Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Ack Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:26 am

First 50:
1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
46. Risen (PC)(RPG)
47. Shadowgrounds (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
48. Shadowrun Returns (PC)(RPG)
49. Mobile Forces (PC)(FPS)

50. Tower of Guns (PC)(FPS)

51. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC)(FPS)
52. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (PC)(FPS)

53. 9:05 (PC)(Text Adventure)
54. Mercenary Kings (PC)(Run and Gun)
55. Super Pinball: Behind the Mask (SNES)(Pinball)
56. Pinocchio (SNES)(Platformer)
57. Iron Brigade (PC)(Tower Defense/TPS)
58. Iron Brigade: Rise of the Martian Bear (PC)(Tower Defense/TPS)

59. Anachronox (PC)(RPG)
60. Banished (PC)(Strategy)
61. Rune (PC)(Action)

Tonight I dine in Valhalla.

Rune is a third-person action game released by Human Head Studios in 2000 which combines a view of Norse mythology, hack-and-slash inspired combat, 3D platforming, and excessive violence in a modified version of the Unreal Engine. The player takes on the role of Ragnar, the last of the Odinsblade, after his fellow villagers are slaughtered and their longboat sunk by the treacherous Conrack using the power of Loki. Odin keeps Ragnar alive and has him swim to safety in an underwater cave, ordering him to make it back to the surface to confront Conrack. What follows is a surprisingly extensive journey where Ragnar faces hordes of goblins, the undead, dwarves, Conrack's soldiers, and eventually Loki's mutated army of dishonored souls. The levels fly by though, and they work to form one long continuous trip through the underworld, caves, snowy mountains, hidden fortresses, and eventually to the chamber that holds Loki and the last of Odin's runestones keeping Loki prisoner.

Really though, if you're interested in this game, it's less because of the platforming and more for the combat. And there is a lot of combat. A LOT OF COMBAT. It's the real meat of the game, much more so than the puzzles and platforming aspects. To fight, you have to wield a weapon, which you will most likely gather off of a fallen enemy. There are three weapon classes: sword, axe, and mace. Each weapon class has five weapons contained in it, the first three of which are one-handed while the last two are two-handed, meaning you cannot also carry a shield that you have pried from the cold, dead hands of your enemies. Each weapon has variable speed and power, usually ranging from lighter weapons doing less damage to heavier, slower weapons which take a wind up but then easily fell an enemy. A few weapons change your stance, resulting in your shield position changing. Weapons also vary in sizes, changing your effective range. While generally speaking I found bigger to be better for my playstyle, I cannot deny that nearly every weapon in your repertoire remains useful and balanced.

Weapons also have magical abilities associated with them, which are powered through runes. Each weapon's ability is unique to that weapon, so the lightweight Roman Sword does something very different from the Viking Sword which might necessitate its use in certain player's combat styles. Typically I did my best to not rely on rune powers to win, but that is how I preferred to play the game; your mileage may vary, but all weapons are worth experimenting with to get a feel for whether you like it. We're still not done yet either, as every weapon in the game can be thrown at your opponent to do damage from afar, quickly shatter a shield, or possibly slow the enemies in their tracks. A thrown weapon is dropped from your inventory, but you can easily pick it back up or replace it with another weapon of the same type further down the line.

If you want more defensive options, shields can be grabbed off the ground, off the walls, off weapon racks or looted from corpses, but these can only be used alongside certain weapon classes, and they vary in durability and size. Shields offer a nice passive defense on whichever side it is found on, but look out, that durability wears out! Once your shield breaks, it's gone, and you have to go find a new one to replace it, which might be tough because you can just as easily break an opponent's shield too.

In combat your weapons typically only have a handful of attacks, but some attacks can be linked in combos, and different weapons may offer different attacks depending on how you are moving. Running side to side with a sword will cause you to swing side to side; this became my bread and butter, as I would dash past opponents to get in a quick slice and dance out of range or occasionally decapitate an enemy. Yes, you can decapitate and dismember enemies. Even better, you can think pick up their severed limbs or heads to use as crude weapons. A dwarf pissing you off? Lob off his buddy's head and chuck it at him. If you really don't like someone, you can also rip the torches off the walls and light people on fire or trick them into wandering into the myriad of traps and pits. Hey, the world is your oyster, and it tastes of saltwater and sweet, sweet murder.

How does it compare to the likes of Die by the Sword? Well, it doesn't have nearly the amount of options for weapon strikes, but Rune gets things incredibly right. Once you have your style down, you have it, and woe be to anything standing in your way. That's not to say the enemies are slouches however, and they will often through curve balls to keep you on your toes or attack en masse. Some of them are terrifyingly mobile or do massive amounts of damage, and even a single goblin can do damage to an unwary player. But you're not unwary, are you? No, you're playing this so you can bathe in blood and entrails.

Overall I enjoyed Rune. I enjoyed Rune a lot. Once you get the hang of things, it feels really good to play. It kicked my butt for a while, but I learned and soon gave as good as I got to the roving hordes of men and monsters. To add a tiny bit of replayability, you can even make a choice in the very last level to aid either Odin or Loki, though the Loki end is most definitely the bad end. Do you want to walk the rainbow road into Valhalla or be crucified next to the mad god in his earthly prison?

Seriously, I liked it so much, my girlfriend demanded I stop making decapitation jokes. I told her that was no way to get ahead in life. She refused to talk to me for an hour afterward.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:01 pm

I put some time into Rune on PC circa 2001. It's hard for me to remember much about it because that was a while ago. I remember being impressed with the graphics, and especially enjoying that you could dive underwater in the game. I also remember getting burned out quickly on its repetitive gameplay, stopping playing it after about 2 hours. I guess I wasn't as impressed with Rune's gameplay after recently having had so much fun with Heretic II, Severance: Blade of Darkness, and Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.². (I recommend all to you Ack.) I'm not saying Rune isn't a good game though, who knows I might enjoy it more today.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

by Ack Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:07 pm

Exhuminator wrote:I put some time into Rune on PC circa 2001. It's hard for me to remember much about it because that was a while ago. I remember being impressed with the graphics, and especially enjoying that you could dive underwater in the game. I also remember getting burned out quickly on its repetitive gameplay, stopping playing it after about 2 hours. I guess I wasn't as impressed with Rune's gameplay after recently having had so much fun with Heretic II, Severance: Blade of Darkness, and Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.². (I recommend all to you Ack.) I'm not saying Rune isn't a good game though, who knows I might enjoy it more today.

No shame, I think it would be difficult to find anything impressive after viewing Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2's, um, ...assets.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Flake

by Flake Wed Nov 11, 2015 1:30 pm

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
6/18: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU VC/SNES)
9/5: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
9/11: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC/GBC)
10/22: Splatoon (WiiU)
10/27: Street Figher Alpha (Arcade/PS2)
11/3: Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
11/11: Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)

Hyrule Warriors is a great game to play when you're home sick. Fast paced action, constant unlocking of characters, skins, and attacks and a variety of modes to keep the fun but simple gameplay fresh.

Add to that a story mode that shows a typical Zelda tale (Evil shows up, Link and Zelda defeat it, oh no it was Ganon behind it all along, Ganon gets defeated) but from a different perspective as Link is just one of the heroes that Zelda is commanding from her entire army of troops and advisers. As flat and simple as the game is, it is refreshing to feel like you're a part of Hyrule and not just one dude with a sword.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:17 pm

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)
7/1: SteamWorld Dig (Steam)
7/12: Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Steam)
7/13: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
7/14: Retro/Grade (Steam)
8/12: Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4)
8/15: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Steam)
8/25: Ziggurat (Steam)
9/11: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
9/25: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Steam)
9/27: Freedom Planet (GOG)
9/27: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord (GOG)
10/15: Mad Maestro! (PS2)
10/16: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
11/5: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd (PS3)

Total: 34 games

I haven't played the first Project Diva f cause I missed out on it (I couldn't find it before since it was filled under "Jewelry" in Amazon ._.), but wow 2nd is REALLY difficult. Maybe the first is easier so I was supposed to play that first, but the Normal here is more like a Hard to me, so I had to beat everything in Easy first. Normal has a lot of different buttons that you'll need to press, so that plus the very distracting backgrounds (which I think is supposed to be part of the challenge) made the Normal songs impossible for me to beat right away. I can beat a few of them now, but it was certainly a shock to me at first since I'm used to Easy being very dull and Normal being a good starting place for me.

Besides that however, I had a lot of fun with this. It kind of reminded me of Osu! in a way (which I believe is based off of Elite Beat Agents), where the buttons you need to hit will appear all over the screen and will have a little indicator on when you'll need to press that button. It's much faster and hectic than Osu!, but that's not a bad thing for me.

The song selection wasn't too bad either, although I was a bit disappointed on how few KAITO and MEIKO songs there were. Yeah, Miku's name is in the title but I still can't help being a little disappointed. I'm just being a little nitpicky though, cause I really did like most of the songs (other than maybe World is Mine yuck).

So overall, difficult but I'm definitely going to play a lot more of this in the future.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Wed Nov 11, 2015 4:56 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:I haven't played the first Project Diva f cause I missed out on it (I couldn't find it before since it was filled under "Jewelry" in Amazon ._.), but wow 2nd is REALLY difficult. Maybe the first is easier so I was supposed to play that first, but the Normal here is more like a Hard to me, so I had to beat everything in Easy first. Normal has a lot of different buttons that you'll need to press, so that plus the very distracting backgrounds (which I think is supposed to be part of the challenge) made the Normal songs impossible for me to beat right away. I can beat a few of them now, but it was certainly a shock to me at first since I'm used to Easy being very dull and Normal being a good starting place for me.

I love this game (it was my game of the year last year and it's probably in my top 10 of all time) and it's interesting to have a different perspective on it. I think the difficulty is perhaps a little high for new starters maybe, but I personally find it kinda boring having to play Normal to unlock Hard and Extreme. For a challenge this time I perfected all the songs on Normal before I advanced to Hard. I only really play on Extreme difficulty now though.

I think there is a decent selection of KAITO and MEIKO songs available. The extra songs DLC for the game is great too, but it is unfortunately quite pricy.

I think the first game is a fantastic game too. The song list is a bit smaller, but I think it's more consistent in quality too. The difficulty is a bit easier I feel too, but not hugely so.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:18 pm

^Interesting... The difficulty is probably just me then, since I'm more used to rhythm games with 4 buttons or less to deal with (like DDR, Taiko Drum Master, Mad Maestro! etc). It's a lot for me to juggle the four buttons, four buttons+Dpad combos, and the star flicks all at the same time.

I do really like the game as well though, if I didn't state that very well. I tend to not be very good at explaining things I like ><;
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:37 am

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES
67. Septerra Core - PC
68. Metal Warriors - SNES
69. Zelda II - The Adventure of Link - NES
70. Anachronox - PC
71. Faxanadu - NES
72. Adventures of Lolo - NES
73. Ninja Gaiden 2 - NES
74. Half Minute Hero: The Second Coming - PC
75. Mega Man 5 - NES
76. MechWarrior 3 - PC
77. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - NES
78. Faria - NES
79. Rebel Galaxy - PC
80. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles 2: The Arcade Game - NES
81. Grim Fandango - PC
82. StarCraft II: Legacy of the Void - PC

Well, the StarCraft II trilogy is complete. And this game actually gives a pretty definitive ending to basically everything they were doing in StarCraft I and II. There's still some potential things they could do if they wanted to make more stories, but they do a good job of wrapping things up.

Like the first two installments the game focuses on a single race, in this case the Protoss. They take advantage of the fact that single player is not multiplayer to give you access to a bunch of units that may or may not be properly balanced. Legacy of the Void goes with a system of every unit having three variations that you can choose from between missions (and can change at any time). Some of the variations give a change in ability, such as the Zealots having either a whirlwind attack or self revive. Others are complete changes in units, such as choosing between the Stalker and the Dragoon. The other ability the game gives you is access to support abilities from the Spear of Adun, your command ship. These unlock over time and cost a resource that is picked up as bonus objectives. During the mission there is an energy counter that slowly ticks up. Once you have enough you can activate one of the abilities. These include things like instant pylons and death beams from space. There are also a couple of passive abilities you can set, such as automatic vespene collection and a shield that saves units from death.

The main Protoss campaign follows an arc as you battle against Amon's corrupting influence. At the end you wrap up things with that arc, but there are still a few lingering threads. Those then get picked up in the three mission epilogue, where you do one mission as each race for a final hurrah.

No idea how the multiplayer is because multiplayer StarCraft scares me.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sload Soap
Next-Gen

by Sload Soap Fri Nov 13, 2015 1:05 pm

Aladdin (GBC)
A port of the Mega Drive version and a pretty decent one at that all things considered. It skips out the 8th level set in the genie's lamp though that is to be expected as it is the most complicated level mechanically. It also drops the Iago boss fight and Jafar's second form when he becomes all snake-like. It's very enjoyable for a fan of the MD version like me, though some of the music has that GBC tinniness and becomes grating. Not to be confused with the regular Game Boy version which has differently drawn graphics IRC.

Bedlam: The Game by Christopher Brookmyre (Xbox One)
Interesting but flawed FPS game where you move through levels styled around classic FPS games. Starting off in a Quake 2 parody, you move through to Call Of Duty/Medal of Honor then a slight diversion into some old school arcade games (Pac-Man and Space Invaders) followed by Skyrim (I think, it's very generically fantasy) and Halo type worlds.

It's kind of interesting in how it lets you take weapons from one world to the next so you can super-shotgun Nazi's and mow down skeletons with a Sten gun but it also falls into that trap Evoland and Life of Pixel did in that it merely presents these wildly different and varied FPS games as background dressing with little actual exploration of the mechanics that set them apart. There are a few instances where the game does attempt some sort of commentary but these are unfortunately few and far between.

The plot that frames this design choice is actually fairly decent and is well voice acted by some very sweary Scotsmen and Scotswomen but again it is just a framework. The flesh on the framework, the gameplay, is often a bit shaky with guns that feel underpowered or sometimes just useless. There's also a lot of bad platforming, something that I thought may have been deliberate but as the game goes on and these sections get longer and feature more instant deaths, well lets just say that joke stopped being funny.

Not bad but again, like the aforementioned Evoland and Life of Pixel I can't help but feel there's a missed opportunity here. The Pac-Man themed level is a stand-out though for turning a previously innocuous arcade game into something close to a horror game simply by switching the perspective.

The Last Of Us (PS3)
I'll probably get some flak for this but I didn't really like this game. Yes it has absolutely top tier voice acting, graphics, sound design and facial animation. It has moments of genuine beauty and pathos. The Last of Us has a lot to recommend, if it was a movie or TV show.

The problem is that it's a game and as a game, all those interactive bits between the amazing cut-scenes, it's a underwhelming cover-shooter-cum-stealth action title with little you've not seen done better elsewhere. It's not unplayable, far from it, but during my time with TLOU I couldn't remember any moments in the gameplay that gave me the same feel of quality as I got from the cut-scenes. I'm not sure a supposed 10/10 GOTY contender should so obviously telegraph when its next shooting sections are coming up, nor should most puzzles boil down to bumbling around for a wooden pallet for Ellie to stand on to cross a water hazard. There is also a lot of shooting and death and it does that modern action movie thing where a tender character moment will suddenly be interrupted by gunfire/zombie attack triggering another laborious action section. The game's best moments are quieter ones where Ellie and Joel are in each other's company learning to trust one another. I find it a shame Naughty Dog perhaps didn't have the confidence to have a game with more gametime devoted to developing their relationship through gameplay that doesn't involve slaughtering countless people. And if you think that a game like that would be boring or lack any depth, then I shall have to point you in the direction of Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.

Also, those fungus zombies are just zombies. The fungal infection thing is just set dressing. Functionally they behave and act exactly like the zombies you've plowed through in countless other games. Disappointing.

I dunno. Obviously I don't expect the game to play with the sort of spark and energy as Vanquish as that wouldn't really be fitting but I also don't expect passable mechanics to be bolted onto great audiovisual design and have the developer think I'll be completely won over. Considering I've played a few games this year (stand up Metal Gear Solid) where decent gameplay can be uplifted by amazing story or aesthetics shows this formula can and does work. But crucially with MGS it works mostly because those games have interesting quirks and are very replayable. The Last of Us is I feel, a game you play exactly once just for the story and to see what the fuss is about then you set it down and go back to something with some actual substance. I will remember the excellent work Troy Baker did as Joel, the moment you come across the giraffes in a shattered city and the gut punch of the ending. I will not remember however any of the play that lead to those points.

Playstation All-Stars Battle Royale (PS3)
A Smash Bros clone on the surface only, PASBR makes some interesting choices to differentiate itself from Nintendo's behemoth fighting franchise, some that work and some the really don't.

Firstly though, the roster. Now, to be fair, I missed out on most of the PS2 and all of PS3 years but even I have an issue with some of choices here. Big Daddy for one is someone I in no way associate with the Playstation brand and I don't have a bastard clue what that little cat thing is. It's cute, but it ain't no Ice Climber! Also new Dante. No thanks.

There seems to have been a concerted effort to make the game feel more "legit" than Smash Bros in terms of how rounds pan out. You have three attacks buttons of various strengths, a jump button and dedicated block and grab buttons. So far so smash. However, unlike Smash your attacks are less about weakening your opponent and readying them for knock out blow, but rather to power up your own super meter at which point you can unleash a move that will, if it connects, instantly kill one or all of your opponents.

It means that taking damage becomes somehow less important but being positionally aware of your enemies and surroundings becomes very much more. You can basically be wailed on for the entire round but if you can dodge your opponents supers, you can in theory win with only one clean kill. This leads to the games most glaringly obvious problem and that is the number of times matches can devolve into stalemates, supers being attained and then whiffed, opponents merely running from your attacks and no one building up any sort of head of steam to reach the really devastating level 3 screen clearing super moves.

The games also seems to feature some characters who seem obviously better than others. Kratos and Sackboy seems to have a a bevy of strong normal attacks bolstered by easy to execute supers, while playing as Sweet Tooth, who is slow and has weird priority on his supers, can be a real pain. I do appreciate how there has been obvious effort to make characters feel different, long-rangers like Radec certainly forces different play to brawlers like Raiden, but overall there are some standout characters. Which is actually quite like Smash in fairness.

It's not perfect but I found the more time I put in the more I got out. And beating on meatheads like Cole and Kratos with Parappa the Rapper is a pretty joyous thing to behold.

Killzone 3 (PS3)
Nope.

Disney's Aladdin (SMS)
Another day, another Aladdin game. This time the Master System version, which is, not a port. In fact owes more to Prince of Persia than it's 16-bit namesakes. Well insofar as it's a fairly average, albeit very pretty, cinematic platform game. A very short, very pretty cinematic platformer. Oh and very easy. It's not that good is what I'm trying to say.

Split over five levels this version closet follows the story of the film but it lacks either the slick platforming of the SNES game nor the Mega Drive Aladdin's challenge. As a late Master System release (1994!) it looks great and does some exceptional work with parallax scrolling to add depth to the levels. The levels themselves, few as they be, are split between forced scrolling sections where Al must jump obstacles and such, more traditional and POP-esque puzzle platforming and some sections on the carpet, including a lovely recreation of the Whole New World scene, coloured in those fantastic SMS blues and yellows. Swoon.

Jafar actually turns into a snake as well and it trumps even the SNES version by not becoming unbearably laggy. The problem is you'll likely get to and then beat Jafar on your first play through. With infinite continues and very little challenge Disney's Aladdin is over before it begins which is a real shame.

Nights Into Dreams... (Xbox One)
So last night Microsoft updated the OS for the Xbox One and users can now download, for free, some of their old XBLA games. They are just there in the Games menu waiting. Lovely.

Accordingly, and because of the shit weather giving me the hump, I decided to play Nights again. I've not really altered my opinion from when I played it last year and voted it my ninth favourite game of 2014. It's a phenomenal game and there's nothing before or since quite like it. Part cutesy platformer, part arcade rally game, always joyous fun, ocean deep and full of feeling. Sega really don't make them like this anymore.

As far as the transition from 360 to Xbone goes, I could pick out no discernible issues graphically or on the sound and frame rate front.

Sonic The Hedgehog (SMS)
Bless this little game. The Master System might not have the blast processing available to do a proper port of its Mega Drive big brother, so they went the Super Mario Land route and just made a solid platformer featuring the title character instead. Sure, Green Hill, Labyrinth and Scrap Brain zones all show up but they are so far removed from their origins as to be different in all but name.

Sonic on the Master System is one of those weird times, again like the Mario Land games, where stripping back on a few keys assets of the mainline series can actually put more focus on aspects it does really well, that being pure platforming. And more of that luscious SMS colour palette of blues and greens.

Again, like Aladdin, the limitations of the console mean that where once Sonic had 6 stages with three levels a piece, now we have five stages with two levels and the third is entirely dedicated to the boss fight. The levels themselves are shorter and offer far fewer routes to the goal. Chaos emeralds are no longer found in bonus stages (those are reserved for collecting extra lives and continues), rather they can be found somewhat haphazardly placed in the stages themselves. So while you lose one of Sonic's main selling points with the subtraction of the multiple paths (and quite a bit of speed as well) there's more of a laser focus on levels designed the old fashioned way: one route, many obstacles and less opportunity to hold right and hope for the best.

You add in some of the system's best visuals and some amazingly catchy tunes, courtesy of one Yuzo Kushiro (the Bridge theme alone is worth the price of admission) and for me you have the system's best platformer. Less stiff than Psycho Fox, more fair than Alex Kidd and offering much more challenge than Sonic Chaos (which I also recommend). Great game.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Sun Nov 15, 2015 2:13 pm

1. Call of Duty United Offensive Expansion Pack - PC (January 16)
2. Dead To Rights - Gamecube (January 24)
3. River City Ransom EX - GBA (February 21)
4. Call of Duty 2 - PC (February 28) (link missing due to this game's post being wiped during the great RB server move)
5. Quake - PC (March 31)
6. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay - PC (April 5)
7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon - PC (April 18)
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter - PC (May 19)
9. Super Puzzle Fighter II - GBA (May 23)
10. Saints Row The Third - PC (June 24)
11. Konami Krazy Racers - GBA (June 27)
12. Medal of Honor: Airborne - PC (August 13)
13. *NEW* Code Name: Viper (NES) (November 15)

So, Code Name Viper. If you play it, you *know* it's a Capcom-inspired clone of Rolling Thunder, but they were also known for distribution of the Korean RT arcade clone Rough Ranger (developed by SunA).

You play as Kenny Smith, code name Viper, to take down a South American drug syndicate. In each stage, you are tasked to find a missing POW which has a grenade to clear the stage and also a piece of a letter detailing the true mission of the drug syndicate. I read that this game was developed in part by Arc System Works, who also ported the NES version of Rolling Thunder (!), so both games must play exactly the same. This game certainly is as unforgiving as RT can be. Lots of different areas, the same 2 guns, enemies in certain colors that take a certain number of hits or might possibly shoot back. The final level has a bit of a twist once you put together the entire letter, but this is NOT an easy game.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
Return to General Gaming