Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Wait Popo hasn't beaten Super Mario Bros.?! This is some kind of mistake, right?

And Metal Slug 1 is one of the easier games in the series to 1cc. I'm a total rube and I did it on like my 5th attempt.

Never beaten Super Mario Bros. Came with my NES, played it a bunch, but I prefer the physics in Mega Man, so I never put in the time to beat it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC

So Bloodrayne felt like a pretty budget game. Rayne's animations were a bit stiff, the controls were a bit floaty, the plot was nonexistent, and they couldn't afford for Lauren Baily to emote in her voiceovers. But for all that it was fun. It knew what it was; a game where a hot vampire chick murders a ton of Nazis. It worked. Bloodrayne 2 apparently had a budget, and that ended up making so many things worse.

The big positive is that there actually is a story now, giving some context as to why you're slaughtering a bunch of dudes. And they could afford to pay Lauren Baily to use inflection when she did her voice work so Rayne feels like more of a character.

The negatives are that they changed it into more of a brawler which ends up weakening you overall. You have a larger arsenal of moves but none of them really feel like they do anything different from the others; you still just spam the shit out of attack. Enemies have gone from Nazis with guns to street punks who all know kung fu, which means every fight has a big risk of you taking major damage. You end up spending more time feeding on people than attacking because at least when you feed you regenerate health and can block damage.

The other big thing is they discovered there's this thing you can buy called a physics engine. So now the grappling hook, instead of a way to feed on distant targets, is now a way to toss around mooks. Now, this ends up being shoehorned into so many areas where you have a kill puzzle; toss X mooks into a specific part or parts of the environment to proceed. This would be an amusing diversion in the vein of Madworld if it weren't for the fact that the physics are very hit and miss; sometimes it goes where you want because you hit the sweet spot for the suck in and sometimes it doesn't. What gets worse is there are a few that require you to short out a circuit with a mook's body, but the mook only lasts so long. One requires such perfect execution that I spent 30 minutes just trying to line up all the corpses in time.

The other thing that happened is that so many bosses turned into puzzle bosses, which ends up being a major letdown. You have these super cool arm blades and you only get two really use them on two bosses; the first is a boss you have to solve a puzzle to be able to damage, and the second is the pushover of a last boss.

The game is still fun, but it's not nearly as good as the first.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I beat BloodRayne 2 back in 2007 on Xbox. I remember enjoying its dark sense of humor and sadism puzzles. I vaguely remember there was one boss that was a big pain in the ass, some kind of huge muscle monster with green patches of skin. I remember enjoying the acrobatic platforming.

I never played BloodRayne because I figured it was a lesser experience than what I'd already played. Now that you've said it's actually better though, it makes me interested in giving it a shot after all.

Terminal Reality took the BloodRayne 2 engine and used it to create Æon Flux. So if you're still in the mood for that style of action, Æon Flux is very similar.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86on_ ... eo_game%29
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Yeah, I liked the humor. The sadism puzzles had potential, it was just the execution that got annoying. Aside from the stupid "short out all four speakers" one that took me forever, the two that sucked were the ones with the female ninjas who blocked your harpoon. Those bitches were evil.

The huge muscle monster you're referring to is the penultimate boss and I didn't really have much of a problem with him. The boss I had to restart a ton was the fight against Ferril, because I kept getting trapped and then eviscerated due to enemies being able to move a little bit during in-engine cutscenes; I'd come out and be trapped between her and a generator.
Ack

Post by Ack »

First 50:
1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
46. Risen (PC)(RPG)
47. Shadowgrounds (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
48. Shadowrun Returns (PC)(RPG)
49. Mobile Forces (PC)(FPS)

50. Tower of Guns (PC)(FPS)

51. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC)(FPS)
52. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (PC)(FPS)

53. 9:05 (PC)(Text Adventure)
54. Mercenary Kings (PC)(Run and Gun)
55. Super Pinball: Behind the Mask (SNES)(Pinball)
56. Pinocchio (SNES)(Platformer)
57. Iron Brigade (PC)(Tower Defense/TPS)
58. Iron Brigade: Rise of the Martian Bear (PC)(Tower Defense/TPS)

59. Anachronox (PC)(RPG)
60. Banished (PC)(Strategy)
61. Rune (PC)(Action)
62. Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter (PC)(FPS)

Well, that was easy.

I kid, I kid! A few months back, ExedExes had the joy of playing through Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter(GRAW) for the PC, which resulted in him and Exhuminator having quite a few talks on the subject. It came up again a few weeks ago, and I indicated I would be willing to give it a shot if I got the chance. Well, since it's never been on GOG and has been pulled from Steam, Exhum decided the best thing to do was to mail me a copy directly, along with all relevant patch info, set up a few ground rules, and have me try out the GRAW challenge. I've completed it, and it was at times a bloody and bumpy wild ride.

First, a little background info: GRAW is the result of the ever increasing Tom Clancy line of Tactical FPS. There are also a couple of different versions of the game, depending on the format you pick to play it on. GRAW on consoles is a third person shooter cakewalk filled with gumdrops, rainbows, and unicorns, where enemies die at your squad's feet from your sheer force of good will and you can save anywhere you want at any time, even right before a sniper's chocolate bullet smacks into your skull and sends you down to the peppermint pavement. GRAW on the PC is an entirely different matter. Instead of a TPS, it's an FPS. Instead of saving anywhere, it's checkpoint saves only, usually with a lot of walking and shooting and explosions between. There is still a squad, but most of its members consist of hyperactive five year olds who have no idea what words like 'warzone' mean. Oh, and it's low-carb, so no sugar. No sugar at all! That's because GRIN developed it, and if you haven't seen the GRIN logo, well...the sweets have done their damage.

As an experiment, I went online to look up what other folks thought. Well...I'll just post what I found here:

The biggest difference is the PC version is PSYCHOTICALLY DIFFICULT

One thing about this game is that it is very difficult. Even on easy it can be very tough.

This has to be one of the worst games ive ever played. Mainly because even on normal difficulty if you end up getting shot even just a couple of times your dead. Not to mention the fact that you cant save on your own and have to rely on check points instead(which obviously isnt helpful considering you lose 10-30 minutes everytime your dead)

Words like 'impossible' get bandied around a lot when describing the PC release of GRAW. This seems to come from several important factors: distant checkpoint saves, bad friendly AI, good enemy AI, and for some folks whining in places like GameFAQS, a lack of familiarity with tactical FPS gameplay. Hell, I got through it and got pretty lucky with the AI a lot of the time, and there were still many moments when I just had to stop and shake my head at what my squadmates were doing. Even during my triumphant final run to the ruins of the US embassy in Mexico City in the final level, where nearly everything went perfectly, one of my squadmembers took a brief intermission to go run off like a loon for a few seconds before I pulled him back in. He nearly bit it in the process but thankfully recovered in time. I know what you're thinking, "How bad could it be?" Well, let me tell you a few things I saw my friendlies do:

Walk into machinegun fire and then start rolling around on the ground uselessly while they're being pumped full of bullets.

Take the long way around a building and get killed by a sniper instead of moving five steps to the right like I ordered.

Absolutely refuse to move to a safe spot and instead continuously stand behind slim cover getting shot at while repeatedly shouting, "Negative!" to my order.

Switch to a fully-loaded weapon and shout, "Reloading!" every five seconds.

Forget they are carrying a bazooka and assault a tank with a pistol.

Walk into a machinegun emplacement. Like right in front of it. While the gunner is still alive and shooting at them.

Run up and stand next to an enemy APC right as a friendly tank shoots it, killing my squadmate in the process.

Pull out a bazooka and hold it like a rifle, refusing to switch to anything else even though only enemy infantry is attacking us.

The list goes on and on. I eventually figured out that the absolute best way to deal with them was to treat them like children, with constant guidance, easy to understand commands, and often leaving them in a play pen or some such area while I went ahead and took care of the real dirty work on my own. But despite all of these issues, they often also did their jobs surprisingly well. It helps that I tended to keep them on a tight leash. All of their movements were leapfrogged over each other, I was always sure to overlap lanes of fire, and when attacking an enemy, I often would do my best to pull them to my location so I could go on the defensive and surprise them with the whole squad. A couple of times I even used them or myself as a guinea pig to draw fire. The thing is, the enemy AI apparently would rather attack me than the other squad members, so I often had to run interference to set up my sniper for a shot. When it worked, it worked gloriously. When it failed...well, back to the drawing board.

As for the enemy AI, it's not that I think they are necessarily better, it's just that I think they are more limited in what they can do. More than once I saw an enemy sprint out and then basically lie down in the middle of a street with no cover. At that point I would oblige them with a bullet because they were just begging for it. Also, since they were gunning for me specifically, I definitely set them up for a fall more than once. And enemies also have a limited range, so I successfully took out my fair share of tanks and machine gunners by skirting the edge of that range and taking them out from afar. Recognizing their limitations helped me get through more than a couple of tough scrapes.

I also managed to simply avoid much of the enemy. The maps are pretty big in GRAW, and you absolutely do not have to fight everything. Often times I would take a long time at each objective to identify back alleys and narrow corridors where few enemies would hide and little resistance would be encountered. This worked surprisingly well, though I did occasionally have to work around snipers and the like. It also let me hit many of the enemy's defensive positions from unexpected angles, meaning I could easily take out dire threats from behind or the sides where they could not aim.

If I did screw up, it was back to a checkpoint though. That sucks, I'm not gonna lie. There's no way to make those easier, you just have to be willing to experiment at times and learn the best route from one checkpoint to the next. Occasionally these got pretty long and difficult to deal with, and there are quite a few places where I think the game would have sorely benefited from more of them. But every failure was an opportunity to learn too, and I managed to recover from all of my mistakes to obtain victory in the end. Oh, checkpoints can also get glitched. At one point I basically had to restart a level because my checkpoint would refuse to spawn in enemies properly that I had to kill. That was freaking annoying. Actually the whole game could get pretty buggy at times, ranging from messed up enemy spawns to trouble with the tactical map, to texture issues, to a whole mess of other stuff. Even fully patched, GRAW has some serious problems at times.

Here's the thing folks: I wouldn't recommend GRAW to most of you. I just wouldn't. It's not that it's a bad game, but I don't think many of you could hack it, truth be told. It requires a lot of patience, a slow and steady hand, and a willingness to learn from your failures, because you will fail a lot. I also recommend you have some previous knowledge of either tactical FPS design or squad tactics, so you have at least a basic grasp of concepts which are absolutely necessary to survive and make any headway. If you've never heard of terms like "slicing the pie," "interlocking fire," or even "stack-up," you probably shouldn't consider playing GRAW.

But for those of you who are interested in finding out if you've got the balls to beat GRAW, here are the rules: you play on PC, fully patched, Normal difficulty, no cheats. Good luck, and remember: no guts, no glory.

"No plan survives contact with the enemy."
- Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke, the Elder
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

ohhhhh Ghost Recon. For months you guys have been talking about "GRAW" and I had no idea what that was.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I figured it was a misspelling of GWAR.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

Ack wrote:But for those of you who are interested in finding out if you've got the balls to beat GRAW, here are the rules: you play on PC, fully patched, Normal difficulty, no cheats. Good luck, and remember: no guts, no glory.

As someone who has beaten PC GRAW using the criteria you quoted above, I know what you went through, and bestow upon you massive respect. Seriously people, what Ack just beat was no joke. He finished one of the most notoriously challenging FPS games* ever made. I put him and ExedExes in an elite club (for madmen only).

Awesome job Ack. I'd let you take point any time.

*I have only finished one FPS more difficult than GRAW was, but I wouldn't put that dare on my worst enemy.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Exhuminator wrote:
Ack wrote:But for those of you who are interested in finding out if you've got the balls to beat GRAW, here are the rules: you play on PC, fully patched, Normal difficulty, no cheats. Good luck, and remember: no guts, no glory.

As someone who has beaten PC GRAW using the criteria you quoted above, I know what you went through, and bestow upon you massive respect. Seriously people, what Ack just beat was no joke. He finished one of the most notoriously challenging FPS games* ever made. I put him and ExedExes in an elite club (for madmen only).

Awesome job Ack. I'd let you take point any time.

*I have only finished one FPS more difficult than GRAW was, but I wouldn't put that dare on my worst enemy.

Now I want to know what the more difficult one is.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

MrPopo wrote:Now I want to know what the more difficult one is.

It's...
PLAY KING'S FIELD.