alienjesus wrote:Bottom tier: Avoid at all costs
51. Kid Chameleon

You simply love to see it.

And nice job clearing all that shit.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2019

by prfsnl_gmr Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Agreed. Those reviews and your gargantuan effort to clear an entire collection of Genesis games are mind-blowing. Awesome work, AJ!
chupon
Next-Gen

by chupon Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:03 pm

I still can’t believe you fail to see greatness of Kid Chameleon. How long did you play it?

Beating it with the Blue Lake Woods warp doesn’t count.
Buy / Sell / Trade List: viewtopic.php?t=17958
Last updated: 11-10-16

PS3 ID: dakkenblackblade 360 ID: dakkenblackblad
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:59 pm

chupon wrote:I still can’t believe you fail to see greatness of Kid Chameleon. How long did you play it?

Beating it with the Blue Lake Woods warp doesn’t count.

I played it until I beat it. Thats why its on the list.

I don't know how to access the warps. I did it the long way. I reckon it took about 3 and a half hours at least.

I don't get why it's such a sticking point that I disliked it. Worst game I've beaten in a long long time :?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:10 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2019 Beaten Games:
Previously: 2016 2017 2018
* indicates a repeat

1. Night Slashers (Switch)
2. Bye-Bye BOXBOY! (3DS)
3. GTA4: The Ballad of Gay Tony (Xbox 360)
4. Katamari Forever (PS3)
5. Detention (PS4)
6. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) *
7. OctoDad: Dadliest Catch (PS4) *
8. FlintHook (Switch)
9. God of War (PS4)
10. God of War HD (PS3)
11. Tiny Barbarian DX (Switch)
12. God of War 2 HD (PS3)
13. Starlink (Switch)
14. Shin Gundam Musou (PS3)
15. Battle & Get! Pokemon Typing DS (DS)
16. Banjo-Kazooie (N64) *
17. Super Mario 64: Rumble Edition (N64)
18. Mario Party 3 (N64) *
19. Paper Mario (N64) *
20. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES) *
21. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening DX (GBC) *
22. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages (GBC) *
23. The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (GBC) *
24. Yoshi's Island (SNES) *
25. Super Mario World (SNES) *
26. Super Mario RPG (SFC) *
27. Kaeru No Tame Ni Kane Wa Naru (GB)
28. Final Fantasy VI (SFC) *
29. Final Fantasy IV (SFC) *
30. Final Fantasy V (SFC)
31. Final Fantasy III (Famicom)
32. Mother 2 (SFC) *
33. Mother 3 (GBA) *
34. Hebereke (Famicom)
35. Donkey Kong Country 2 (SFC)
36. Donkey Kong Country 3 (SFC)
37. Donkey Kong Country (SFC) *
38. Wario's Woods (Famicom)
39. Paper Mario: Color Splash (Wii U)
40. Mario & Luigi: Paper Jam (3DS)
41. Luigi's Mansion (3DS) *
42. Paper Mario: Sticker Star (3DS)
43. Mario & Luigi Superstar Saga & Bowser's Minions (3DS)
44. Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story & Bowser Jr's Journey (3DS)
45. Tomato Adventure (GBA)
46. Corpse Party (PSP)
47. Rave Master: Fighting Live (GC)
48. Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow (GBA) *
49. Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (GBA)
50. Castlevania: Harmony of Dissonance (GBA) *
51. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
52. The Outer Worlds (Xbone)
53. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (Xbone)
54. Guacamelee 2 (Xbone)
55. Steamworld Dig 2 (Xbone)
56. Yoku's Island Express (Xbone)
57. Guacamelee (Xbone) *
58. Blazing Chrome (Xbone)
59. Minit (Xbone)
60. Dishonored 2 (Xbone)

61. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (Xbone)

I remember really liking the first of the Deus Ex reboots when I played it a few years back, so I was excited to see the sequel that I never got around to available to play Game Pass. I figured I'd like this too but didn't know how much, and it ended up being one of my favorite games I've played this year. I did a stealth (no alarms) non-lethal run on normal difficulty doing all the side missions and lots of exploring, and it took me around 43 hours.

A continuation of the first game, Human Revolution, this game follows Adam Jensen as he continues to try and uncover and stop the conspiracy against augmented humans and the rest of the world by the shadowy Illuminati. He's a member of Task Force 29, a UN task force that's a counter-terrorism agency with global jurisdiction. Working out of Prague, a hotbed of anit-augmented and pro-augmented divisiveness, it's your mission to try and stop the bloodshed while also uncovering who's really orchestrating it in the first place. The game has a 12 minute recap of the events of the first game you can choose to watch if you want. I chose to and was promptly reminded just how little of the first game I remembered, so I'm glad it was there XD. Regardless, the plot of the first game doesn't impact this one THAT much. You'll be able to follow this game just fine without having played the first one, even without watching the recap, but having that context will definitely help the world and events in it (not to mention several side characters who are returning cast from the first game) make more sense.

The foundation of Mankind Divided's plot is the unjust discrimination facing mechanically augmented people after an Illuminati plot caused their neuro-circuitry to malfunction and send them into violent frenzies two years before the plot of this game. It does this using a lot of cues from real-world prejudice and institutions, and I think it pulls it off fairly well. The Illuminati being framed as the cause of the division from the very start of the game (it even opens on an Illuminati meeting only the audience is privy to) does a nice job of framing these divisions as institutional and not simply the fault of certain individuals. It has plenty of bad actors on both sides (both those who hate the augmented and want to see them suffer as well as augmented retaliating for how shitty they're treated but in irredeemable ways), but the constant context of Jensen's mission is that they are victims of a system designed to act against all of their interests. It's certainly not perfect (it basically ignores any connotations of things like race and being augmented or not is the sole source of prejudice in this alternate history of the world), but I think it deals with the themes well from the perspective it takes on things. I honestly got fairly similar feelings to it that I did from The Outer Worlds, in that the people at the top are the only really "evil" ones pitting the rest of society against itself.

The other aspects of the writing, characters and world building, I really enjoyed. The game has a lot of great minor and major characters (some I wish were in the game more than they were, to be honest) that really add a lot of color to 2029 Prague. The books you find lying around and TV reports you can watch (and even many conversations you can overhear) are also fun to peek into for glimpses at the wider world outside of Jensen's mission. There are little references to things from the original Deus Ex games here and there, from characters to organization names, but nothing really major. It does a good job of standing on its own divorced from the original games, and telling a story whose stakes feel engaging even though things like knowledge of a conspiracy are a constant known factor (and therefore can't be used for a twist).

The gameplay parts of Deus Ex are very similar to the previous Deus Ex: Human Revolution, but more specifically the Director's Cut of Human Revolution. It's a first person action game not unlike Dishonored, where the option to do things lethally or non-lethally is always present. Unlike the original Human Revolution, any "boss" encounters can be dealt with non-lethally, and there is always an option forward for whatever kind of playthrough you're going for (stealth, guns blazing, non-lethal, etc). There's only one real boss in the game, as opposed to the three of Human Revolution, and it's not a forced combat scenario that screws over people who opted to go entirely into hacking/stealth like the original Human Revolution did. Weaved into their place are debates that Jensen can have (he was captain of the debate team in high school XD) with important NPCs, like he could in the first game. The main difference here is that he can also have them with important enemy NPCs, and can deescalate a problem before it even becomes violent if you say the right things (and this is made even easier with an augmentation). Where I found a lot of the debates in the first game super easy, they were much more difficult in this game, and the "correct" option was far more difficult to pinpoint.

This being a sequel to Human Revolution, there are of course tons of augmentations you can give Adam Jensen to boost his capabilities in everything from hacking to stealthing to shooting. Leveling up from fighting enemies, completing quests, or even just exploring gives you Praxis points which are skill points that can be fed into these. Praxis cards can also be found around the world if you explore enough, allowing for free level ups if you hunt around. You start out the game fairly tooled up, and quickly gain access to a whole new series of augmentations. These new augmentations, as was the case in the last game, mostly lend themselves to a guns blazing-style playthrough, but far from all, and I never really had the problem as I did in the first game of having way too many skill points and basically nothing useful to spend them on because they were useless for stealth.

I did a stealth playthrough, so I can't really comment on the action elements, but the stealth elements work great. They're great at communicating information clearly to the player about when they're being noticed and from where, and cover is always advantageous in the player's favor. Whenever you're noticed, it's 100% your fault. As a big fan of stealth games with action options, I found this game scratched that itch perfectly for me.

Performance and presentation wise, this game definitely shows its age. It's a game from 2016, but it clearly reuses a lot of animations and models from Human Revolution. NPC's dialogue often doesn't match up with how their lips say it (although it does sometimes, mostly on important characters), and the NPCs have a very video gamey style to their body language in conversations. The game stutters a little bit from time to time on my base-model Xbox One, but it otherwise ran fine and the loading time are pretty quick too (at least compared to Dishonored 2, which came out the same year). It's a fairly pretty game, but it's hardly The Witcher 3. The music does a good job of setting the atmosphere and tone, but it's nothing you'll wanna put on your MP3 player, I'd imagine.

Verdict: Highly Recommended. Easily the new #2 spot in my favorite games I've played this year. This is a stellar stealth/action game with great writing and it's a damn shame we'll never get any more of it (unless Squenix suddenly decides to revive it, I suppose). Regardless, the story feels satisfying even with the tiny cliffhangers at the end, and if you like stealth/action games, this is a great choice to pick up, especially if you have the option to dip into it for free with Game Pass like I did~
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:37 pm

First 50:
1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC
40. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC
41. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch
42. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PC
43. Ion Fury - PC
44. Final Fantasy Adventure - GB
45. Astral Chain - Switch
46. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - PC
47. Blasphemous - Switch
48. Daemon x Machina - Switch
49. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch
50. Borderlands 3 - PC

51. Valfaris - Switch
52. Unreal: Return to Na Pali - PC
53. The Outer Worlds - PC
54. MechWarrior 4: Black Knight - PC
55. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: System Rift - PC
57. MDK - PC
58. Pokémon Sword - Switch
59. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PC
60. Blazing Chrome - Switch
61. MDK 2 - PC
62. Heavy Gear - PC

After losing the license to MechWarrior Activision decided that they could squeeze one more game out of the MechWarrior 2 engine, so they licensed a fairly new mech IP from a Canadian company called Heavy Gear. Now, the mechanics of the mechs in Heavy Gear are rather different from MechWarrior, but that didn't stop Activision from forcing it into place. Add in some engine enhancements and a bunch of FMV cutscenes between missions and you have a one step forward, two steps back situation.

The basic story is that you're a pilot on a giant land ship who engages in a series of missions against another enemy land ship. It sort of seems to be going for the feel of two carrier forces slowly trying to wear each other down, and it mostly succeeds at that. However, the story presentation is shockingly weaker than the story presentation of the MechWarrior 2 trilogy. Most of the story budget is spent on some mildly competent FMVs that focus on your CO being pissed because his son was a dumbass and got killed on your watch. They never really pay any attention as to why the enemy force is in the area, just some nods to the fact they are there and need to be sploded. There's also a betrayal plot that comes completely out of left field. It's got that feel of a studio that suddenly has a budget to tell a story but not to actually hire people who know HOW to tell a story.

Mechanically the game is a big old pile of jank. Let's start with the good. They've improved the radio communications from the MW2 trilogy by making it more integral to the interface and easier to use (though they drop the command all radio option). They've added a special radio menu for mission specific calls. This could be calling in an air strike or telling a unit to move up to a waypoint you've cleared. For the most part it serves as a way to give the player control over NPC movement triggers, rather than you suddenly discovering the AI going suicidal and getting your mission failed.

Now for the bad. The Heavy Gear universe uses smaller mechs than MechWarrior; they're closer to powered armor (though still large enough to be proper mechs). This means that unlike MechWarrior, where 'Mechs are king of the battlefield, here tanks are still deadly, with the Gears having the advantage of mobility. The biggest way this manifests is in the armor system. Unlike the straight ablative armor "deal X damage to remove X armor points" system it uses a system of "you must do this much damage to penetrate". Gears have armor in the realm of 50-150 mm, while tanks have armor in the realm of 100-300 mm. This means about half your arsenal, while effective against enemy Gears, bounces off tank armor. Once you're past armor, though, most things die EXTREMELY fast. The best anti-tank gun in the game kills tanks in two to three shots and Gears in one shot to the center. Since time to kill is so low you're incentivized to go for big damage items, because the longer you let enemies live the more time they have to kill you (which is bad).

The game has an Armored Core-esque customization system. You can build a mech by combining a torso, engine, arms, legs, and head to build your frame, then equip weapons. Your frame will give you a maximum weight tolerance, and if you go over that you rapidly lose speed. In terms of weaponry, you get a primary weapon wielded in the right hand (which is your bread and butter), and then access to grenades (which suck), shoulder ordinance launchers, and some chest missiles. The game actually has a neat system for arcing weaponry; the reticle has indications of whether you need to aim up or down to hit your target, though it's still a crap shoot on anything moving. Mid-battle you have the option of dropping your primary weapon and picking up one another Gear dropped, which is important in late game missions when you run out of ammo.

Oh, remember how I mentioned that you die fast? It's not just from the weaponry. If you clip your wonky hitbox on a structure you'll also rapidly fuck yourself over. It's not that weaponry is deadly, it's that everything is weak. The game also models a bunch of critical hit effects like losing your HUD (hope you are at the "get to the last waypoint but everything is dead" objective), falling over, or just temporarily shutting down. It's much more punishing than MechWarrior's crits, because you have less components to be damaged and the damage is more debilitating.

The game has a reasonable length to it. The missions on average are faster than MW2 missions, though near the end you start getting some really long odds, and the final boss blatantly cheats (as in, has a unique weapon and has fucktons of armor). There's also parts of the mission story that don't make a lot of sense; you sneak up and do big damage to the enemy ship multiple times, but it's never enough to actually do anything to it in the long run. The game is just missing that special spark that made MechWarrior 2 trilogy so good.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:39 pm

First 50:
1. Octopath Traveler - Switch
2. Dusk - PC
3. Forsaken Remastered - PC
4. Tales of Eternia - PS1
5. Resident Evil 2 (2019) - PC
6. Pokémon Trading Card Game - GBC
7. Metro Exodus - PC
8. Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales - PC
9. Project Warlock - PC
10. Magic: The Gathering - PC
11. Ghost 1.0 - PC
12. Call of Duty 2 - PC
13. Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice - PS4
14. Revelations: The Demon Slayer - GBC
15. Mechstermination Force - Switch
16. Shadow Warrior Classic Redux - PC
17. Lost Sphear - Switch
18. Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal - PC
19. Dragon Quest III - NES
20. Rage 2 - PC
21. Blood - PC
22. Harvest Moon 64 - N64
23. Battlefield V - PC
24. Sigil - PC
25. Shining Force III: Scenario 2 - Saturn
26. Shining Force III: Scenario 3 - Saturn
27. Borderlands 2: Commander Lillith and the Fight for Sanctuary - PC
28. Gato Roboto - Switch
29. Timespinner - Switch
30. Amid Evil - PC
31. Pillars of Eternity II: Beast of Winter - PC
32. Pillars of Eternity II: Seeker, Slayer, Survivor - PC
33. Pillars of Eternity II: The Forgotten Sanctum - PC
34. Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night - Switch
35. Orphan - PC
36. Project Nimbus - PC
37. Hardcore Mecha - PC
38. Grey Goo - PC
39. Giants: Citizen Kabuto - PC
40. Wolfenstein: Youngblood - PC
41. Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Switch
42. Metal Wolf Chaos XD - PC
43. Ion Fury - PC
44. Final Fantasy Adventure - GB
45. Astral Chain - Switch
46. Rebel Galaxy Outlaw - PC
47. Blasphemous - Switch
48. Daemon x Machina - Switch
49. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening - Switch
50. Borderlands 3 - PC

