Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
pook99
128-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by pook99 Sun Feb 10, 2019 11:16 pm

MrPopo wrote:4 was good but was a harbinger of things to come. 5 and 6 were terrible RE games. I was surprised by 7; it feels like RE1 if you swap out a lot of the zombies for more encounters with Lisa.

I'm of the unpopular opinion that RE6 is a great game, while it certainly deviates from the standard horror formula it plays out like an amazing action horror movie and I loved every second of it. Also from a logical standpoint it is, IMO, a natural progression for the series. I mean, you have this team of special agents all trained to fight zombies, it is only logical that by the time the 6th game rolls around they would be far more efficient at it then the weaklings they all were in the earlier games.

Having said all that, I do understand why people hate it, but it is one of my favorite games in the series.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Feb 11, 2019 2:07 am

Ack wrote:I certainly don't like seeing "quick time button press to punch this rock with your beefy muscles" in my horror games...

If you were the leader of a mercenary-esque group that had to single handedly go out and fight biological monstrosities ripping and eating people to shreds and had access to high tech supplements and a good diet plan, wouldn't you beef up too? Not to mention your arch nemesis is basically the Matrix. Nothing wrong with Chris bulking up.

I've been a fan of RE since I played RE2 in 1998 and RE5 is one of my top favorites. Come at me all!

REmake, RE2, RE4, RE5, and now REmake 2 are my top favorites. REmake 1 being the Perfect Tyrant.

Original RE1 is still great (avoid the Dual Shock edition), RE3, Zero, and Revelations 2 are all solid in my book. RE7 is fine and all but completely lacks the character/charm of the rest of the series. Really wish it wasn't "7" and was a spinoff. RE6 was fine but probably not touching that one again.

Code Veronica is super low tier. It's funny how people miss the crossbow in REmake 2, did they forget how utterly terrible it is? Hated Revelations 1.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:47 am

@pook99

Nice Mega Man V review. I’m working my way through the Gameboy Mega Man games right now, but I haven’t reached that one yet. I have reached all the others, though, and the Gameboy game’s really pick up with III. The first two are just OK, but they don’t really touch the NES games. III and IV are both stronger, IMO, than Mega Man 4, 5, and 6 on the NES, and they can be very challenging.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Feb 11, 2019 11:59 am

If you completely eliminated Steve Burnside CVX would be fully in the solid category.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:16 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)

11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)

Tiny Barbarian was a Kickstarter game that was billed as a kind of retro throwback to classic action games. It came out over the course of four years in 3 parts, with the third and fourth parts coming out at the same time. I got this game pretty cheap on PC back around when Act 1 came out, enjoyed Act 1 well enough, and then put it down and waited for the other acts to come out (aka promptly forgot about it). The physical version on Switch goes for about 20 bucks now, so I picked it up at Best Buy a few weeks back and only now got around to playing it. There is fun to be had with this thing, but the conclusion I came to in my 6.5 or so hours with it is that it's a culmination of everything wrong with retro throwback action games XD

Tiny Barbarian really goes out of its way to evoke the feeling of games like Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania on NES, but with longer levels. You have a weapon that routinely feels like it doesn't have the range to comfortably deal with the enemies thrown at you, there are a lot of tricky jumps that range from close calls to pixel perfect bullshit, and the bosses range from fun, well-flowing events to the more frequent super frustrating bullshit. In scaling up an older action game-style to modern game sizes, Tiny Barbarian mostly succeeds in emphasizing how excruciating those games could feel. Levels are so dependent on positioning yourself well to both defect incoming enemy attacks (either slashing them or their bullets away from you) in combination with doing the tricky platforming that a lot of the game, particularly the boss fights, come down to rote trial and error to just memorize it as efficiently as possible. While the Mega Man homage section in the last act was fun, most of what this game did was remind me of just how much I do not enjoy the bulk of the games this game pays homage to.

Mechanics and design aside, the game's presentation is quite good, although with some faults nonetheless. The game has a very pretty art style (in that "what if the SNES/Mega Drive could do lots of frames of animation"-kind of way) and the music is also routinely good. The only issue is that it is very frequently a problem of just keeping track of where your character is on screen. Particularly in the harder boss fights, the titular character being so genuinely tiny can really inhibit your ability to even maintain a hold of what's going on if you aren't paying strict enough attention to both your location and the location of your enemy and all their projectiles.

Verdict: Not Recommended. As said before, there is fun to be had with this, but it's moreso in the bad way that hard games can be enjoyed: the relief when you finally finish a very difficult part you just wanted to get past. This is a game that feels too routinely unfair for me to ever feel comfortable giving it any kind of recommendation. That's not only because there are SO many other 2D action platformers that do this kind of action better (albeit most of the ones I can think of are rogue-lites or Metroidvanias), but also because if the game didn't have such forgiving checkpoints, there is no way most people would ever bother trying to see this game to the end, and that's for a reason beyond just "it's a hard game".
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Violent By Design
Next-Gen

by Violent By Design Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:37 pm

I think REmake and RE4 are the best Resident Evil games. I honestly never cared for Resident Evil 2, and thought the first one was quite a bit better (PSX). I would play Resident Evil 5 over the original trilogy including Code Veronica, albeit RE5 is a different genre from those games.

RE6 is lousy, and RE7 looks good but there is nothing that seems to stand out.

I also really liked Resident Evil Zero, and was a bit surprised to see it had some mixed reviews.

I'd probably go something like

10/10 games

REmake
Resident Evil 4
REsident Evil 2

Really fun games

Resident Evil Zero
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil

They're alright games, but missing something

Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3

Kind of bad or not worth playing

Resident Evil Revelations
Resident Evil 6
Stark
Next-Gen

by Stark Mon Feb 11, 2019 1:56 pm

Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney

I never really got around to playing these and they had a sale on the trilogy the other day so I snapped it up. This has been a great snow day companion. For those not in the know these games are basically court room drama visual novels. I liked all of the stories in this one, with the last case being the strongest, which I guess makes sense for the finale, but I guess it wasn't originally the final case and was added later? There was some other new features added (finger printing, etc.) so I guess that is why that felt a little different. Highly recommended for silly names like Dick Gumshoe for a detective and Dee Vasquez (as in Dee-Va) for a diva personality and just good fun.
Let strength be granted, so the world might be mended...so the world might be mended.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Mon Feb 11, 2019 10:29 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:@pook99

Nice Mega Man V review. I’m working my way through the Gameboy Mega Man games right now, but I haven’t reached that one yet. I have reached all the others, though, and the Gameboy game’s really pick up with III. The first two are just OK, but they don’t really touch the NES games. III and IV are both stronger, IMO, than Mega Man 4, 5, and 6 on the NES, and they can be very challenging.

Thanks, maybe I will check them out at some point. I have heard the game boy games are all harder than their nes counterparts, so that alone intriques me since I tend to enjoy the more challenging mega man games, 9 is probably my 2nd favorite mega man game, second only to mm 2, but 2 has some severe nostalgia on its side making it virtually impossible to dethrone in my eyes.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:12 am

pook99 wrote:
prfsnl_gmr wrote:@pook99

Thanks, maybe I will check them out at some point. I have heard the game boy games are all harder than their nes counterparts, so that alone intriques me since I tend to enjoy the more challenging mega man games, 9 is probably my 2nd favorite mega man game, second only to mm 2, but 2 has some severe nostalgia on its side making it virtually impossible to dethrone in my eyes.

They are! None of the games is as hard as Mega Man (NES), but they are certainly more difficult than every entry on the NES after that. The first two are harder for bad reasons (i.e., sluggish controls, limited view, etc.), but the later games just have really tough levels and bosses. I’ve been pleasantly surprised.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:48 am

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)

12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)

And so comes to a close the other game on the PS3 God of War Collection I picked up, and I'm glad I did! This game is really everything a sequel should strive to be. It controls similarly but tighter. The puzzle and platforming has been tightened up a LOT. More bosses and better bosses. I honestly don't have THAT much to say about this given that I already have my God of War 1 review on here, but I'll give my thoughts on this nonetheless.

As previously stated, this is basically an improved version of the first game in every way. The level designed is really improved to make things better signposted (sometimes a bit TOO much and oddly sometimes not enough), with hidden items quite cleverly hidden. They're way more linear with less potential for confusing backtracking and levels that wrap around like the first game had. They flow much better, even if you're hunting for goodies. The puzzles are also a lot harder than in the first game. I never had to google a single thing for the first game, but there were like 4 or 5 puzzles I had to google the solution to (partly because they're relying on mechanics the game doesn't explain or doesn't explain well enough to apply, in my defense).

The combat is largely the same, but your sub-weapons have been changed up a bit. Two of the magic spells have been swapped out for new ones, and instead of the sub-weapon sword from last game, now you have a hammer and a spear (eventually), so combat can really get mixed up depending on how you want to focus things. This game has WAY more bosses in it, like 3 or 4 times more, as well as more enemy types. The combat has also been fine tuned a bit to just make it more fun, in particular dodging has been made easier to break other combos to do and quicker to recover from, and that just helps the pace of everything else SO much that it can't be ignored.

The presentation is also great. There's a lot more story in this compared to the first. Much more story, dialogue, and cinematics, as well as actually trying to add some kind of message to the story (although it's a fairly light one). Granted the first game's bar was basically touching the ground in regards to story, this game raises it more than it had to, and that's worth something I think. The music is also fantastic and especially the boss tracks really get the blood pumping. On top of that, perhaps it's just the PS3 up-res, but the polygon count on this game is incredible. This has to be one of the best looking games on PS2, bar none. Just the fact this game runs so well is an achievement on the hardware. If I were actually playing it on a PS2, I reckon smoke would be coming out of the back of it ;P

Verdict: Highly Recommended. The first God of War feels like a first try, but this sequel is exactly what a sequel should be. It is an all-around refinement of everything about the first game. Easily one of the best action/adventure games on the PS2, and something well worth checking out if you're into that kind of thing and can handle the (admittedly rather tame graphically by today's standards) violence involved in Kratos' enemy executions.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming