Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by marurun Sat Jan 19, 2019 3:23 pm

Guys, I totally beat Lineage 2 Classic. All of it. I did a 1cc 100% run with all the classes. I chose to play the relatively obscure Nokia N-gage version, and it was great. Afterwards I called some friends to humblebrag and engaged in some serious side-talking.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:47 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:1. Super Adventure Island II (SNES) - 7
2. Dragon View (SNES) - 7.5
3. Spider-Man vs. The Kingpin (MCD) - 7
4. Dr. Franken (GB) - 6
5. G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor (NES) - 7
6. TMNT III: Radical Rescue (GB) - 7.5
7. Adventure Island IV (NES) - 7.5

Last one in the NES series and kind of a big departure from the previous ones, being a full fledged platform adventure with a hub area, large item inventory and teleporters. Guess it didn't do well considering the huge gap until the next one but it's a pretty strong last entry in what I thought was kind of a stale series on the NES.

adventure island 4 is on my new years resolution list of games to play. I grew up with 1, loved part 2, and thought the 3rd one was terrible, I didn't even know there was a 4th one until very recently.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:53 pm

I ran the series last year. It’s pretty good. Not mind blowing or anything. The ones I really recommend are the Gameboy versions. I thought they were much more fun than their NES counterparts.
Flake

by Flake Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:02 am

January
Megaman (Switch)
Megaman 2 (Switch)
Megaman 3 (Switch)
Megaman 4 (Switch)
Megaman 5 (Switch)
Megaman 6 (Switch)
Megaman 7 (Switch)
Megaman 8 (Switch)
Megaman 9 (Switch)
Megaman 10 (Switch)
Kirby's Dreamland (Wii)

Megaman 10 is a really nice game. It doesn't quite accomplish what Megaman 9 did - the music isn't quite as good and the levels don't incorporate special weapon use as competently. It's a serviceable as all hell game, though. Megaman 10 also killed the stupid fan theory that Megaman X was meant to be the 10th Megaman game. I still need to go back and work on some of the challenges and special content but I'm very happy with my play through of the Legacy Collections on the Switch.

In many ways, playing the Megaman Legacy Collections on Switch has helped me to let go of my frustration with the original Megaman Anniversary Collection on Gamecube. I remember walking quite a few miles from the Navy station I was assigned to after boot camp to get it. I opted for the Gamecube version because, well, Nintendo! I got back to the barracks, popped it into my Gamecube....

Those stupid, stupid reversed buttons. I ended up getting it for PS2. But with the Legacy Collections, I finally got to have my Megaman on Nintendo experience. Even better, Megaman 1-6 were perfectly mapped on the Nintendo Switch Online NES controller, making it super authentic, hand cramps and all.

Kirby's Dreamland! I recently came upon a decent and affordable copy of the Kirby collection for Wii. One of my big goals for January is to beat more games than ElkinFencer. So this quick playthrough of an old classic with adorable sound, charming characters, and surprisingly tight gameplay is really just me hedging my bet.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Mon Jan 21, 2019 12:16 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I ran the series last year. It’s pretty good. Not mind blowing or anything. The ones I really recommend are the Gameboy versions. I thought they were much more fun than their NES counterparts.

I never played the game boy ones before so I will have to check them out.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Jan 21, 2019 6:45 pm

pook99 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:I ran the series last year. It’s pretty good. Not mind blowing or anything. The ones I really recommend are the Gameboy versions. I thought they were much more fun than their NES counterparts.

I never played the game boy ones before so I will have to check them out.

They’re solid. They don’t drag on as much as their NES counterparts; they controls are a little tighter; and passwords make them a bit more forgiving. Graphics and sound aren’t as good, obviously, but they’re fine for the Gameboy.
nullPointer
128-bit

by nullPointer Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:51 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:4. Hello Kitty World (Famicom)
ImageImage
Ever play Balloon Kid on Game Boy? Then you've (almost) played Hello Kitty World.

