Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by alienjesus Mon May 15, 2017 11:54 am

I have the port of Contra 3 to the GB (or at least the European equivalent, Probotector). It plays pretty well and is quite faithful. The Fire power up is definitely the best one in the portable version though - spread is a bit meh due to the limit of number of bullets on screen making it shoot much more slowly.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon May 15, 2017 3:02 pm

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 45
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (8 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*

45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*

Metal Slug is the first entry in what is - in my opinion - the greatest arcade run-n-gun series of all time. It's the reason that I hunted down a Neo Geo MVS cabinet, and it provided some of my all-time favorite Wii co-op memories when playing Metal Slug Anthology. I'm more than a little biased, but this series is one of SNK's greatest masterpieces, and it all started with this game.

The basic plot is that this evil General Morden took over the world's governments and took possession of a new all-terrain war tank called Metal Slugs. Marco Rossi and Tarma Roving are sent in to reclaim or destroy any Metal Slugs they find and to locate and destroy Morden's base of operations. They complete this critical mission by running to the right and killing every enemy soldier in their way (of which there seems to be an endless supply). Along the way, you encounter POWs you can free. If you save these prisoners, they pull large weapons - heavy machine guns, rocket launchers, flamethrowers, etc - out their anuses. At least I'm assuming that's where they were hiding them. Not really any other place I can think of to hide heavy weapons when you're just wearing rags and are being tied up by the enemy.

The game itself is extremely simple in concept, but as an arcade game designed to eat your quarters, it's insanely difficult. I also suck at it, so it's a damn good thing I can set the cabinet to Free Play and just continue infinitely. I could play every day for the rest of my life, and I'm fully confident that I'd still never be able to 1cc the game. It's a great challenge, though, and it's ridiculously fun when you're playing with a friend.

In addition to running and gunning through enemy soldiers, if you get close enough to then, you can stab them with a knife and kill them (which is RIDICULOUSLY satisfying to do). You'll also have to content with enemy tanks, artillery, planes, helicopters, and patrol boats. While you'll play through most of the game on foot, there are several occasions where you'll get to take control of a Metal Slug. You get an infinite ammo machine gun while you're in the Metal Slug, and your grenades are replaced with cannon shells. One level at the end, you get to use an anti-aircraft gun and massacre whole squadrons of fighters. It's basically the coolest shit of 1996.

Metal Slug isn't the greatest run and gun game of all time, but it is the progenitor of the greatest run and gun series of all time. I stand by that statement; fight me. The biggest problem I have with this first entry in the series is that there's some serious slow down on the arcade version. Later ports fixed that for the most part, but it's a pretty jarring thing on the arcade. Honestly, though, that's my only real complaint. It's just so damn good, especially when you've got a friend to play with you. My recommendation is to play it on PS2 or Wii on Metal Slug Anthology or on the digital release on Switch, but however you play it, it kicks ass.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Mon May 15, 2017 3:13 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)
26. Vanquish (PS3)
27. Watchdogs 2 (PS4)
28. Pikmin (Wii)
29. Pikmin 3 (Wii U)

30. Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker (Wii U)

Didn't wanna put away the Wii U quite yet, so I picked up another short-ish game I've had for a while. I did all of the crystal thingies and secret challenges in the main 3 episodes and all the bonus levels up to the endurence mummy one, at which point I called uncle because my fingers were getting tired from holding down the run button. (Fun note, I didn't know there was a run button until after I beat the game, so if any of you were wondering if you can totally 100% the main campaign without running, the answer is yes :P ).

It's the Toad mini-game from Mario 3D World but it's own game! It's actually a really great puzzle game. There's a lot of care and detail put into each tiny level, and getting through the main 62 will certainly take you a while. Then if you aren't done, there are some really punishing extra levels you unlock afterward that you can suffer with :P . The difficulty curve is great. The game is never too hard, but also always keeps pushing you a little bit further.

There are some attention to detail things that blew my mind. For example, you have a headlamp you can turn off with X, and I thought it was just a flavor thing. Turns out, it actually affects enemies' awareness of you! In dark levels, enemies like Shy Guys or Goombas won't notice you nearly as easily if you keep it off, which can be a real life saver. Little things like that made me really like this game.

Verdict: Highly recommended. It's a fantastic puzzle platformer with all the quality you'd expect from Nintendo. Definitely worth a go through if you can find it for like $20 like I did.
Last edited by PartridgeSenpai on Mon May 15, 2017 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon May 15, 2017 3:16 pm

Metal Slug on MVS is good times.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Mon May 15, 2017 3:28 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:Metal Slug on MVS is good times.

Yeah man. I suck ass at it, but damn, it's great.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

marurun

by marurun Mon May 15, 2017 3:37 pm

Metal Slug was made by Nazca, and it's pretty easy to tell that Nazca were former Irem staffers. Metal Slug has a lot of that late-era Irem attention to detail, and also a lot of that late-era Irem slowdown. Once Nazca learned the Neo Geo hardware better they had a lot less trouble with that.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Mon May 15, 2017 3:40 pm

Yep, you can really see the influence from GunForce 2, although Metal Slug is a much more polished product.
marurun

by marurun Mon May 15, 2017 3:52 pm

Irem's In the Hunt and Armored Police Unit Gallop have a lot of similarities in color and shading. In the Hunt also has slowdown in the arcade, iirc.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Mon May 15, 2017 6:55 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:
BoneSnapDeez wrote:Metal Slug on MVS is good times.

Yeah man. I suck ass at it, but damn, it's great.

Yeah it's hard as hell.

By the way, I 1 CC'ed it. :lol:

I need to get the Neo Geo hooked back up.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 15, 2017 7:26 pm

Speaking of Irem, Undercover Cops is a pretty solid beat em' up. Checked it out recently. Some of the art and animation is really impressive. Seems a bit long though.
Return to General Gaming