Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:33 pm

pierrot wrote:I had a feeling you'd like Parvati. I kind of don't care very much about the crew in this game. I thought there was some potential to get a different group, but it sounds like you might have had the same six. I was watching Yahtzee's review, and ended up agreeing with it on pretty much all counts. I would have really liked to have the Spacer's Choice bartender, and Huxlee in my group, personally. Particularly Huxlee; She is all sorts of oddly adorable. She deserved more attention. It kind of annoys me how similar a lot of the named NPCs are, also.

Yeah, the crew of six is the crew of six. There're no other options for crew available (although the way you can just dismiss people whenever certainly implies that they're taking up a slot someone else could use though). And you and I tend to have very differing tastes in games and writing, so it doesn't really surprise me that the game isn't catching with you the same way it did with me :lol:
I totally agree on the bar tender though. She and so many other side characters have so much character to them that it seems like they might be potential companions.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:24 pm

I didn’t think The Outer Worlds’ characters or story...or any if its writing, really, were very good at all. I enjoyed my time with the game and the basic framework of the story worked as motivation to do things, but the writing was B-level stuff, at best.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:39 pm

Yeah, but in truth I was kind of expecting more. I don't dislike the writing, but it doesn't really inspire me either. I'm actually still kind of upset that the writers didn't at least look up how tidal locking works, or just basic orbital dynamics, though. Perhaps my expectations were just too high. I guess if dsh didn't even like the writing, I could probably cut it some slack.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:04 am

dsheinem wrote:I didn’t think The Outer Worlds’ characters or story...or any if its writing, really, were very good at all. I enjoyed my time with the game and the basic framework of the story worked as motivation to do things, but the writing was B-level stuff, at best.

What would you hold up as an exemplary standard of game writing that Outer Worlds fails to hit, dsh? :O
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:15 am

I heard it explained well somewhere else: in Outer Worlds “everything is possible so nothing really matters”. That seemed spot on. There was no reason to invest in any of these characters.

A better standard? I’d say Bioware’s games generally do a better job with world building through narrative and connecting changes in the story to player mutability/choice. The dialogue trees in most of their games are both more complex and more connected to how the game unfolds. Past that I’d say that there’s literally hundreds of better-written RPGs (e.g. classic Square titles, some Bethesda games), or other story-driven games that are deliberately self-contained (e.g. Naughty Dog games, Irrational games), but since it is probably only fair to compare Outer Worlds to similar games in its subgenre, Bioware is still probably the standard for what they are attempting to do.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:01 pm

Far Cry 3 for PS4. It came free with the deluxe edition of Far Cry 5.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:34 pm

First 50
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)
26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)
39. Congo Bongo (Arcade)
40. Phantasy Star Gaiden (GG)
41. Phantasy Star Adventure (GG)
42. Panzer Dragoon Mini (GG)
43. Spartan X-2 (Famicom)
44. BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (Super Famicom)
45. BS The Legend of Zelda (Super Famicom)
46. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (NDS)
47. Double Dribble (NES)
48. Super Pro Football (INTV)
49. Indy 500 (2600)
50. Tecmo Bowl (NES)

51. Ninja Gaiden (GG)
52. SonSon (Arcade)
53. Wonder Girl: The Dragon’s Trap (iOS)
54. Minit (iOS)
55. Ninja Gaiden (SMS)
56. Surround (2600)
57. Pocket Bomberman (GBC)
58. Shadowgate (iOS)
59. Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA)
60. Metroid Prime Hunters - First Hunt (NDS)
61. Mekorama (iOS)
62. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
63. Akamajou Dracula Peke (TG16)
64. Darius Burst (iOS)
65. DoDonPachi Resurrection HD (iOS)
66. Vigilante (TG16)
67. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
68. Oxenfree (iOS)
69. Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (NES)
70. Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (iOS)

Tormentum: Dark Sorrow is the video game equivalent of a word find where every word is something like “death”, “wolves”, “suffering”, “torment”, “hellfire”, “chains”, etc. That is, it’s a pretty lame game that’s metal AF. Tormentum: Dark Sorrow is definitely an example of the much maligned, casual “hidden object” adventure genre, but all of the artwork is inspired by Hieronymus Bosch and H.R. Ginger. So, instead of searching an over-saturated, over-stuffed picture of a tropical beach or quaint Victorian home for clues and mini-games, you search various hellscapes full of rotting corpses, ancient nightmares, and semi-human monsters. (Awesome!!) The game also presents you with some moral choices throughout your journey, most of which are pretty basic (“Do I murder this guy or not?” PRO-TIP: To get the most metal ending, a/k/a the “bad” ending, the answer is always, “murder.”) The game starts with a quote from Immanuel Kant; so, the “right” answers are usually pretty obvious. They add a nice twist to the game, however, and the “right” choices don’t always have great consequences. Accordingly, the game’s philosophy is a bit deeper than it lets on at first. (Not a lot deeper. Just a bit, but still deeper than most games with similar mechanics.). You can whip through the game in a few hours, and it’s worth it just for the awesome artwork. It is also available on just about every platform; so, if you’re looking to kill some time with a relatively easy, but still pretty awesome, game, I recommend it.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:19 pm

First 50:
1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC
40. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC
41. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch
42. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PC
43. Ion Fury - PC
44. Final Fantasy Adventure - GB
45. Astral Chain - Switch
46. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - PC
47. Blasphemous - Switch
48. Daemon x Machina - Switch
49. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch
50. Borderlands 3 - PC

51. Valfaris - Switch
52. Unreal: Return to Na Pali - PC
53. The Outer Worlds - PC
54. MechWarrior 4: Black Knight - PC
55. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: System Rift - PC
57. MDK - PC

MDK is a locked camera third person shooter by Shiny. You might remember Shiny from Earthworm Jim and a bunch of forgettable games. MDK came out after both Earthworm Jim games and serves as Shiny's entry into the PC market. The game is pretty good from a technical perspective; when you consider the technology of the time they were able to produce some interesting effects and create an overall competent performance. It's a much more consistent game than the Earthworm Jim games, and while it is short it's not too bad of a trip.

The basic premise is that there's aliens invading earth with giant city crawlers that will overrun a city. The first city is Laguna Beach in SoCal, and the rest are in the UK for some reason. However, the actual locations don't matter, as everything is set within the crawlers. And the terrain doesn't actually feel like you're within some sort of big machine; it's instead a series of large arenas and small tunnels connecting them. Also, while there is a timer counting down until a city is destroyed there is zero impact to letting a city be destroyed.

In order to defeat the aliens you are given a super suit that lets you safely reenter Earth's orbit (every mission starts with you free falling and avoiding missiles), has a parachute for long jumps, a machine gun on your right hand, and a sniper cannon on your head. This leads to the main gimmick of the game; you can zoom in at any time with an impressive zoom length and start sniping. You have a variety of bullets available; an infinite use sniper round, grenade rounds, homing rounds, homing grenade rounds, and mortars (the last of which can be lobbed). The sniping lets you one shot enemies with headshots and are sometimes required to precisely target things your main gun cannot hit. You can also pick up a variety of items mid stage for additional destruction.

The game has light puzzle elements; in many arenas you have to figure out how to unlock the next area, which might require killing a specific enemy, or nailing certain targets to open a gate. These get more pronounced as the game goes on, and the consequences for taking longer to figure them out get harsher (in the form of enemies sapping your health and the number of health pickups going down). The last couple levels you will likely need to play twice; once to figure out what you're supposed to do, and once to do it without losing a ton of health in the process. Every stage ends with a boss fight, which again serves as more of a puzzle in that you need to do something specific to take out the boss, rather than having a big guy with tons of health.

The game definitely shows a bit of that late 90s "we're not really sure about this whole 3D thing" in the control scheme; you'll want to use the keyboard for movement and turning and save the mouse for firing and aiming with the sniper rifle; when not sniping the mouse X axis is forward and back, and transitioning between keyboard and mouse movement stops you dead. The game, fortunately, does not get over ambitious; it knows what it's trying to do and does it reasonably well. Compare with Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which had grand ideas but a lack of execution. MDK is a solid little title certainly worth getting when it's on sale, which is often enough.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:26 am

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *
34. Hebereke (Famicom)
35. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SFC)
36. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SFC)
37. Donkey Kong Country (SFC) *
38. Wario's Woods (Famicom)
39. Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
40. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
41. Luigi's Mansion (3DS) *
42. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
43. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga & Bowser's Minions (3DS)
44. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story & Bowser Jr's Journey (3DS)
45. Tomato Adventure (GBA)
46. Corpse Party (PSP)
47. Rave Master: Fighting Live (GC)
48. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) *
49. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
50. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) *
51. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
52. The Outer Worlds (Xbone)
53. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Xbone)

54. Guacamelee 2 (Xbone)

Continuing my spree of playing through recent indie Metroidvanias via Game Pass, I played through Guacamelee 2. I quite enjoyed the first game, but never got around to playing the 2nd one until now. It took me a while to click with it, but I enjoyed my time with this game. It took me roughly 9 hours to beat on the normal difficulty with the best ending and full completion.

Guacamelee 2 is very much more of the first game. I'd heard that before I started playing it, and that's pretty true to what it is. There are a couuuple new things. The number of character in co-op has been increased from 2 to 4 (although I've heard that the game is utterly unplayable with 2, let alone 4 people trying to do the same platforming puzzles), and the chicken form has been given some new moves. I wanna say there also are a few new enemy types, but I don't' remember the first game well enough to say just how many of these are new. Other than that, this game will be mechanically and stylistically very familiar to anyone who has played the first game. Sequences of platforming intermixed with brawling arenas in the "Metroidvania but a beat 'em up" style that Guacamelee 1 did so well with a heavy aesthetic of Mexican Luchador wrestling. It wasn't broke, so they didn't fix it. However I would say that this game is a bit easier than the first, from the platforming to the combat encounters, it never feels like I'm really struggling like a good few areas in 1 felt.

The writing is a very irreverent and meme-filled style that the first game also had, but this feels cranked up a notch. The villains aren't as memorable as the first game (although the best characters from the first game do make reappearances, especially Flame Face), and at least as far as I remember, there are a LOT more outright meme references in this one than the 1st one. Some of them land, a fair few of them don't, and I'd be lying if I said it never got grating. To be totally fair to the game, a lot of the meme stuff and homages to old games/other indie games (of which there are quite a few and are often boring/bad/weird) is all optional content, but if you want the best ending to the game, you'll come across them if not finish them in your hunt for the 5 special things you need. There are also a lot more new versions of the Luchador-ification of pop culture characters in the form of wrestling promotional posteres in the background (one of my favorites being a He-Man & Skeletor one), and they do not disappoint.

The game definitely looks a lot prettier than the first. Guacamelee 1 looks like a game that was made to be able to run on a Wii U, while 2 really cranks up the art style. The angular, not-quite-hand-drawn style is really boosted by a lot of flourishes that bring enemies and environments to life in beautiful color, and the game never suffers any performance drops for it (as I'd damn well hope it wouldn't). The music is nice, but never super stand-out memorable. I mostly had podcasts on while I played it, but I did still have the sound on enough to hear the largely atmospheric music.

Verdict: Recommended. Certainly not a bad game, but nothing super duper special. Especially if you've already played the first one, this game isn't a must-play if you have very limited time. But if you're like me and love any Metroidvania you can get your hands on, you'll enjoy your time with Guacamelee 2. If you wanted more Guacamelee, this delivers it in a way just as good as it was the last time (for better or worse).
Ack

by Ack Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:37 am

MrPopo wrote:57. MDK - PC

I have owned MDK for years and tried several times to play it, and it just never clicks for me. I just cannot get into it for some reason.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming