4. Defender Faith
5. The Messenger
6. Eroico
7. Awesome Pea
8. Vosaria: lair of the forgotten
9. Vintage Hero
10. God of War (ps4)
11. Legendary Wings (nes)
12. Tiny Toobs Busters hidden treasure (genesis)
13. Johnny Rocket
14. Spider-man (ps4)
15. Ori and the blind forest
16. Rude bear resurrection
17. Shining Force (genesis)
18. Mega Man 5 (game boy)
19. Panzer Dragoon (saturn)
20. Shadow of the Tomb raider
21. The Painters apprentice
22. Tower 57
23. Dragons Lair (switch)
24. City of Heroes (openbor)
25. Callys Cave 4
26. Double Dragon (nes)
27. Duck Souls
28. Jumping joe and friends (switch)
29. Zombie Panic in Wonderland dx (switch)
30. Jackie Chans action kung fu (nes)
31. Strider X (openbor)
32. Daggerhood (switch)
33. Donkey Kong Country 2 (snes)
34. VOID
35. Ravva and the cyclops curse
36. Devil May Cry 5
37. Outrunner 3
38. Way of the passive fist
39. New Super mario bros deluxe(switch)
40. Mechstermination Force (switch)
41. Pewdipie: legend of the brofist
42. Robonauts (switch)
43. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 (3ds)
44. Ikao: lost souls
45. Contra: spirit of war
46. Katana Zero
47. Pixel Devil and the broken cartridge
48. Fate of Nimi (android)
49. Mega Man Powered up (psp)
50. Riddled Corpses EX
51. Mike Tysons Punch Out (nes)
52. Mercenaries Saga: will of the while lions (switch)
53. Martial Masters: new Legend (openbor)
54. Battle Princess Madeline (switch)
55. Contra (nes)
56. Super Punch out (snes)
57. Mega Man 2 (nes)
58. Overdriven: reloaded (switch)
59. Mega Man 3(nes)
60. Bloodstained: curse of the moon
61. Slime adventure
62. Aggelos (switch)
63. Castlevania (nes)
64. New Super luigi dx /(switch)
65. Super Double Dragon (snes)
66. Super Castlevania 4 (snes)
67. Battletoads (nes)
68. Battletoads and double dragon (nes)
69. Necrolance
70. Oniken
71. Final Fight (snes)
72. Castlevania 3 (nes)
73. Streets of Rage 2 (genesis)
74. Ninja Gaiden (nes on switch)
75. Gunlord X (switch)
76. Mega Man 5 (nes)
77. Super Mario RPG (snes)
78. Castlevania empathy (nes hack)
79. Uncharted: lost legacy (ps4)
80. Guns, Gore, and cannoli 2
81. Double Dragon 2 (nes)
82. Punch out (wii)
83. Super Punch out (snes, 2nd time)
84. Blaster Master Zero 2 (switch)
85. God of War 2 (nes hack)
86. Jackquest: tale of the sword
87. Owyns adventure
88. Fight n Rage
89. Invasher
90. Wulverblade
91. Darkwing Duck -new levels (nes hack)
92. Randall
93. Mega Man 6 (nes)
94. Castlevania: Dracula X (snes)
95. TMNT: fall of the foot clan (game boy)
96. Blazing Chrome
97. Castlevania: Holy Relics (nes hack)
98. Phreds punch out 2 turbo (nes hack)
99. Batman: Dark Knight (nes hack)
100. Punch-out (arcade)
101. Super Punch-out (arcade)
102. Runner 3
103. Rad Rogers
104. Castlevania: Blood Moon (nes hack)
105. Thunder Kid
106. Superstar Mario World (snes hack)
107. TMNT: turtles in time (snes)
108. Mega Man 7 demake
109. Gunforce 2 (arcade)
110. Super C (nes)
111. Mega Man 4 (nes)
112. Damsel
113. Mega Man Eternal

113. Mega Man Eternal:

wrote more details in the fan game thread, but to summarize, it is a solid fan made mega man game, worth a try for fanatics, but should not be looked at until you play mm unlimited first.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:06 pm

First 25
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)

26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)
39. Congo Bongo (Arcade)
40. Phantasy Star Gaiden (GG)
41. Phantasy Star Adventure (GG)
42. Panzer Dragoon Mini (GG)
43. Spartan X-2 (Famicom)
44. BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (Super Famicom)
45. BS The Legend of Zelda (Super Famicom)
46. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (NDS)
47. Double Dribble (NES)
48. Super Pro Football (INTV)
49. Indy 500 (2600)

Are you ready for some football?! This game rules, and I wrote more about it in this month’s TR thread.

Edit: Spent a couple of hours with Indy 500. It’s the grandfather of all racing games, and I wrote about it in the TR thread too.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:17 am

Old school sports games are so much better than new sports games, I used to love stuff like blades of steel and baseball stars as a kid and now sports games just bore the crap out of me.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Aug 04, 2019 8:48 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)
3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)
***4. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)***
5. Shining In The Darkness (GEN)
***6. Metropolis Street Racer (SDC)***
7. Half-Life 2 (XBOX)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
11. Street Fighter Collection (PS1)
12. Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
13. Burnout (PS2)
14. Phantasy Star III (GEN)
15. Batman: The Video Game (NES)
16. X-Men Legends (XBOX)
***17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)***

18. Maximum Pool (SDC)

I beat Maximum Pool on the Sega DreamCast this evening!

Maximum Pool has been a staple of my life for several years now. A friend of mine get together every Saturday and either play Pinball together or play video games together. We have a staple of always starting the evening with Tetris and Dr. Mario followed by whatever sparks our interest for the evening. A few years ago, my friend picked up Maximum Pool for the Dreamcast and that became our game to play right after Tetris and Dr. Mario. Both games are usually laid back and its a great way for us to talk about the past week along with preparing ourselves for whatever big game that was coming up next. We would always play one style of pool, but the game had multiple styles of billiards available. So, since the game is incredibly cheap, I decided to pick it up for myself and try them out on my own. Since I needed a quick game to beat in my new house, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity for a relatively easy beat.

I have played several different types of Pool games in the past and they never felt quite right. I remember playing one on the Genesis and it felt like the balls were made out of concrete. When I started playing Maximum Pool, it really felt like I was playing Pool. The balls would jump off the table if you hit them too hard and they would bounce and interact with balls like they normally would and should. The game does offer some variety in the tables. With instructions for all the tables, it is very easy to pick up and learn the games.

Unfortunately, the game does not offer much to it. There is only a handful of tables with many of them being unlocked behind beating the Computer Characters at higher difficulty levels. Also, there is full motion video of the characters talking to you and that gets really old, really fast. Finally, some of the games made it very difficult for you to foul as the game complains to you of your mistake. With levels of frustration from missing a shot, this would only exacerbate the annoyance of the moment.

Overall, Maximum Pool is a solid and competent pool game. It offers a little variety to make you want to play it every now and then as it really satisfies that itch to play Pool as we live in a time period where Pool Halls are disappearing quite frequently. If you love a game of Billiards, then this game is worth the price.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Aug 04, 2019 9:54 pm

115. Battletoads/double dragon (nes)

This is the second time I played through this game this year but the first time I beat it this year I did so using the mega warp + 10 life code and I felt like going back and beating it legit, well at least somewhat legit, I did use the 5 life code but I think that code is necessary for both of the toads games.

For those of you unfamiliar, this game is far more battletoads than double dragon. Although lots of double dragon enemies are here, this game plays very similar to battletoads. One button punches one button jumps. You have a punch combo that ends in a big power move and an extremely useful running attack that should be spammed at all points in time. The combat is basically lifted out of battletoads, which is fine, but if you go in expecting a DD style beat em up you will be dissapointed. In this game you could play as all 3 toads and both dragons. The 3 toads play identically to each other, and the 2 dragons play the same as each other. Even though I enjoy the toads, the dragons are definitely superior, they have longer range on all their attacks and a jump kick which the toads lack. Asthetically, I prefer the toads big feet and fists, but it does make the game slightly easier if you play as a dragon.

Note: slightly easier, remember this is a battletoads game, and as such it is very difficult. Like the original toads the level variety in this game is varied, but there is definitely more emphasis on beat em up style gameplay, which is good. In the original toads you had tons of levels which were virtually all gimmicks and very little combat, in this game there is loads of combat on every stage and other modes of play mixed in. So for example, in this game rather than have an entire level of rappeling down a rope, those rope sections are interspersed in a longer level with fighting and other obstacles.

