Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:28 pm

I remember renting the original Mega Man back as a kid and being blown away by it.
Kid Exhumy circa 1989 wrote:Holy royal piss balls this game is rad ass!

I didn't beat it though 'cause Yellow Devil and not knowing the pause trick.

To gloss over my opinions of Mega Man 1-10...

Mega Man 1 = Love it, a little stiff in places, but love it and beat it.
Mega Man 2 = MASTERPIECE OF GLORIOUS GLORY THE HYPE IS REAL (beat it)
Mega Man 3 = Beat it... don't remember much about it. Snakes? There are snakes.
Mega Man 4 = Got about halfway through it, burnt out on Mega Man. Woops!
Mega Man 5 = Never played it much.
Mega Man 6 = Never played it much.
Mega Man 7 = Never played it much.
Mega Man 8 = Never played it much.
Mega Man & Bass = Never played it much.
Mega Man 9 = Got all the way to Wily's Castle. Couldn't get past one part. All my shames.
Mega Man 10 = Have never played it.

So there's a theme there, yeah. The best thing about Mega Man is it's super consistent with little change between games. The worst thing about Mega Man is it's super consistent with little change between games.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:13 am

Exactly. I wish they made 100 of them. For the NES ones, the formula, graphics, music, controls, and everything was perfect. All I needed was new levels and bosses.

You probably remember snakes from MM3 since Snake Man's theme kicks ass.

I think you need a refresher on MM3's intro theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oEf8gPFFZ58

Cause you know all MM2 tracks have 394.9 billion remixes over the rest of the franchise.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:38 am

It's not Mega Man 2's fault is has the best music in the series.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Thu Mar 02, 2017 2:43 am

1. Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (XBOX)
2. Super Smash Bros WiiU (WiiU)
3. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
4. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)

5. Ys I Chronicles (PSP)

Not too long ago this board convinced me that it was time to crack open Ys Chronicles and lose my Ys virginity. Pop my cherrY?

First things first, starting up this game made me realize how much I like the PSP as a handheld gaming system. I don't play it enough! Its size, feel and screen all feel just right for my tastes right now.

Ys I almost immediately reminded me of Crystalis, one of my all time favourite 8-bit games. An ARPG with a great soundtrack, lots of grinding and specific NPCs that you meet to drive the story forward. Off to a good start.

I found myself very quickly liking the look of this game, the speed of getting around, and the bump system - which I hadn't expected to like. It made gameplay fast and streamlined in my opinion. Something I appreciate when I consider my limited gaming time. It made grinding reasonably enjoyable. Then there is the music - I was expecting to like it, but not quite so much as I do. This game had one of the most enjoyable soundtrack of any I've played in a while. My only complaint might be that there wasn't more music somehow crammed into the game.

This game shows a bit of age in some of the story triggers - it is not always apparent what to do next and sometimes it is pretty cryptic. I had to resort to a walkthrough when I got stuck around the time you need to talk to the trees. Turns out a certain musical NPC was hanging out somewhere I hadn't even noticed before. This definitely reminded me of a few different 8bit experiences when some character in an obscure location had to be visited to move on a story so I'd end up talking to everyone everywhere multiple times until I found the right one.

The uneven difficulty of the bosses is where I also feel it shows its age. I found the first boss pretty hard (but I attributed that to not really being fully accustomed to the game by then), the second boss was a breeze, the third (I think, the one that turns into bats) drove me batty(pun intended). I probably spent two hours dying to that one over and over. After that it was easy to reasonable until the final boss. Although it didn't take me too many attempts, he was pretty tough, and I just didn't find it fun to try, because it didn't feel like a fight that was arranged in a manner that was fair for a player - it was far too easy to screw yourself over and either get trapped in an unwinnable situation or just die due to a pit and some bad timing.

All that said, I did enjoy this game, old school mechanics and all. It gave me a shot of nostalgia with a chaser of pleasant modern(ish) look and sound. It was short enough that I still would have liked more(if the added content came with a rise in the level cap), but not so short that I felt unfulfilled by finishing. Of course the sequel resides on the very same UMD, so there is more waiting for me.

I won't rush into the next chapter of Ys right away, but I'm sure I'll be back in that world before too long.
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:44 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:Y'alls are wrong. Megaman Legends is the best.

I support this.

Not really(MM2 4 lyfe yo), but Mega Man Legends is awesome.
Ack

by Ack Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:21 am

1. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)(Action)
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
3. DRAGON: The Bruce Lee Story (SNES)(Fighting)
4. Eradicator (PC)(FPS)
5. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)(FPS)

Out of respect for Bill Paxton, I decided I'd spend some time playing through a game that was at least partially inspired by several of my favorite movies he appeared in during the 1980s and also stars the voice of his co-star of two different films, Michael Biehn.

Let's get to the good stuff first. If you're a fan of 1980s-style action and sci-fi movies, particularly the B- to Z-grade stuff like I am, Blood Dragon is in many ways more than just a mere love letter. The references that pollinate this production range from the likes of Arnold Schwarzenegger's Commando (note Colonel Sloan's chainmail vest) to Jean-Claude Van Damme's early film No Retreat, No Surrender (the song that plays during the training montage is originally from this film...and it's gloriously 1980s bad ass). There are quotes peppered in from the likes of Rocky 4 as well as an intro directly inspired by Predator, complete with awesome bulging bicep arm wrestling hand shake and even some Karate Kid-type headband wearing. To add to the feeling, everything is in neon and called Cyber, Omega, or a variety of other '80s scifi buzzwords, because neon and buzzwords make everything 100% cooler. The storyline is also deliciously ludicrous, even ending with the addition of a weapon that looks like it was ripped off from Krull.

Beneath the veneer however, the game is pretty bare bones and limited. Reading up on Blood Dragon online, it's considered a stand alone expansion, and it really does just feel like an expansion pack to a different game, one where everything was simplified and streamlined. You collect a few things, do two different types of quests that really aren't any different from what you normally do, secure safe zones by conquering garrisons, and clear out the occasional plot-fueled base. I actually went and did all of my garrison clearing and item grabbing first, then rushed through all of the plot in a couple of hours. There really isn't much meat to the game, it's mostly tongue-in-cheek flash...which is fine with me. I don't need an extensive 30-hour long parody. But I do wish there was a little more to it.

What I do like is the variety of weapons and how they change over time. Yes, you start with a nearly full compliment, but the enhancements I unlocked over time by doing missions actually lead to a remarkable change in my playstyle over time. Weapons I loved at the start took a backseat as their versatility, fire rates, and ammo consumption changed over time, while others I was not fond of became my mainstay go to choices a majority of the time. Surprisingly the minigun I found ended up not being my dragon killer; instead it was my sniper rifle, which became a pseudo-cannon and vastly changed how I would use it once I unlocked explosive rounds for it. I hardly used the bow and only pulled out the flamethrower when required for one mission, but the shotgun went from being a major piece of my arsenal to a situational weapon over time. As for the Killstar, you really only get it at the end, so I didn't spend too much time with it, but imagine GoldenEye's watch laser amped up to 11. Oh, and then things get all Dino Riders for the last level.

I did like that the game warned me when I reached the point of no return. I didn't care for the shooting the running dead in the face to get there, and the final level is a sort of let down once you realize you won't actually be fighting the final boss. In fact this happened repeatedly: you kill your bosses in cutscenes, not in actual combat. The closest you get to a real boss fight in the game is one level where you are forced to take on two of the blood dragons in an arena-like setting, but that didn't result in much challenge; bitch, Dark Forces made me take down a Krayt Dragon with my bare hands, I think I can handle two thunder lizards at once with my exploding rifle shells. In fact I'd say that's another complaint I had, that after a while of getting a feel for the rules of the game, it simply became too damn easy to do stuff...which I guess is kind of the point, since all those action heroes make everything look easy too after a good training montage and/or sex scene to resolve the second act and lead into the finale with the big bad.

I liked Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon. It's joyfully mocking of genres I love, it knows exactly what it is, and while it does lend itself to blandness at times, I still found myself wanting more by the end. Plus any game that ends with a reference to Miami Connection is A-OK in my book.

Special thanks to both Michael Biehn and Bill Paxton for the joy they both have brought me over the years. Films like The Terminator and Aliens would not have been nearly as good without you guys. Aliens is actually the first film I ever saw in theaters, and it started a roller coaster ride that's lasted my entire life of both awesome and awesomely bad cinema.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:12 pm

MrPopo wrote:It's not Mega Man 2's fault is has the best music in the series.

Truth.

Still, MM3 has some great tunes, and that Snake Man tune is a good one. But really, that intro music... sublime.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:40 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)

11. Blood Bowl (360)

I've already talked a LOT about Blood Bowl in various threads, so I will keep this review to commenting on the quality of this port. Long story short, it's adiquate for local multiplayer, but the single player is fairly dire.

Mechanically, it works mostly fine. There was a bug I remember running into fairly commonly in Legendary Edition on PC where it just scrambles a player or two once you set them up for the kick off and there's nothing you can do about it, and that only happened ONE time during the 30+ hours I put into this version. Going from using a mouse to a joystick and buttons takes a little getting used to, but ultimately it's very technically competent. A little note extra, there is actually a fair bit of announcer dialogue which isn't present in Legendary Edition in this game, for those that might care. That's likely in the original PC release of Blood Bowl as well though.

Now, the single player I'm in two minds about. At first, I like it because it has a speed-up feature which essentially allows you to skip the AI's turns. This is a feature that (to the best of my knowledge) Legendary Edition, Chaos Edition, and Blood Bowl II ALL do not have, so that's really nice. What ISN'T so nice is how ABYSMAL the AI is. The AI is so brain stupid, it has terrible tactics that don't align with the races of the teams at all, it has terrible priority to the point where it will do a stupidly dangerous thing before even standing up its players, and it's just ultimately very little challenge for a remotely experienced player. It seems like they made ONE human-race AI, and then just used it for every race, which really isn't something that works well. Oddly enough, though, the AI in this game actually uses the "Blitz" extra-turn events that it gets, where the AI in Legendary Edition never does. Go figure O.o

For those of you who like achievements, the 360 achievements for this range from interesting, to damn near impossible unless you're insanely lucky. Like, I was actually able to get the "get 12 KO's in a match" achievement just barely, but that was after many hours of crafting a team almost explicitly designed to do as many injuries and KO's as possible. Getting 3 interceptions in a game or 2 with the same player in the same game though, is absolutely ridiculous. I have no idea how you'd ever do that.

Verdict: Not Recommended. The AI in this version is just so awful, I can't recommend it even though the team line up is just fine. Though you can get this version for five bucks, it's an awfully uncommon thing to find. Combine that with how much comparatively easier Blood Bowl II is to find, learn to play the game through, and how superior the AI is in that, and I can only recommend this to the most astute of Blood Bowl fans (such as myself :P )
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:48 pm

10. My Golf 3D | Android | golf | 2016 | 1.45hrs | 6/10

I've never mentioned it on this forum, but I'm a pretty big mini-golf fan. Luckily my wife is too, and we've had some intense matches against each other. So I thought it'd be fun to download a mini-golf game to our communal tablet. After some spelunking I came across My Golf 3D. This isn't a game you can beat necessarily, but we finished all of its courses at par, and that's close enough to call "done".

My Golf 3D, despite having a terribly generic name, is a highly competent mini-golf sim. It allows up to four players with hotseat support, and you can set players to CPU as well. You can configure your player to your liking, customizing their appearance and golf equipment. There's four 9-hole courses to choose from, each with a unique aesthetic, layouts, hazards, and decent music. Making the shot is easy, with the ability to change angles and putting power with intuitive touch controls. Although controls are easy enough, it's not long before the courses become quite tricky. My Golf 3D isn't the most amazing golf simulation you can find, but for a free Android multiplayer experience, it was plenty of fun.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... lf3d&hl=en
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:29 pm

wasn't one of the only pics you posted yourself of you playing mini golf? :lol:

I'm a pretty big fan of golf VIDEO GAMES so this is interesting to me.
Return to General Gaming