51. Valfaris - Switch
52. Unreal: Return to Na Pali - PC
53. The Outer Worlds - PC
54. MechWarrior 4: Black Knight - PC
55. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare - PC
56. Deus Ex: Mankind Divided: System Rift - PC
57. MDK - PC
58. Pokémon Sword - Switch
59. Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order - PC
60. Blazing Chrome - Switch
61. MDK 2 - PC
62. Heavy Gear - PC
63. Virtual-On - Saturn

I first encountered Virtual-On at a Dave & Buster's; the big cabinet with the twin sticks looked awesome. And it played awesome. Then my grandmother got a new PC and it came with Virtual-On as a pack-in game. It was awesome getting to play it again, though playing it on a keyboard was hard as hell. So when I eventually got a Saturn I had to get a copy. Finally got around to beating it and I remembered why I hadn't until now; that last boss is a total dick.

Virtual-On is a one-on-one fighting game between two robots in a behind-the-back perspective in a 3D arena. Each bot has a right hand weapon, a left hand weapon, and an extra powerful center weapon triggered by using both right and left at the same time. They each have their own ammo meter that decreases when you use them (and the center is one shot). You also have the ability to dash in a direction, as well as jump in the air briefly. Combining movement and weapons gives you different firing modes; standing still might be a single shot, while when dashing might cause a rapid fire stream where each one deals much less damage. Taking advantage of these varieties is important in order to win.

The game has two bosses, but one is optional. Midway through the game, if you haven't done well enough, you fight against a nasty boss who spams a ton of damage out that can be quite hard to dodge. Interestingly, the boss gets easier with each restart (and shrinks in size). Then after a second wave of fighters you go up against the final boss, who is a right dick. Like the mid boss it is very spammy with its attacks, but it also only takes scratch damage. Twice during the fight it turns golden and sweeps a quarter of the arena with an instant death laser; while he's doing this he finally takes real damage. Afterwards he takes slightly more damage than before, but unless you were able to time things properly you'll need to use the second golden phase to kill it before time is up. The level of spam plus requirements for burst damage really affects who you can use to have a good shot of winning.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Gunstar Green
Next-Gen

by Gunstar Green Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:05 pm

MrPopo wrote:Heavy Gear stuff...

I remember liking the random mode where you have to purchase upgrades like in Armored Core when I was a kid, I think it's called "tour of duty" if I remember correctly? Especially because you can play either side of the war. It was ultimately entirely pointless though because I don't think the missions ever ended or amounted to anything.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:34 pm

Yeah, the Tour of Duty lets you play either side, which gives you different HUDs, interestingly enough. But it's all Instant Action stuff.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:42 pm

First 75
1. The Legend of Zelda: Four Swords Anniversary (NDS)
2. Reigns (iOS)
3. Castlevania: The Adventure (GB)
4. Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (GB)
5. Castlevania Legends (GB)
6. Yankai’s Triangle (iOS)
7. Mega Man III (GB)
8. Mega Man IV (GB)
9. Mega Man V (GB)
10. Sin & Punishment (N64)
11. Love You to Bits (iOS)
12. Mega Man Powered Up - Old Style (PSP)
13. Mega Man Powered Up - New Style (PSP)
14. Mario vs. Donkey Kong (GBA)
15. Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2: March of the Minis (NDS)
16. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! (NDS)
17. Detective Pikachu (3DS)
18. Super Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
19. Fantasy Zone Gear (GG)
20. Fantasy Zone - The Maze (SMS)
21. Fantasy Zone (Famicom)
22. Fantasy Zone (NES)
23. Kung Fu Master (2600)
24. Kid Dracula (Famicom)
25. Kid Dracula (GB)
26. Fantasy Zone (TG16)
27. Double Dragon V (SNES)
28. Fantasy Zone II (Famicom)
29. Street Fighter: The Movie (PS1)
30. Fire Fly (2600)
31. Pac Man (2600)
32. Extreme Sports with the Berenstain Bears (GBC)
33. Fantasy Zone (PS2)
34. Space Fantasy Zone (TG16)
35. Arnold Palmer Tournament Golf Fantasy Zone (Genesis)
36. Mega Man (GG)
37. Konami Pixel Puzzle (iOS)
38. Qix (Arcade/NES)
39. Congo Bongo (Arcade)
40. Phantasy Star Gaiden (GG)
41. Phantasy Star Adventure (GG)
42. Panzer Dragoon Mini (GG)
43. Spartan X-2 (Famicom)
44. BS The Legend of Zelda: The Ancient Stone Tablets (Super Famicom)
45. BS The Legend of Zelda (Super Famicom)
46. Mario vs. Donkey Kong: Mini-Land Mayhem! (NDS)
47. Double Dribble (NES)
48. Super Pro Football (INTV)
49. Indy 500 (2600)
50. Tecmo Bowl (NES)
51. Ninja Gaiden (GG)
52. SonSon (Arcade)
53. Wonder Girl: The Dragon’s Trap (iOS)
54. Minit (iOS)
55. Ninja Gaiden (SMS)
56. Surround (2600)
57. Pocket Bomberman (GBC)
58. Dr. Mario World (iOS)
59. Shadowgate (iOS)
60. Kuru Kuru Kururin (GBA)
61. Metroid Prime Hunters - First Hunt (NDS)
62. Mekorama (iOS)
63. Castlevania: The Dracula X Chronicles (PSP)
64. Akamajou Dracula Peke (TG16)
65. Darius Burst (iOS)
66. DoDonPachi Resurrection HD (iOS)
67. Vigilante (TG16)
68. The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword (Wii)
69. Oxenfree (iOS)
70. Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (NES)
71. Tormentum: Dark Sorrow (iOS)
72. Hidden Folks (iOS)
73. 3D Classics Urban Champion (3DS)
74. Ufouria (NES)
75. Eternal Ring (PS2)

76. Super Phantom Cat (iOS)
77. Vectorman (Genesis)
78. The Room: Old Sins (iOS)
79. Wolf Fang (PS1)
80. Vectorman 2 (Genesis)

Wolf Fang is a solid port of an OK arcade game. In it, you pilot a mech and shoot everything that moves for about five levels. You can pick different load outs, and two players can play simultaneously. The coolest part, IMO, is that when your life runs out, you pop out of the mech, Blaster Master-style, and continue fighting. You can only take one hit, and your firepower’s reduced by half, but your hit box is drastically smaller. Otherwise, the game is forgettably fun. There are a few baffling design choices - Why can’t I shoot up? - and the game auto-scrolls a bit too fast not to allow movement all over the screen. It’s still a fun way to spend a half an hour, and about nine credits, however.

Vectorman 2 is just like Vectorman, but a little worse in every way. (The final boss is mercifully easier, however.) There are some cool graphical effects - the lighting effect in the first few, brutally difficult levels are impressive - but they’re not as cool as the semi-FMV toward the end of the first game. The difficulty varies wildly from level to level, and the game is way too long. Moreover, there are even more blind jumps and unexpected deaths. Not recommended.
Return to General Gaming