Post by BogusMeatFactory »

1. Jazzpunk (PC)
2. Grand Theft Auto: Vice City (PS2)
3. Grandia (PS1)
4. Hotline Miami (PC)
5. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon (3DS)
6. Off-Peak (PC)
7. realMYST: Masterpiece Edition (PC)
8. Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords (DS)
9. Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
10. Space Pirates (PC)
11. NiGHTS Into Dreams (PC)
12. Inherit the Earth (PC)
13. Saints Row IV (PC)
14. Grand Theft Auto V (PC)
15. The You Testament (PC)
16. Dark Forces (PC)

17. Ratchet & Clank (PS2)
18. Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC)19. Gunman Clive (DS)
20. Her Story (PC)

21. Triple Triad (Mobile)
22. Earthbound (WiiU Virtual Console)
23. Mass Effect (PS3)

24. Return to Zork (PC)
25. Castlevania (NES)
26. Mass Effect 2 (PS3)
27. Undertale (PC)

It has been a while since I have updated the list. Beat a few games. Forgive me if I don't give a huge write up for the first games on the list, as the most recent is the most important.

Return to Zork - A beautifully flawed adventure game that predates Myst for its use of Full Motion Video. The game is cheesy, filled with frustrating puzzles and game ending mistakes that you can make early on, but there is something just endearing about the weirdness of the game. Plus, the CD soundtrack is great!

Castlevania - I beat this for the first time. I have had little exposure to the NES, as I was a PC kid at the time and later moved on to the Genesis. I felt like I needed to get this off my list. I loved the game a lot and found it to be very challenging, but not impossible. The toughest obstacle for me was Death himself. The scythes were driving me crazy and one instance, they killed me after I defeated the boss. Not cool. All in all though, the game is deserving of its praise. It really was a lot of fun!

Mass Effect 2 - I am a paragon character in the game and I really enjoyed the revamped combat system and the larger attention to detail with your crew and their interactions. I felt their loyalty missions really helped develop them and it was a joy to play. The main plot, though was... silly... really silly.

Undertale - I just finished Undertale, a charming, heartfelt masterpiece. The plot of the game is simple. You are a human that has mistakenly fell into the world of demons, who have been trapped underground for a very long time. In order to escape, you must reach the gate between the two worlds. There are many different ways you can achieve your goal and how the game progresses reflects your actions. I can not give anything away, but you have to understand that when I enthuse about things, I do so genuinely.

How rare is it that there is a game that rewards compassion and love? You are thrust in a world with endearing characters that you connect with, thanks to their honesty and sheer vibrancy. You feel for everyone around you and there is something rare and special with what is presented to you.

If you have read any comments I've made peppered through the forums about the game, know that the combat mechanics have been likened to a SHMUP, but I really can't say that it is. In combat, you have a heart that you control and you must either avoid or collect objects being thrown at you. The rules on how you do so change based on each enemy and there is something completely refreshing about this and it will always leave you feeling challenged. No two enemies are alike and the combat is always changing in a way that leaves you never bored.

Just know that Undertale is a story about love and it is hard to come away from the game not feeling passionate about everything. It touches you like few games can. Some people play games as an escape and some people fear emotions. Open yourself up to it. You deserve it.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

Wooo! Another Castlevania completion! Though the real secret to beating Death is to get there with holy water. Stunlock for days.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
flash1987
24-bit

Post by flash1987 »

I'd forgotten that PS smash thing had ever been released. It faded into obscurity pretty quick. Definitely would like to give it a shot at some point
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

BogusMeatFactory wrote:some people fear emotions

PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

Post by BogusMeatFactory »

Hahaha love it! The internet really does have a response for everything doesn't it?
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

1. Tomb Raider Definitive Edition (PS4)
2. Demon's Souls* NG+++ (PS3) [PLATINUM]
3. Castlevania (WiiUVC)
4. Dragon Age Inquisition (PS4)
5. Super Castlevania 4* (WiiUVC)
6. Castlevania Rondo of Blood (WiiVC)
7. Castlevania 3 Dracula's Curse (WiiUVC)
8. Castlevania Dracula X (WiiUVC)
9. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth (Wii)
10. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes (PS4)
11. Castlevania Bloodlines (Gen/Emu)
12. Castlevania Chronicles (PSN)
13. Donkey Kong Country* (WiiUVC)
14. Castlevania Harmony of Dissonance (WiiUVC)
15. Super Ghouls n' Ghosts (WiiUVC)
16. Castlevania Aria of Sorrow* (WiiUVC)
17. Bloodborne NG++ (PS4) [PLATINUM]
18. Sonic & Knuckles* (PS3)
19. Donkey Kong Country 2* (WiiUVC)
20. Sonic the Hedgehog 3* (PS3)
21. Mortal Kombat X (PS4)
22. Donkey Kong Country 3* (WiiUVC)
23. Sonic the Hedgehog 2* (PS3)
24. Sonic the Hedgehog* (PS3)
25. Ratchet & Clank Crack in Time* (PS3) [PLATINUM]
26. Dark Souls 2* NG++ (PS4) [PLATINUM]
27. Ratchet & Clank Into the Nexus (PS3) [PLATINUM]
28. Jak & Daxter Precursor Legacy HD (PS3) [PLATINUM]
29. Infamous 2 (PS3)
30. DuckTales Remastered (WiiU)
31. Yakuza 3 (PS3)
32. Borderlands 2 (PC)
33. Suikoden* (PSX)
34. Suikoden 2* (PSX)
35. Suikoden 3 (PS2)
36. Resident Evil Dead Aim (PS2)
37. Silent Hill 3* (PS2)
38. Silent Hill 2* (PS2)
39. Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4)
40. Metal Gear (PS3)
41. Metal Gear Solid* (PSX)
42. Metal Gear 2 (LP)
43. Outlast (PC)
44. Amnesia A Machine for Pigs (PC)
45. Thief (2014) (PC)
46. Dishonored* (PC)
47. Doom 64* EX (PC)
48. Sonic CD* (PS3)
49. Fallout 4 (PS4) [PLATINUM]
50. The Lost Vikings* (Genesis)

