Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Gamerforlife Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:31 pm

Mercenary Kings is an odd game, I felt like it couldn't decide what it wanted to be
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Fri Oct 09, 2015 4:35 pm

I wonder if they ever patched the invincibility glitch, made some of the game's more annoying parts a breeze for me. And man, I think that game crashed on me more than anything else I've played on the PS4
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:33 pm

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC

Just finished another selection for this year's Together RPG. Anachronox is another western developed RPG inspired by the JRPG tradition, similar to Septerra Core. But there's a big difference: Anachronox is GOOD.

You play as Sylvester "Sly" Boots, a private eye who starts the game down on his luck and in for big money to the local crime lord. You start off things by trying to find a case to try and pay off your debts, but that case quickly leads to uncovering a threat to the very fabric of the universe. You will assemble a motley crew from various walks of life as you try to uncover what's going on, and by the end you are all set to end the threat.

Then the game ends.

Yeah, essentially this game got split like Golden Sun, except part 2 was never created. The game ends with a few character arcs finished, but now you have the massive cliffhanger it leaves you with. It's not wholly unsatisfying, but it is a major disappointment Anachronox 2 was never created. Though I've heard that SquareEnixEidos is open to the idea of revisiting old franchises, so maybe they'll give it a chance.

The combat system is ATB with positioning mattering. You can move across a grid that is unique to each fight (though generally it's in the shape of a hexagon with a center node as well as the six corners) and melee characters/enemies need to be near their targets. Similarly, if a character/enemy is between you and your target and you're ranged your line of sight might be blocked (though it has to be pretty much a straight line through the three; being offset even a little is fine). Characters have both skills and magic (though that doesn't appear until later).

One way the game really shows its western influence is in the huge emphasis on exploration and dialog. Combat is definitely secondary in this game, and aside from the occasional group during exploration the majority happens in designated dungeons. Many of these dungeons have a puzzle solving component in them, culminating in a final dungeon reminiscent of Kefka's Tower. In order to aid these explorations every character gets a field skill. These include lockpicking, retrieving distant objects, or talking someone's ear off. The game will force party members on you when these skills are needed to proceed, but many times they are used to get bonus items. Executing these skills involve playing a short minigame, where success at the game means success at using the skill. Fortunately, you can retry as many times as you want on failure. The game also has a few other times it uses minigames during certain transitions that a normal JRPG might just show you going from A to B.

The game isn't perfect, though. The first thing it likes to do is be vague about the various systems, which include your stats. You don't get stat numbers; you instead get bar graphs which give you a relative notion that you are better than another character at something, or this weapon is an upgrade. Additionally, the magic system is left somewhat vague. It makes sense from a story perspective, but that doesn't help the gameplay. Spells can be used on enemies to deal damage and inflict statuses, while used on your party they heal the status (or act as a heal spell for the non-status element). This gets a passing mention but it doesn't really go into detail. Similarly, midway through you gain the ability to essentially create custom magic, but the game is absurdly vague about how it works. Since everything in game is explained by in-universe characters it makes sense why it's vague, but again, it annoys the player. The final thing that tend to annoy me is the game likes to have some enemies have way too noticeable of an evade rate. Septerra Core suffered from a similar problem. There's enough time between attacks that having those misses is a real feel bad. Most Final Fantasies either made them rare enough (or only on certain enemies that are expected to be evasive) or when it was more common gave you a bunch of attacks with every Fight command.

But those are mostly minor quibbles. The game was still engrossing enough that I played it pretty steadily. I would have finished earlier but I was intentionally pacing myself.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Oct 10, 2015 9:34 pm

MrPopo wrote:I would have finished earlier but I was intentionally pacing myself.

:lol:
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Oct 11, 2015 2:48 am

Solitaire Mystery: Stolen Power HD for Android

One of the "Actually Free" games from Amazon Underground.

The game itself is a mashup, albeit an inorganic one, of hidden object gameplay with solitaire-inspired elements (the latter takes up most of the game).

The hidden object elements are less prevalent, and the solitaire elements are based less on actual solitaire, so it's not about playing Klondike, Pyramid or Freecell (the first two are my preferred solitaire games).
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:08 pm

First 50:

52. Starflight - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES

You know what game this is more fun than? Zelda II: The Adventure of Link. I'm sure Bone can describe this game's lineage better than I can, so I'll just stick with how it made me feel.

So it starts off by having both better and worse combat than Zelda II. Zelda II's downstab is amazing, and there's some interesting enemies beyond "run at the player", but on the flip side you'll take a lot of damage unless you're SUPER good at dodging/blocking. And that sword length is pathetic, the sword beam is useless against most of what you really want it for, and the magic is mostly focused on puzzle solving and oh shit use Life. By contrast, Faxanadu has useful magic that you can use a lot against enemies, but -not enough that you can just spam. Your sword is of a decent length once you get the real sword early on and there is less cheap "you take damage now" (though there is still some when enemies drop down on top of you). The enemies aren't as interesting as Zelda II's; they mostly either run at you, jump around, or fire magic. The boss enemies aren't really interesting either.

The exploration is more interesting than Zelda's. More platforming, more winding paths, and a few hidden areas. But none of it is the level of maze as the final dungeon in Zelda II (which is a good thing, that final dungeon was evil if you went the wrong way). And the hints the townspeople give are much more helpful than what Zelda II gives you. Oh, and having save points in towns is amazing. It shouldn't be; it should just be expected. But Zelda II makes it seem much more awesome than it actually is. The save system is also subject to a bit of abuse; you should never want for potions or keys once you get a couple levels under your belt thanks to dying/loading a save starting you off with gold according to level. On the flip side, levels don't really mean anything except that gold spawn.

The final boss was pretty meh, though, and Zelda II definitely gets the win there.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Oct 11, 2015 4:31 pm

First 25
1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)
40. Aaru's Awakening (PS3)
41. Teslagrad (PS3)
42. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess (PS3)
43. Year Walk (WIIU)
44. Xeodrifter (3DS)
45. Ittle Dew (WIIU)
46. The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS) is an absolutely wonderful game, and IMO, it may the best game in the series. It revisits the Hyrule from A Link to the Past, and anyone familiar with that game will very much enjoy revisiting its worlds. The combat is great; the game is full of secrets; the puzzles are genuinely challenging; and it is everything you could want from a Zelda game. Moreover, the bosses are excellent, and some of them atre genuinely challenging. (This was the first Zelda game in a while where I actually died a few times. Moreover, it is the first non-linear game since the first Legend of Zelda, and I very much appreciated being able to explore the world as much as I wanted from the outset and being able to tackle the game dungeons in any order. (My only compaint is that the game's dungeons were a bit short. There were 12 of them, however; so, I can't complaint too much. Moreover, since it is a portable game, shorter dungeons is probably a good thing.) Finally, the game is designed with the player in mind, and absolutely no part of the game annoyed me. (Being able to quickly transport between save point relatively early in the game is one of those design decisions that illustrates how much the designerrs respect the players' time.) In sum, I highly recommend this game to anyone, and fans of The Legend of Zelda series must not miss it.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:27 pm

MrPopo wrote:I'm sure Bone can describe this game's lineage better than I can, so I'll just stick with how it made me feel.

:lol:

It's a spin-off of Xanadu, which is part II of the Dragon Slayer series. The name itself is a portmanteau of "Famicom" and "Xanadu."

If you own a Saturn (I assume you don't have any old Japanese computers?) and are a true masochist you could attempt the original Xanadu.

And yeah, I do like the game more than Zelda II.

And I still need to play Link Between Worlds.........
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Oct 11, 2015 10:03 pm

First 50:

52. Starflight - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES

Guess what tune I'll have stuck in my head for the rest of the week?

Originally known as Eggerland in Japan and lending likenesses to a pair of bosses in Kirby, Lolo is a puzzle game based around moving blocks around so you can pick up hearts; once you collect all the hearts a treasure chest opens. Getting the jewel inside the chest erases all enemies and opens the door to the next level. What differentiates Lolo from many other puzzle games is that there is an action component to it. At the start everything is frozen, but once you take your first action the level unpauses. Some enemies are stationary while others will move around. Some enemies are harmless and only serve to block you, while others kill on touch (or even have a shot attack). And a couple of enemies are asleep until you unlock the treasure chest, making them a final gauntlet that needs to be prepared for between getting the last heart and going for the jewel.

The action is grid based, with you being able to move things every half grid (which is important, as blocking half of an enemy's line of sight is enough to block shots). In addition to being able to move around blocks you can get powerups. The most common is the shot powerup. One shot will encase an enemy in an egg, which can be moved around. A second shot on an egg will knock the enemy offscreen, to respawn later. Eggs will float in water and can be ridden on. You get shots in packs of two from certain hearts. The other three powerups are a hammer (destroy a rock), a bridge, and a one way tile changer (which will modify the arrow of a one way tile). Those three powerups are only activated once you collect a certain number of hearts.

The challenge comes in figuring out the right sequence of moves to block away harmful enemies, not block yourself in, and get to the hearts. A few of these puzzles require fast movement on your part. One of them was obnoxious; a race against an enemy where you have to exploit his AI. The rest involve quickly getting between areas before eggs break open or a path closes or darting between safe spots from a wandering monster who shoots at you. There was only one puzzle that I ended up needing to resort to an FAQ for: 9-4, which is the first instance of needing to wait for a respawn in order to be able to solve it (while previous times respawns were just a safety net). Everything else just needed time and effort. Quite a fun puzzler that doesn't take too long.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:03 am

MrPopo wrote:Quite a fun puzzler that doesn't take too long.

LoLo is a really great game (and series), very charming. The first game needed more music variety though that's for sure.

My favorite NES action puzzlers (if you're still in the mood):

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/0/0/5/22005_front.jpg

http://img.gamefaqs.net/box/1/5/0/49150_front.jpg
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming