Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by MrPopo »

Ack wrote:
MrPopo wrote:Battle out of Hell. First game of the year was Painkiller, figured since I was knocking out expansions I'd make the Painkiller expansion be 100.

You having fun with your ghost children and killer clowns yet?

Kids were fucking annoying. Way too many shots to bring down. Clowns were dead. I gave Leningrad an attempt and got killed, then had to go to the Star Wars Marathon. I'll get in some time today. I'm enjoying that the level is set to the Soviet National Anthem.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

Post by Ack »

That was my general opinion of all of Battle Out of Hell: cool ideas and levels, but bullet sponge enemies got annoying pretty quick. I found the expansion overall to be weaker than Painkiller.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC
83. Fallout 4 - PC
84. Bloodrayne - PC
85. Bloodrayne 2 - PC
86. Catacomb Armageddon - PC
87. This Starry Midnight We Make - PC
88. Shadowrun Dragonfall - Director's Cut - PC
89. Catacomb Apocalypse - PC
90. Super Mario Bros. - NES
91. Tomb Raider Legend - PC
92. Super Mario Bros. 3 - NES
93. Tomb Raider Anniversary - PC
94. Tomb Raider Underworld - PC
95. StarCraft Brood War - PC
96. Ninja Pizza Girl - PC
97. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel - Claptastic Voyage - PC
98. Duke Nukem Forever - The Doctor Who Cloned Me - PC
99. Doom 3 - Resurrection of Evil - PC
100. Painkiller - Battle Out of Hell - PC

The circle is now complete. When I finished my first game I was but the learner; now I am the master.

Battle Out of Hell is the expansion for Painkiller and the last of the Painkiller games to be done by People Can Fly. It adds two new weapons, a host of new enemy models, and 8 levels and 2 bosses. The new weapons are the real star; the first is a burst firing automatic with alt fire being a flamethrower. This thing is amazing. It feels like its shots do more damage than the minigun and the flamethrower is almost as awesome as the Deus Ex flamethrower; most enemies will die after a quick puff and a bit of waiting. The second weapon has the most misleading ammo display I've ever seen. Primary fire fires 5 pieces of rebar in a pattern of first the center, then the two next two it, then the two on the outside. It's essentially a stakegun that fires five shots with one trigger pull and doesn't suffer ballistic drop. The gun also features a single level of zoom to make it good for sniping. Secondary fire throws out ten bomblets in a spread in front of you. That one tends to make you take a lot of damage as they frequently like to bounce on enemies rather than exploding. Firing the primary fire uses 5 ammo and the secondary fire uses 10. Why they didn't just have each fire one and drop the max ammo count and pickup count I'll never know.

The enemies mostly fall into the category of melee or ranged, but this is Painkiller. It's about killing tons of dudes, not carefully figuring out the attack pattern of a handful of commandos. There are some interesting enemies, though. There are giant spider tanks that can shake the ground and pop you up, as well as German and Russian tanks from the Leningrad level (set to the Soviet National Anthem). There's also some cannon guys who dual wield black powder cannons that fire bouncing explody shots. And the final and worst enemy are the voodoo priests, who take a lot of punishment and deal unavoidable damage once they get active. It even bypasses your armor, since they're stabbing their voodoo dolls or some shit.

The two bosses consist of a more giant spider tank that you can't even fight unless you play on hard but is a pretty lame boss fight (I checked out the YouTube video) and a final fight against a giant demon. That second fight is depressingly bad. You have to stand on specific spots on the ground, hope he jumps on you which will animate a statue, then that statue walks up to him (and can be destroyed by him if you don't keep him distracted) and punches him in the back. If that connects the boss becomes vulnerable for a few seconds but has almost no HP. It doesn't feel like you accomplish anything when it's done.

The eight other levels are a mixed bag. Some are quite good and others are incredibly blah. At least they're short; the most I ever spent was 25 minutes on one level.

But hey, if you have Painkiller you almost definitely have this as well, since it's included in the Black edition.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

Wow Popo, beating 100 games in a year is really impressive! I've only been able to do around 40 haha.

Congrats! :D
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Congrats on the 100 Popo! Is this the first year you have really done that many, or just the first year you've tracked it like this? I seem to remember you taking part in past threads, but never with such a high count...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

As you know he's pro.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

dsheinem wrote:Congrats on the 100 Popo! Is this the first year you have really done that many, or just the first year you've tracked it like this? I seem to remember you taking part in past threads, but never with such a high count...

I participated in the tail end of last year's thread, mostly because of your article about making progress on your backlog. Last year I beat 63 gamers, the year before that was 29, and 2012 was 36 games. This also marks the first year where I'm going to end with more games beaten than acquired. I didn't set off to beat 100 games; rather the goal was to have a positive trend on my Backloggery. It would have been a better trend but then GOG got the SSI deal and that was a LOT of games.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2015
First 50 of the year:
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call - 3DS
A Bird Story - PC
Quake - PC
Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare - PS4
Quake: Scourge of Armagon - PC
Quake: Dissolution of Eternity - PC
Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis - NDS
Painkiller - PC
Gungrave: Overdose - PS2
Adventure -Atari 2600 (PS2)
Auto Racing - Intellivision (PS2) [1979]
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1980]
The Count - TI99/4A (emulated) [1981]
Dragonstomper - Atari 2600/Starpath Supercharger (emulated) [1982]
Enduro - Atari 2600 (PS2) [1983]
Diablo III - PS4
Front Line - Atari 2600 (emulated) [1984]
Gertie Goose - The Lost Eggs - C64 (emulated) [1985]
Ocean Commander - Wii
Mortal Kombat: Deadly Alliance - PS2
Diablo III: Reaper of Souls - PS4
Mortal Kombat: Deception - PS2
The Order: 1886 - PS4
The Uncle Who Works for Nintendo - PC
Grab Them By The Eyes - PC
Growl - PS2/Arcade
Hydlide - NES [1986]
Ikari Warriors - NES [1987]
Jonah Barrington's Squash - C64 (emulated) [1988]
Steel Diver - 3DS
Super Mario 3D World - - Wii U
Quake II - PC
Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number - PS4
Kung Fu Louie vs. The Martial Art Posse - PC [1989]
Loom - PC [1990]
Metroid II: Return of Samus - GB [1991]
Ninja Commando - - Arcade (MAME) [1992]
Tennis in the Face - Vita
Final Fantasy Type-0 HD - PS4
Quake II: The Reckoning - PC
Injustice: Gods Among Us - PS4
Assassin's Creed: Freedom Cry - PS4
Infamous: First Light - PS4
Race the Sun - PS4
Mad Riders - PS3
Destiny: House of Wolves - PS4
Escape Goat 2 - PS4
Tower of Guns - PS4
Wolfenstein: The Old Blood - PC
Supersonic Acrobatic Rocket-Powered Battle-Cars - PS3

NotGTAV - - PC
Flower - PS4
Everybody's Gone to the Rapture- PS4
Towerfall - PS4
Cyberbots - PS1
Battletoads (Arcade) - Xbox One
Forza Horizon 2 presents Fast and Furious - Xbox One
Gunman Clive 2 - 3DS
Geometry Wars 3: Dimensions - Vita
Rocket League - PS4
Far Cry 4 - PS4
Her Story - PC
Destiny: The Taken King - PS4
Retro City Rampage - Vita
Ultraflow - iOS
PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale - Vita
Tansformers: Devastation - PS4 *new*
Call of Duty: Black Ops - PS3 *new*
Call of Duty: Black Ops II - 360 *new*

Total: 69

Previously: 2014 | The First 400 Games

Hey, a Transformers game that is pretty darn good! Devastation is well worth a play for anyone who loves the original cartoon, likes DMC style games, or enjoys cel-shaded style graphics.

The first two Black Ops games probably have the most interesting narratives of any COD game, but I feel like the action/setpieces in the campaign take a back seat to those in the Modern Warfare installments in the series. I hope to play through Black Ops III this week.

If I can hit 75 games for the year, that would be swell...though it would be 5 less than my lowest year thus far (since I started counting in 2010). 80 seems like pie in the sky at this point, but perhaps I can find a way to cram in some shorter games or finish up some stuff that has been languishing.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

MrPopo wrote:I participated in the tail end of last year's thread, mostly because of your article about making progress on your backlog.

Oh cool! Glad to know it spurred you on to tackle the backlog in a more systematic way and that you were able to do it in such a way as to not feel it was a burden or task. :D
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

I try to hit 100-120 per year.

Though Popo's list is much more impressive than mine, as much of mine is "padded" with arcade/Atari/Intellivision... :lol: If I played exactly what Popo played I'd probably make it to game 40 or so.