Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: What happened to beat em' ups?

by alienjesus Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:28 am

Sorry, Exhuminator, but gotta agree with the other guys on this one. Someone expressed a liking for a 2D beat-em-up in a thread about 2D beat-em-ups and the response you gave was essentially 'who gives a fuck'.

I mean, I do? Maybe the thread starter does, seeing as he's clearly a fan of 2D beat-em-ups? It's not like it was off topic.

I don't think calling someone 'insane' for not liking a game is outright offensive, I think you're insane for not liking some of the games you don't like :lol:

I'm not trying to antagonise you here either, just saying it felt unnecessary.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:32 am

Wow, what a clusterfuck this thread has quickly become. Just to clarify a bit:

First, Ex baby, that "RAWR" post was not directed at you but rather directed toward that Juan dude who was clearly acting like an asshole to you. Sorry you read it that way. I don't really recognize Juan's name, but he seems like a bit of a blowhard - all sound and fury, signifying nothing and the like....

Secondly, Juan dude, a few things:

-You need to offer some kind of better argument than "no, I think the feel is off" if you want to suggest the game is not in a similar vein of SOR2. Sure...the question of the "feel" of the game is somewhat subjective, I suppose, but the creators of the game regularly cite having studied SOR2 closely and being inspired by the classics of the genre in interviews around the game's development. They discuss starting from there for design ideas and and then building on the ideas found in the classics of the genre (with newer mechanics like using the syringe). I actually thought MRB played more like Golden Axe instead of SOR2, but overall it "feels" much closer to the Sega games of the 16-bit era than Castle Crashers or Samurai Dishwasher, etc. which feel a far bit "smoother" and "slick" than was typically possible during that time. MRB is sometimes faster than a 16-bit game and it offers some design innovations that clearly draw inspiration from stuff like Hotline Miami and Scott Pilgrim, but at its core it is much closer in experience to the games that people like myself grew up with than anything that has come out in the past decade or so.

- I mention critical consensus for several reasons. First, while some individual critics might be unqualified to judge certain games well (e.g. some may lack a working experience of the history of the genre of something they review), in aggregate they are certainly a valuable source of insight into a game's relative merit. Second, reviewers are typically asked to review games by editors, who themselves are invested in assigning the right people to the job and producing quality reviews as a way to build their readership and reputation. Thus, many end up reviewing games where they do know the history of its genre, and many of them - increasingly over the last decade - are less interested in making "consumer recommendations" than they are about judging a game on its own merits, in the context of its time, and with the goal of evaluating the game's value beyond simply rote "categories" for creating a review score. ...Still, your point about critics not being the only barometer of quality is a fair one. MRB only has a 70% on Metacritic for example, and around the same in aggregate most other places. So, I will concede that it has some knocks against it - but those criticisms are typically about the game's story, or its hyper violence, or about the difficulty of the (especially final) boss fights - those observations are what usually brings down the score. But the a "score" is simply a lone element of the review that is, for our purposes, secondary to the discussion in those reviews of the presence of the classic "feel". Almost all critics praise its adherence to traditional genre conventions, to its homage elements, to its incorporation of classic movement, retro-visuals, similar level pacing, hit detection, object usage, etc. Beyond these critical observations, amongst "players" (such on on Steam or YouTube), the game is reviewed "very positively" with most citing how much it "feels" like a classic game.

tldr: You said "I would challenge anyone to actually claim that the "feel" of MRB's combat is anywhere even close to being as good as Streets of Rage 2". Well, there's a mountain of well-qualified folks that agree with me on the issue of "feel", and very few that seem to hold your opinion that there's a problem with the game on this point. That's why I thought your opinion on the matter (and general slogging of the game) was a bit "insane" given your claims to know the genre as well as you do. It just makes little sense.

What I'd really value is Gamerforlife's take on MRB. Is he still around? He's long been our resident BUP expert...
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:00 am

dsheinem wrote:Ex baby, that "RAWR" post was not directed at you but rather directed toward that Juan dude who was clearly acting like an asshole to you.

Juan has never acted like an asshole to me, Juan is a cool dude. It was Kuruwin who was acting unnecessarily contentious in the other thread.
dsheinem wrote:Sorry you read it that way. I don't really recognize Juan's name, but he seems like a bit of a blowhard - all sound and fury, signifying nothing and the like....

I read it that way because you posted the image directly after my post. If you'd quoted something from Kuruwin in your "RAWR" post, there wouldn't have been room for ambiguity.
alienjesus wrote:I'm not trying to antagonise you here either, just saying it felt unnecessary.

Fair enough. I agree it was misplaced counterplay on my behalf. Just as it was unnecessary for others to call me a dick and an ass in tandem. But I'll kindly take my disgruntled self away from this thread, so that the delicious beat 'em up conversation can continue unabated.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:21 am

Apologies, Juan - the dino was for that poll citing dood.

Thanks, Ex, for clarifying.
Tanooki
Next-Gen

by Tanooki Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:23 pm

Wow this imploded and all around being upset over one game, and then the usual throwback of nothing lives up to SOR2 which is just a Sega fans humorous opinion. Play whatever you want sheesh.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:25 pm

Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:30 pm

But the thread is about beat-'em-ups! We should engage in fisticuffs to settle this! ;)

Anyway, sounds like we're all sorted now. Carry on!
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:33 pm

Sarge wrote:But the thread is about beat-'em-ups! We should engage in fisticuffs to settle this! ;)

Anyway, sounds like we're all sorted now. Carry on!

We should settle our disputes in tge NES Double Dragon Arena!!!! Grahhhhh!!!!!!!
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:57 pm

Tanooki wrote:Wow this imploded and all around being upset over one game, and then the usual throwback of nothing lives up to SOR2 which is just a Sega fans humorous opinion. Play whatever you want sheesh.

I never said nothing lives up to Streets of Rage 2.

I said nothing lives up to Streets of Rage 2 AND Guardian Heroes :lol:
Ack

by Ack Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:02 pm

Guys, so help me God, I will stop this forum and make you all walk.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
Return to General Gaming