Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by prfsnl_gmr Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:50 pm

marurun wrote:I love that some folks can really appreciate Kid Chameleon, but folks are also well within their rights to think it is a crap game, too.

I am loving this conversation. The Kid Chameleon argument is one of the best, most Racketboy-y arguments we’ve had in a while.

Also...to set the record straight...the original version of Castlevania, on the Famicom Disk System, had a save system. Also, both Battletoads and Blaster Master would have benefitted immensely from a save or password system. Rygar too. I don’t know about Kid Chameleon because I haven’t spent more than five minutes with it. Finally, Comix Zone sucks.
pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Sat Aug 31, 2019 4:32 pm

PresidentLeever wrote:I totally get the allergic reaction to the game's "hey kids, this is what you think is cool!" 90s aesthetic, btw.

It does lay on the extreme 90s attitude pretty thick.

chupon wrote:One interesting point made is that most negative criticisms of the game seem to come from individuals who don't spend enough time with the game / give it a chance to figure out the nuances. There is a lot there to figure out and after reading the HG101 review by Eric Provenza I can't wait to fire up Kid Chameleon again!

I'm actually a lot more interested in giving Kid Chameleon more of my time, right now, than I have been at most points in the past. I don't think it's likely that I'll really enjoy it a great deal, just because I don't really enjoy Mario, and it basically struck me as Mario meets DOS platformers. It does seem more worth playing through to me now, though.

Sorry, AJ. Your mission might'a' backfired.
marurun

by marurun Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:08 pm

There was an SGDQ run of Kid Chameleon in 2018 that gave me a lot more respect for the game, but I still don’t particularly enjoy playing it. Comix Zone, on the other hand, is a single flaw away from being legendary. That flaw is pretty big, though.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
pook99
128-bit

by pook99 Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:06 am

@chupon: I definitely have spent more than enough time with it, I have beaten the game using save states and played it as a kid.

@marurun: what is the one flaw that keeps comix zone from being legendary?
marurun

by marurun Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:18 am

Comix Zone’s fatal flaw is that every attack damages you. Your lifebar therefore isn’t just how many hits you can take but how many attacks you can dish out.

There isn’t much enemy variety, but a fight against some enemies is like a lite fighting game match. But you can’t go all out because hitting the enemy also hurts you.

You have a number of moves at your disposal, but you end up having to stick to the most damaging ones to meter the impact on your life bar.

Changing that one mechanic would have made the game much more accessible to different play styles.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Sep 01, 2019 5:09 pm

Markies' Games Beat List Of 2019!
*Denotes Replay For Completion*

1. Power Stone 2 (SDC)
2. Radiata Stories (PS2)
3. Dusty Diamond's All-Star Softball (NES)
***4. Saiyuki: Journey West (PS1)***
5. Shining In The Darkness (GEN)
***6. Metropolis Street Racer (SDC)***
7. Half-Life 2 (XBOX)
8. Soul Blazer (SNES)
9. Mario Party (N64)
10. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (GCN)
11. Street Fighter Collection (PS1)
12. Pokemon Stadium 2 (N64)
13. Burnout (PS2)
14. Phantasy Star III (GEN)
15. Batman: The Video Game (NES)
16. X-Men Legends (XBOX)
***17. Final Fantasy VII (PS1)***
18. Maximum Pool (SDC)
19. Puzzle Quest (PS2)

20. Jet Moto (PS1)

I beat Jet Moto on the Sony Playstation 1 this afternoon!

A few years ago, I was going to my now defunct favorite retro game store. I would usually visit once every few months or so just to see what they had available. While there, they recently had a large collection of PS1 games for sale. I had grown my PS1 collection by leaps and bounds thanks to that location, so I was always up to see what was available. After sifting through games that I already owned, I came across two classics that I had passed several times. Once was Crash Bandicoot and the other was Jet Moto. I had some store credit at the time and they were both relatively cheap. I was interested in trying them out both as they had many iterations on the console and I wanted to be certain that I would enjoy them before putting two much time in them. so, without any better prospects, I decided to pick up some relatively common games.