Dude! This game is a total blast from the past for me; just not the fully distant past. When I was trying to get my kids (twin girls) into older games, this was one of the titles that got some regular play. None of us ever beat it though. Well done!

Time to write-up my first game beaten for the year! I'll have a couple more posts coming in the next few days. It's only the beginning of the year, and I'm already behind on my games beaten posts! Tsk, tsk null.

1. Super Mario World [SNES]
Image Image

I try to kick off each year with a bona-fide classic. For me this serves as a means of 'level-setting the playing field' in terms of any other games I play during the year, and as a reminder of what truly great games are capable of. It's a tradition that grew out of an older one in which I'd play Legend of Zelda (NES) in its entirety every New Year's Day. Last year got its start with Super Mario Bros. 3, so this year it only made sense to play Super Mario World.

Image Image

For many a retro gamer, picking their favorite 2D Mario game often comes down to a choice between SMB3 and this one. Clearly they are both giants of platforming, but I fall into the latter camp, largely due to the technological improvements made possible with the SNES. SMB3 was a staggering achievement in terms of pushing the NES, but its layout still utilized a traditional level-based structure. Super Mario World feels like a fully realized and cohesive world. The fact that each individual level is laid out on one giant world map certainly helps in this regard. But the cohesiveness of this game doesn't stop there. Every element in the game feels like it belongs to that world, from the astoundingly good music, to the ever-so-slightly washed out color scheme, to the cutesy-but-not-cloying enemy designs. Every element is meticulously designed as part of the experience, and nothing feels out of place.

Image Image

Super Mario World is also where we were introduced to a certain dino-pal by the name of Yoshi. I'll be honest here, I almost never make use of Yoshi to any great extent, save for a couple of levels that are more or less designed around his usage. As a result, I always have to re-familiarize myself with Yoshi's mechanics, whereas Mario's moveset comes as almost second nature. If I were to pick on any one particular element of Super Mario World, though, it's that I sometimes wish the controls were as tight as they were in SMB3. Super Mario World has a certain 'airy', 'drifty' feeling to the controls which was a big departure from the pixel-precise platforming we were used to in NES Mario titles. It's not that this is particularly detrimental to Super Mario World though. As I mentioned, it's rather meticulously designed around these controls just as they are, so to change that would likely be to upset the carefully crafted balance of the game. All the same though, it sure is interesting to think about how a more precise control scheme would play out here.

Image Image

Still and all, this is purely conjecture. Super Mario World is a masterwork that would serve as a corner stone in what is arguably the strongest first-year lineup of games for any console. From the outset, this game provided a clear mission statement of what was possible on the fledgling SNES, and of course built upon the impeccable legacy of Nintendo's flagship character. It's the combination of all of these elements that make Super Mario World an important landmark in gaming and one of the greatest platformers of all time.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:22 am

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)

5. Detention (PS4)

I had a friend over to hang out over the weekend, and she quite likes horror stuff, so I thought why not give this game a go (she prefers co-piloting to actually playing games herself). I don't really recall where I heard about this one, but I do vaguely recall picking it up on sale over Halloween on PSN after reading good things about it. At any rate, I was certainly glad I had a friend to cower behind going through it, as this game gets proper unnerving pretty damn quick XD . It took us about four hours to complete it with only marginal amounts of getting lost, although we did get the good ending.

Detention is a Taiwan-developed game in the style of Lone Survivor, that is, it's a Silent Hill-like game that takes place in a side-scrolling 2D-environment. However, unlike Lone Survivor, this game has no combat and far fewer enemies in general, instead opting for a heavier emphasis on the story and atmosphere aspects, with enemy encounters being restricted to sneaking past them. Granted, the game takes place in 1960's Taiwan, a restrictive place under martial law, and tells the story of a girl named Ray who wakes up to suddenly find herself trapped at her high school during a hurricane after falling asleep in class.

