6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)

15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)

Got through this in more like 6 or 7 hours, which is more along the lines of Howlongtobeat. It was promised to be better than Part 1, and it certainly was!

This DLC focuses highly on stealth, for the most part. You can now do stealth takedowns, you can take down enemies non-lethally, and you even get a plasmid that's akin to Dark Vision from Dishonored that lets you see some loot and enemies through walls, and even lets you cloak (given this came out some year and a half after Dishonored, the influence is obvious). Your new weapon is crossbow, but it's fairly stealth focused. This ain't the crossbow from Bioshock 1, as it uses tranq-darts, KO-gas explosion darts, and noisemaking darts. All of this is introduced to you very quickly, so there's no beating around the bush with the new, fun toys.

The level design is pretty big, and it took me a while to explore it all, despite how small it actually is. I thought I explored way more than I needed to, but clearly not nearly enough as I missed five audio logs (compared to one a piece in the main game and BaS Part 1)! The Big Daddy wandering around is also a constant threat as well, as he's impossible to take down. Given how this is so stealth focused compared to the main game and the first 2 DLC's, which are far more action-games, this reminded me a lot of the Dead Money DLC for Fallout New Vegas (as a reference). At the very least the stealth emphasis makes plasmid/vigor traps worth a hell of a lot more than how worthless they were in the main game.

The story is head-and-shoulders above Part 1's. It felt far more relevant to the greater story that a crossover game between the two universes tried to tell, and it even goes to explain one of the more iconic scenes you come across in Bioshock 1. The twist is pretty easy to see coming, but I thought it was clever, and my journey didn't feel like a total waste of time like Part 1's did.

Verdict: Recommended. If the main game didn't quite do it for you, this is a very good add on to add a bit more closure to that experience. Unless you're really dying to know what leads up to it first-hand (they relate it to you well enough) in Part 1, I'd say that's totally worth skipping for this. This is as close to a Minerva's Den experience as Infinite gets, though I wouldn't say it's quite that good.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Juan Aguacate Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:32 pm

dsheinem wrote:
Juan Aguacate wrote:
Every year there's that one average game that every one gushes over. This year it's Horizon Zero Dawn

On what basis do you craft your bizarre world view concerning what makes for quality games and/or good game reviews? You were similarly coming out of left field in this other thread in ways I articulated here. iirc, in that thread you argued that reviewers don't really know very much about the genres/companies/series they review....and that absence of knowledge was the problem with some of their reviews.

I was talking about reviews on retro style games, where most reviewers aren't that knowledgible about them. The average person reviewing a game like Mother Russia Bleeds hasn't actually grown up playing beat 'em ups in a late 80s, early 90s arcade.

But whatever, I have nothing else to say about Horizon Zero Dawn. If people love that generic, derivative and mediocre game, more power to them. I'm just glad there's a few people out there who haven't drunk the kool aid

https://gamecritics.com/brad-gallaway/h ... wn-review/

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/horizon ... awn-review

That's 2 of the very few reviews actually giving the game scores it deserves among the sea of ridiculous 9s and 10s its been getting.

Destructoid gave it a 7.5, which I'm okay with. At least there's acknowledgement there that it's not this flawless masterpiece that others are calling it

https://www.destructoid.com/review-hori ... 6881.phtml
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Mar 11, 2017 6:37 pm

January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)

February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)

March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)

Yeah, the first thing I finished on the Switch wasn't Zelda! If you're looking for a great game to go with that must-play game, Blaster Master Zero is the right choice.

Effectively, the game is a sort of combination remake/reimagining. Several areas are similar or the same as the first game in the overworld, but there are also new areas and layouts as well.

Much like the original game, you pilot SOPHIA III, an awesome battletank that you gradually upgrade over the course of the game. There are both old and new powers to grab. Some come in the form of optional weapons, some are movement-related, and some are charge-shot items. They are all powered by your weapons bar, which takes the place of your ammo as well as your hover bar from the original. And while you find weapon recharges, the bar also recharges on its own.

You can also find life upgrades, eventually doubling your health. And the gun powerup system is still in place here, with some tweaks. A hit will still drop you a level, but now you can actually select which level of gun you want to use. So it ranges from everything between a longer-range shot to a shotgun to a flamethrower to the ultimate level, which pretty much crushes everything. Seriously, we're talking Gradius-level shenanigans if you can hold on to it. In another nice move, gun powerups are plentiful, and can also be dropped by enemies, so you can keep powered up pretty easily for most of the game.

The unfortunate part (or fortunate, depending on your point of view) is that being able to keep such a powerful gun more easily means that you'll make mincemeat of most bosses. And there is also an optional pickup that will protect your gun level from one hit. It will recharge relatively quickly to defend it again, but suffice it to say it makes things even easier.

That's not saying there won't be some challenge, though. Towards the end, things ramp up a bit, although I hesitate to say it ever gets truly "Nintendo hard". The game is far too forgiving for that, with multiple save points, generous respawn spots, and the blissful ability to stop playing and start again unlike the original.

Graphically, the game looks very good. It's somewhere between an 8-bit and 16-bit style. The color scheme is bright, with areas having lots of pop, and it definitely fits the overall mood of the game. It's also got a splendid soundtrack, some of which sounds like some vintage Konami (some NES, but even more so MSX, with Area 2 reminding me a lot of Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake), and of course, some cool-sounding Sunsoft-ish basslines.

Really, my only other gripe with the game is that on the Switch, you can currently only use the Joy-Cons. This means that you don't get a real d-pad, which takes some getting used to, whether using the buttons (sometimes passable, sometimes too easy to hit way more buttons than needed) or the analog stick (which works in most instances because of the decreased throw distance in the analogs, but still more imprecise than I'd like).

Oh, and the story is totally patterned after the ridiculous US version, and not the serious-ish Japanese version. It's somehow both silly and actually works. I should go dig out my Worlds of Power book for the original. ;)

TL;DR version: If you like Blaster Master at all, buy this game.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:36 pm

Sounds amazing. What a nice surprise. Anyone know if this is a Nintendo exclusive or what?
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:15 pm

Sarge wrote:with multiple save points / the blissful ability to stop playing and start again unlike the original

Xeogred wrote:Anyone know if this is a Nintendo exclusive or what?

Currently it's only available for 3DS and Switch. I doubt you'll see it on Steam anytime soon.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:13 am

I can probably wait, I just wonder if it's a cemented exclusive. It sure came out of nowhere, regardless. But looks like a great surprise. Super Mario Odyssey might temp me on the Switch later this year and I need a 3DS for all the Zelda's, so I'll probably get around to it sometime if it doesn't come out anywhere else.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:24 am

Xeogred wrote:I need a 3DS

Xeogred is going to play a handheld? What alternate reality is this?!
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Mar 12, 2017 1:03 am

The cheapest way to get into 3DS gaming is with the 2DS, as you probably know. Larger screens are nice, though. The 3D is just a'ight, although it's much improved on the New model.

It really did come out of nowhere. I didn't hear much about it until right before it dropped, and it's everything I could have ever expected or hoped in a Blaster Master sequel.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older. Now with a modern gaming section!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun Mar 12, 2017 2:52 am

I've thought about the 2DS route, but I really do want the biggest screen possible. I like the idea of going fully digital with a handheld too.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:55 am

Yeah, go with the XL then. I went to the larger model to cut down on eye strain. Just another reminder I'm getting older. :P
Return to General Gaming