Jet Moto is a futuristic racer where you race on hover bikes around a course for three laps. The bikes look and control like motorcycles only faster with a bit less weight to them. You are also able to use a Grapple to clutch onto poles during very tight turns. This grapple mechanic is a key to success as you can slingshot yourself past other racers or go straight into the wall. Each race has about 25 racers or so, which is really nice as you always feel like somebody is chasing you. Also, the AI has no rubber band effect, so you can catch up rather easily and race ahead of them as well. For racing games, it's has some of the best AI's I've seen. The racing is fun and you can get a few air on some of the large jumps.

The game is short, like incredibly short. You only have three cups and they increase in difficulty and amount of races, but that is it. Once done, the game is essentially over. You don't even unlock credits or anything for beating the game. Also, during some races and the higher difficulties, the AI becomes a bit unruly. You almost have to be perfect to win a race.

Overall, Jet Moto isn't a bad game, but there is very little to it in the first place. Once you understand the game and how it works, it is all over. It was fun to play, but everything went by so quickly. It was like eating one of those Butterfingers that they advertised so much in the game. Nice in small doses, but not something to make a meal out of. I picked it up rather cheaply and it is worth it if you can find it cheaply too.
marurun

by marurun Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:01 pm

1. Blaster Master Zero -- Switch
  2. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! -- DS
  3. Steamworld Dig -- Switch
  4. King of Dragons -- Switch
  5. Steamworld Dig 2 -- Switch
  6. River City: Tokyo Rumble -- 3DS
  7. Kirby: Planet Robobot -- 3DS

Kirby: Planet Robobot -- 3DS

Robobot is the second most-recent mainline title in the venerable Kirby series, and the last to appear on 3DS. It is not a particularly hard game, though it definitely features a few difficult moments, and can be challenging if you're looking for all the little extras and collectibles. There are 5 worlds of normal stages each and then a 6th area which is an extended series of boss fights (and I do mean extended). The boss of each world is unlocked by Code Cubes which are scattered throughout levels. Most levels have 3 cubes hidden about, and you need increasing numbers to fight each boss. You can fight most bosses with only a minimal number of cubes collected, at worst 7 (I think). But if you collect all the cubes you unlock special EX levels which have, you guessed it, even more Code Cubes to find. There are also lots of stickers hidden throughout the world you can collect to attach to your robot suit.

Why is Kirby messing about with Code Cubes and robot suits? Because a giant spaceship has invaded his planet and appears to be siphoning off natural resources and converting the local fauna and flora to machines, ala Eggman. Many of the enemies you fight are altered or mechanized versions of the standard enemies Kirby normally faces. Periodically you have the opportunity to don a mech suit, which lets you outright destroy many stage hazards and makes short work of normal enemies. The suit can also scan enemies and take on their powers much as Kirby does, and the various powers it can adopt play into a large number of puzzle elements across various stages. The mech suit can also manipulate screws and nuts throughout levels to reshape them or alter interactive stage elements. Level design can be a bit samey in places, but rarely does the action FEEL samey. There's always some new take on what's going on. And thanks to the mechanization of the bosses, the few times you encounter an old boss or miniboss, they can feel QUITE different and have many new attacks and maneuvers.

This game is very attractive. Let's get that out of the way. It looks great and sounds great. Everything is very well animated, extremely colorful, and features varied effects throughout. The music is also very spiced up renditions of the traditional tunes you know and love, as with every Kirby iteration. Now let's talk about the 3DS elements of this game. While 3D was useful in River City: Tokyo Rumble, it wasn't very impressive. It was just kinda there and made lining up with your enemies easier. In Kirby: Planet Robobot, the 3D is quite impressive. Many stages have a foreground and a background, and stars take you between them. There are also lots of hazards that you really need 3D to properly avoid. This would be a show stopper for me, except it turns out my greatest fear about the 3DS never materialized. While I have always thought the idea of glasses-free 3D was a neat trick, I was certain I would never want to use it, and avoided picking up a 3DS because of that. When the 2DS came out the only thing stopping me was that I had so much else to play. So now that I have a proper New 3DS, how do I play it? With 3D cranked all the way up. This cheap parlor trick is suddenly super effective against Maru. And Robobot, particularly, knows how to make that parlor trick look very pretty.

If there is a complaint I have, it's that the final boss battles can start to drag. There's just too much boss going on. The final boss has like 6 phases. They do try to mix it up, but boss fatigue sets in. They needed a couple more platformer or puzzle segments in-between to help create some down-time.

Still, for anyone who has a fondness for Kirby and likes the 3DS, this game is a strong recommended.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Steam Profile
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon Sep 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *
34. Hebereke (Famicom)
35. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SFC)
36. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SFC)
37. Donkey Kong Country (SFC) *
38. Wario's Woods (Famicom)
39. Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
40. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
41. Luigi's Mansion (3DS) *

42. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)

This is a game I've had bad blood with for a looong time, and I've made no secret about it on this site before. I was so excited to hear about getting another turn-based Paper Mario game after Super Paper Mario was more of an action game, that I was probably never going to like this when I played it 7 years ago. It is not at all trying to be a revival of the gameplay style of the first two Paper Mario games, and is doing something else entirely. What spurred my desire to give it another try, in fact, was when I was researching online after playing Paper Mario Color Splash. I was reading the Wikipedia page for this game and saw that the game's director, when asked if it was an RPG before the game was out, denied that it was and insisted it was an action/adventure game. The game had positive reviews at the time, and I know that even some people on this site have spoken positively about it before (I think it was Sarge?), so I knew there was definitely some enjoyment that could be found here. I already knew that it was a bad RPG, so this time I went in looking for a good action/adventure game, and that's pleasantly what I found. I looked as much as I could for hidden stuff, but I didn't do all 8 super flags. It took me a little over 21 hours to beat the Japanese version of the game.

First of all, I will address my chief complaint with the game my last time through it: The game is a bad RPG. Very specifically, battles are a complete waste of time, because there is no reward for doing them other than money, and money isn't that important. Like Color Splash would kinda continue, you have a limited supply of battle stickers, and those stickers are your ability to fight. Getting into battles just drains your sticker supply and means you have less to use in boss encounters. It's a pretty terrible set up for an RPG, but a fairly typical one for an action/adventure game. Having to deal with avoiding enemies to conserve resources and not expecting rewards greater than what you put in is nothing out of the ordinary for an action/adventure game, and approaching the game that way genuinely changed my mind about what I'd previously seen as its biggest flaw.

While on the topic of the battle system, I'll continue on it here. So like Color Splash would continue to do, you can find all sorts of stickers with varying effects. You can find different kinds of jump and hammer moves as well as special ones like a raccoon tail or a frog suit that let you dodge attacks in a specific way. In addition, you also have Things (non-paper objects, like a vacuum or a pair of scissors) that you can find in the world and have turned into more powerful stickers that can easily win you a normal encounter or also serve as solutions to environmental puzzles or boss weaknesses. Color Splash generally improves on this system, but does actually have some steps back in terms of design.

Where Color Splash just has every battle card you find be part of a larger deck of cards, Sticker Star has a sticker album. More powerful stickers, particularly Thing stickers, are physically larger in the sticker album, so you need to consider just how much you'd rather have a more powerful arsenal or one that will last longer. In addition to that, having 2-8 pages of stickers to sort through is simply faster to sort through than shuffling back and forth between a deck of 50 battle cards. Lastly, where Color Splash has a requirement to use a boss' weakness to defeat them (they're invulnerable unless the proper thing is used on them at the correct time), Sticker Star doesn't have this stipulation most of the time. There are some boss fights that are effectively impossible without the boss' weakness being exploited (and some that require a counter move like the raccoon tail to even hurt them at all), but a surprising amount of them can just be brute-forced through with enough healing and proper use of action commands. It's not necessarily a better design, per se, but it's nice to have the option.

The main reason it isn't outright a better design relates to how Sticker Star is, at the end of the day, an all-around inferior game to Color Splash. The main reason that not being forced to use a boss' weakness to beat them is nice is because you only have environmental hints as to what a boss' weakness is in the first place, where Color Splash has a character who will give you big hints as to which Things you should have prepared for the next area you'll go to so you don't hit a road block. I surprisingly never had to look up which Thing I needed to solve a certain puzzle, but part of that is down to dumb luck and part of it is also down to just remembering the solution from my first attempt through this game (where I got like 3/4ths of the way through the game, apparently). However, I did still run into places where I needed to totally backtrack out of a level in order to go back and get a smattering of Thing stickers that were likely solutions to the puzzle I'd come across. This all wraps up into a larger problem of the game generally not respecting your time, as the battles still feel like wastes of time because they can take so long (longer than just a Super Mario-esque Goomba-stomp takes, at least) and have very little reward.

