Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by Ack Wed Jun 10, 2015 12:47 pm

Sarge wrote:Wait, there's a Picross game for NGPC? Hmmm...

There sure is! Picture Puzzle is the name.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaehvL5MxeY
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:46 pm

I haven't played many versions of picross, but I reaaalllyy love it. I've played some online versions, an android one, Picross 3D, and Mario's Super Picross (for the SuFami). Mario's Super Picross is probably my favourite picross game so far so some reason though ha.

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)

Total: 15 games

I beat Klonoa for the Summer Game Challenge and I'm really glad I did! It's a very light-hearted and simple 2.5D platformer, where you play as Klonoa who is trying to save this princess (?) of the dream world. Klonoa can jump and do a little float thing, but he can also shoot out this beam thing to hit switches and inflate enemies to toss around (which also allows him to double jump). It took a little while to get use to picking up enemies instead of just jumping on them, but once I got used to it I had a lot of fun throwing enemies around. I think it helped that most of the levels aren't crazy hard either, making it not so frustrating.

Only real problems I had with the game is that there are some switches that were hard to tell if they were on the same level as you or behind you and that the last few levels have a HUGE difficulty spike which really took me by surprise... but in the end that spike was definitely worth pulling through to see the ending.

It's just too bad that a physical copy is so expensive :/
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Jun 10, 2015 9:11 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:Klonoa

Still ticked that the Wii remake that I picked up from gamestop for $8 was damaged so badly that I had to return it. Had a heat bubble so there was no saving it :( .
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Jun 10, 2015 10:43 pm

Fragems wrote:
laurenhiya21 wrote:Klonoa

Still ticked that the Wii remake that I picked up from gamestop for $8 was damaged so badly that I had to return it. Had a heat bubble so there was no saving it :( .

Ah, man, that stinks. I managed to snag a complete copy in a local game store for around $10, definitely good stuff.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:08 pm

^Geez, I've never heard of discs doing something like that :shock: That's pretty lame though :/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Jun 11, 2015 9:02 am

laurenhiya21 wrote:^Geez, I've never heard of discs doing something like that :shock: That's pretty lame though :/

If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, heat bubbles can form if you leave a disc in direct sunlight or in a closed up car during the summer. The layers of the optical disc actually start to separate as glue deteriorates due to thermal stress. Not surprisingly this kills the game.

Congrats on beating Klonoa BTW, if you really enjoyed it there's more games in the series to take on.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 11, 2015 10:54 am

Exhuminator wrote:Congrats on beating Klonoa BTW, if you really enjoyed it there's more games in the series to take on.

Agreed. Klonoa is a really fun game, and I highly recommend the PS2 sequel. It still looks great, and it has held up really well.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:31 pm

Exhuminator wrote:If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, heat bubbles can form if you leave a disc in direct sunlight or in a closed up car during the summer. The layers of the optical disc actually start to separate as glue deteriorates due to thermal stress. Not surprisingly this kills the game.

Congrats on beating Klonoa BTW, if you really enjoyed it there's more games in the series to take on.

:shock: Geez, I'll keep a mental note of that...

And I definitely do plan on looking out for other games in the series. A lot of them (if not all) look really good :) Plus I'm a sucker for cute games so I probably would play them anyway even if I didn't like the original :lol:
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Thu Jun 11, 2015 2:46 pm

laurenhiya21 wrote:Plus I'm a sucker for cute games so I probably would play them anyway even if I didn't like the original :lol:

Klonoa is certainly a cute game, but if I recall correctly, it has one of the most soul-crushingly depressing endings in video game history. (Seriously, it is right up there with Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons.)
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Thu Jun 11, 2015 3:16 pm

^YEAH geez the feels :cry: I wasn't sure if I should mention it or not but the ending made me tear up a bit... Probably doesn't help that I really wasn't expecting it.
Return to General Gaming