Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
MrPopo

Re: Games Beaten 2015

by MrPopo Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:54 am

Exhuminator wrote:Sarge did you play Quake or Quake II?

I really enjoyed DOOM and DOOM II. I only put about two hours into DOOM 3 though... that game bored me tremendously. It was too confined and linear, and only threw one or two enemies at you at a time usually. It just didn't feel like DOOM to me.

It doesn't really get any better, unfortunately. Doom 3 keeps using the same tricks over and over. Now, the "here's a ton of dudes, shoot them" Doom uses is a gimmick that doesn't get old, but "surprise, monster is behind you" does.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Ack

by Ack Mon Jul 13, 2015 10:59 am

MrPopo wrote:
Exhuminator wrote:Sarge did you play Quake or Quake II?

I really enjoyed DOOM and DOOM II. I only put about two hours into DOOM 3 though... that game bored me tremendously. It was too confined and linear, and only threw one or two enemies at you at a time usually. It just didn't feel like DOOM to me.

It doesn't really get any better, unfortunately. Doom 3 keeps using the same tricks over and over. Now, the "here's a ton of dudes, shoot them" Doom uses is a gimmick that doesn't get old, but "surprise, monster is behind you" does.

Or the "Enter room, find monster closet" thing. That does get a bit old.

Still, I give Doom 3 credit for having some interesting enemy designs. Freaky bug babies. Those freaky bug babies.

I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:00 am

MrPopo wrote:Doom 3 keeps using the same tricks over and over. Now, the "here's a ton of dudes, shoot them" Doom uses is a gimmick that doesn't get old

Yes. Lots of enemies plus far larger environments to combat in lead to more disparate dynamics, keeping the pace fun and challenging. Also, DOOM never felt like survival horror to me, but DOOM 3 obviously tried to invoke that genre... it just came across disingenuous.

Did you play Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil? Was it a big improvement?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:20 am

Haven't gotten around to it yet. Maybe later this year.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Mon Jul 13, 2015 4:38 pm

1. Injustice Gods Among Us Ultimate Edition(PS4)(Good)
2. Infamous First Light(PS4)(Good)
3. Drakengard 3(PS3) *Endings 1-4. Ending 5 I watched online due to BS boss.(Good except for the boss of the final alternate branch ending who can go burn in a firey hell :lol: )
4. Infamous Second Son(PS4)(Good)
5. Thomas Was Alone(PS4)(Great)
6. Uncharted Drake's Fortune(PS3) *(Good)
7. Uncharted 2 Among Thieves(PS3) *(Great)
8. Uncharted 3 Drake's Deception(PS3) **(Good)
9. Deadpool(PS3)(Great)
10. Red Dead Redemption(360)(Good)
11. Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare(360)(Okay)
12. The Walking Dead Survival Instinct(360)(Shit)
13. Fuse(360)(Okay)
14. The Bureau Xcom Declassified(360)(Okay)
15. Asura's Wrath(360)(Great)
16. Beneath a Steel Sky(PC)(Good)
17. Soul Gambler(PC)(Okay)
19. Harvester(PC)(Good, but disturbing)
20. Coma: Mortuary(PC)(Shit)
21. Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure(PC)(Good)
22. Freedom Planet(PC)(Great)
23. Tropico 3 Steam Special Edition(PC)(Great)
24. Far Cry 4(PS3)(Okay kinda meh)
25. Shellshock 2 Blood Trails(360)(Shit)
26. Grand Theft Auto V(PC)(Great)
27. Shadow of Mordor(PS4)(Great)
28. Call of Duty Advanced Warfare(PS4)(Okay)
29. Fallout 3(PC)
30. Fallout 3: Operation Anchorage(DLC)(PC)
31. Fallout 3: Broken Steel(DLC)(PC)

Fallout 3 Operation Anchorage

I imagine this has to be the worst DLC for Fallout 3 there is a heavy focus on combat and scavenging is almost completely stripped out of this segment of the game due to the scenario. The snowy Alaskan setting is very bland and the enemies aren't that impressive either. The final boss also can be immediately defeated with a speech check :roll: . You do get some interesting weapons out of the experience like the Guass Rifle as well as a nice winterized power armor. Sadly the Power Armor is broken to the point that it has something on the lines of a few million hp so it takes literally months worth of play to deteriorates and sucks up ungodly amounts of damage. The Guass rifle on the other hand is a little more balanced but only fires one round every 2-3 seconds so it's not extremely useful in most scenarios.

Falliout 3 Broken Steal

This DLC actually continues the Fallout 3 campaign which is a nice seeing as there is no option to continue playing after beating the main quest line in the base game. It also has a lot more interaction with the Enclave which brings you in contact with some interesting new levels and equipment. I would say the mission quality is on par with the base game and I liked them all for the most part. The last quest however was a little long and gives you a way to OP weapon which can 1-2 hit most enemies and has an AOE damage field that stays active for 2-3 seconds. Worst of all it uses a very common energy cell which in my opinion was a very bad idea since it is as powerful if not more so than a rocket launcher and it takes quite a while to deteriorate. Even limiting it to 1 shot every few seconds wasn't enough to balance it in my opinion they should have stuck with some rarer ammo such as the alien power cells to keep it from being over used. Alien power cells would have made sense as well since the area where you collect parts for the weapons had around 60 of them laying around.
RyaNtheSlayA
Next-Gen

by RyaNtheSlayA Mon Jul 13, 2015 5:51 pm

Exhuminator wrote:
Did you play Doom 3: Resurrection of Evil? Was it a big improvement?

I'll chime in here and say that I thought it was a big improvement.

It's still Doom 3 at its heart. If you don't like the gameplay there it doesn't change much. However the pacing and level design is far better in my opinion.
I'm still not sure whether I'm a kid or a squid now.
bmoc
Next-Gen

by bmoc Tue Jul 14, 2015 4:56 pm

1. Radiant Historia
2. Halo: Combat Evolved (Master Chief Collection)
3. Halo 2 (Master Chief Collection)
4. Killer Instinct (Season 1 Story Mode)
5. 999: 9 Hours, 9 Persons, 9 Doors
6. Ori and the Blind Forest (Xbox One)
7. Rayman Legends (Xbox One)
8. Mortal Kombat X (Xbox One)
9. Killer Instinct (Season 2/S2 Story Mode)
10. Halo 3 (Master Chief Collection)
11. Halo 3 ODST (Master Chief Collection)

I had to take a break from Halo for a while because after completing Halo 2, I was feeling pretty burned out on it. To me, Halo 3 felt pretty much like Halo 2 minus the prerendered cut scenes. It advanced the plot a little, tying up a few loose ends from Halo 2. In my opinion Halo 3 is probably the weakest in the series as far as the campaign goes.

Now ODST, I really enjoyed. Maybe I was just getting tired of the antics of Master Chief and the Arbiter or maybe I am just a sucker for anything with Nathan Fillion in it. Running around New Mombasa looking for my missing teammates and learning what happened to them was much more satisfying than seeing disjointed hallucinations of Cortana for the 100th time. Also I liked the soundtrack better in ODST than any of the previous Halo installments. It was definitely worth the five extra dollars as DLC. The only thing I didn't like about it was the human character models had a several "Uncanny Valley" moments that just didn't look quite right.

ODST has me really looking forward to Halo 5 considering Nathan Fillion's character, Buck, is returning. I maybe purchasing Halo 5 sooner rather than later.
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

by laurenhiya21 Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:26 pm

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)
7/1: SteamWorld Dig (Steam)
7/12: Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Steam)
7/13: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
7/14: Retro/Grade (Steam)

Total: 24 games

I'll try and keep these short since I'm really tired ._.

