Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Ack Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:11 pm

1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
46. Risen (PC)(RPG)
47. Shadowgrounds (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

Shadowgrounds is a top-down shooter from Frozenbyte, a Finnish developer better known for the Trine series. In their debut game, you play as an engineer on Ganymede who has to face off against an alien invasion that has overrun the planet and slaughtered most of the researchers, civilians, and military personnel there. The aliens are invading because humanity found the ultimate energy source and weaponized it and then apparently didn't listen to any of the aliens' warnings about it(which pretty much consisted of crashing at Roswell, New Mexico, and then showing up to kill everyone instead). Good job, aliens. How'd that work out for you? Oh yeah, genocide on your entire species. Nice.

To kill them all, you pick up 10 different weapons which all feature three different potential upgrades. The first two upgrades differ per weapon and have a variety of effects to improve the base characteristics, ranging from increased magazine sizes to double damage, to removing the need to reload entirely. Heck, the electrogun gets the ability to suck in static from the air, meaning it regenerates ammunition. But the third upgrade gets interesting; those add a secondary fire ability to each weapon. The pistol gets a stun dart, the shotgun goes full auto and empties all of its shells in a split-second, the minigun turns into a sentry robot, and the laser carbine fires a pinpoint ray until you either let go of the trigger or it runs out of ammo. Most of Shadowgrounds is fairly traditional fare, but these secondary modes can completely change a weapon's usefulness and serve to make things interesting.

Beyond that, it's exactly what you expect: shoot aliens and dodge their fire. But Shadowgrounds does differ from the Alien Shooter series a bit, so don't go thinking they're the same game. Shadowgrounds uses a much more zoomed-in camera that always fixes on your character's forward-facing view, as opposed to the preset AS camera that hangs far overhead. There is also a radar, but it only tracks enemy motion, so if something is lying in wait(and a few things do adopt that tactic), then you won't see it until it is too late. There is also some decent variety of enemy types with a few nasty surprises, like one serpentine alien that is invisible unless your flashlight is on, while a spider-type one with poisonous fangs absolutely hates your flashlight and will charge if ever the beam falls on it.

If there is anything that irks me about the game it is the level length and the lack of checkpoints or the ability to save. Currently the game saves at the end of each level, so the player can pick up on the next level if they need to. Unfortunately the levels can be surprisingly long if the player takes the time to explore. I found myself having to plan around the game or risk losing up to an hour's worth of progress, which likely would have made me set this one aside. Thankfully I never encountered the glitches that the Alien Shooter games suffer from.

I liked Shadowgrounds. It was a serviceable ride. Not ground breaking, but it gets the job done. That was all that I wanted out of it.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Sep 07, 2015 5:45 pm

Markies wrote:I beat Sega Rally Championship 2 on the Sega Dreamcast this afternoon!

Not much to talk about here, but the game is a really fun Rally game. The controls are great, the graphics are really good for an early Dreamcast game and it is just a blast to play. Really fun and I want to keep playing it to see if I can complete it.

Arcade mode or 10 Year Championship? Either way it's certainly something to say. The unlockable cars are great.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:06 pm

ExedExes wrote:
Markies wrote:I beat Sega Rally Championship 2 on the Sega Dreamcast this afternoon!

Not much to talk about here, but the game is a really fun Rally game. The controls are great, the graphics are really good for an early Dreamcast game and it is just a blast to play. Really fun and I want to keep playing it to see if I can complete it.

Arcade mode or 10 Year Championship? Either way it's certainly something to say. The unlockable cars are great.

Arcade Mode at first, but I am currently playing through the 10 Year Championship.

I will hopefully be able to beat the 10 Year Championship, but getting first in every year to unlock all of the cars is rather difficult.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Sep 07, 2015 6:28 pm

Life of Pixel is done. Very simple, but fun stuff. Loved all the different systems on display in there.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Mon Sep 07, 2015 11:20 pm

Markies wrote:Arcade Mode at first, but I am currently playing through the 10 Year Championship.

I will hopefully be able to beat the 10 Year Championship, but getting first in every year to unlock all of the cars is rather difficult.

I agree. But the cars in later years are worth it, especially the FIAT Abarth Rally and the Lancia Rally 037 that will easily beat Arcade mode with plenty of time to spare. Heck even in the first couple of years you pick up the better Subaru Impreza 555 and new Mitsubishi Lancers (Evo III & IV)
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Sep 08, 2015 12:44 am

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC

I'll start things off by saying that the original was better. I think Monkey Island 2 suffers from being a sequel because it's clear the developers felt the need to outdo themselves. And in adventure game land outdo means to go deeper into the moon logic for your puzzles. There's one that involves a terrible pun that's utterly obvious after the fact but you'd never think of it ahead of time. There are a lot of actions you need to take to win that the average player is never going to think of doing and would probably only stumble upon in desperation by random trying to use items on things in the environment. And there's several times where you need to interact with stuff that you aren't even aware is there or reachable.

Fortunately, the game keeps the LucasArts humor and lack of walking dead scenarios, so while you might be beating your head against a brick wall for a while you know that you will be able to progress once you suffer the necessary brain damage to think in the twisted ways the devs did.

Oh, and the final area of the game is all kinds of awful. It starts with you being in a pitch black room needing to use a small area on the screen to get the lights on. Even if you know it's there it'll take a while to pixel hunt without any references. Then you need to collect a variety of objects across several screens while LeChuck random shows up and warps you somewhere else. It's quite obnoxious even though the actual acts you need to do are fairly obvious.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Sep 08, 2015 5:37 am

MrPopo wrote:62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC

I agree with most of what you said, I though the second game was weaker than the first as well.

I just recently finished the 3rd game, Curse of Monkey Island, which I think is a much stronger game than either of the first two.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Sep 08, 2015 8:49 am

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)

Hazumi is a Breakout-inspired puzzle game. In it, you control the horizontal movement of a ball that automatically bounces back and forth vertically across each of the game's 104 levels. The goal in each level is to destroy all of the level's breakable blocks, but to do so, you will have to change the ball's color, move other blocks, and avoid hazards. Moreover, you receive one, two, or three stars at then end of each level based on how quickly you completed it, and earning stars unlocks additional levels.

There are no other puzzle game's quite like it, and I enjoyed it quite a bit. It is very easy to pick up and put down, and I have been playing it during my travels this summer. My only complaint is that the difficulty varies wildly in the last few dozen levels. (That is, it may take you 100+ attempts to clear level 94, but you may clear level 95 on your first attempt.) This is a very minor complaint, however, and it certainly doesn't detract much from the game. Finally, the game is very in expensive ($3.99), and it certainly justifies its price. (This is especially true in light of the game's robust level editor, which expands the game's content immensely.)
Luke
Next-Gen

by Luke Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:11 am

Played "6-Pak" for the Genesis, which includes sonic, golden axe, columns, sor, super-hang on, and revenge of shinobi.

Beat Sonic, Golden Axe, SOR, and Shinobi. Labor Day ruled.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Sep 08, 2015 10:41 am

Luke wrote:Played "6-Pak" for the Genesis, which includes sonic, golden axe, columns, sor, super-hang on, and revenge of shinobi.

Beat Sonic, Golden Axe, SOR, and Shinobi. Labor Day ruled.

I love all the compilation packs they released for the Mega Drive/Genesis. They're pretty great ways to buy some of the games now, and were fantastic when I was a kid with not much money to spend!

Notables PAL ones for my money:

Mega Games I: Columns, Super Hang-On and World Cup Italia '90
Mega Games II: Revenge of Shinobi, Golden Axe and Streets of Rage
Mega Games 3: Alien Storm, Super Thunder Blade and Super Monaco GP
Disney Collection: Castle of Illusion and Quackshot
Sonic Collection: Sonic 1, Sonic 2 and Dr. Robotnik's Mean Bean Machine
Sega Classics Collection: Altered Beast, Alex Kidd in Enchanted Castle, Flicky and Gunstar Heroes(!!)

The Sega Classics Collection is the most notable, as it actually runs cheaper than the Gunstar game on it's own. I'm not too fussed by having Gunstar in it's original boxed if I still end up with a working copy of the game!

I still need to pick up Classics Collection though. I also need Mega Games 3, although as Alien Storm is the only game I want on it, maybe I won't bother.
Return to General Gaming