Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pierrot
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by pierrot Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:11 pm

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Bowser & Mallow is fairly definitively the worst possible team you can have because both of them have such poor survivability and questionable damage output

I didn't feel like Bowser's damage output was that questionable, personally. I was usually able to do more damage with him than with Geno. I was rolling with Bowser and Geno through most of the game, but I think I eventually swapped out Geno for Peach, at the end of the game. I kind of wanted Mallow to be less useless for some of that time, but it is what it is.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:33 am

pierrot wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:Bowser & Mallow is fairly definitively the worst possible team you can have because both of them have such poor survivability and questionable damage output

I didn't feel like Bowser's damage output was that questionable, personally. I was usually able to do more damage with him than with Geno. I was rolling with Bowser and Geno through most of the game, but I think I eventually swapped out Geno for Peach, at the end of the game. I kind of wanted Mallow to be less useless for some of that time, but it is what it is.

It's not so much that Bowser specifically has bad damage output, rather that Mallow has such terrible survivability that Bowser spent most of his time reviving Mallow (who in turn spent a lot of his time healing himself and Bowser). Mallow really drags down Bowser, because it means two party members kinda constantly needed to be healed, or at least that was how my experience with it was.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Ziggy587

by Ziggy587 Wed Aug 14, 2019 8:39 am

Every time I've played through it, Peach always immediately replaced Mallow for me. Peach is pretty much Mallow 2.0 anyway. But come to think of it, I can't seem to remember if I usually used Geno or Bowser for the last third of the game. I'll have to check my save files.
I'm parting with some duplicate Blu-Ray and DVD movies. Check out this thread if interested.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Wed Aug 14, 2019 9:28 am

Oh, I see what you mean, now. Yeah, even with Geno/Bowser I guess that’s something of an issue, but I don’t remember it really being a problem. I’m not sure that I really needed to switch in Peach, either, but I kind of did it for safety, and bosses.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:51 pm

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 47
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

February (2 Games Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2
14. Fallout 76 - PlayStation 4 - February 3

March (4 Games Beaten)
15. Octopath Traveler - Switch - March 2
16. Resident Evil 0 - PlayStation 4 - March 9
17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PlayStation 4 - March 10
18. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - Game Boy Advance - March 30

April (3 Games Beaten)
19. Moemon - Game Boy Advance - April 5
20. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch - April 10
21. Wargroove - Switch - April 26

May (8 Games Beaten)
22. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Switch - May 5
23. Battlefield V - PlayStation 4 - May 9
24. Timespinner - PlayStation 4 - May 12
25. Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - PlayStation 4 - May 17
26. Shenmue - PlayStation 4 - May 19
27. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - PlayStation 2 - May 26
28. Team Sonic Racing - Switch - May 29
29. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - PlayStation 2 - May 30

June (5 Games Beaten)
30. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprache Zarathustra - PlayStation 2 - June 2
31. Gato Roboto - Switch - June 3
32. Katana Zero - Switch - June 4
33. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Wii U - June 8
34. Dark Savior - Saturn - June 12

July (12 Games Beaten)
35. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim - Switch - June 7
36. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dragonborn - Switch - June 7
37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
44. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16
45. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18
46. My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? - Switch - July 19

August (1 Game Beaten)
47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10

47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10

The prospect of writing a review for Fire Emblem: Three Houses has been a bit intimidating for me this week. It's one of those games that just got so much so right. No matter what I say about it, I know that I'll forget to mention some amazing aspect, and since Fire Emblem is a series so near and dear to my heart - my all-time favorite Nintendo IP and quite possibly my favorite video game series - I really want to do it justice. Three Houses, especially, is an exceptional game. It might have surpassed Awakening for my title of "best Fire Emblem game." It's definitely the most approachable Fire Emblem game for newcomers.

Fire Emblem: Three Houses has you assume the role of Byleth (or, as I named her in my playthrough, Atra), a mercenary-turned-teacher at the Officers' Academy at the monastery of Garreg Mach. You are given the choice to lead one of the three houses of the Academy - Blue Lions, the house for students from the Kingdom; Golden Deer, the house for students from the Alliance; and Black Eagles, the house for students from the Empire. Each house is more inclined to one combat style or another, but it's important to note that you have a LOT of leeway over how you guide each character's development, and you can change classes at will provided that skill requirements are met. Black Eagle has more magically-inclined students, Blue Lions has more physically-inclined students, and Golden Deer has more archery-focused students. Each of the houses has units of all types, so go with whatever characters speak to you most. Each house is led by its respective country's heir; Claude is the heir to the ruling house of the Alliance, Dimitiri is the crown prince of the Kingdom, and Edelgard is next in line to the imperial throne. Obviously, Black Eagles is the only correct choice because Edelgard is bae (or, as the #SwitchCorps group DM on Twitter and I took to calling her, Baedelgard).

Three Houses made a lot of changes to the traditional Fire Emblem formula both in and out of battle. First and foremost, you'll feel like you're playing a Persona game if persona were an SRPG instead of a JRPG. Each chapter takes place during the course of a month, and in the month before that chapter's story battle, you can spend time exploring campus and building your relationships with your students, you can host seminars that your students can attend to develop skills, you can engage in extra battles - paralogues and side quests and such, or you can just rest. At the start of each week, you set up your week's lecture. You can set what skills each student focuses on developing and work one-on-one with certain students to develop their skills further provided that they have enough motivation.

The biggest change in combat come with how support levels work and to magic. Magic was the most surprising change for me, so I'll start there. In previous Fire Emblem games, magic tomes have been items that equip and degrade just like weapons. After a certain amount of use, your tome breaks, and you have to buy another one. Magic is totally different in Three Houses. As you level up your two magic skills - Reason for black magic and Faith for white magic - you unlock new combat skills. Each spell has a certain number of charges to denote how many times that spell can be used in battle. When you deplete those charges, you can no longer use that spell just like in previous games, but rather than being a tome that breaks, your spells' charges are all replenished at the start of the next battle. I was unsure about this change at first, but the farther I got into the game, the more I loved it. This absolutely should be how Fire Emblem does magic going forward.

The support levels aren't as pronounced in Three Houses as they were in previous Fire Emblem games. You still get a slight combat boost to accuracy and evasion when adjacent to a unit with which you have good support, but more important than that are the effects to the battalions and gambits. Every unit can equip a battalion like an item, and the battalions give a stat boost and a bonus ability called a gambit depending on the battalion type and level. When you have multiple units adjacent to an enemy, they all join in on your gambit, strengthening your attack. Likewise, you can get a boost if you have allied units within attack range of an enemy unit that you're attacking. The support effects may be less openly pronounced than in previous games, but I'd argue that they're actually more important and a lot deeper than in previous games as far as strategy applications go.

The game's story revolves around a mysterious threat to the monastery in the game's first part, but I'm not going to mention anything about the game's second part because it's hard to say anything about it without going into straight spoilers, and this game is just too dang good to risk that. I will say, though, that there are four distinct paths you can choose in the game, but that's as much as I'm going to say. The story is pretty standard Fire Emblem stuff, but it's so exceptionally well told (as is usually the case with Fire Emblem) that I found myself unable to pull away from the game most of the time. The artstyle is absolutely gorgeous, the sound design is completely perfect, and the characters all feel real and distinct from one another. My only complaint with any of that is that some of the environmental textures - especially the floors in the monastery - are frankly garbage. They're super low resolution and just look ugly compared to the otherwise gorgeous character models.

I'm sure there's a lot that I should have said and didn't, but really, I doubt any review could really do justice to this game. I am, admittedly, a bit biased because I love Fire Emblem SO much and am such a huge fan of the Switch, but this truly is a spectacular game and right up there with Awakening as a prime example of what a strategy RPG should be. If you have a Switch, you absolutely owe it to yourself to add this game to your collection. If you don't have a Switch, this game alone is reason enough to buy one. I can't heap enough praise onto Fire Emblem: Three Houses. It's kind of a masterpiece, guys.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:57 pm

Games Beaten 2019

Kentucky Route Zero Act 1 - PC
All Our Asias - PC
Shape of the World - Switch
Hidden Folks - PC
Hyrule Warriors - Wii U
Onrush - PS4
Assassin's Creed Origins - X1
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -360
Metro Exodus - PS4
Split/Second - 360
Far Cry: New Dawn - PS4
Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon - X1
Marvel vs Capcom Infinite - PS4
Rage - PC
Red Faction: Armageddon - 360
Momonga Pinball Adventure - Switch
Psycho Soldier - Arcade/Vita
Super Mutant Alien Assault - Vita
Burly Men at Sea - Vita
Sigil - PC
Fat Princess - PS3
Borderlands 2: Commander Lilith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
Monster World IV - Genesis (PS3)
Marvel's Spider-Man - PS4 *new*
Total: 24

Previously: 2018 2017 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Aug 16, 2019 12:13 pm

I'm actually deeply confused. He knocks the sword out of the guy's hand, so why does the guy have a new sword in his other hand?
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:46 pm

1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC
40. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC
41. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch
42. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PC

Back in the mid 2000s a game was released by From Software, famous (at the time) for the Armored Core series on the Xbox. A game that was intended to be released overseas, but unfortunately stayed in Japan only. A game that slowly gained a reputation across the internet for it's pure, concentrated, burning American freedom. A game that is now available on modern systems.

Metal Wolf Chaos is an action mecha game where you play as the President of the United States of America. The Vice President, RICHAAAARRRRDDDDD!, manages to get the entire US Military on his side and deposes you in a coup. But, because you are the President of the United States of America, you will not go down quietly. After busting out of DC in Air Force One you head to San Francisco and take back America from west to east.

As you can tell, the game is hammy to the extreme. There are five voiced roles in the game: the president, the vice president, the president's aide, the leader of the resistance (who only does something in one mission), and a journalist. From what I can tell based on the performances, the president, aide, and journalist are just bad voice actors. The resistance leader is a standard actor. And the vice president is a guy who knew what he was doing and hammed it up to the extreme.

But memes aside, how is the game as an actual game? Surprisingly, it's a solid title. It doesn't share the complexity of Armored Core; instead, you stomp through various US locales with a large backpack of weapons. You can equip between four and eight weapons per mission; some weapons require two hands and take up two backpack slots, others only take up one. You can equip at any one time either one two handed or two one handed weapons, and can swap between them as you see fit. So if you want to have a machine gun in one hand and a bazooka in the other, go nuts. Each hand is triggered separately so you don't waste ammo unnecessarily. The missions generally have a structure of needing to destroy a series of buildings or other stationary targets. There are a handful of bosses which are of the "big dumb machine" variety that take a lot of damage to take out. You have a boost mechanic, and you can jump and do a ground pound. Finally, you have a super meter which is filled by destroying enemies and can be expended to ask your enemies "HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?!?!" while you unload literally every weapon you brought into battle. It's not necessarily deep, but it is enjoyable. The biggest strike against the game is that half the arsenal feels pretty bad, but you also can avoid all that due to the freedom to choose which weapons you purchase and upgrade.

If you're a fan of mech games or BURNING AMERICAN FREEDOM then you owe it to yourself to play this one.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Aug 18, 2019 8:17 am

@MrPopo: that ludicrous game sounds right up my alley, i will definitely check it out at some point
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Aug 18, 2019 9:01 am

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *
34. Hebereke (Famicom)
35. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SFC)
36. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SFC)
37. Donkey Kong Country (SFC) *
38. Wario's Woods (Famicom)

39. Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)

A favorite Twitch streamer of mine mentioned this game earlier in the week and called it "the second best Paper Mario game." I was naturally quite intrigued by this. I had heard some fairly good things about Color Splash, but never such high praise as this. I was in between bigger games, and Color Splash happened to be one of the few Wii U games I'd brought with me from America with the intent to finish eventually, so I set to work. Five days later and about 40-50 hours of gameplay later (getting nearly all the cards and doing enough stuff to get the "real" ending), I can say that this is not just a great Paper Mario game, it is the BEST Paper Mario game.

The story of Color Splash revolves around Peach recieving a strange letter in the mail: A folded up Toad with no color! She brings it to Mario, and the two of them along with a single Toad retainer go off on a boat to the island the letter was postmarked from: Port Prisma. Upon arriving there, they find an island whose paint has been sucked up in droves by a mysterious force of largely Shy Guys, and with the help of their new friend Huey the paint can, Mario sets off to work to save the island and return its color. It's not an incredible feat of storytelling that has something super in-depth or meaningful to say about the human condition, of course. This IS a Mario game, so the guess of who's behind it all isn't that difficult. That said, the real winning part of the story is its presentation and the dialogue.

This game is, even for a Paper Mario game, incredibly silly and irreverent in its humor. It's constantly breaking the 4th wall, making homages to other Mario and Paper Mario games, and poking fun at RPGs and the Mario series in general with its own spin on a very modern humor. It's a sense of humor that will probably date the game to a certain extent, compared to the other Paper Mario games certainly, but it had me absolutely in stitches the entire time I was play. I loved getting to an area with new NPCs because I just HAD to talk to everyone. Huey especially is the ultimate realization of the replacement for the colorful cast of sidekicks that the first two Paper Mario games had but the next two did away with. He really feels like a companion and a character rather than just a guide through the story, and Huey in particular is probably what puts the writing and humor of this game above the other Paper Mario games for me. Huey is the only actual new Mario character in this, as all the citizens of Port Prisma are Toads and not some new kind of islander (despite the Stars looking like Isle Delfino Shines, that is entirely coincidental and no Mario Sunshine references or characters are in this at all, actually), but the way the game is written, the island really feels like it has a personality all its own in a way that feels different from other Mario RPGs. I'm sure some people will bounce off the humor of this game, but it clicked with me 100%.

Further on the topic of presentation, this game is really nice looking. Paper Mario is hardly a photo-realistic art style, of course, but they really lean into the paper-craft look of the series in a way that is a logical progression of how they were treating things in Sticker Star. It's also referenced in the dialogue/humor a lot, how everyone/thing is paper, but everything looks that way and acts like it too. Enemies will tear up the cardboard to try and smash you with it, Toads will fling themselves like shuriken to make a staircase, Bowser's goons will tape doors shut with Bowser-branded tape to keep you from getting past. The game's HD look and its style make the game look great, and except for a few cutscenes, the game keeps a really solid framerate as well.

Even still, the best part of the presentation may be the game's music. Now I'm not usually one to notice music in games or even talk about it, but holy crap this game has some incredible music. It has a really well done orchestral score that I think may be my favorite sound track to a game ever. It does a great job at setting the atmosphere for more serious moments (the few there are), as well as creating a specific brand of silliness for different lands you visit throughout the island. Music is of course a very subjective topic, but this is the only game I've ever played that I've thought "where can I buy the soundtrack for this thing?"

Speaking of lands, that's another thing this game does a little bit differently from other Intelligent Systems Mario RPGs. Rather than a traditional hub world, the game has several dozen "stages," which are more linear experiences unto themselves. You find different exits in each in the form of stars, and those starts create paths to other stages. Many stages even have redundant exits leading to already explored stages just to make the world map a bit more easy to get around. It's a really clever way to design an RPG's world, as it means that things lack a concrete "point A to point B" cohesion, but it also means that each stage feels like a complete experience in and of itself.

Now finally, we get to the meat and potatoes of an RPG, the combat. I'm gonna start out immediately with clarifying that, as you may've guessed, this is far from the most complex RPG combat system in the world. If Final Fantasy V is the baseline you set for RPG combat systems, and anything less will make a game super boring for you, then you won't find much to love here. That said, this is the most complex a Paper Mario game's combat has ever been. By expanding on Sticker Star's dull and pointless combat, they've managed to create something really compelling and interesting.

The biggest problem Sticker Star, the previous Paper Mario game, had was that the combat felt like a waste of time. Your stickers were limited, and because there was no XP system in that game, getting into battles felt like something universally worth avoiding, since it would just drain your precious sticker supply. All you cared about were HP and stickers, and battles drained both of those things for very little reward past the occasional rare sticker. Color Splash fixes all of this this by adding one more thematically appropriate resource pool: Paint.

In Color Splash, instead of stickers, you have battle cards. Battle cards don't require being painted to be used, but they're far more powerful when imbued with paint. However, your red, blue, and yellow paint reserves are limited, so in addition to keeping track of how many of each card you have (out of a max of 99), you also must keep track of how much paint you're using. Battling enemies will use up paint and cards, yes, but battling enemies will net you more paint as well as EXP, which is the only way to increase your maximum paint supplies, which you'll want as high as possible. 1-Up mushrooms that refill your paint supplies in battle are rare, and XP doesn't affect how hard you hit, only the power of the card affects what damage you do, and more powerful cards need a lot more paint. Pre-painted cards do exist and can be bought in-game, but they're far more expensive and harder to find than unpainted cards. Enemies are persistent with the instance of the stage, so if you clear out a room, it'll stay cleared out until you exit the stage, so each stage effectively acts like one larger resource management puzzle (albeit a bit of a simple one: this is far from the hardest game in the world), and the large variety of them makes opening up a new stage always something exciting.

The last returning feature to be improved upon from Sticker Star is the Thing system. Things are objects which are not made of paper that you'll find in the world that can have the paint squeezed out of them to have them turned into a battle card. These are almost always a part of the solution to some puzzle at some point in the game, whether its an environemental puzzle or a certain part of a boss battle, and knowing which ones to have and when is crucial to not getting stuck. The up-side to this is not only can you buy another of any Thing you've found at a store, like you could in Sticker Star, but unlike Sticker Star, there's a Toad in a trash can right next to that store who will give you a hint (granted its a very obvious hint) of what kind of Thing the next puzzle you'll encounter will require. It removes any element of clairvoyance you'd need to have to guess which Things to take along with you for the next stage, and helps the game flow much better since you aren't constantly backtracking to get the Thing you had no idea you'd need.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. This game is one of my favorite games I've played all year. It's up there with Dad of War as a game I thought I might like when I started it, but grew to absolutely adore as an all-time favorite over the course of completing it. I stand firm in that this is the best Paper Mario game, and it is also a contender for best Mario RPG (and that includes Mario & Luigi games) as well. The humor certainly won't be for everyone, and the combat will be too simple for some RPG fans as well, but if you've enjoyed any of the other Paper Mario games, you will likely enjoy this game quite a lot as well.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming