Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2012

by noiseredux Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:01 pm

correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the GBA versions based on the PS1 versions which were based on the WonderSwan versions?
Ack

by Ack Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:13 pm

noiseredux wrote:correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the GBA versions based on the PS1 versions which were based on the WonderSwan versions?

Eh? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about as far as a WonderSwan version. But I do know that the additional content available in the GBA version wasn't in the PS1 version.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:16 pm

Ack wrote:
noiseredux wrote:correct me if I'm wrong but weren't the GBA versions based on the PS1 versions which were based on the WonderSwan versions?

Eh? I'm not sure I know what you're talking about as far as a WonderSwan version. But I do know that the additional content available in the GBA version wasn't in the PS1 version.

from Wiki:

In Japan, Final Fantasy and Final Fantasy II were re-released both separately and as a combined game for the PlayStation. The collection was released in Japan in 2002 as Final Fantasy I & II Premium Package and in Europe and North America in 2003 as Final Fantasy Origins. This version was similar to the WonderSwan Color remake[19] and featured several changes such as more detailed graphics, a remixed soundtrack, added full motion video sequences, art galleries of Yoshitaka Amano's illustrations and a memo save function.[20] On December 18, 2012 the port will be re-released as part of the Final Fantasy 25th Anniversary Ultimate Box release.[21]

I'm not sure if I had read this as fact, or if I just assumed it in my head -- I had just thought that the PS1 games were ported from WSC and that those same games were eventually ported to GBA. I guess I concluded that this is why FF3 never made it to the US since there had been no WSC port of III to translate.

I thought WSC versions were remakes of the NES games. PS1 versions were WSC versions with added shit. GBA versions were then PS1 versions with added shit. (?)
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:28 pm

noise, Ack is talking about Final Fantasy VI. Um, I don't think the WSC Final Fantasy's (...Fantasies?) have anything to do with it.

But yeah, I believe Final Fantasy Origins is based off of the WSC upgraded ports.

The PlayStation versions of the game were most similar to the WonderSwan Color remakes that were produced separately in 2000 and 2001, respectively. Other than minor changes to take advantage of Sony's superior hardware, such as a higher screen resolution which meant that the graphics in the PlayStation version were slightly more detailed, and the remixed soundtracks, the PlayStation versions were basically identical to the earlier WonderSwan versions.

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_Origins
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:31 pm

Opa Opa wrote:noise, Ack is talking about Final Fantasy VI. Um, I don't think the WSC Final Fantasy's (...Fantasies?) have anything to do with it.

was VI not released on WSC? Again, I'm blurry if I made this up in my head... I just had thought I, II, IV, V, VI were on WSC which is why those same ones ended up re-released on PS1 and GBA.
Opa Opa

by Opa Opa Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:42 pm

noiseredux wrote:was VI not released on WSC? Again, I'm blurry if I made this up in my head... I just had thought I, II, IV, V, VI were on WSC which is why those same ones ended up re-released on PS1 and GBA.

Print this off, memorize it, pop quiz next week.

There are other ports (like MSX) but I covered the main ones. (I don't think I made any mistakes... if I did... oh well.)

I/II:
NES-> WSC -> PS1 -> GBA

III:
Famicom -> DS/PSP/iOS/Android

IV:
SNES -> PS1 -> WSC -> GBA -> etc

V:
SNES -> PS1 -> GBA

VI:
SFC/SNES -> PS1 -> GBA
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:48 pm

ah well there's my screw-up. I didn't realize V and VI weren't released on WSC.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:16 pm

I finished off with a Christmas gift (Tekken Tag 2) and a game I picked up earlier this year which I last owned about 20-25 years ago (Marvel Land). Both are stellar efforts from Namco. The former might be the best Tekken to date (which is saying something) and the latter is, in my opinion, the best "hidden gem" platformer of the 16-bit era.

Games Beaten 2012:

Golden Axe Warrior - SMS
Current - iOS
Golden Axe: The Duel - Saturn
Golden Axe - Genesis
Capcom Fighting Evolution - PS2
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Ketsui: Death Label - NDS
DoDonPachi: Blissful Death - iOS
Shock Troopers: 2nd Squad - Arcade (MAME)
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary -360
The Simpsons Arcade Game - PS3
Soul Edge - PS1
HamsterBall - PS3
BlazBlu: Continuum Shift Extend - Vita
Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3- Vita
Uncharted: Golden Abyss - Vita
Ys 1 - PSP
Journey - PS3
X-Men vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter - Arcade (MAME)
Street Fighter X Tekken - PS3
Mass Effect 3 - 360
Mass Effect 3: From Ashes - 360
Mystic Warriors - Wrath of the Ninja - Arcade (MAME)
Dragon Blaze - Arcade (MAME)
Shadows of the Damned - 360
Arabian Nights (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Driver: San Francisco 360
Skull Girls - PS3
Wolfenstien 3D - iOS
Skull and Crossbones - Arcade (MAME)
Diablo III - PC
Resistance: Burning Skies - Vita
Virtua Fighter 5: Final Showdown -PS3
Final Fantasy IV - PSP
Capcom vs SNK 2 EO - Gamecube
Bride of Pin*Bot (from Pinball Arcade) - Vita
Pac-Man Championship Edition DX - PS3
Super Stardust Delta - Vita
DoDonPachi Resurrection - 360
Bit.Trip Beat - PC
Dear Esther - PC
Wizorb - PC
Sound Shapes - Vita
Infinity Blade - iOS
Infinity Blade II - iOS
Super Star Shooter - X68000
Mortal Kombat (2012) - Vita
Super Mario 3D Land - 3DS
Centipede: Infestation - 3DS
Commando - 7800
Shadow Gun - iOS
Borderlands 2 - PC
Unfinished Swan - PS3
Borderlands 2: Captain Scarlett and Her Captain's Booty - PC
House of the Dead 4 - PS3
Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) - Arcade (MAME)
D - PS1
Vampire Hunter (Darkstalkers 2) - PSP
He-Man: The Most Powerful Game in the Universe - iOS
Halo 4 - 360
Little Big Planet - Vita
Super Crate Box - Vita
Street Fighter X Tekken - iOS
007: Goldeneye Reloaded - PS3
007: Blood Stone 360
Angry Birds: Star Wars - iOS
After Burner Climax - PS3
Sonic 4: Episode 1 - PS3
Borderlands 2: Mr. Torgue's Campaign of Carnage - PC
Street Fighter Alpha: Warrior's Dreams - PS1
Killer Instinct - SNES
Sonic 4: Episode 2 - PS3
Hotline Miami - PC
NightSky - PC
Super Burnout - - Atari Jaguar
Dead or Alive 3 - Xbox
Mario vs. Donkey Kong - GBA
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - PS3
Marvel Land - Genesis

TOTAL: 80

2011 Games Beaten
2010 Games Beaten

What a fun year of gaming! I dropped 10 more titles from my total compared to last year (which was 10 less than the year before) but I feel I've been playing longer games (a huge uptick in RPGs, for example) and spending more time with what I play.

Here's some stats and thoughts:

Total Systems: 21 (6 modern systems/PC, 15 retro systems/arcade)
Games on current generation systems: 53
Games on retro systems/MAME: 27

Physical releases: 34
Digital releases/emulation: 46 (includes 3 DLC campaigns)

PS3: 14
Vita: 11
PC: 9
iOS: 9
360:8
3DS: 2

------

MAME/Arcade: 7
PSP: 4
PS1: 3
Genesis: 2
NDS: 1
PS2: 1
Gamecube: 1
Xbox: 1
Atari 7800: 1
X68000: 1
GBA: 1
SAT 1
SMS: 1
SNES: 1
Jaguar: 1

-----------------

Breakdown by Genre:
Fighting - 19
RPG - 11
Platformer - 9
Shmup - 6
First Person Shooter - 6
Beat em'Up/Hack n' Slash - 5
Third Person Shooter -5
Racing - 2
Run N' Gun - 3
Other - 14

Top 5 new-to-me in 2012 Modern Games Beaten (in no order): Borderlands 2, Journey, Diablo III, Super Mario 3D Land, DoDonPachi Resurrection

Top 5 new-to-me in 2012 Retro Games Beaten (in no order): Ketsui Death Label, Ys I, Golden Axe Warrior, Mystic Warriors: Wrath of the Ninja, Mario vs. Donkey Kong

Finally, here's a picture of my slain foes (at least those with a physical form, which this year was less than half :shock: ):

Ack

by Ack Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:30 pm

Well, as I highly doubt I will be beating anything else in the next 9 hours, I figure I will go ahead and list out my stats for the year!

TOTAL GAMES BEATEN: 23

14 less than last year, though I'm not too upset, as I had less spare time due to my job. And...well, between having a job or beating 14 more games, I think I made the right choice. Anyway, let's do a breakdown:

Total Platforms: 6

Breakdown By Platform:

PC: 11
SNES: 6
PS3: 3
PS2: 1
N64: 1
GBA: 1

Well, this year was obviously dominated by PC gaming for me. I'm not surprised by this though, as I sat down at the start of the year and setup a GOG account and spent a good deal of time on Steam during the summer sale period. In fact, of the 11 PC games, here's the breakdown of those:

GOG: 4
Steam: 6
Other: 1

Breakdown by Genre:

FPS: 7
RPG:6
Platformer: 2
Adventure: 2
SHMUP: 1
Fighting: 1
Puzzle: 1
Beat 'Em Up: 1
Multiple: 1
Non-game: 1

So as usual, I played a lot of FPS. It's one of my favorite genres, and I tend to play a variety of types. Of all the ones I played this year, there really isn't one that stands out to me as the best (or the worst), though I had the most fun playing L4D2 with several friends (including Ds, who jumped in a few games with me and Fastbilly). The most interesting FPS I played was likely The Ball, since it combines puzzle gaming with FPS mechanics. I really hope this genre gets expanded upon soon.

As a minor note to this, the Non-game I have listed is Dear Esther, which plays from a first person perspective but is debatable as to whether it is a game and is most definitely not an FPS. It's more like a point-and-click adventure, only without the pointing and clicking...or the adventure for that matter. Hence why I set it aside.

I returned to RPGs in a big way for me after spending years hardly touching the genre. 6 is a lot for me, so don't knock it. Of those six, 4 were JRPGs while the other 2 were most western-styled. Dungeons of Dredmor is a Roguelike, while Torchlight is a dungeon crawler similar to Diablo. I want to go back to these sometime, though beyond finishing up in FF6 Advance, I have no desire to return to the JRPGs I beat any time soon.

The rest of these aren't really much in the way of a trend. I just sat down and played through games I wanted to try and eventually beat. Sure, not spectacular, but I still had a lot of fun.

Hmm...on an interesting note:

Hard Copy: 13
Digital Distribution: 10

Nearly half of the games I beat I picked up through digital distribution. All were PC games, so I only own a hard copy of 1 PC game I beat this year, The Ball. And that one game links to my Steam account, so I still have to have access to it to play the game. I'm not sure why, but something about that trend disturbs me.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Dec 31, 2012 4:45 pm

Ack wrote:
Nearly half of the games I beat I picked up through digital distribution. All were PC games, so I only own a hard copy of 1 PC game I beat this year, The Ball. And that one game links to my Steam account, so I still have to have access to it to play the game. I'm not sure why, but something about that trend disturbs me.

I know what you mean. Of the games I beat, 46 were things I have no hard copy of. Of those, 9 were iOS games which have no physical media anyway. Of the remaining 37 console/PC/handheld digital games, almost half of them cannot be purchased in a physical format at all, for any platform. I don't think I'll ever lack some way to play them in the future, but it is weird to think that I can never own them in physical form in any way.
Return to General Gaming