Re: Games Beaten 2017

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:33 pm

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 27

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (5 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24

27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24

Super Mario Run is one of Nintendo's early forays into the mobile gaming market, but those of us who use Android-based smartphones were made to wait quite a long time compared to our iOS counterparts. Now that it's finally been released for Android, was it worth the wait? Well...kind of.

Super Mario Run is an auto-running platformer, and that's a sub-genre that I very rarely play; my only other experience with this genre has been Bit.Trip Runner, and that was as much a rhythm game as it was a platformer. That said, I'm not the biggest fan of auto-runners. I LOVE platformers, but the lack of control that comes from the auto-run feature really takes me out of my element, and I find myself not enjoying it nearly as much as traditional platformers. The controls are simple; since Mario runs on his own, you tap the screen to jump. That's about it. If you hold the screen longer when you tap, Mario will jump higher. If you tap the screen while Mario is in the air, he'll do a spin to prolong his time airborne a little bit. If you tap the screen against a wall, he'll do a wall jump. He'll automatically vault over enemies, small obstacles, and short gaps.

The game is fairly well made, and in addition to the 24 levels, you can do a coin rush on those levels. The visuals are pleasing, and the audio is exactly what you'd expect from Mario. While it's fun, it only takes a couple hours tops to get through the levels, making the $10 asking price feel a bit steep. On the one hand, I'm glad that Nintendo went with a one-time-payment method instead of microtransactions, but I feel like, for what you get, $5 would have been a more appropriate price tag.

Honestly, that's about all I have to say about it. It's a good game, but the price is a bit steep given that it doesn't provide an enormous amount of content. I definitely recommend giving it a download, though, as the first three levels are free. If you like what you see, $10 isn't an enormous chunk of change, even if it is a bit steep for this particular game. I'm not personally a fan of it, but it's a good mobile experience.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:56 pm

When I started the game my goal was to finish it before you. 8)
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:13 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:When I started the game my goal was to finish it before you. 8)

Haha, that doesn't sound like a difficult goal; it was mainly my pooping game. :lol:
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

pierrot
Next-Gen

by pierrot Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:18 pm

alienjesus wrote:Prepare for lots of reply squiggles!

This could get dangerous.

alienjesus wrote:Louie

I always mistakenly remember them as Joeys--.

alienjesus wrote:I actually found the game easy as long as you kept the line bomb power up from world 3. I only died once after that point, and I went back and got the powerr up again. You can very quickly create lines of 10 bombs using it to trap enemies, block their route, and destroy stages very quickly. Keeping hold of the pass through bombs/blocks power ups can get you out of trouble you get yourself in with it too.

Yeah, I noticed, from some long-plays, that the final boss is really easy with all the powerups, but I brute forced it the way I would have as a kid. I was able to hold on to powerups a lot more easily in Saturn Bomberman, which is probably why that game seemed so much easier. (Also, I think Saturn Bomberman was just generally easier.)

alienjesus wrote:I miss the animal buddies, but with Kirby's more advanced 'Superstar' movesets being more common now, I guess they don't have as much of a place anymore. Coo was clearly the best. I've 100%ed Dreamland 2, and that last boss was indeed a jerk. I've not done the same for 3 yet though!

I love Coo's broom ability, where he becomes a feather duster, in Dream Land 3. It makes me actually giggle. I made sure to pick up all the heart stars, in Dream Land 3, before I left a world, and it added a lot of time to just beating the game. It probably hampered my enjoyment of the game, a little, because of it (although the mini-game stages are usually a crap shoot, and legitimately dumb). For that reason, I'm liable to not recommend bothering with the true ending, but the fight itself is at least slightly easier than the one in Dream Land 2.

Some really classic soundtracks in those games, too. Just thinking about the games brings up a ton of themes in my head.

alienjesus wrote:I really enjoyed Yoshi's Island when I played it back when, but I find it hard to go back to now to replay. Not sure what it is about it, but the slow pacing just fails to keep my interest as easily, even though I really like the game.

Yeah, I did ultimately enjoy playing through it, but would also have trouble revisiting it later. I have zero interest in getting 100 pts in each stage, and the bonus stages, too. It's actually one game I really wish had a boss-rush mode, though. I would definitely play that.

alienjesus wrote:I also prefer DKC3 to the other games in the series. I like it's slightly lighter tone, I like how different the characters feel, and I think the level design is the best in the series. However, I still enjoy the first 2 games. I'm not nearly as in love with the aesthetic of DKC2 as everyone else is, and I think of all the games it has the most bizarrely erratic difficulty balance. Diddy Kong also feels useless, as everything he does, Dixie does better. Kiddy and Donkey might be objectively worse than Dixie and Diddy in 3 and 1, but at least they feel like they have some advantages, particularly in their size and being able to deal with bigger enemies.

I definitely most enjoyed the level design in DKC 3, but even just little things, like the method of moving between worlds: It's such a smooth operation in DKC 3, and such an amazing pain in the ass in the other two.
I agree that DKC 2's difficulty feels a bit uneven, but I thought Dixie and Diddy had some decent trade-offs. I ended up playing as both, pretty evenly, because Diddy felt a little more nimble, with a slightly higher peak to his jumps, while Dixie, obviously, has the hair-tactics. That said, I didn't really feel like they needed to work in tandem to complete their trials.

alienjesus wrote:
pierrot wrote:Clockwork Knight

I picked this up recently, sounds like I need to sit down and play through it. How long is it overall? Interesting that the character is called Tongara in the Japanese version - it's certainly easier to say than Pepperachou or whatever the English name for him is.

Just to be on the safe side, I wouldn't go in expecting something console selling. For something that I thought would be, barely, average, I felt by the end that it was well above average. There's a toy train stage, early on, that's probably the low point of the game, though. It's pretty short: I'm pretty sure it was five levels, with two stages and a boss in each.

Yeah, in the manual his full name is Tongara du Pepperoucho. Made sense to me to just call him Tongara, since two other characters would also be called Pepperoucho, otherwise.

alienjesus wrote:I don't get the love for Zwei myself. I found it to be incredibly easy (I blasted through it the first time I ever played it) and really empty feeling compared to the first game, where you were constantly kept on your toes. The first game was very hard though, which required me to change how I held the controller. Hitting any of A,B or C would make you shoot, so by putting your fingers on all 3 and rapidly tapping them in succession would make you shoot super fast. I can't comment on the soundtracks as it's been some time since I played them both, but it's probably worth noting that I can remember a few tunes from Panzer 1, but nothing at all comes to mind for Zwei.

Yeah, I had actually picked up on that rapid fire technique while I was playing, but I tend to tire quickly of holding a controller like that. The first game is absolutely the more intense experience, but I feel like that's largely due to the limited continues. I think the main reason I was able to beat it this time was because I did so well with my shot-down-percentage in the first four episodes, and didn't get hung up on the episode 4 boss. The framerate in the original was really an issue for me, though. It was a bit difficult to keep track of projectiles, and enemies. Also the way the camera moves made it really difficult to actually shoot down projectiles coming in from inconvenient angles.

I agree that PD1 has some really memorable tracks, but aside from the title music, and the episode 1 BGM, I don't remember much of it. Those two tracks do feel really sweeping, and grand; I feel like those qualities of the soundtrack make up for some of the ways in which the original falls short in terms of world building. PD1 feels a little bit like a game that hit a "deliverable" point in development, and was whisked out the door of Team Andromeda. On the other hand, I feel Zwei had a little more of a gestation period, where it got to sort of marinade in audio/visual bliss. One of the main things about the game that I attribute to my enjoyment of it (aside from the stage backdrops) was the emphasis on the bond between dragon and rider. That's one thing that I was happy to see in Orta, as well.

alienjesus wrote:I liked Orta, and considered it better than Zwei, but I agree with some of your points. My biggest obstacle for Orfta was playing it on XBox. I just HATE that controller. I found it hard getting used to utilising the boost and brake mechanic too.

