Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2013

by Fragems Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:31 pm

Games Beaten 2013
1. BF3(PC)
2. Driver San Fransisco(PC)
3. Inversion(PC)
4. Xcom Enemy Unknown(PC)
5. Lord of the Rings War In the North(PC)
6. Deponia(PC)
7. Medal of Honor(PC)
8. Medal of Honor: Warfigther(PC) AKA Door Breach SIM 2012
9. Kingdom Hearts(PS2) 5/26/13
10. Where's Waldo(NES) 6/2/13
11. Call of Duty Modern Warfare 3(360) 6/16/13
12. Airlock(Atari 2600) 6/20/13
13. Adventure(Atari 2600) 7/1/13
14. Eco Fighters(PSP Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded) 7/5/13
15. The Last of Us(PS3) 7/10/13
16. Bioshock Infinite(PS3) 7/19/13
17. Star Ocean First Departure(PSP) 8/8/13
18. Bionic Commando(PSP Capcom Classics Collection Remixed) 8/8/13
19. Captain Commando(PSP Capcom Classics Collection Remixed) 8/12/13
20. Vanquish(360) 9/6/13
21. Quantum Theory(360) 9/8/13
22. Dead Island(PC) 10/25/13
23. Mars Matrix(MAME) 10/27/13
24. Battlefield 4(PC)
25. Saint's Row 4(PC)
26. Tomb Raider(2013)(PC) 12/8/13
27. Game Dev. Tycoon(PC)
28. Catherine(PS3)

Played it through over the last three days. I have to say I was thoroughly pleased by the experience.

The story was great and kept me guessing, with plenty of twists, and interesting characters. Plus the ending was great it was yet another game where I thought it was over 2-3 hours before the actual end. Plus for once a game with closure they had an additional scene which showed how things played out 3+ months after the events of the game clearing up any concerns that the ending I ended up with left behind. The visuals and voice acting were also really good making it that much better.

Game play was also very solid. The puzzles are pretty challenging but you can usually figure the majority of them out without draining to many of your lives away. Plus on normal at least there were plenty of lives to go around think I finish with around 71 extra lives even with draining 30+ on one particularly annoying puzzle :P. Every stage you get a larger variety of blocks to deal with and using them or avoiding them can greatly alter how you approach a puzzle. I was surprised at how addictive the puzzles were as well. I was initially drawn to the game for the story and was a little worried the puzzle setup would get boring. However the climb eventually became quite enjoyable once I got the hang of things and the boss chase levels which I hated at first actually came to be the funnest parts of the game.

During the course of the game there were only two things that really turned me off. First of all was whenever you were hanging from the backside of the puzzle the controls were reversed. At first I didn't realize this so I would end up bobbling back and forth on the edge of a block for 10+ seconds trying to navigate around things. However I later learned to hold the direction I wanted to go before the controls got reversed and Vincent would continue heading in that direction till you released it. The other thing that bothered me immensely was the camera it was fixed on the front of the puzzle so navigation behind the puzzle or behind blocks was annoying as hell to say the least :P. Some of the boss effects would also obscure your view while falling leading to some rather cheap deaths if you weren't careful. The only part of the game which I truly loathed was Stage 6 level 3 I blew about 40 lives on the first part :P trying to use the unrelated techniques that I was taught in the safe zone prior to starting it :P.

Altogether I highly recommend it. Feel content with the ending I got since I'm pretty sure it's one of the best positive endings. However I might have to go back because there were a lot of people I probably could have saved or interacted with more in the bar(didn't realize people would leave sometimes if you didn't talk to them fast enough :P). Anyways it's a great game.

NOTE OF CAUTION:
This is definitely not a game to play with the family there is a lot of sexual content and while there is no full on nudity there are plenty of nude scenes that are cleverly edited and you will receive multiple sexts during the course of the game :P.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:59 am

Turns out my count was off by one, so I ended up just playing an 85th game this morning and will skip the "try to get 5 more in before midnight" idea. Other things to do today...

GAMES BEATEN 2013 - FINAL LIST:
Twisted Metal - PS1
Twisted Metal 2 - PS1
Twisted Metal III - PS1
Twisted Metal 4 - PS1
Screaming Mad George's Paranoiascape - PS1
N.O.V.A. - PSP
Jetpack Joyride - Vita
Devil May Cry (2013) - 360
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Fighting Masters - Genesis
Kirby's Epic Yarn - Wii
Cruis'n - Wii
Foosball 2012 - Vita
Electronic Table Soccer! - Odyssey2
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3
Asura's Wrath - PS3
Showdown in 2100 A.D. - Odyssey2
CoD of Duty - PC
Little Big Planet Karting - PS3
Gattling Gears - PS3
Monster Maulers - Arcade (MAME)
Angry Birds Rio - iOS
The Last Story - Wii
Retro/Grade - PS3
Sonic Fighters - 360
Spec Ops: The Line - PS3
God of War: Ascension - PS3
Bioshock Infinite - PS3
Half-Life: Source - PC
Guacamelee - Vita
Tekken 6 - PSP
Half-Life: Blue Shift - PC
Power Stone - PSP
Power Stone 2 - PSP
Torchlight - PC
Torchlight II - PC
Gorgar (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Metro: Last Light - 360
The Last Blade - Arcade (MAME)
Fatal Fury Special - Arcade (PS2)
Halo 2600 - Atari 2600
Lollipop Chainsaw - PS3
Sonic Colors - Wii
Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow over Mystara -Arcade (360)
Final Fight - Arcade (360)
The Last of Us - PS3
Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - Arcade (360)
Aliens: Colonial Marines - PC
Dodonpachi Resurrection - 360
Boxing - Atari 2600 (PS2)
Commander Keen Episode 1: Marooned on Mars - PC
DLC Quest - PC
Live Freemium or Die - PC
Borderlands 2: Sir Hammerlock's Big Game Hunt - PC
Marvel vs Capcom 3 - PS3
Borderlands 2: Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep - PC
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger - PC
Street Fighter IV - iOS
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R - Vita
The Elder Scrolls IV: Skyrim - 360/PC
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages - GBC
Killzone: Mercenary - Vita
Galaga Legions DX - PS3
Angry Birds Star Wars II - iOS
Tales from Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - Vita
Darkstalkers Chronicle: The Chaos Tower - PSP
Little Inferno - iOS
The Stanley Parable - PC
Plants vs. Zombies - - Vita
Device 6 - iOS
Gone Home - PC
Touch My Katamari - Vita
Bulletstorm - 360
Call of Duty: Ghosts - PS4
Killzone Shadowfall - - PS4
Gun Commando - Vita
XMAS Doom '99 - PC
Hero of Sparta - PSP
Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition - PS3
Fez - PC
Resogun - PS4
Shelter - PC
To The Moon - PC
Tearaway - Vita *new*
After Burner: Climax - PS3 *new*

TOTAL: 85

Games Beaten: 2012 2011 2010

Some stats
Total Games: 85

System:
Recent Gen: 54 (15 on PC, 14 on PS3, 12 on Vita, 5 on 360, 5 on iOS, 3 on PS4)
Retro: 31 (6 straight arcade ports, 6 on PSP, 5 on PS1, 4 older PC games, 4 on Wii, 2 on Odyssey2, 2 on VCS, 1 on Genesis, 1 on GBC)

Genre:
First Person Shooter - 16
Fighting -14
Beat 'Em Up/ Hack n' Slash/ Run n' Gun - 12
Platformer - 8
RPG - 5
Sports/Racing - 5
Shmup - 4
Third Person Shooter - 2
Other - 19

Best game I've finished that was released this year: The Last of Us
Best retro game I finished for the first time: The Last Blade

Every year at the end of this post I've taken a snapshot of my "defeated foes". This year a very small percentage were played on disc or cartridge (28 titles), so the pile is small...and I am gonna skip the "group shot" :? .

Total since I started keeping track (2010): 355
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:41 pm

Fragems wrote:NOTE OF CAUTION:
This is definitely not a game to play with the family there is a lot of sexual content and while there is no full on nudity there are plenty of nude scenes that are cleverly edited and you will receive multiple sexts during the course of the game :P.

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to pick this up.

Nice job all.

So who's gonna start the Games Beaten 2014 thread tomorrow? 8)
AppleQueso

by AppleQueso Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:43 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Fragems wrote:NOTE OF CAUTION:

Thanks for the info. I'll make sure to pick this up.

Nice job all.

So who's gonna start the Games Beaten 2014 thread tomorrow? 8)

You haven't picked up Catherine?

I figured you would've nabbed that one a long time ago.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:55 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So who's gonna start the Games Beaten 2014 thread tomorrow? 8)

I am about 85% through both Mirror's Edge (PS3) and Hotline Miami (PS3) right now. I doubt I will complete either tonight, however, but I may be able to get through both on Wednesday...

(I am also about half way thorugh Boulder Dash XL 3D (3DS)...but based on how quickly that game has ramped up the difficulty, I do not expect to beat it - much less complete it - anytime soon.)
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 31, 2013 12:58 pm

dsheinem wrote:Best game I've finished that was released this year: The Last of Us
Best retro game I finished for the first time: The Last Blade

Seems like a year of Lasts! Suggestions to continue the theme:
Last Alert (TGCD) - Awesome top-down run and gun, with the best voice acting ever. (The last part of this sentence is sarcasm.)
Metro: Last Light (PC) - FPS, you may have already played this one?
Tomb Raider: The Last Revelation (PC, DC, PS1) - This was the last good Tomb Raider game from Core Design!
Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (NES) - I remember liking this as a kid, doesn't look great to me in videos and the music isn't very good.
Outlast (PC) - I don't do scary games, you should let us know if it's any good.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Can't forget about The Last Bounty Hunter on 3DO.

It was developed by American Laser Games so you know it's a quality product.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:26 pm

Light gun game, right? I always liked the Mad Dog McCree games, but never got to this one!

Oh, also I forgot one in my favorite genre, The Last Express! Great adventure game.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:50 pm

Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen

I've previously shown my adoration for DD in the cult classics thread and I have to say that a second play through has not diminished my feeling on the game. Technically it can be a bit weak; the graphics aren't as good as many of its contemporaries and there is a lot of screen tearing, but DD is just one of those games that you forgive because it is greater than the sum of its parts.

Also it contains the most unintentionally hilarious glitch of this gen, which also brilliantly subverts the love interest trope in many games. http://www.cracked.com/article_20603_6- ... lieve.html

Brothers: A tale of two sons

This is such a beautiful and touching game. There's that old writing maxim: show, don't tell. This game is play, don't cutscene. Every important action, even those that are cruel or distressing is done by the player and through this interaction the personalities of the characters come through.

To speak of certain instances would ruin it for those who haven't played it. Needless to say, it is one of the games of the year and manages in its short playtime to tell a grander and more touching story than any game I've played this year.

Gone Home

Not sure about this one. On the one hand, yes it is nice to see a story being told in this medium that is more grounded in reality. On the other, I don't think there is much of a story really, or at least not one with any real dramatic consequences. It's all a bit teenaged. Dear Esther did this sort of thing better I think.

I also find that even though it's a period piece, terrrible grunge/garage music and all, it seems like a game born out of this years hot topic, gender issues, which is pretty cool, intentional or not.

My main problem with the game though is that Sam's family don't seem like the sort of people who would have much of a problem with her revelation; they are comfortably middle-class, they are educated and in typically liberal leaning professions. She is also old enough to make up her own mind. And since all this is conveyed to you through the bare bones game play I found the climax to be forced, underwhelming and melodramatic.
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Tue Dec 31, 2013 1:55 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:So who's gonna start the Games Beaten 2014 thread tomorrow? 8)

Hmmm, I should try and plan to beat a game at 12:01a so I can start the thread.
Return to General Gaming