This game is also shorter than battletoads, there are 7 levels. The first is a straight beat em up, 2nd is fighting and a speeder bike level, 3rd mixes a few different climbing sections, platforms, and other rope swinging, the 4th is a weird asteroids style schmup, the 5th is mostly straightforward with a bunch of obstacles that need to be avoided thrown into the mix. The last 2 levels are a bit dissapointing, they are both very short, very straightforward, and end in an obscenely difficult boss fight.

Overall, I would recommend this game. If you enjoyed the original battletoads but were turned off by the insane difficulty and the constantly switching playstyles then you are likely to enjoy this game. It is tough, but it is much easier than battletoads and requires much less memorization.
Ack

by Ack Mon Aug 05, 2019 10:13 am

Markies wrote:18. Maximum Pool (SDC)

I beat Maximum Pool on the Sega DreamCast this evening!

Maximum Pool has been a staple of my life for several years now. A friend of mine get together every Saturday and either play Pinball together or play video games together. We have a staple of always starting the evening with Tetris and Dr. Mario followed by whatever sparks our interest for the evening. A few years ago, my friend picked up Maximum Pool for the Dreamcast and that became our game to play right after Tetris and Dr. Mario. Both games are usually laid back and its a great way for us to talk about the past week along with preparing ourselves for whatever big game that was coming up next. We would always play one style of pool, but the game had multiple styles of billiards available. So, since the game is incredibly cheap, I decided to pick it up for myself and try them out on my own. Since I needed a quick game to beat in my new house, I figured this would be a perfect opportunity for a relatively easy beat.

I have played several different types of Pool games in the past and they never felt quite right. I remember playing one on the Genesis and it felt like the balls were made out of concrete. When I started playing Maximum Pool, it really felt like I was playing Pool. The balls would jump off the table if you hit them too hard and they would bounce and interact with balls like they normally would and should. The game does offer some variety in the tables. With instructions for all the tables, it is very easy to pick up and learn the games.

Unfortunately, the game does not offer much to it. There is only a handful of tables with many of them being unlocked behind beating the Computer Characters at higher difficulty levels. Also, there is full motion video of the characters talking to you and that gets really old, really fast. Finally, some of the games made it very difficult for you to foul as the game complains to you of your mistake. With levels of frustration from missing a shot, this would only exacerbate the annoyance of the moment.

Overall, Maximum Pool is a solid and competent pool game. It offers a little variety to make you want to play it every now and then as it really satisfies that itch to play Pool as we live in a time period where Pool Halls are disappearing quite frequently. If you love a game of Billiards, then this game is worth the price.

This sounds like a step up from Championship Pool for 16-bit consoles. Same idea in terms of options, though I don't know anything about unlocks. Just that there are a variety of games to play. The SNES port doesn't quite feel like concrete, though I admittedly don't play pool enough to gauge how good it feels when compared to real life.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:06 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *

33. Mother 3 (GBA) *

A game I played the English patch of nearly a decade ago, it was high time I return to Mother 3 to see what the original Japanese was like. Mother 3 not only held up in my memory as a game definitively better than Mother 2 (Earthbound) in every way, but also it exceeded those expectations and is a really wonderful piece of storytelling with some really clever design both narratively and mechanically. It took me around 27 hours, and I played on the Wii U Virtual Console (the game is very pretty on a TV <3 ).

First off, the mechanics of this game aren't THAT different from Earthbound, but they move the bar just enough to take it beyond the "Dragon Quest clone with a slowly raising/lowering health gimmick" status that Earthbound largely occupies. Mother 3 introduces a "heartbeat" system that allows the player to combo basic attacks by tapping the A Button repeatedly in time with the music, almost in a "Earthbound meets Rhythm Heaven" kind of way. This doesn't seem like much, but it has a fairly ingenious way of working together with the slowly raising/lowering health gimmick. Where previously spells whose animation were the most dangerous threat to how quickly you could potentially heal a dying party member, now the player can actively CHOOSE to continue a combo or stop it prematurely to try and rush down an enemy or save that teammate before they bleed out.

This system has some problems, the largest being that it's entirely up to the player's intuition on what beats of the background music the combo can be executed and some are VERY unintuitive and difficult to figure out. Given that the game seems largely balanced around the player having some skill at this system (granted I beat the game as a kid never using it, so it's not impossible to do), this can make certain boss fights or even normal enemies FAR more difficult than surrounding enemies or successive bosses that just happen to have a background track easier to time the beats to. Faults aside, the heartbeat system makes combat far more engaging, and really encourages the player to get into the fantastic musical score of the game, which has to be one of the best on the GBA (which you'd hope for a game that came out 2 years after the DS did).

Speaking of the music, this game has some incredible presentation. Cutscenes are blocked with care, and some of the most important (especially one near the end of chapter 1) are some of the most impressive conveyance of emotion and atmosphere that I've seen in a 2D game with no voice acting. Similarly, this game brings back a lot of visual motifs and music from the other two Mother games (mostly Earthbound), and while sometimes it certainly feels like it's there just for familiarity's sake (like the cave theme), other times it is used in a fiendishly clever way to convey the atmosphere of a scene (like the introduction to chapter 4). The Tazmily theme is also used in a variety of ways throughout the game to convey different meanings, and the game overall uses the theme of the "uncanny" to great effect.

I will be posting another blog post in the future entirely dedicated to narrative analysis of Mother 3, so I will keep comment on the story here brief. Mother 3 has a very well crafted story. The main characters actually feel like characters, and even Lucas' characterization, while brief, feels meaningful to the plot. However, it is not without its missteps. Aside from naming and presentation decisions for the "Magypsies" done in impressively poor taste, Mother 3 was originally going to be a much longer N64 game, and it shows. The game's last half disrupts much of the pacing and vignette style of the first half in favor of rapid fire globe trotting that doesn't add much to the characters. This leads to many major themes' presences getting very confused and tangled up among new minor themes, and an overall feeling that there was originally more to this story. That said, what is there is a damn good story for an RPG that tackles some quite dark themes with good taste, and even the Magypsies are actually treated quite well as characters within the narrative (their main problematic elements coming from their contextualization within the narrative, and not so much from their treatment within it).

EDIT: I totally forgot to mention about the game's difficulty. While the game certainly seems balanced around the heartbeat combos being used well, if you do use them, the whole game has a really well done difficulty curve. The difficulty never felt outright unfair or just rushing through enemies to kill them before my health ticked down like so much of the last of Earthbound is. It's a pretty hard game, but it rarely feels outright unfair. There are a couple proper horrible enemies and one not very well explained boss fight, but the game on the whole is consistently challenging in a way that feels fair, fun, and engaging.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. Mother 3 is a truly impressive sequel. It manages to not only improve on the groundwork laid by its predecessor but also add in so much on top of that it could be its own franchise on top of that. It is a damn shame that this game never got officially localized, and I cannot recommend the English fan translation enough for those of you who love Earthbound (or JRPGs at all) and are willing to go through downloading a GBA emulator and installing the translation patch.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Aug 07, 2019 4:17 am

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *

34. Hebereke (Famicom)

This game has always looked interesting, and I needed something to distract me from how bad I am at Sutte Hakkun's puzzles, so I decided to play through this game today. It's a little short, as you could pretty easily get through it in a couple hours, but it wasn't a bad use of 500 yen on the Wii U VC.

Hebereke (localized as Uforia) is a very odd little Metroid-like game where you go around as the titular character, a weird little humanoid chicken with a knit cap, and find a series of friends (O-chan the little girl in a cat suit, Sukezaemon the sunglasses-wearing ghost, and Jennifer the angler fish man) with different ambulatory powers to let you get through areas you couldn't before as well as charge abilities that provide a similar gating effect to later areas. It's got a silly sense of humor and very cute graphics.

Now, at first, I didn't realize you could jump on enemies because you need to hold Down while you're in the air to stomp. Otherwise you just land on them and get hurt. This seems like an utterly unnecessary design choice, but it's there. Once I learned I could actually fight the enemies that were kicking the crap out of me, I started to have quite a good bit of fun with this game. It's far easier than Metroid or Kid Icarus, as you find a map and a compass quite quickly. It's not a super easy game that any kid could breeze through, but any veteran of NES-era platformers should not have a very difficult time with this game. The hardest part is remembering where the obstacles are on the map so you can go back to them once you have the right power/character to get past them (I had to look up where one particular item was because I had forgotten where on the map you went to to get to it).

Verdict: Highly Recommended. It's a bit short, but Hebereke (Uforia) is a well designed game that plays great. It could really use some kind of save points rather than a password system and/or a way to recharge your health to full easier, but those are really minor complaints. If you're looking for a fun and not too punishing action adventure game on your NES, this is a good one to pick up if you don't spend an arm and a leg on it.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
PresidentLeever
Next-Gen

by PresidentLeever Wed Aug 07, 2019 8:03 am

Good to see some Mother 3 love!
http://minirevver.weebly.com/ - Mini-reviews, retro vgm tribute, rom hacks, chip music, mockups, misc. lists
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:39 pm

117. Castlevania: the bloodletting

Castlevania: the bloodletting is a fan game that draws its name from a cancelled sega 32x game. There were actually plans to release a castlevania game on segas failed attachment but it was cancelled for obvious reasons, and the several of the members of the team went on to make symphony of the night. This game takes place between rondo and symphony and has you playing as richters son, harker belmont.

The graphics and playstyle of this game are clearly inspired by rondo of blood. Although the assets are mostly new, this game definitely
looks like it could have been a direct sequel to rondo, even enemies that are not in rondo are drawn using the graphical style of rondo which is pretty cool. In addition to looking like rondo this game also retains the moveset of rondo, that means you can only whip straight, there are no double/triple shot power ups for sub weapons, there is an item crash move unique to each sub weapon, and you have a backflip and a slide. Also, this is a linear classicvania, not a metroidvania like sypmphony.

One of the cool things about this game is how they force you to use the backflip. If you ever played rondo or x you could have easily beat it without ever even knowing the backflip or slide exists but both moves are useful, and even necessary to beat this game. This game has several pits that are too far for your normal jump, the backflip takes you much farther and you need to know when you can jump a pit vs when you need to backflip over it. It is a cool dynamic that adds a lot to the platforming in this game. The slide is only necessary for one jump in the game, but it is extremely useful in quickly evading enemy attacks and getting to a better position in boss battles. In addition to these new navigation tools the whip arc is more pronounced in this game, when you whip you can hit enemies directly above you and directly behind you. The hit boxes for these frames is small but it is incredibly useful. For example, when you are climbing stairs and there is an enemy at the top you can lurk at the top of the stairs and safely bash the enemy before they can hit you. Learning these hitboxes exist and how to use them comes in handy far more than I originally thought.

Speaking of boss battles, there is a boss at the end of every level and one thing of note in this game is that often you need to whip an enemy 2-3 times to take off one block of life. What this means is you can't just mash whip and win against any boss like you often can in some castlevania titles. Bosses require you to learn their patterns and fight carefully.

There are 8 levels in this game, and the difficulty tends to be in the higher side. You are given 5 lives before you need to continue but if you want to cheat like me you could go into the data file(notepad format) and edit your lives to 99, this means you will start the level with 99 lives. This doesn't make the game easier but it does mean that you won't have to replay long difficult sections when you lose a life. The game is tough, very fast paced, and a lot of fun. It will constantly keep you on your toes and ,every difficult castlevania trope you can think of is in this game, falling blocks, flying medusa heads, dick enemy placement, its all here.

The soundtrack in this game is beyond top notch, there are a few new tracks, but the soundtrack is mostly heavy metal mixes of old castlevania music which is just completely amazing and matches the franticness of the gameplay. Also, when you are fighting draculas final form, sephiroths theme music is playing which really makes the fight feel epic.

I absolutely loved this game, but there are some issues you should know about if you want to give it a shot:

1) there is no way to configure your gamepad, the game does support gamepads but it locks you into a control scheme where a = whip, b = jump, x = subweapon y = item crash. In additon to this it only works with the analog stick, and does not detect the d pad. This is not how I usually play games so it did mess me up. I also tried disabling the gamepad and using joy2key but that didnt work. Its not terrible, you do get used to it but it definitely was an early game hurdle.

2) This game is buggy, there were times I would have to reboot the game when it freezes(it does save your progress so you never need to replay the whole game) and then times where weird things happen. Stairs in particular are buggy and sometimes I couldn't walk up or down stairs until I jumped first which is weird. I also would run into situations where I was invincible on stairs, I eventually learned to use this to my advantage. As weird as it sounds you eventually get a feel for what will bug out the game and learn to somewhat play around it. There are also times when your movements lock up and then you have to die to get control back. These issues are annoying and almost made me quit the game.

Thing is, despite these issues I kept wanting to play more. The amazing soundtrack and challenging levels made me really want to play this game, so I suffered through the random glitches. I'm glad I did, I had a ton of fun with this game and if your a fan of CV and want something new it is worth a playthrough but the random bugs and glitches will annoy you, and the difficulty level will stress you out, but it is definitely a solid game.
Return to General Gaming