Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:07 am

alienjesus wrote:Why only as a Dynamite Headdy machine when there's so many other Treasure games to enjoy? Plus, y'know, all the other cool games for the system?

I don't know what the boss I struggled with is called in English since I've never reached him in the western version, but he's right before the final boss, and the japanese version of the level is called Funny Angry. You flip the floor and ceiling and he goes from green to red and tries to crush you against the wall.

Ohhh, Funny Angry! He's Twin Freaks in English! People seem to have a REALLY hard time with him as well. He usually kills me at least once, but I've never found him too miserably hard. On that topic, it's kinda weird how the level names between English and Japanese rotate in cleverness. Like how I think only the Japanese version has the level called Stair Wars, and it also only has Terminate Her Too :lol:

Dynamite Headdy happens to be one of the very few games that I really like on Genesis that also isn't available on the PS2 or PS3 Genesis Collection games. DH is by far my most played Genesis game, but I own a couple more other than that as well. The Toejam & Earl games, Mega Bomberman, and Wiz & Liz. I also just don't like that many Genesis games. I don't think this is exactly the thread to get into the intimates of that topic though :lol:
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:36 am

pierrot wrote:
alienjesus wrote:I don't know what the boss I struggled with is called in English since I've never reached him in the western version, but he's right before the final boss, and the japanese version of the level is called Funny Angry. You flip the floor and ceiling and he goes from green to red and tries to crush you against the wall.
Are you serious? That thing is just before the final boss? I always eat it there, on the Western release. It infuriates me so. I spend all that time getting the secret boss code, and collecting continues, only to have them drain away on that damn walker monster.

Yeah, literally you beat him and the next stage is just a boss fight against the final boss, who is notably easier, although might take a few tries as you figure out his pattern (hint: you want the tiny head basically every chance you can get it).

Xeogred wrote:Nice, maybe I'll try Dynamite out again soon...

Shinobi III has the most nostalgic inducing OST of all time for me. Takes me back perfectly to everything going on when I was 5, the people, places, homes, Tennessee, etc. It's magical. That and Thunder Force IV are my favorite Genesis OST's by a few dozen miles.

I don't think any Mega Drive OST can beat out Streets of Rage 1 for me, as cliche as that is to say.

Sarge wrote:I still don't get all the love that Revenge of the Shinobi gets, but Shinobi III is one of the best platformers of that era, no question.

Whaaaa??? But Revenge of Shinobi is awesome too :o

PartridgeSenpai wrote:Ohhh, Funny Angry! He's Twin Freaks in English! People seem to have a REALLY hard time with him as well. He usually kills me at least once, but I've never found him too miserably hard. On that topic, it's kinda weird how the level names between English and Japanese rotate in cleverness. Like how I think only the Japanese version has the level called Stair Wars, and it also only has Terminate Her Too :lol:

Dynamite Headdy happens to be one of the very few games that I really like on Genesis that also isn't available on the PS2 or PS3 Genesis Collection games. DH is by far my most played Genesis game, but I own a couple more other than that as well. The Toejam & Earl games, Mega Bomberman, and Wiz & Liz. I also just don't like that many Genesis games. I don't think this is exactly the thread to get into the intimates of that topic though :lol:

He destroyed me over and over and over. 33 hits when he can kill you so easily is bad enough, but it also makes the fight drag out and it becomes super easy to take hits from his flying minions and spikes. I burned through 3 continues on that bugger.

Other great Mega Drive games you should play that I don't believe are on any of the collections:

Castle of Illusion
Chiki Chiki Boys
Gauntlet 4
Herzog Zwei
The Lion King
Marvel Land
Quackshot
Ranger X
Rocket Knight Adventures
World of Illusion
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:00 am

That maze area at the end? That is the opposite of awesome. :(
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:25 am

Yeah, I'll give you that one.

The other 17 or so levels though? Pretty great.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:33 am

How many Valis games you finished aj?
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:41 am

Yeah, it's pretty solid up until that point. It's still not my favorite, but it's good up until then.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

by alienjesus Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:45 am

BoneSnapDeez wrote:How many Valis games you finished aj?

I've finished 1, 2 and 3, all on PC Engine. I have 4, but I've not put in the time to beat it yet.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:30 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)

26. Vanquish (PS3)

Exhumy Senpai is always recommending this game, so I picked it up a while back and finally decided to get to it now. It reminded me a lot of Binary Domain, to be honest. Kind of silly 3rd person shooter with heavy sci-fi elements and very pretty robots to kill. The story of Binary Domain is much more Yakuza in how dramatic it is, though. Vanquish's story is much more Metal Gear Revengence in how silly and parodist it felt. For reference, I played through on normal and it took me a little under 5 hours.

It's a cover shooter with some cool gimmicks. You can do different melees with different guns, you can boost around to get towards or away from an enemy quick, and you can also activate a bullet-time effect to get more accuracy and damage. The main problem is that these are all linked to the same rechargeable bar. This makes it fairly difficult to do anything super fancy without some advanced knowledge of what's coming, as you can't dash or bullet-time for very long before your meter runs out, and melee-ing an enemy completely depletes the bar. You also die pretty quick, so there's not a ton of room to experiment with that kind of nonsense.

Dying also sucks a fair bit. There are a good few guns in the game, and if you pick up an upgrade or another of that gun while you have full ammo for it and it'll slowly upgrade into better versions of itself. More max ammo, more max magazine size, more damage, faster fire rate, etc. It varies depending on the specific level up and the specific gun. The reason dying sucks is that it can downgrade all of your current guns. Even your grenades can get downgraded (as they can be upgraded the same way). I never found an exact formula for how many times you could die and not lose upgrades, but it was still a really annoying penalty.

That said, the game is super pretty, and the textures load right quick for a console game. There are several Platinum/Clover Studios references sprinkled throughout which made me giggle, like "whisky a go-go, baby!" :lol: . Lots of big bosses to fight as well that are a proper good challenge, even if the same one does get recycled quite a few times :?

Verdict: Recommended. It's kinda campy and sci-fi and the guns feel good, but I still prefer Binary Domain. I can definitely see why this got a lot more shade when it came out at $60, this was a pretty darn short game for that price. It's much more pallatable at 10-ish, and same goes for Binary Domain at $5. Bottom line, if you don't like this, you just might like Binary Domain :wink: :lol:

I do think I'm gonna play some more Grasshopper Manufacture games this week though. Granted they didn't make this one, but they worked with the director of this game (Shinji Mikami) on Shadows of the Damned, and remembering that reminded me of all the GM games I have gone out of my way to get but haven't played. Looking forward to Killer is Dead tomorrow :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:but I still prefer Binary Domain

Binary Domain will be the next 360 game I play.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 am

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4 *new*
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4 *new*
Total: 13

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

What a beautiful, devestating game from the makers of Unfinished Swan. I think anyone who has enjoyed other games in the genre (Gone Home, Dear Esther, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, etc.) will enjoy this riff on the genre. Finch offers a series of short vignettes each with their own gameplay, all masterfully done, all connected to a main story. To say much more would ruin it...but this is well worth the few hours a playthrough takes.
Return to General Gaming