Agree to disagree? Zwei and Saga are about equally fantastic, for me, but I think of the series as pretty much two tiers of quality (not including Mini).
Yeah, I have an S controller, and the face buttons were murder on my thumb. I've never been able to even tolerate the Duke. I had a fair amount of difficulty keeping up with which button was boost, which one was break, and where I was in the order of dragon transformations. There's just a little too much going on, on screen, at any particular time for that set up to feel reasonable.

The thing I hated most about the game was that one attack the final boss did, with repeated bundles of homing laser, that all had to be locked on to in order to not be hit by it. If they weren't so ridiculously damaging, it might be okay, but I was on that boss for over an hour because of that attack. Got an S rank for that episode once I did actually beat it, though--. :?
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:48 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)

20. Song of the Deep (PS4)

Another Metroid-like down, and another one fairly enjoyed. It's better than okay, but it's not amazing or anything. It ain't no Axiom Verge, I'll tell ya that much! :P . I played through on normal mode, and it took me about 8 hours to 98% the collectibles with all achievements (which are very easy to get).

You move in a 360 degree submarine, a bit like capsized. You slowly go around the map, getting moneys for upgrades, health and missle-mana upgrades, and new powers. The narrative is simple but sweet, but nothing special. The graphics are all 2.5D and quite pretty, but there are some very noticeable framerate dips in some areas which are very annoying. The fact that you're just floating around and not actually platforming takes a lot of the nuance and skill away from the combat that something like a name-brand Metroidvania or Axiom Verge has. It's ultimately one of the game's biggest downsides, in my opinion.

Verdict: Recommended... but. It's not the best Metroidvania out there atm. If you haven't played Axiom Verge, then there's really no reason to go for this first (unless you don't want to spoil yourself first ;P). It's good, but not great.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:18 am

1. Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (XBOX)
2. Super Smash Bros WiiU (WiiU)
3. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
4. Shantae and the Pirate's Curse (WiiU)
5. Ys I Chronicles (PSP)
6. TMNT The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)

7. Final Fantasy Brave Exvius (Android)

I've reached the current end of the story in Brave Exvius, enough to call it beaten for the moment. This is a freemium game with an episodic story, so it is only a matter of time for the story to expand though.

A good friend was playing this for a couple of months when he came to visit early this year. He would be considered a "whale" in this game, and I'm strongly averse to spending money on his type of game, but watching him play got me interested enough to give the a try.

This is also a "gacha" game, and my first pulled character happened to be one of the most sought after at the time; that probably got me hooked early on. The characters come from a wide variety of the Final Fantasy games, spinoffs and related series. If you are an FF fanboy it is worth trying just for that aspect.

I haven't spent a dime on this game and my very put together a reasonable collection of characters. The story is fairly easy, and I usually can use my second tier of characters to advance that. My top group gets to battle in the coliseum​ and some of the challenges/quests that come every week.

There's enough activity to keep even free players pretty busy, unless you spend all of your time on your phone. I find it much more generous than Fire Emblem Heroes in that respect. Now that I've reached the end of the story it has slowed down a little, but I suspect it won't be too long before the next continent becomes available.

I doubt I'll stop playing this game anytime in the near future, it passes the time well and is interesting enough to keep me coming back.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:00 am

pierrot wrote:Yeah, I noticed, from some long-plays, that the final boss is really easy with all the powerups, but I brute forced it the way I would have as a kid. I was able to hold on to powerups a lot more easily in Saturn Bomberman, which is probably why that game seemed so much easier. (Also, I think Saturn Bomberman was just generally easier.)

Yeah, Saturn Bomberman is a breeze compared to Mega Bomberman. I've also played Bomberman 93 and Bomberman for Turbografx, and those are tougher too. They're not as good as Mega or Saturn though.

I love Coo's broom ability, where he becomes a feather duster, in Dream Land 3. It makes me actually giggle. I made sure to pick up all the heart stars, in Dream Land 3, before I left a world, and it added a lot of time to just beating the game. It probably hampered my enjoyment of the game, a little, because of it (although the mini-game stages are usually a crap shoot, and legitimately dumb). For that reason, I'm liable to not recommend bothering with the true ending, but the fight itself is at least slightly easier than the one in Dream Land 2. Some really classic soundtracks in those games, too. Just thinking about the games brings up a ton of themes in my head.

I think I was working on all the heart stars actually - me and my girlfriend played through it in co-op. We have them all for worlds 1-3 I think? And then maybe half after that.

pierrot wrote:Yeah, I did ultimately enjoy playing through it, but would also have trouble revisiting it later. I have zero interest in getting 100 pts in each stage, and the bonus stages, too. It's actually one game I really wish had a boss-rush mode, though. I would definitely play that.

The 100 point thing is why I'll probably never complete that game. That type of super rigorous exploration just isn't my cup of tea.

pierrot wrote:Agree to disagree? Zwei and Saga are about equally fantastic, for me, but I think of the series as pretty much two tiers of quality (not including Mini).
Yeah, I have an S controller, and the face buttons were murder on my thumb. I've never been able to even tolerate the Duke. I had a fair amount of difficulty keeping up with which button was boost, which one was break, and where I was in the order of dragon transformations. There's just a little too much going on, on screen, at any particular time for that set up to feel reasonable.

The thing I hated most about the game was that one attack the final boss did, with repeated bundles of homing laser, that all had to be locked on to in order to not be hit by it. If they weren't so ridiculously damaging, it might be okay, but I was on that boss for over an hour because of that attack. Got an S rank for that episode once I did actually beat it, though--. :?

I don't remember Orta very well to be honest, as it was a while ago I played that one too. I remember having some trouble with a few stages, it definitely seems to be the hardest in the series.

I also have a XBox controller S. Lots of people claim it fixes all of the issues of the duke, but those people are crazy. The buttons still feel horrible, the dpad is still useless, the whole thing is still uncomfortable to hold, and now the black, white, start and back buttons are in literally the worst position of any controller I've had the misfortune of using. Whose idea was it to put the button that pauses the game directly under where you thumb sits when using the left analogue stick?!
marurun

by marurun Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:27 am

Mega Bomberman is the MD version of Bomberman 94 on PCE, and I think the PCE version is better.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Mar 26, 2017 11:43 am

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)

21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)

My brother's favorite fighting game when he was back in college, which I happened to find at the local resale store for real cheap a few months back. It's good fun, but I'm pretty bad at it. I'm not the biggest Naruto fan, but I did watch a decent portion of the original series back then the English dub was on TV, so I'm reasonably familiar with the story in the mission mode. It's fun, but I'm not very good at it Xp

It's an Eighting game, so like Tatsunoko Vs. Capcom, it's a matter of simple to learn, hard to master. A normal attack button and a special attack button along with joystick combonations make up your normal attack ripitioure. After that, you've got a big mess of combos, dashing clockwise and counter-clockwise, a chakra bar for directional counters and supers, as well as counters to really spice things up and make you feel like you're trash at fighting games (which I am :P ). The game loads CRAZY fast for a disk game though. Like, you'd almost think it was on a cartridge with how quick it loads. The framerate dips during some of the super move animations, but other than that, it runs great and looks really smooth as well.

The presentation is top notch. The voice acting is all great (if it isn't from the show directly, it's definitely the same voice actors), and characters will even have unique enterance dialogue depending on whom they're fighting. Music is varried and fun, lots of very colorful stages which are locations from the show. Tons of characters, but they take FOREVER to unlock. That is the worst thing I can say about the game: It would literally take you days of grinding money to unlock all the characters (something which I did not do. I just beat the arcade and mission modes).

Verdict: Recommended. If you like Gamecube 4-player fighters, this one is great fun with some great depth. It starts with 10 of 25 characters unlocked, and it's not an insurmountable feat to unlock a few more (unless you're dead set on Orochimaru or Itashi, in which case you're gonna be there for a long while). It's pretty cheap as well, so it won't break the bank!
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:32 pm

marurun wrote:Mega Bomberman is the MD version of Bomberman 94 on PCE, and I think the PCE version is better.

Oh, I'm aware it's a port. Either version of Bomberman 94 is significantly better than Bomberman 93 and Bomberman on PC Engine though imo.

I haven't played the PCE version of Bomberman 94 to compare it to the Mega Drive port.
Return to General Gaming