Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten : 2011

by noiseredux Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:42 pm

Gamerforlife wrote:I'm not entirely sure if you'll enjoy Sonic 4 after playing Sonic Generations. It's going to feel like a step backwards. You really should have played Sonic 4 first lol.

At the same time, I'm almost more interested to play the "bad" Sonic games now to kind of see just how badly Sonic Team dropped the ball, y'know? Knowing how well they did later. But also I think I'm interested to see the little bits they got right that would evolve into Generations.

Flower is cheap to buy if I recall and you can finish it in probably two or three hours I think. It's not a long or complex game, but it is relaxing and beautiful and the final stage I think would put a smile on the face of all but the most jaded gamer.

I think Flower is about $10 if I recall. There's also a bundle that comes with a soundtrack. It's definitely been a game I've been interested in since jeez... years before I owned a PS3.

I think you said you liked Indigo Prophecy so I think Heavy Rain would be right up your alley.

This was another game I was really interested in before owning a PS3. In fact, the only reason I discovered Indigo Prophecy was because I was bummed I couldn't play Heavy Rain, so instead opted to play the game that they had made before it.

Alice is a bit of a long game, I don't know how you'll feel about it, but I liked it. Its formula is similar to the first Alice game, just a bit more polished and evolved. Some argue it doesn't make use of the Alice in Wonderland material as well, but given that it's the second time around that they're doing it, that's not surprising. The game is a bit too long I think, but I still liked it

I love the look of Alice 2, but I haven't played Alice 1 yet, so I'm hoping to find a still sealed copy of 2 that has the PSN voucher for 1.

I love Portal 2, but I don't know if it's your type of game. It really has that PC game feel since that's what Valve specializes in, but it's well designed with some great puzzles. If nothing else, you might love it for the hilarious dialog

I kind of feel like I should play the first Portal first. So I'm holding out for the Orange Box.

I would say to try Beyond Good and Evil...

What kind of game is it anyway? I don't even know what it's like even. I just know I don't think the artwork looks very appealing. I don't like the one the heroine (Jade?) looks, and I really don't like the way that pig-dude looks. Of course that doesn't mean I'd be opposed to trying it someday.
ninjainspandex
Next-Gen

by ninjainspandex Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:24 pm

just beat the main story of saints row the third and im only like 64% done O.o this is an amazing game definitly worth the full $60 price tag soo much to do, will i enjoy saints row 1 and 2 after this, i passed over them thinking they were just shameless mediocre gta clones. Last night i finished alan wake, played it in the dark with headphones on, this game gave me goosebumps i cant believe i missed it when it came out now i cant decide what my favorite survival horror game is now this or dead space. Alan wake has some of the best voice acting ive ever heard in a game and after hearing Poets of the fall in the game i realized it was made by the same people who made max payne.
Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

by Gamerforlife Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:08 pm

noiseredux wrote:
I think Flower is about $10 if I recall. There's also a bundle that comes with a soundtrack. It's definitely been a game I've been interested in since jeez... years before I owned a PS3.

Flower is a pretty easy game to fit into anybody's gaming schedule. It's short and easy. You should definitely try it sometime. It won't challenge you, but it's a pretty memorable experience that will probably stay in your memory. The final stage alone makes the game worth it. It does require using six axis controls. So that might be an issue for some people, but again, it's an easy game

noiseredux wrote:Alice is a bit of a long game, I don't know how you'll feel about it, but I liked it. Its formula is similar to the first Alice game, just a bit more polished and evolved. Some argue it doesn't make use of the Alice in Wonderland material as well, but given that it's the second time around that they're doing it, that's not surprising. The game is a bit too long I think, but I still liked it

Fair warning, the original will feel very dated

noiseredux wrote:What kind of game is it anyway? I don't even know what it's like even. I just know I don't think the artwork looks very appealing. I don't like the one the heroine (Jade?) looks, and I really don't like the way that pig-dude looks. Of course that doesn't mean I'd be opposed to trying it someday.

