Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Ack Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:31 pm

Exhum, that sounds amazing. Tell me, is it possible to fail an attack or using an item due to a faulty turn on the Ring of Judgment? How indepth does that mechanic get?
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Ack wrote:Exhum, that sounds amazing. Tell me, is it possible to fail an attack or using an item due to a faulty turn on the Ring of Judgment? How indepth does that mechanic get?

In general if you screw up your timing on the Judgement Ring, you will completely lose that move (be it an attack, sales discount, item usage, etc.). Although some attacks are combos, and let's say you get 2 of the 3 hits on the ring, you will still get 2 of the attacks of the combo and only lose the third.

In general the only time I ever screwed up on the ring was when I was trying to get bonuses to my hits. A lot of times the ring has fringe zones on its hit areas that are really hard to hit, but will do 150% damage instead of 100% damage if you manage to hit them. Of course if you fail to do so, you usually lose the attack. It becomes a tactical risk-reward system that really is brilliant.

BTW there are enemies in the game with Judgement Ring status ailment attacks. As in they can make the hit zones turn invisible, or shrink the ring, or make the ring spin faster or erratically. But these ailments are easily avoided by wearing special equipment.

Put away the SNES and PC for a minute and play this PS2 JRPG man. :lol:
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:02 pm

Great review, Exhuminator. I own some of the later entries in the series, but I still need to pick up the first game.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Nov 06, 2015 3:08 am

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC

Just finished this month's Together Retro game. Grim Fandango is an adventure game that ended up being the last great thing to come out of the LucasArts adventure division. Unfortunately, it still suffers from the pitfalls of adventure games that can make them unnecessarily frustrating. I am still convinced that text-based adventure games are more intuitive, as the nature of how they describe the world means that you don't miss the fact that there's a turkey baster in the corner that you can actually pick up, or that there's a thin cabinet on the wall that you can actually open if you get your mouse in the right 6 pixels. Now, text-based can be just as obtuse in how to rub your objects together, but at least you know what all the objects are.

But, adventure game silliness aside, Grim Fandango has a real stand-out world and production that makes the game really fun to play when you aren't beating your head against an unintuitive moon logic puzzle. The game takes inspiration from Aztec death traditions and it adds a nice flavor to things that you don't really get to see normally. The voice acting is top notch and they recorded a lot of good lines to explain why you can't do something. The best, though, is when you try to use the "Pick up" action on a litter box. Your character, Manny, just starts laughing at you.

One thing I found was the moon logic started to diminish once you got past the first puzzle of the third year (the game is divided into four years). At that point the main things that would stick me were not noticing I could do a scene transition or that I could interact with an object. The other obtuse puzzle was one I had been primed for by the last main puzzle of year two, so that one is forgiven.

Definitely glad I played this, but it does help maintain my opinion that adventure games are not really much for me. I've done the first two Monkey Islands as well as Returns, and I know they get more bastardly from there. I do have a copy of Loom that I plan to beat at some point, but I don't think I'll be picking up any more.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Nov 06, 2015 6:43 am

MrPopo wrote:Definitely glad I played this, but it does help maintain my opinion that adventure games are not really much for me. I've done the first two Monkey Islands as well as Returns, and I know they get more bastardly from there. I do have a copy of Loom that I plan to beat at some point, but I don't think I'll be picking up any more.

I have played and enjoyed Monkey Island 1 & 2, but actually feel like they're some of the weaker LucasArts games. I loved Grim Fandango too, but it definitely had it's share of mean puzzles.

Before you give up entirely, I'd recommend Day of the Tentacle, my personal favourite by LucasArts, or Curse of Monkey Island which improves a lot on Monkey Island 1 & 2. I also greatly enjoy the TellTale Sam & Max series and liked Discworld 2 aswell (you can probably skip Discworld 1)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:13 am

MrPopo wrote:but it does help maintain my opinion that adventure games are not really much for me

I understand where you're coming from, as I've found my own patience for typical adventure game shenanigans to have greatly diminished as I've gotten older.

That said, if you've never played Full Throttle you simply must. In my opinion it's Tim Schafer's greatest work. It's a very well designed game that you can beat in an evening because none of the puzzles are retarded and its fairly short. Despite that, the production values and humor are top notch. More people need to play Full Throttle and I wish it'd come to GOG.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:29 am

Exhuminator wrote:
MrPopo wrote:but it does help maintain my opinion that adventure games are not really much for me

I understand where you're coming from, as I've found my own patience for typical adventure game shenanigans to have greatly diminished as I've gotten older.

That said, if you've never played Full Throttle you simply must. In my opinion it's Tim Schafer's greatest work. It's a very well designed game that you can beat in an evening because none of the puzzles are retarded and its fairly short. Despite that, the production values and humor are top notch. More people need to play Full Throttle and I wish it'd come to GOG.

There is one puzzle in Full Throttle...ONE PUZZLE... that is far and beyond the worst puzzle EVER!

...the wall....THE WALLLLLLLLL THEEE WAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

....outside of that the game is fantastic.

But seriously, I would not let the trappings of adventure games turn you off from the genre in general. The more modern adventure games are phenomenal and lack the problems of obtuse puzzles. Play games like the Telltale, Adventure games, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Life is Strange etc. and you should be good! Not to mention a select few adventure games like the Quest for Glory series, which will never leave you scratching your head I promise you!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:37 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:the Telltale, Adventure games

The Wolf Among Us is awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough. I would probably buy a new console, gaming PC, or tablet just to play a sequel.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:41 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:the Telltale, Adventure games

The Wolf Among Us is awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough. I would probably buy a new console, gaming PC, or tablet just to play a sequel.

seriously. Wolf Among Us is just incredible. I was a fan of Telltale, and reluctant cuz it just sounded so silly to me. I was blown away by this game though. Fell in love w/ the characters. Genuinely cared about these fables. Goosebumps at certain plot points. Cannot wait for the sequel.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Nov 06, 2015 10:44 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Play games like the Telltale, Adventure games, Dreamfall: The Longest Journey, Life is Strange etc. and you should be good!

What do you guys think about Wadjet Eye games? Any good?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming