Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
marurun

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by marurun Tue May 26, 2015 10:32 pm

Well, beat my first game of the year (yes, I'm serious).

Knights of the Old Republic II (with cut content mod)

Fantastic game but not without flaws. The good was overall stronger than the bad, but just because of my own predilections I have a lot more to say about the bad.

First the good:
The characters are very well written, and most of the dialogue is spoken well. There are some really interesting character moments. I also love some of the very complex ideas this game tries to introduce to the Star Wars universe. So, yeah, for the most part the writing is very good and the characters are great. The BioWare combat engine is also pretty good most of the time. It largely works well, with only occasional frustrations (see below).

The bad:
BioWare combat engine with Obsidian at the helm. There were a couple long battles where I could not prevent my teammates from charging off after enemies no matter what I did. Well, scratch that. I could make them stand still and get shot. I could not get them to break off and follow me. This wouldn't have been a problem, except in one VERY hard battle early on, there are groups of enemies just far enough apart that you only fight one group at a time, but near enough together that your allies spot them and then tear off after them right after dispatching the current group. That turned out to be a VERY frustrating experience. I think some of that was Obsidian's design exacerbating weaknesses in the engine Fortunately, the game hands out enough gear that you can turn most of your characters into crazed death machines about midway through the game. By the end of the game my main character had a 40+ Armor Class unbuffed, and topped out at about 55 with various Force buffs. The last boss managed to get two hits in on me and I downed her in 3 rounds of combat.

Also, the plot is too complex to be well-contained by the game. It's clear BioWare had big dreams, but they were on a budget and a timetable, and so content got cut. Some of the cuts between characters or scenes feel very sudden, with no transition at all. Especially later in the game, it can be hard to figure out why there isn't more connective tissue between events. You are rushed from scene to scene at a hectic pace.

Would play again. Absolutely. Might be interesting to toss skills out the window and go full-on combat death machine. I became one by endgame, but it might be nice to be able to tear people apart from step 1.
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue May 26, 2015 11:03 pm

I've always wanted to play through with the restoration mod. I played on XBOX back in the day. I remember enjoying both in the series, of course, and I believe they're the first Western RPGs that I ever finished.
ExedExes
Next-Gen

by ExedExes Tue May 26, 2015 11:25 pm

1. Call of Duty United Offensive Expansion Pack - PC (January 16)
2. Dead To Rights - Gamecube (January 24)
3. River City Ransom EX - GBA (February 21)
4. Call of Duty 2 - PC (February 28) (link missing due to this game's post being wiped during the great RB server move)
5. Quake - PC (March 31)
6. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC) (April 5)
7. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon (PC) (April 18)
8. Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter (PC) (May 19)
9. *NEW* Super Puzzle Fighter II (GBA) (May 23)

I had some time to get back to this, found a character I liked and even though it took me a few tries to do, completed it. This port plays 99% like the arcade, save for the screen size of course, some of the things are a little tough to read, but Atomic Planet nailed this, every aspect and even added cool extra modes and other touches. This was one of the better ports, and it's a great portable game.
Xeogred wrote:The obvious answer is that it's time for the Dreamcast 2.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue May 26, 2015 11:29 pm

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)
56. Elevator Action II (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
57. Altered Beast (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
58. Congo Bongo (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
59. International Soccer (Commodore 64)
60. Out of this World! / Helicopter Rescue! (Odyssey²)
61. Alien Invaders - Plus! (Odyssey²)
62. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
63. River Raid (Atari 2600)
64. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
65. Ys II (Famicom)
66. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Turbo CD)
67. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
68. Frogs and Flies (Atari 2600)
69. Ice Climber (NES)
70. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (PlayStation 2)
71. Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
72. Ikari Warriors (Atari 2600)

These are two of my Summer Challenge games. I wrote about them here and here.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Thu May 28, 2015 4:19 pm

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)

Total: 14 games

Forgot to update whoops >< I don't have a lot to say on most of these anyway...

Fragile Dreams
This game is a bit hard for me to describe because I really liked some parts, but really didn't like others... I'll try my best to explain though ><
You play as a boy named Seto, who is completely alone in this gorgeous post-apocalyptic world. All he really wants to do is to find another person to be with (especially this mystery girl he encounters early on). It's pretty simple that way the way it's told is pretty touching, but very depressing right to the end. The characters are all also pretty interesting, even if most of them don't get much screen-time.

However, there were a few things that were quite frustrating... The combat, for one, ranged from passable to irritating for me. When you're up against very basic enemies it's fine. You just press the A button a bunch of times and you're good (there's a timing thing I think but I had a hard time pulling it off). However, when you're expected to dodge and attack, it's pretty annoying since Seto is slow and if you're in a tight hallway, you can very easily die (I died quite a few times in this one particular hallway bleh).

The other thing was how there were these very annoying tasks that you had to do throughout the game. Luckily there weren't too many of these, but they ranged from mildly annoying (2 or 3 fetch quests) to quite frustrating (finding an invisible girl with noises from the Wii mote). I know these were probably put in so it wouldn't just be smacking things, but I really didn't enjoy them.

So while the game was pretty irritating at times, I'm still glad I played it, even if it was just for the story & characters. (it wasn't that expensive anyway so I don't feel bad about getting it ha)

Excite Truck
A very simple, but really fun racing game! While you're racing, you want to focus on getting as much boost as you can. You do have a small amount of it that you can use whenever, but since it depletes very quickly (unless you go through water) you need to get it in other ways by boosting just before jumping, landing perfectly, or getting a power-up (which are pretty rare). So there's a ton of places to jump off (some of which you need to get a different power-up to activate) and it's very fast and hectic. Also I got it for $2 which makes it even more awesome for me :lol:

Really the only bad thing I have to say is that it cramps up my hands after a few races, but it's not really the kind of game I would play for hours on end anyway, so that's a more minor annoyance for me.

Elebits
Um.. I'm actually having trouble remembering if I liked this or not :lol: I was kind of sick when I played most of it, and it was one of the only things I could play at the time since the controls were simple (point and shoot at everything) and the stages were fairly short. I remember it being cute, having bad voice acting, and it being generally pretty easy (other than a few stages, but not sure if that was just me being sick or not), but other than that I can't say I have much of an opinion haha...

Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2
Not really much to say other than it's very similar to Second Opinion but has a much less interesting story. It seems to focus more on Dr. Stiles dealing with being more famous and what happens when he gets too cocky, and a bit less on the GUILT, but it played fine so I didn't mind that much (I tended to enjoy the non-GUILT operations more anyway haha).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 28, 2015 4:24 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2

Nice beat. I'm planning on beating this one sometime this year as it's the only one in the series I haven't beat yet.* If you haven't played Trauma Team, you should, it's awesome.

*I haven't beaten Second Opinion, but seeing as its a remake of the original DS game, and I did beat the original DS game, it doesn't count.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Thu May 28, 2015 4:41 pm

Exhuminator wrote:

Nice beat. I'm planning on beating this one sometime this year as it's the only one in the series I haven't beat yet.* If you haven't played Trauma Team, you should, it's awesome.

*I haven't beaten Second Opinion, but seeing as its a remake of the original DS game, and I did beat the original DS game, it doesn't count.

Second opinion is pretty solid I played it through when I first got my Wii and really enjoyed it. However if I'm remembering correctly the story gets really rushed towards the end and doesn't make a ton of sense. Will have to try the DS version out next time I get in the mood for some Trauma Center.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 28, 2015 4:49 pm

Fragems wrote:Will have to try the DS version out next time I get in the mood for some Trauma Center.

The Wii remake version actually contains more story than the DS original. The only thing better about the DS original is its widely claimed to be the hardest game in the series. (The final operation especially is notorious for making people lose their shit.) Second Opinion's difficulty was rebalanced to be easier due to this.
Fragems wrote:Will have to try the DS version out next time I get in the mood for some Trauma Center.

If you haven't played it, I want to recommend Trauma Team to you as well. It's the best game in the series. It's a huge game too, takes about 25-30 hours to finish. Huge amount of story and yes it does make sense at the end.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Thu May 28, 2015 5:02 pm

Exhuminator wrote:

I have played Trauma Team, and I can agree on it being awesome :) I think I liked New Blood a little better for the co-op, but either way I thought it was really good. Can't remember if I beat it or not though... but if I haven't then it's the only one in the series that I haven't beat (other than the original DS one, which I'm not counting).
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 pm

Just for the record, Trauma Team can be played entirely in co-op. That`s the way my fiance and I beat it.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Return to General Gaming