Cook, Serve, Delicious!
It's kind of like a fast paced Cooking Mama with keyboard controls? You're a chef making food for customers, and you make food by pressing certain keys which correspond to the first letter of the ingredient you're adding or the direction that corresponds to certain actions (chopping, filling mug with coffee etc.). You have to do it fast or else customers get mad (obviously) but sometimes this is tricky when the keys make no sense, like "L" to add cabbage. You can change the keys around, but some dishes just have so many ingredients it would be a bit hard to do... Still I really enjoyed it even though ti made my wrists hurt after a while ha. Oh and it also supports controllers but I can't imagine how that would go...

Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi
A very well written prologue to this creepy and tense visual novel! It's about a kid who moves into this small, seemingly normal town... but of course it's not normal and people start acting really weird and people start dieing. It kind of sounds generic I guess from how I describe it, but it really isn't... it's not really obvious on who did what and why. It is a bit slow to really kick off and a few times I had trouble figuring out who said what, but other than that I enjoyed it from start to finish. Really can't wait for the other parts.

Retro/Grade
A rhythm game where you are a ship that accidentally destroyed the universe (I think?) and have to put time in reverse and unshoot all the bullets you shot to put everything back in order. It's really different since you have to hit all bullets coming from the right side, but also dodge things coming from the left. I quite like rhythm games so I enjoyed this, but it was very short and I didn't like a few of the tunes (they're all electronicy I guess?). It was cheap too though so... not I'm not really complaining that much ha.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:53 pm

First 50:
1. Grandia (PlayStation)
2. Jungle Hunt (Xbox - Taito Legends)
3. Jungle Hunt (Atari 2600)
4. Jungle Hunt (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
5. Donkey Kong (Atari 2600)
6. Donkey Kong (Intellivision)
7. Donkey Kong (ColecoVision)
8. Bubble Bobble (NES)
9. Side Arms: Hyper Dyne (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
10. 1941: Counter Attack (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Remixed)
11. Ys: The Ark of Napishtim (PSP)
12. The Ninja Kids (Xbox - Taito Legends)
13. Neutopia (TurboGrafx-16)
14. Golden Axe Warrior (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
15. Phantasy Star Online Ver. 2 (Dreamcast)
16. Growl (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
17. Arabian Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
18. Dungeon Magic (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
19. Gekirindan (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
20. Ys II (Saturn - Falcom Classics II)
21. Darius Gaiden (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
22. G Darius (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
23. Giana Sisters DS (DS)
24. RayStorm (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
25. Mr. Do! (ColecoVision)
26. Beauty & the Beast (Intellivision)
27. Boxing (PlayStation 2 - Activision Anthology)
28. Crystalis (NES)
29. Dragon Warrior (NES)
30. Faxanadu (NES)
31. Tombs & Treasure (NES)
32. Kirby's Dream Land (Game Boy)
33. Kirby's Adventure (NES)
34. Kirby Super Star (SNES)
35. Hoshi no Kirby 64 (Nintendo 64)
36. Kirby: Triple Deluxe (3DS)
37. Dig Dug (Wii - Namco Museum Megamix)
38. Phoenix (Xbox - Taito Legends)
39. Phoenix (Atari 2600)
40. Pleiads (Xbox - Tecmo Classic Arcade)
41. Kangaroo (Atari 2600)
42. Final Fantasy Adventure (Game Boy)
43. Gorf (Atari 2600)
44. Richard Scarry's Huckle and Lowly's Busiest Day Ever (Pico)
45. Mickey's Blast Into the Past (Pico)
46. Secret of Mana (SNES)
47. Psycho Soldier (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
48. Genshi-Tou 1930's (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
49. Datsugoku: Prisoners of War (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
50. SAR: Search and Rescue (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)