Well, let me break Byond Good and Evil down to its fundamental gameplay mechanics. The overall structure of the game is sort of like Zelda in that you have a world to explore with dungeon-like areas and one city with NPCs in it. It's not quite as large as an actual Zelda game though. It's also not as heavily puzzle focused as a Zelda game, though there are a few simple puzzles you will solve as you go through the game.

The game kind of mixes genres. There's some light melee combat that feels kind of Zelda-ish. One of the fun things about the game is how NPCs tag along and help you with puzzles, bosses and combat. There's some stealth sequences where you can sneak by enemies or try to take them out without them seeing you. Though trying to kill them can be tricky and risky if you don't know what you're doing as these parts of the game are mainly designed around you sneaking by. There are water races you'll do in this boat-like vehicle. You'll also do some sequences where you're chasing someone in that boat and dodging obstacles. There are two sequences in the game where you'll be running away from enemies on foot in a chase sequence, kind of like those parts of the Crash Bandicoot games where you're running towards the screen, but designed better. There are a few bits where you fight a boss in an aerial craft. There is also some very light platforming, but it's just rolling over obstacles or ducking under them. You don't really have to worry about jumping over pits as your character does it automatically like a Zelda game.

There are items to collect, but this is one of those few games where it's actually FUN to collect stuff and the game helps you find the items that you need. The most fun part of the collecting is the picture taking, where you will have to find every kind of wildlife in the game and snap pictures of them. This is one of the cool things about the game, as you will see a lot of interesting creatures populating the environment. I don't know many games that put such a big emphasis on wildlife. I mean there are bugs to collect in some Zelda games I've played, but it's nothing compared to snapping pictures of wales jumping out of the ocean, huge mantises flying through the air or creepy creatures hiding in dark places

As for the art style, I guess it's subjective. Most people love it. I guess you could say it's more of a French art style, given that the developers and lead designer were French. The soundtrack is good too as it has an ecclectic mix of styles so you never know exactly what you're going to hear. The plot isn't very complex, but it deals with issues of alien abduction, propaganda and government conspiracy. One of the game's strengths is how the characters interact with eachother. They have a lot of heart and it comes through in the story

There are a few issues with the HD versions that I'm not entirely sure were in the original versions of the game, but I can't say for sure. The camera gets bad in some parts. There are bugs and glitches that you may or may not encounter. Also, there are a few parts of the game where you will have to use a sniper-like weapon and the aim sometimes seems a bit slow to respond and other times just seems over sensitive.

Wow, I think I just did a mini-review there.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Dec 29, 2011 6:20 pm

well you certainly make it sound like something I should try! I like the alien abduction plot thing too. Sounds cool. But you are right, I don't think I'm a fan of the the French visual style in games generally. For instance, while I think Rayman is impressive, I don't actually care for the look of the characters. Though maybe it's not a French thing so much as this designer (didn't he do both BG&E and Rayman?).
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Thu Dec 29, 2011 7:27 pm

noiseredux wrote:well you certainly make it sound like something I should try! I like the alien abduction plot thing too. Sounds cool. But you are right, I don't think I'm a fan of the the French visual style in games generally. For instance, while I think Rayman is impressive, I don't actually care for the look of the characters. Though maybe it's not a French thing so much as this designer (didn't he do both BG&E and Rayman?).

Yes, Michael Ancel.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:56 am

All games completed in 2011
Plants Vs Zombies - PC
Halo 3: ODST - 360
Enslaved: Odyssey To The West - 360
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - NDS
Unreal Tournament 3 - 360
Dead Space - 360
Harms Way - XBLA
Starfox Assault - GC
Cut the Rope: Holiday Gift - IOS
The House of the Dead: Overkill - Wii
Fallout 3 - 360
Peggle Extreme - PC
Half-Life 2: Lost Coast - PC
Marvel Vs Capcom 3 - 360
Portal - PC
The Great Gatsby - Browser
Kirby Super Star Ultra - NDS
Bulletstorm - PC
Half Life: Source - PC
Probotector - NES
Fable III - 360
Perfect Dark - N64
Crysis 2 - 360
Final Fantasy XIII - 360
Portal 2 - 360
Half Life 2 - 360
Machinarium - PC
King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGDInteractive Remake) - PC
Half Life 2: Episode 1 - 360
Tony Hawk's Project 8 - 360
King's Quest II: Romancing The Stones (AGDInteractive Remake) - PC
Singularity - PC
Samorost - Browser
Samorost 2 - PC
Mortal Kombat (9) - 360
Gemini Rue - PC
Grand Theft Auto: Vice City - PC
Duke Nukem Forever - 360
Beneath a Steel Sky - PC
Metal Slug 5 - PS2
Prey - PC
Vanquish - 360
Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness - Episode 1 - PC
Child of Eden - 360
Metal Slug XX - PSP
Kane & Lynch: Dead Men - 360
Who's That Flying?! - PS Mini (PSP)
Half Life 2: Episode 2 - 360
Homefront - PC
Half Life: Blue Shift
The Stanley Parable - PC
Age of Zombies - PSMini (PSP)
Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Justice For All - NDS
Star Wars Trilogy Arcade - Arcade
The Binding of Isaac - PC
Dead Island - PC
Dead Space 2 - 360
EcoQuest: The Search for Cetus
Magicka - PC
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim - PC
NightSky - PC

Total Completed: 63

Trying to finish a few of the games I have started before the new year.

Bastion - PC
I thought this game was brilliant, a breath of fresh air from what is starting to feel like generic game after generic game. Great little action/adventure with the best use of narration if I have ever seen in a game.

Battlefield 3 - PC
The story was pretty average by all accounts, it looked amazing, even on my GTX285. I thought the story telling and structure was very similar to Call of Duty: Black Ops.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:57 pm

2011 TOTAL: 90

The List:
Metal Torrent- DSiWare
Kirby Super Star Ultra - NDS
DoDonPachi - PS1
Cruis'n USA - N64
Cruis'n World - N64
DonPachi - PS1
Cut the Rope - iPhone
Cut the Rope: Holiday Gift - iPhone
Mass Effect - 360
Galaga Remix - Wii
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom - Wii
Mushihimesama Futari 1.5 - 360
DoDonPachi Dai Ou Jou - PS2
DoDonPachi Resurrection - iPhone
Triggerheart Exelcia - Dreamcast
Heavy Barrel - Wii/Arcade
Tetris (Rev A and Rev B) - Game Boy
Street Fighter IV - iPhone
Killzone - PS2
Dead Space 2 - PS3
Marvel vs Capcom 3- PS3
Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess - PSP
Killzone 3- PS3
Lost Planet 2 - PS3
Star Wars: Dark Forces - PC
Nemesis - Game Boy
Space Invaders Extreme 2 -NDS
Kirby's Dream Land - Game Boy
Mass Effect 2 - 360
Mass Effect 2: Shadow Broker - 360
Mass Effect 2: Kasumi - Stolen Memory - 360
Kirby's Dream Land 2- Game Boy
Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire- PCE-CD
Soul Calibur - Dreamcast
Dragon Age II - PS3
Espgaluda II - iPhone
Portal 2 -PC
Metroid: Zero Mission - GBA
Vanquish - PS3
Terraforming -PCE-CD
Dark Nebula 2 - iPhone
Gunblade NY - Wii
LA Machine Guns - Wii
F.E.A.R. 2 - PS3
F.E.A.R. 2: Reborn PS3
Chrono Trigger - SNES
Guardian Heroes - SAT
F.E.A.R. 3 - PS3
Prehistoric Isle in 1930 - PSP
Gears of War 2 - 360
Adventure - Atari 2600
Gunhed - PCE
Limbo - 360
Crimzon Clover - PC
Army of Darkness Defense- iPhone
Psycho Soldier - PSP
Shank - PS3
Jamestown - PC
MUSHA - Genesis
Dragon Age II: Legacy - PS3
Kingdom Grand Prix - Arcade (MAME)
Blade Buster - NES
Alien vs. Predator - Arcade (MAME)
Metamorphic Force - Arcade (MAME)
Jetpack Joyride- iPhone
Medal of Honor - PS3
Dimahoo - Arcade (MAME)
Michael Jackson's Moonwalker - Arcade (MAME)
Gears of War 3 - 360
Dementium: The Ward - NDS
Brutal Sports Football - - Atari Jaguar
Splatterhouse - PCE
Resistance 3 - PS3
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception - PS3
Battlefield 3 - PS3
Espgaluda II: Black Label (BL mode) - 360
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - PS3
Knights of the Round - Arcade (MAME)
Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis
Shining Force - Genesis
Muchi Muchi Pork - 360
Dragon Age II: Mark of the Assassin - PS3
Shienryu Explosion - PS2
Little Big Planet 2 - PS3
Pink Sweets - 360
Sonic Generations - PC
Homefront - PS3
Groove Coaster - iPad
No More Heroes - Wii
Double Dragon - SMS *new*