Maybe I have played and beaten the Genesis version of The Lost Vikings before, or the additional levels were so brief and easy that I didn't even notice. It was cool to go through this one, the colors definitely pop out more, but I'm still more partial to the SNES version and prefer the happy upbeat music for the Candy Land world haha.

Not sure what to play next, but probably another replay of some sort since I'm a bit low on finances. Or I may finally put more effort into hitting up The Lost Vikings 2 SNES. I own the PSX version and have beaten that one, but I love how the SNES one looks in comparison and don't think I've beaten that version.
Flake

Post by Flake »

Xeogred wrote:I keep thinking maybe I should give this one a chance, but yeah it didn't click and nor did what I played of the DS game back when it was new. As you and others along with myself seem to all agree though, NSMBU was fantastic, along with the Luigi expansion. I figure... I could just replay that instead of trying the others again.

The original New Super Mario Bros was the one on the DS. It was pretty fantastic and felt like a continuation of the gameplay ethos of the original Super Mario Bros. It remains (in my opinion) more playable than New Super Mario Bros Wii. I still think that NSMB2 for the 3DS is my favorite in that series.

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
6/18: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU VC/SNES)
9/5: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
9/11: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC/GBC)
10/22: Splatoon (WiiU)
10/27: Street Figher Alpha (Arcade/PS2)
11/3: Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
11/11: Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)
12/4: New Super Mario Bros Wii (Wii)
12/9: Fallout: New Vegas (PC)

At the risk of causing Noiseredux to have a panic attack - I add a completed PC game to the list. I have been toying with the idea of dropping the money to get Fallout 4 but it is hard to justify buying a new entry in a series that I haven't put any effort into the most recent game that I already own. And have owned. For years now.

Fallout: New Vegas is fun until the end game portion. All of a sudden I felt like I lost my ability to decide my own future and everything seemed to be funneling me down a very specific path. Though I enjoyed having a more decisive ending than anything Fallout 3 presented, I still felt like my sense of agency was removed no matter how I proceeded and having to side with one faction means alienating all others and invalidating any role playing I did.

It's still a fun game, though!
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Wow, what just happened?
Flake

Post by Flake »

noiseredux wrote:Wow, what just happened?

It's a Christmas miracle.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC
86. Catacomb Armageddon - PC
87. This Starry Midnight We Make - PC
88. Shadowrun Dragonfall - Director's Cut - PC
89. Catacomb Apocalypse - PC
90. Super Mario Bros. - NES
91. Tomb Raider Legend - PC
92. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
93. Tomb Raider Anniversary - PC
94. Tomb Raider Underworld - PC
95. StarCraft Brood War - PC

Ahhh, another RTS I've owned for ages down. That means all I have left on that front is Warcraft II, though I'm going to hold off on that as long as possible thanks to the rumors that Blizzard wants to remake I and II. Or I might try and find the Battle.net edition. The original DOS version is very hard to play since there's no group hotkeys.

So Brood War continues the story of StarCraft and sets up the main events of StarCraft II, though we don't realize it at the time. They also add a few new units, mostly to do some balance tweaking in multiplayer. There's a lot of "we added this to make Muta rushes less effective". It won't be until StarCraft II that they decide to keep single player and multi player separate, allowing for a lot of fun toys in the campaign while still balancing multiplayer.

Brood War is more difficult than the original, but not to an excessive degree. And it really doesn't kick in to the super hard stuff until the end of the Zerg campaign. For the Protoss and Terran campaigns they keep things pretty sane, and you still only fight one race at a time. But the Zerg campaign pulls out all the stops as it goes on. The 8th mission took me almost an hour and a half to beat and that was after I decided to shortcut to the end with a suicide gamble; had I gone on for a general wipe out victory it would have taken much longer. And the 10th mission took me over two hours. What makes the later Zerg missions so hard is a combination of things. The first is that you are facing multiple races, which means they tend to overlap how they are going to screw you over. The second is that the Zerg don't really have an uber unit like the Battlecruiser and the Carrier that you can just mass and win. The closest is Guardians with anti-air support from Mutas/Devourers, but even that gets utterly trashed by Valkyries. The 8th mission is an island hopping mission that is a huge resource drain, as the map is very narrow with you on one end and the objective on the other. If you don't get a good offense going you will quickly run out of resources, and even then you need to make sure each offensive doesn't cost too much or you will lose the war of attrition. The last mission is against three separate armies with you in the center. Fortunately, there are a ton of resources on the map, so once you can tap them victory is only a matter of time. But like before, you need to be able to take out one army to reduce the pressure and gain access to a large group of relatively safe resources.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.