install the low end mods on the frame of your choice. The nice thing is that the perk points are only required to craft the mods from scratch; installing one in your possession doesn't require any skills.

The other addition that was pretty meh in my opinion was the settlement management. I'm sure it appeals to a certain type of personality, but I just utilized the fact that I could set up shops to get caps and resources rather than having to hoof it to the market every time I wanted to do some crafting.

Also, the game has several awesome moments that I won't spoil.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Nov 22, 2015 2:51 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC

I wanted something lighter after having gone heads down on Fallout 4, so I figured I'd give Bloodrayne a try. It was exactly what I was looking for. About six hours in game plus another hour or so of restarts on a couple of sections that liked to neigh-instant kill me.

Bloodrayne has a story of some kind, but the game itself doesn't really give a shit about it. There's this Nazi and he's bad so you need to murderlate him. And every Nazi who comes between you and him. And there's the single worst "I betrayed you, no, actually, that betrayal is totally a lie and I'm really on your side the entire time" segment ever written. But that's ok, the game knows it's not about the story. It's about murdering Nazis.

And man, you are equipped for murdering Nazis. While most games with Nazi antagonists put you on fairly equal footing and it's up to the fact that you are better at dodging/flushing with grenades to win, in this game you are the alpha predator, and the Nazis are your prey. And it's pretty cathartic. You've got a series of blade slashes that can slice off body parts, you can use guns (which is good for large hordes), you have a grappling hook to GET OVER HERE a target for feeding, and then you can jump on someone's back mid combat, regenerate health, and use them as a bullet shield. Oh, and the icing on the cake is the Blood Rage mode, which fills as you deal regular slashes and when it's full you can go into a mode where you deal tons of damage and time slows. You can use the time slow part outside of that mode as well once you unlock it (start of act 2) and it's just as unfair as it sounds. Most of the bosses are extremely trivial as a result of Blood Rage mode. The ones who aren't are the ones who have some sort of mechanic that prevents you from sticking on them and dealing tons of damage.

The final boss is an annoying pain in the ass, though. It consists of two guys who are antagonistic against both you and each other. One is a standard human enemy, the other is a giant monster with one weakpoint. This weakpoint is small and hard to see. Through the fight he grows (eventually growing so large that the game just says "fuck it, you lose"), which extends his reach and makes his weakpoint bigger. But it's not that much bigger and is still incredibly hard to see due to a shitty choice of colors on the textures for the main body vs. the weakpoint. Hopefully you came in with enough explosives, since that makes things much easier.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
foxhound1022
Next-Gen

by foxhound1022 Sun Nov 22, 2015 5:57 pm

darsparx wrote:So another game that fits in with games that make fun of you for lowering the difficulty especially as low as it might go? :lol: Knew there had to be a few more somewhere not on a list or something

Yeah, I think most if not all Psikyo shmups do this.
IIRC, the lowest difficulty setting for the Strikers games is "Monkey"
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:56 pm

Oh man guys, I've been really lazy updating in the last few weeks and I have 5 games I need to add.

Maybe I'll just add them one a day for the next 5 days so I don't create a wall of text...
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

by GSZX1337 Sun Nov 22, 2015 8:48 pm

I'm the same way; I beat Batman about a month ago and I still have a few games to post. :?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Return to General Gaming