Something that does shine quite well is the presentation. Particularly the music, which isn't quite as overall great as Color Splash, but is still a damn fine selection of tunes. The paper-craft design of the world is also leaned into a bit, particularly with characters picking up objects and crumpling them up like paper, but it (once again) isn't leaned into as an aesthetic quite as hard as Color Splash would do it. The only real issue that I had was because of not playing in 3D (I only have a 2DS XL to play Japanese games on), there were two or three spots where not having 3D depth made a jump more awkward to make than it should've been.

Finally you have the writing, which is not as bad as I remember, but still comes off as a pale imitation of Color Splash after that game's writing is so good. The game has a lot of larger plot elements that go on to be reused and refined in Color Splash. You have a single new partner who is your constant companion throughout the game and they teach you to do the game's key mechanics, you'll occasionally lose your companion and have to deal with how to fight without them, and even the final battle has a very similar set-up to how your partner will help you fight. The more linear, stage-based world design is even started in this game and continued in the next (even though this game is far more linear in its approach to things). But overall, Kirsti just comes off as a less funny and endearing Huey, as she doesn't have nearly as much dialogue, and just as much of it is about giving you instructions as it is about making humorous commentary on the current situation. The pacing of the dialogue is much more in line with a typical Mario & Luigi game (fairly large spans of no dialogue interspersed with NPCs who talk a decent bit) rather than the almost VN-esque text frequencies of Color Splash. The dialogue is funny, but there just isn't enough of it. Heck, Bowser is in this game and literally doesn't have a single spoken line of dialogue.

A somewhat common complaint I've seen about this game online is that the overall story is lacking, but I honestly believe that that barely matters. Paper Mario has never been a series that benefited significantly from a story that tried significantly to talk about larger points of the human condition. Super Paper Mario arguably has one of the more serious overall themes of grappling with one's own existential mortality, but no one holds that up as the shining pinnacle of the series. The most memorable parts of it have related to the humor and the character found throughout the world, and this game does a good job of continuing that, as does Color Splash in improving upon it further. This game having a fairly fluffy and silly approach to its storytelling is a valid observation, but I don't believe it's a complaint any more meaningful than complaining that the Mario platformer games don't have enough social commentary in them.

Verdict: Hesitantly Recommended. Approached the right way, there is a decent amount of fun to be had with this game. Playing it after Color Splash certainly made its shortcomings stand out all the more, but none of its flaws make the experience totally worthless. I still believe it's the worst Paper Mario game, but it's not by nearly as much of a margin as I believed previously, and it is far from a bad game. If you can find it for $10 like I did, then it is a fine game to hop in and out of at your own pace.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:11 am

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 50
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

February (2 Games Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2
14. Fallout 76 - PlayStation 4 - February 3

March (4 Games Beaten)
15. Octopath Traveler - Switch - March 2
16. Resident Evil 0 - PlayStation 4 - March 9
17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PlayStation 4 - March 10
18. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - Game Boy Advance - March 30

April (3 Games Beaten)
19. Moemon - Game Boy Advance - April 5
20. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch - April 10
21. Wargroove - Switch - April 26

May (8 Games Beaten)
22. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Switch - May 5
23. Battlefield V - PlayStation 4 - May 9
24. Timespinner - PlayStation 4 - May 12
25. Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - PlayStation 4 - May 17
26. Shenmue - PlayStation 4 - May 19
27. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - PlayStation 2 - May 26
28. Team Sonic Racing - Switch - May 29
29. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - PlayStation 2 - May 30

June (5 Games Beaten)
30. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprache Zarathustra - PlayStation 2 - June 2
31. Gato Roboto - Switch - June 3
32. Katana Zero - Switch - June 4
33. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Wii U - June 8
34. Dark Savior - Saturn - June 12

July (12 Games Beaten)
35. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim - Switch - June 7
36. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dragonborn - Switch - June 7
37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
44. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16
45. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18
46. My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? - Switch - July 19

August (4 Games Beaten)
47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10
48. Wolfenstein Youngblood - Xbox One - August 24
49. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - DS - August 27
50. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PlayStation 4 - August 31

Metal Wolf Chaos is a bit of an odd story in the history of gaming. It's a game that was released fairly late in the life of the original Xbox - a system that only really saw success in the United States - about an American vice president who ousts the president in a coup, it takes place almost exclusively in the United States, it's voice entirely in English, and yet was only released in Japan. Everything about this game screams "American release" if not a release exclusive to North America, but it never saw a release outside of Japan....UNTIL NOW.

The game starts with you, playing as the president of the United States, fleeing a large coup force from the White House. Fortunately, the president has his own personal mecha mobile armor, Metal Wolf complete with the presidential seal and massive armament of weaponry. You have to fight your way through the White House lawn, into an underground escape tunnel, and to Air Force One to escape to the west coast where you begin your one-man war to MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN. It's weird how much the coup forces and treasonous vice president remind me of Trump. You know, if Trump were at all competent or even moderately intelligent. They describe Metal Wolf and the budding resistance as a "great evil" and a threat to American freedom and justice. It's eerie.

The game plays as an admittedly rather clunky third person shooter. You have a SUPER limited boost ability (technically it lasts a good while, but it starts draining your health after a couple seconds), but other than that, you're pretty much just trudging through the levels on foot. You can have two weapons equipped at a time unless you're using a sniper cannon or multimissile launcher as those require both hands. There is a part or two that require a little bit of platforming above some instant-death pits, and since there are no checkpoints, death means doing the entire level over again (as I found out when I got knocked into a pit with the boss of a level almost dead), and the controls are NOT conducive of platforming, so that's not tight at all, but by and large, the controls are workable, and the game's campy tongue-in-cheek humor makes it worth playing through.

With its visuals as with its controls, Metal Wolf Chaos shows its age. This is not a remake or a remaster; this is a straight re-release with no real changes made aside from translated menus and upscaling to modern resolutions. The textures are the same, and the frame rate is still 30 fps. Personally, I'd have liked to see a bit of polish on the aging textures and polygons or at least a frame rate bump to 60 fps, but the game is still perfectly playable and enjoyable, and at $30, it's a fair asking price.

Metal Wolf Chaos XD is a game that Americans (or at least a few of us...the weird ones) have been wanting to play for fifteen years, but aside from emulation or importing (and then bypassing the Xbox's region lock), it's been out of our reach. At long last, we have available to us a game that truly does let us MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN, and this time without the concentration camps or catastrophic tariffs! Truthfully, Metal Wolf Chaos isn't an amazing game especially by today's standards, but it's a solid game for those who just want a fun, goofy robot blasting time. I'd recommend giving it a play for sure.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:42 am

Games Beaten in 2019 So Far - 51
* denotes a replay

January (12 Games Beaten)
1. Army Men 3D - PlayStation - January 1*
2. Ys I: Ancient Ys Vanished - NES - January 4
3. Mega Man - NES - January 6
4. Mega Man 2 - NES - January 6
5. Mega Man 3 - NES - January 6
6. Mega Man 4 - NES - January 7
7. Dr. Discord's Conquest - NES - January 7
8. Mega Man 5 - NES - January 26
9. Just Cause 3 - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. Mega Man 6 - NES - January 27
11. Persona 5: Dancing in Starlight - Vita - January 27
12. Mobile Suit Gundam: Encounters in Space - PlayStation 2 - January 27

February (2 Games Beaten)
13. Earth Defense Force 5 - PlayStation 4 - February 2
14. Fallout 76 - PlayStation 4 - February 3

March (4 Games Beaten)
15. Octopath Traveler - Switch - March 2
16. Resident Evil 0 - PlayStation 4 - March 9
17. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Remastered - PlayStation 4 - March 10
18. Fire Emblem: The Binding Blade - Game Boy Advance - March 30

April (3 Games Beaten)
19. Moemon - Game Boy Advance - April 5
20. Yoshi's Crafted World - Switch - April 10
21. Wargroove - Switch - April 26

May (8 Games Beaten)
22. Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen - Switch - May 5
23. Battlefield V - PlayStation 4 - May 9
24. Timespinner - PlayStation 4 - May 12
25. Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain - PlayStation 4 - May 17
26. Shenmue - PlayStation 4 - May 19
27. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht - PlayStation 2 - May 26
28. Team Sonic Racing - Switch - May 29
29. Xenosaga Episode II: Jenseits von Gut und Böse - PlayStation 2 - May 30

June (5 Games Beaten)
30. Xenosaga Episode III: Also Sprache Zarathustra - PlayStation 2 - June 2
31. Gato Roboto - Switch - June 3
32. Katana Zero - Switch - June 4
33. The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct - Wii U - June 8
34. Dark Savior - Saturn - June 12

July (12 Games Beaten)
35. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim - Switch - June 7
36. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dragonborn - Switch - June 7
37. The Elder Scrolls V: Skryim: Dawnguard - Switch - June 7
38. Tiny Troopers - Switch - July 8
39. Tiny Troopers 2: Special Ops - Switch - July 8
40. Persona Q2: New Cinema Labyrinth - 3DS - July 10
41. Super Robot Wars T - Switch - July 13
42. Super Mario Maker 2 - Switch - July 13
43. Command and Conquer - Saturn - July 16
44. Command and Conquer: Covert Operations - PC - July 16
45. Super Neptunia RPG - PlayStation 4 - July 18
46. My Girlfriend is a Mermaid!? - Switch - July 19

August (5 Games Beaten)
47. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch - August 10
48. Wolfenstein Youngblood - Xbox One - August 24
49. Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem - DS - August 27
51. Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles - SNES - August 31

51. Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles - SNES - August 31

Fire Emblem: Archanean War Chronicles, more commonly known simply as "BS Fire Emblem," was a short series of four maps taking place in the two years preceding the events of the first Fire Emblem game that were available only via the Satellaview satellite download service in Japan. Because of the limited time workings of the Satellaview broadcasts, it's a serious pain in the ass to find a working ROM of these four maps, but with enough stubborn determination, it can be done. If you don't feel like dealing with that stubborn determination, however, you can also play them on the (sadly Japan exclusive) Fire Emblem: New Mystery of the Emblem on DS.

Because these were intended as bonus challenge maps, they're significantly more difficult than your normal Fire Emblem maps. These are basically late game challenge right from the get go. Compound that with the fact that you don't have the benefit of having a whole game to train up characters' experience and stockpile some better weapons, and yeah, you're in for some challenge. Patience, careful strategy, and the favor of the RNG gods are absolutely required for success here. Visually, they look pretty much exactly like the other three Fire Emblem games that saw release on the Super Nintendo, so expect that level of sprite detail.

The first map has you play as Princess Nyna and a small handful of loyal knights as they struggle to escape from Archanea Palace when it falls to Dolhr's troops. The second map sees Minerva team up with her enemy, Hardin, and save a village near Aurelis from attacking bandits (although Minerva doesn't know that the man she's working with is Hardin). In the third map, Lena and Rickard, accompany by Castor and Navarre, sneak past Dolhr's soldiers into Archanea's palace and look what treasure they can. The fourth and final map show Nyna's escape into Aurelis with the help of Grust's famed General Camus just prior to the events of the first game.

BS Fire Emblem is a nice ride if you want a good challenge that really pushes you to plan carefully (but mainly be freakishly lucky), but unless you're a hardcore Fire Emblem fan, there's nothing here really worth seeking out. If you want a brutal challenge, just play Fire Emblem: Fates - Conquest. If you want to flex your SNES muscles, play the cheap and easy to find Mystery of the Emblem or Genealogy of the Holy War. With how much of a pain it is just to find a working ROM let alone one in English, if you REALLY want to play through these maps, you're way better of playing the versions included with New Mystery of the Emblem. It's a solid little map pack, but there just isn't a whole lot if incentive to jump through the hoops required to play it on original hardware or a SNES emulator.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming