Games Beaten 2017

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Xeogred »

MrPopo wrote:They are. It was advertised pretty heavily during SGDQ.

Super Goku Dragon Quest?
fastbilly1
Site Admin

Post by fastbilly1 »

I havent found my old post, but update:
Robot Odyssey - Apple ][
Topgun - NES
Zelda Triforce Heroes - 3ds
Blaster Master - NES
Kings Field 1 - PSX

Mic Drop
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

Xeogred wrote:
MrPopo wrote:They are. It was advertised pretty heavily during SGDQ.

Super Goku Dragon Quest?

Summer Games Done Quick, the yearly charity speedrunning marathon (and it has a sister event in Awesome Games Done Quick in the winter).
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

fastbilly1 wrote:I havent found my old post, but update:
Robot Odyssey - Apple ][
Topgun - NES
Zelda Triforce Heroes - 3ds
Blaster Master - NES
Kings Field 1 - PSX

Mic Drop

Insane. Nice work, fastbilly.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

Post by dsheinem »

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4
Fast RMX - Switch
Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch
Garou: Mark of the Wolf - Vita
Star Wars: Republic Commando - PC
Battlefield 1 - PS4
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch
Shock Troopers - PC (Arcade)
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad - PC (Arcade)
Gravity Bone -PC
A Thousand Flights of Loving - PC
Forza Horizon 3: Hot Wheels - PC/X1
Eve: Valkyrie- PSVR
Farpoint - PSVR
Painkiller: Battle Out of Hell - PC
Ghost Squad - Wii
Monument Valley 2 - iOS
Call of Duty: Infinite Warfare - PS4
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 - 360
Tekken Advance - GBA *new*
100ft Robot Golf - - PSVR *new*

Total: 33

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

I have been playing a number of things but not beating much of late. Tekken Advance was super-easy, but a nice first "beaten" experience with my new Rasberry Pi 3. I think I will be playing some more retro stuff with that now hooked up...

100ft Robot Golf's humor wore thin for me quickly, but the basic golf game inside is a fun take on the genre. I don't know if this was enhanced with VR, but it was certainly interesting from that perspective...
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 65
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (4 Game Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24

Given that the game's two major expansions are the length of games in their own right, I'm including them as I did with Medal of Honor: Allied Assault's two expansions.

The Witcher 3 is actually the first game in the series that I bought despite being the last game in the series that I played.  It's a game that long intimidated me due to its gargantuan length, especially considering that I have the Complete Edition with both the Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine expansions as well as 16 more minor DLCs.  A tall order of a game, to be sure.  It's definitely a game worth playing, though, and well deserving of such a time commitment.

For those no in the know, The Witcher series is based on a series of Polish novels about the witcher (or monster slayer) Geralt of Rivia.  This third entry does absolutely make reference to the previous two games, and while having previously played those two is not necessary to enjoy this game or understand its story, it definitely helps.  There are, however, character entries in the journal and a location glossary that can help get folks who either haven't played the first two games or haven't played them in along time up to speed.  Ironically, one of the things that makes the game approachable to those who haven't played the first two is one of the very few problems I had with the game - they leave out ENORMOUS chunks of narrative and context from the books.  I've not read the books, so I don't exactly how much or what got left out, but I played both The Witcher and The Witcher 2 within the last six months, and there were multiple situations in which I had no idea what folks were talking about.  Ciri, the central figure of the game's entire narrative, is - to the best of my memory - never mentioned in the first two games, but now she's the entire engine driving the story.  The Wild Hunt had been mentioned as legendary wraith horsemen of some sort spoken  of only in hushed whispers, but suddenly it's common knowledge to Geralt and his gaggle of friends that they're just douchebag elves from some other world.  The problem is that - again, to the best of my memory - the player wasn't informed of that aside from just noticing that it's obvious to everyone else.

The combat and gameplay are much improved over the second game, and Geralt is an absolute treat to control.  It doesn't feel nearly as forced and stilted as in the first game.  The visuals are splendid, and using the PS4 Pro's boost mode ensures that the game runs at a silky smooth frame rate for almost the entire duration.  The sound design, however, is what really steals the show in my opinion.  The music fits the action and tone of the game better than most, and the ambient sounds of the world, be it the clopping of a horse's hooves or the gentle splash of the ocean against the shore, give the world a very real and organic feel.  The voice acting, while not without its faults, is also quite good.  I've been told that the original Polish voice acting is superior to the English, but as that's not an option on the PS4 release, I can't speak to that.  My only real problem with the voice acting is less a flaw, per se, and more a stylistic choice with Geralt's characterization.  He has that perpetually gruff, monotone voice that has become a bit of a trope for the rugged, tough hero.  It's not that it's poorly done; I just think it limits how effectively and how deeply the character can be developed.  There are few other very minor issues - some of the incidental NPCs' lines don't sound exceptionally well acted, but those are very minor occurrences that one will typically not notice more than a few times during a playthrough.

Turning attention to the two major expansions, each one contains as much content as one would expect from a full, stand-alone RPG, and the Blood and Wine expansion is longer than a lot of RPGs I've played.  Hearts of Stone revolves around an enigmatic and terrifyingly devious otherworldly being known as "Master Mirror" and a man, seemingly immortal, who has entered into a contract with him and now depends on Geralt to free himself from Master Mirror.  Hearts of Stone adds an enormous amount of content, but it adds that content to parts of the world that one would explore normally over the course of the base game.  Blood and Wine, on the other hand, adds an entirely new area to explore - the Duchy of Toussaint.  Not only are there TONS of side quests to complete in Toussaint and points of interest to explore, but the main story quest line is long and extremely well told with a narrative that will hook and fascinate players from the outset, not to mention the three possible endings for that quest line.  In addition to all of this - and this was one of my favorite parts - part of the quests involve taking ownership of an abandoned estate in Toussaint, giving the player a house that can, to a certain extent, be customized and serve as a base of operations to rest and gain a few buffs.

The most impressive thing about The Witcher 3 to me was that it didn't wear out itself welcome.  I've played games half this length that left me thinking "Okay, this was fun and all, but I'm ready for this to be over now" halfway through the game.  I never experienced that with The Witcher 3.  Certainly, there were games other than this that I wanted to play, but I never wanted to just quit playing this.  That's a very uncommon thing for me when it comes to games of this length, and it was definitely a must for me to be able to make it through the game and all of the non-Gwent based side quests along the way.

Speaking of Gwent, there are a few minigames that you can play as parts of various quests or just for fun in the game.  You have, of course, Gwent, a trading card game based on characters from The Witcher universe.  It's a fascinating game and one that would do well as a fleshed out, stand-alone game (and lo behold, that's exactly what they ended up doing).  In addition to Gwent, you've got fisticuffs and horseback races.  While I ignored the Gwent side quests, I completed all of the fist fight and race side quests.  They're not particularly complex - just beat the shit out of guys without weapons, armor, or signs; and ride your horse like normal but fast and on a set course, respectively.  The fist fights typically just get you some money, but the horse races are how you upgrade your horse's gear - saddles for longer endurance, saddlebags for increased carrying capacity, and blinders to keep your horse from panicking as badly when either fighting on horseback or running through groups of enemies.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt is definitely a landmark western RPG, and while it's not a flawless game, the whole is MUCH more than the sum of its parts.  It's an experience that is distinctly unique and frighteningly engrossing.  There's so much to do, so much to see, so much to massacre - you could play this game all day every day for two weeks and still have things left to do.  If you're not a fan of MAJOR time commitment games or open world RPGs, then steer clear, but if those are your kind of thing, then make absolutely sure that you don't skip out on this game, especially with how good the value of the Complete Edition is.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)
26. Vanquish (PS3)
27. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
28. Pikmin (Wii)
29. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)
30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)
31. Super Mario 3D World (Wii U)
32. Tales of Innocence R (Vita)
33. Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
34. Boing! Docomodake DS (DS)
35. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
36. Magicka 2: Learn to Spell... AGAIN! (PS4) (repeat)
37. Pokemon Moon (3DS)
38. Pokemon Black 2 (DS)

39. Pokken Tournament (Wii U)

In order to unlock all the stuff in Pokken Tournament to play with my best friend who loves Pokemon, I had to beat the story mode all the way through. It's an awful long story mode at like 5 or 6 hours. You've gotta win like 110 matches! If you don't, you'll be short 2 playable characters and like 10 support sets (not to mention like 16 stages). Luckily, it's not super difficult. If I can beat it, it can't be that hard of a fighting game :P

The game looks beautiful. All of the Pokemon rendered in beautiful HD never cease to look awesome. The game controls really well, too. For a game that just uses 6 buttons and the D-pad, it's pretty damn complex. What with all of the switching between field and dual mode when certain attacks land, special counter-attacks as opposed to normal attacks. I don't play 3D fighters ever, really, so I can't really comment on its complexity compared to other things in the genre, but I think you could spend a lot of time getting really good at Pokken if you wanted.

One last miscellaneous note: The special Pokken Tournament controller is a bunch of wank. The D-pad is so inaccurate it's awful. Maybe it's my fault for getting familiar with the Pro Controller first, but for something that's $30 new, that thing is nowhere near as good as it needs to be for such a specialized controller :?

Verdict: Recommended. I can certainly see why it outsold Street Fighter 5 for a good while of last year. It's a really great fighting game with a great theme. It makes some mistakes with gating content, but that's not the end of the world, really. My only hesitation in recommending it would be that the Switch version which has like 5 or 6 more characters comes out in like a month or two, so you'll probably wanna wait for that with how much this game'll run ya for a new copy.
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)

April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)

May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)
34) Super Adventure Island (SNES) (7.0) (5/2) (~1 hour)
35) Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) (7.5) (5/3?) (~30 minutes)
36) Mighty No. 9 (PS4) (5.0) (5/6?) (~5 hours)
37) Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard) (SNES) (8.5) (5/11) (~1 hour)
38) Operation C (GB) (7.5) (5/22) (~1 hour)

June:
39) Super Dodge Ball (NES) (9.5) (6/1) (~15 minutes)
40) Bare Knuckle III (GEN) (7.5) (6/3) (~1 hour)
41) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (9.5) (6/5) (~30 minutes)
42) Wizards & Warriors X: Fortress of Fear (GB) (4.0) (6/8) (~1 hour)
43) Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) (3.5) (6/9) (~1 hour)
44) Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (PC) (8.0) (6/15) (~8.5 hours)
45) Streets of Rage (GEN) (9.0) (6/17) (~45 minutes)
46) Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GEN) (6.5) (6/17) (~4 hours)
47) Contra: Hard Corps (GEN) (8.5) (6/18) (~50 minutes)
48) Mighty Gunvolt Burst (NS) (7.5) (6/23) (~3 hours?)
49) Exile's End (PC) (8.0) (6/24) (~5 hours)

July:
50) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) (8.5) (7/1) (16h53m)
51) Pharaoh Rebirth+ (PC) (8.0) (7/3) (7 hours)
52) Jackal (NES) (9.0) (7/9) (45 minutes)
53) Golden Axe III (NES) (2.5) (7/9) (~45 minutes)
54) Rygar (NES) (7.0) (7/10) (~2 hours)
55) Faxanadu (NES) (8.0) (7/14) (~6 hours)
56) Tekken 3 (PSX) (6.0) (7/24) (~20 minutes)

Tekken 3 may very well be better than this, but frankly, I'm quite bad at it. I much prefer Soul Calibur. Going back to early 3D fighters is always an interesting proposition, and this one is definitely more polished than most; I would expect as much from Namco.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 66
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (5 Game Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25

66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25

Behold, boys and girls, the glory of Splatoon 2, the Little IP That Could.  A few years ago before Splatoon came out for Wii U when I heard that Nintendo was working on a new IP that would be a competitive shooter focused on online play, I was skeptical like many folks.  Nintendo making a shooter?  Unusual, sure, but not unheard of - just look at Metroid Prime.  Nintendo making a competitive online shooter, though?  No way this will end well.  Nintendo has no idea what it's doing with online connectivity.  And in fairness, they still have no idea what they're doing with online connectivity, but despite having all of the minor details mucked up horribly - matchmaking with friends is pants, voice chat requires that you be in a private game with friends rather than just in a party in-game, and the fact that the Switch requires a smartphone app for voice chat in the first place - the gameplay is so damn good and so damn smooth that you almost don't care about those glaring flaws.  Almost.

On the surface, Splatoon 2 is really just Splatoon 1.5, and in a lot of ways, it is essentially an enhanced port of the Wii U original, but when you dig deeper, there's a fair bit of added content that justifies calling it a sequel.  The Inkopolis Square looks more or less the same as the original game - just a few things moved around - the center of the square is still the online arena.  You have your usual Turf War unranked game mode where you gain experience and level up based on your performance.  When you reach level 10, you unlock Ranked Battles which vary between three different game modes.  Once you reach rank B- in Ranked Battles, you unlock League Battles.  League Battles are bit different in that they are large scale battles taking place over the course of 2 hours to see which team can accrue the highest score.  Only the most extreme squid kids need apply.  The last online game mode is Salmon Run, a horde-style game where you fight endless waves of enemies and bosses while trying to collect golden eggs.

As for the single player, it's still not amazing, but in my opinion, it's much improved over the first game.  Again, the Octolings have kidnapped the Giant Zapfish, but Callie, one of the Squid Sisters from the first game, has also vanished.  Is it connected?  It is a coincidence?  Who knows?  Marie is dead-set on finding out, though, and enlists the help your fresh self.  The single player campaign is divided into five different sectors with roughly half a dozen levels plus a boss in each.  Starting partway through, Sheldon, the weapons dealer, will start assigning you a weapon to use in most levels, claiming that he needs field data.  While this can get irksome with some levels, in general, it's a fun way to change things up and get a little bit of experience with the game's various weapon types.  As one might expect with Splatoon if ones knows anything of the game's style, the highlight of the single player is definitely the music.  Each sector has its own vibe, and the music is set to match each of them.  The campaign's five bosses all have their own weaknesses and style; it's not just the "shoot it a lot until it dies" type of boss like a lot of shooters have.  Most of the bosses are fairly easy once you figure out their attack patterns and weaknesses, but that doesn't detract one bit from the enjoyment of fighting them.

With the release of a new trio of amiibo for Splatoon 2, I have to address their functionality.  There are now - including the amiibo released for the original Splatoon - 11 different Splatoon amiibo.  You've got the original trio, the palette swap trio, Callie and Marie, and the Splatoon 2 trio.  Unfortunately, the two sets of Inklings from the first game are read as the same amiibo, but even then, that's 8 unique amiibo that you can scan.  What does scanning these amiibo get you, though?  Super fresh exclusive gear!  The 6 non-Squid Sisters amiibo will each get you three pieces of gear - one at level 1, one at level 6, and one at level 9.  The two Squid Sisters will each get you one piece of exclusive gear after you clear the single player.  They're not game-changers or anything, but they do look pretty sick and have three trait boosts each.

What a lot of people are probably wondering is how the performance differs from the first Splatoon.  It's no secret that the Wii U's hardware was very weak when compared to the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One, and while the Switch still isn't quite up the level of those two, it's significantly stronger than the Wii U (especially given that it's basically a handheld on steroids), and it definitely shows with Splatoon 2.  The first game looked pretty good, remember, locking an almost flawless 60 fps, although that did come at the price of a 720p resolution with no anti-aliasing.  Splatoon 2 ups the ante with a (mostly) full 1080p resolution while still maintaining a locked 60 fps.  Granted, this resolution is achieved through dynamic scaling, going from 864p to 1080p in docked mode and between 648p and 720p in handheld mode, but it's done extremely well, so much so that you won't notice the scaling unless you're looking for it.  It is worth noting, however, that obviously, the game renders at 720p in handheld mode).  The game also features dynamic shadows - something the Wii U original lacked - although these shadows aren't the most detailed.  One of the most satisfying improvements (despite sounding minor to those who haven't played the game) is the ink texture work.  When looking at ink that's been sprayed on the ground, it sometimes looked rather flat and dull on the Wii U game.  In Splatoon 2, however, the ink has a much "goopier" appearance with MUCH more impressive lighting effects and texture work.  It sounds minor, but given that the purpose of Turf War is to spray as much of your team's ink on the ground as possible, you'll be looking at the ink way more than anything else.

Splatoon 2 is an EXCELLENT sequel and an absolute must-have for Nintendo Switch owners.  It's not a masterpiece - the complete muck up of voice chat and inability to team up with friends in public games are major disappointments even if not surprising - but the online mode is devilishly fun and addicting, even for folks like me who usually don't get much enjoyment from playing shooters online.  The attitude of the game, the feel and tone of the visuals and sound design, and the damn amazing feel of the controls all make Splatoon 2 one of the most addicting games on Switch, right up there with Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.  If you have a Switch and DON'T own Splatoon 2 yet, you're doing yourself a major disservice.  Go out and pick up that game TODAY.

​Also, Nintendo missed a huge opportunity by not stylizing the title "Spla2n."  Just saying.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

ElkinFencer10 wrote: If you have a Switch and DON'T own Splatoon 2 yet, you're doing yourself a major disservice.  Go out and pick up that game TODAY.

You guys and your eccentricities. Does anyone really NEED any other games for their Binding of Isaac machines? :wink:

ElkinFencer10 wrote: ​Also, Nintendo missed a huge opportunity by not stylizing the title "Spla2n."  Just saying.

After how poorly F3AR was recieved on title alone, I think every major game publisher would be doing themselves a good nod to forget the 90's and it's naming conventions ever happened :P
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me