51. The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (SNES)
52. Tic-Tac-Toe / Shooting Gallery / Doodle / Quadra-Doodle (Channel F)
53. Robot War / Torpedo Alley (Channel F)
54. Pinball Challenge (Channel F)
55. Elevator Action (Xbox - Taito Legends)
56. Elevator Action II (PlayStation 2 - Taito Legends 2)
57. Altered Beast (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
58. Congo Bongo (Xbox 360 - Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection)
59. International Soccer (Commodore 64)
60. Out of this World! / Helicopter Rescue! (Odyssey²)
61. Alien Invaders - Plus! (Odyssey²)
62. Ice Hockey (Atari 2600)
63. River Raid (Atari 2600)
64. Frankenstein's Monster (Atari 2600)
65. Ys II (Famicom)
66. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Turbo CD)
67. Gremlins (Atari 2600)
68. Frogs and Flies (Atari 2600)
69. Ice Climber (NES)
70. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (PlayStation 2)
71. Ghosts 'n Goblins (PSP - Capcom Classics Collection Reloaded)
72. Ikari Warriors (Atari 2600)
73. Donkey Kong Junior (Atari 2600)
74. Donkey Kong Junior (ColecoVision)
75. Ys: Memories of Celceta (Vita)
76. Guevara (PSP - SNK Arcade Classics 0)
77. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (3DS)
78. Evolution (Plug & Play - ColecoVision Flashback)
79. Ys I (GOG.com - Ys I & II Chronicles+)
80. Ys II (GOG.com - Ys I & II Chronicles+)
81. Mushihimesama Futari Ver 1.5 (Xbox 360)
82. Evoland (GOG.com)

Evoland is a cute little indie RPG that pays tribute to the RPGs of yore.

The player takes control of two characters whose names sound suspiciously familiar: Clink and Kaeris. The game's gimmick is that (most) treasure chests do not contain actual treasure but instead cause the game to "evolve." See, at Evoland's beginning gameplay is extremely limited. But after opening a lengthy series of chests the world eventually gains color, sound, 3D graphics, Mode 7, pre-rendered backgrounds and much more. Essentially it begins like a 8-bit RPG in progress and ends feeling like a PS1 game. There's a fair amount of humor to be found in the game's progression. For instance there's a FFVII-esque pre-rendered town with loading screens between each section. Said loading can be eliminate by purchasing a "fast DVD player" from the local merchant. The game also features a Diablo-inspired dungeon complete with tons of funny-but-useless loot, like an accessory that grants ".1% ear protection."

Combat is handled in two ways. In dungeons it occurs in real time like The Legend of Zelda, with heart containers representing health. In the overworld a Final Fantasy ATB system is implemented with turn-based combat, HP/MP, and experience points. This keeps things fresh and had me wishing there were actual retro RPGs that featured alternating battle mechanics.

There are some downsides to Evoland. The game's mechanics are far too simple. Weapons and armor are equipped automatically, items can only be used in battle, bombs and arrows are never depleted, and two separate health bars are used in the overworld and dungeons. This makes the game almost feel like an interactive story with some light RPG elements rather than a fully fleshed-out RPG. Additionally - and this is something I rarely complain about - the game is too short! The charming 8-bit graphics featured in the game's opening scene only last for about thirty minutes before they're replaced by 16-bit graphics.... which are replaced by PS1 graphics thirty minutes after that. The airship is used for about 10 seconds. There are only one or two pre-rendered areas. Most of the game's best gimmicks are ephemeral. I'd enjoy this more had it been a 15 hour game with 5 hours in the 8-bit world, 5 in the 16-bit, and 5 in the 32-bit. With that all said, a sequel is in the works and screenshots look promising so far.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Thu Jul 16, 2015 6:52 pm

The Tipping Point, on Android. Too bad the game was designed for tablets, cuz I had a hard time on my smartphone (which has a 5 inch screen).

But the game was great. And yes, it's the same game the developer has on his page, though the Android and iOS versions have the final chapter.
Return to General Gaming