2010 Games Beaten

I sat around thinking about what I wanted my last game of 2011 to be, and figured I should go with something for a console I hadn't yet beat a game for this year. Despite my memories of the horrible NES port of Double Dragon, I decided to give it a go for the SMS. WOW, Double Dragon is SO much better on the SMS that it is unbelievable. It is prettier, controls crisper, and seems more faithful to the arcade. The sound isn't as good, but otherwise it is THE best port I've come across.

------------------------------------------
Statistical Breakdown and other Nonsense:

Total Systems: 23 (7 modern systems, 16 retro systems/arcade)
Current Gen Games: 51
Retro Games: 39

PS3: 19
360:11
iOS:9
DS: 4
Modern PC: 4
Wii: 3
PSP: 1
------

MAME/Arcade (including straight console ports): 12
PS1: 1
PS2: 3
Genesis: 3
DC: 2
Atari 2600: 1
GBA: 1
NES: 1
PCE/PCE-CD: 4
Sat: 1
SMS: 1
SNES: 1
GB/GBC: 4
Jaguar: 1
N64: 2
Retro PC: 1

-----------------

Genre:
Shmup - 25
First Person Shooter - 12
RPG - 10
Beat em'Up/Hack n' Slash - 9
Platformer - 9
Third Person Shooter -6
Puzzle/Rhythm - 6
Fighting - 4
Sports/Racing - 3
Rail Shooters/Light Gun Games - 3
Run N' Gun -2
Strategy - 1

Top 5 new-to-me in 2011 Modern Games Beaten (in no order): Resistance 3, Crimzon Clover, Portal 2, Mass Effect 1 and 2

Top 5 new-to-me in 2011 Retro Games Beaten (in no order): Chrono Trigger, Shining Force, Gunhed, Guardian Heroes, Metroid: Zero Mission

Finally, once again I'll give you a picture of my defeated foes (those with physical "bodies" anyway):

Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:20 pm

dsheinem wrote:Games beaten list

So ... what's the oldest game beaten? Adventure? Newest? What a fun collection of games you beat!
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:24 pm

Stark wrote:
dsheinem wrote:Games beaten list

So ... what's the oldest game beaten? Adventure? Newest? What a fun collection of games you beat!

Adventure would indeed be the oldest. The newest is probably Modern Warfare 3, which is newer than Uncharted 3 and Sonic Generations by a week.

I do try to keep things diversified, so thanks :)
emwearz
Next-Gen

by emwearz Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 pm

Homefront gets knocked for having a short campaign and being overall mediocre, but I thought the campaign was no shorter than what is typical of most FPSs these days and didn't hate the gameplay. Futhermore, I thought the game looked great and had a memorable and sometimes interesting story behind it (even if the storytelling and level design wasn't great). It isn't near as bad as it has been made out to be across the web, and I found it to be an enjoyable romp.

I think when a large amount of people buy FPS, they do it for the online component, which from what I understand Homefront is fairly weak at. The story though I found more entertaining than 'THE RUSSIANS!!!!' crap we have been getting non stop for like 5 years.
Return to General Gaming