6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)
23. Wario Land (VB)
24. Yakuza HD Edition (PS3)
25. Yakuza 2 HD Edition (PS3)

26. Vanquish (PS3)

Exhumy Senpai is always recommending this game, so I picked it up a while back and finally decided to get to it now. It reminded me a lot of Binary Domain, to be honest. Kind of silly 3rd person shooter with heavy sci-fi elements and very pretty robots to kill. The story of Binary Domain is much more Yakuza in how dramatic it is, though. Vanquish's story is much more Metal Gear Revengence in how silly and parodist it felt. For reference, I played through on normal and it took me a little under 5 hours.

It's a cover shooter with some cool gimmicks. You can do different melees with different guns, you can boost around to get towards or away from an enemy quick, and you can also activate a bullet-time effect to get more accuracy and damage. The main problem is that these are all linked to the same rechargeable bar. This makes it fairly difficult to do anything super fancy without some advanced knowledge of what's coming, as you can't dash or bullet-time for very long before your meter runs out, and melee-ing an enemy completely depletes the bar. You also die pretty quick, so there's not a ton of room to experiment with that kind of nonsense.

Dying also sucks a fair bit. There are a good few guns in the game, and if you pick up an upgrade or another of that gun while you have full ammo for it and it'll slowly upgrade into better versions of itself. More max ammo, more max magazine size, more damage, faster fire rate, etc. It varies depending on the specific level up and the specific gun. The reason dying sucks is that it can downgrade all of your current guns. Even your grenades can get downgraded (as they can be upgraded the same way). I never found an exact formula for how many times you could die and not lose upgrades, but it was still a really annoying penalty.

That said, the game is super pretty, and the textures load right quick for a console game. There are several Platinum/Clover Studios references sprinkled throughout which made me giggle, like "whisky a go-go, baby!" :lol: . Lots of big bosses to fight as well that are a proper good challenge, even if the same one does get recycled quite a few times :?

Verdict: Recommended. It's kinda campy and sci-fi and the guns feel good, but I still prefer Binary Domain. I can definitely see why this got a lot more shade when it came out at $60, this was a pretty darn short game for that price. It's much more pallatable at 10-ish, and same goes for Binary Domain at $5. Bottom line, if you don't like this, you just might like Binary Domain :wink: :lol:

I do think I'm gonna play some more Grasshopper Manufacture games this week though. Granted they didn't make this one, but they worked with the director of this game (Shinji Mikami) on Shadows of the Damned, and remembering that reminded me of all the GM games I have gone out of my way to get but haven't played. Looking forward to Killer is Dead tomorrow :)
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Exhuminator Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:59 am

PartridgeSenpai wrote:but I still prefer Binary Domain

Binary Domain will be the next 360 game I play.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Wed Apr 26, 2017 11:16 am

Games Beaten 2017
Inside - PS4
Street Fighter V - PS4
TIMEframe - PC
Rituals - PC
Mother Russia Bleeds - PC
Horizon: Zero Dawn - PS4
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
Here They Lie - PSVR
Dexed - PSVR
Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PSVR
Last Voyage - iOS
Ghost Blade HD - PS4 *new*
What Happened to Edith Finch - PS4 *new*
Total: 13

Previously: 2016 2015 2014 2013 2012 2011 2010

What a beautiful, devestating game from the makers of Unfinished Swan. I think anyone who has enjoyed other games in the genre (Gone Home, Dear Esther, Everyone's Gone to the Rapture, etc.) will enjoy this riff on the genre. Finch offers a series of short vignettes each with their own gameplay, all masterfully done, all connected to a main story. To say much more would ruin it...but this is well worth the few hours a playthrough takes.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

by Juan Aguacate Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:03 pm

A Boy and his Blob - PS4

This was the most boring puzzle game I've ever played. Add to that shitty boss fights, clunky controls, a complete lack of story, stupid AI from the blob, and the obnoxious voice of the brat you play as and it all amounts to a very shitty game from Wayforward

I never played the original, so I can't compare, but if it's anything like this remake than I'm glad I never played it

Also, I'm gonna come right out and say it, the art style sucks. It's bland and boring and I have no idea why the game got so much praise for it. The two protagonists have the most bland character designs I have ever seen in a game. The "boy" is some generic looking kid and there is nothing distinctive about this art style like you see from Akira Toriyama with Dragon Quest or the guys who did Castle Crashers, or even Dishwasher Dead Samurai. The game looks like shit. All the enemies and bosses look bland and boring too, most of them just being plain, boring, dark blobs. The game's look is lazy and half assed and anyone who can't see that has no real taste for visual art.

0 out of 10 for this snooze fest of a game.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:26 pm

Juan Aguacate wrote:*snip*

Everyone's entitled to their opinions, of course, but I really enjoyed the game when I played on Wii.
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:40 pm

Juan Aguacate wrote:A Boy and his Blob - PS4

This was the most boring puzzle game I've ever played. Add to that shitty boss fights, clunky controls, a complete lack of story, stupid AI from the blob, and the obnoxious voice of the brat you play as and it all amounts to a very shitty game from Wayforward

I never played the original, so I can't compare, but if it's anything like this remake than I'm glad I never played it

Also, I'm gonna come right out and say it, the art style sucks. It's bland and boring and I have no idea why the game got so much praise for it. The two protagonists have the most bland character designs I have ever seen in a game. The "boy" is some generic looking kid and there is nothing distinctive about this art style like you see from Akira Toriyama with Dragon Quest or the guys who did Castle Crashers, or even Dishwasher Dead Samurai. The game looks like shit. All the enemies and bosses look bland and boring too, most of them just being plain, boring, dark blobs. The game's look is lazy and half assed and anyone who can't see that has no real taste for visual art.

0 out of 10 for this snooze fest of a game.

I don't think we can ever get along. Adore this game so much. Played it on Wii and I can't imagine someone hating a game with a hug button! Game is awesome. Everything you said I feel is wrong. In bold made me laugh. Ok then mr elite! I have not played the game in a while so I am going to go play it and enjoy it with my no real taste for visual art. :lol:
Last edited by Segata on Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:00 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
retrosportsgamer
Next-Gen

by retrosportsgamer Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:52 pm

The game's look is lazy and half assed and anyone who can't see that has no real taste for visual art.

Your point has been painfully made. Everyone gets it. You gotta throw in a "if you don't agree with me you have NO TASTE" line? Come on, yo. Keep that stuff in YouTube comments. Smart people only here.
Segata
Next-Gen

by Segata Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:58 pm

Don't think I will every beat all 3000+ stages so I am going to cheat.
I beat the EX and AC mode in Darius Burst CS on PS4. Damn fun.
Dreamcast is love,Dreamcast is life!
Twitter Segata
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Thu Apr 27, 2017 8:45 am

retrosportsgamer wrote:

The game's look is lazy and half assed and anyone who can't see that has no real taste for visual art.

Your point has been painfully made. Everyone gets it. You gotta throw in a "if you don't agree with me you have NO TASTE" line? Come on, yo. Keep that stuff in YouTube comments. Smart people only here.

Word RSG. This crap has no place here.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Apr 27, 2017 9:01 am

Yikes. Let's all take a deep breath. No need to start the dog pile. Sometimes people get into rant mode when they don't like something. I know we are all guilty of crapping on stuff from time to time.

Yeah, you shouldn't starting making assumptions about other people if they like something you don't, but I chalked these comments as trying to be a YouTube personality and following the angry craze... Which again, I think is not cool.

People make stupid comments that they didn't necessarily intend to incite in others, it happens.

For the record, A Boy and His Blob is awesome.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to General Gaming