The ghosts you're avoiding are all actually from Chinese folklore, and the notes you find scattered around tell you how to deal with them in ways that align with actual superstition. This largely revolves around holding R2 to hold your breath as you quietly walk past them, but without much UI for enemy line of sight or how long exactly you can hold your breath, sneaking past enemies is always tense without ever being too difficult. The friend I played with grew up in China, so it was cool to have her confirming so much of what the game was talking about and giving in sight into what was happening or things to try (down to the achievement we accidentally got for jokingly trying to dial the Chinese emergency services number on an in-game phone XD).

Things slowly but surely go more Silent Hill-y fairly quickly. The game is, for the most part, more focused on having you slowly discover the story and solve puzzles than go past monsters, so there aren't really that many monster types or encounters. That said, because the monsters are so few and get fewer as you progress through the game, when they DO appear, it can be a proper tense experience as you need to get back into old habits of how to sneak past them.

The story is a story of national anxieties intersecting with personal traumas, and gets more into the narrative behind why all this is happening more-so than the monsters surrounding it as you go through the game more. Despite wearing its Silent Hill inspirations so unabashedly on its sleeve, I thought this was one of the better games I've played as far as handling the actual Silent Hill storytelling style is concerned. Information is revealed piecemeal to you but not in an aimless fashion. It allows you to slowly form conclusions that seem right at first but soon get challenged with new information as the broader narrative slowly opens up. Even then, the story is effectively told entirely through flashback scenes and notes you find, so there's a lot of onus on the player to put together the whole story, as the game never spells it out explicitly. It was ultimately something I really enjoyed, even as someone who isn't the biggest horror game fan.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's a bit short for the MSRP of $15, but if you want a horror game with a very different setting that handles its genre very well, Detention is a game well worth picking up, especially on a sale. It does more than just copy-cat, and uses its unique setting and kinda paper-drawn art style to create a play experience that feels familiar but with its own distinct atmosphere and narrative. If you are into Silent Hill, this is likely something you'll enjoy going through on your own on a dark night. Even if you aren't a big fan of actually playing Silent Hill games, like me, but like horror stuff, this is a very approachable game for more casual fans of the genre with how simple and forgiving the overall mechanics are.
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Mon Jan 28, 2019 3:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:16 am

@null: YEAH! I replayed SMW earlier this month, and yup - it's still my favorite of those early 2D games. By far.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 22, 2019 11:19 am

1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)

I somewhat unexpectedly rolled the credits in Reigns (iOS) yesterday. (I got the bad ending where my soul burns in hell for eternity... :lol: ) It is a virtual card game where you play as a ruler and make decisions about your kingdom by swiping left or right. For a game with such simple mechanics, it is remarkably deep, and you do everything from uncovering conspiracies to crawling through dungeons and fighting duels. Mostly though, you just make a lot of decisions - Should I marry the princess? Should I support a coup in the western territories? - to stay in power as long as possible. (My personal best was 66 years in power.) You stay in power by keeping four gauges (the church, the people, the army, and the treasury) in balance. Your decisions affect them, and if any of them get too high or too low, you’re overthrown. The game moves very quickly, and it is also very funny and charming. I enjoyed it a lot, and I will likely get the sequel soon.

I take back what I wrote about Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) in another thread. While the protagonist still moves way, way too slowly, like he’s wading through water, it actually controls pretty well. I know this because, starting at the third level, the difficulty spikes way, way up, and Konami basically swaps out standard Castlevania levels for something out of a hardcore platform we like 1001 Spikes or Super Meat Boy. Instant death spike are everywhere, walls close in on you, enemy placement is designed to cause instant death. Basically...it’s awesome, and I loved the “aching joints, sweating hands” feeling I had when I finished up the third level. (The first two levels are too easy. The last level was kind of a slog, and the last boss is annoying. The third level is definitely the game’s highlight.) Also, the music rules, especially the music at the end credits. Since I’m about to beat it too, however, I recognize that the sequel improves on this game in every way, and I can only recommend Castlevania: The Adventure hesitantly.
Return to General Gaming