Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Sarge Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:59 am

Probably from Mega Man 2.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:25 am

Sarge wrote:Probably from Mega Man 2.

Good point, it's weird that he has a visor on MM2's box art. He doesn't on any of the other mainline MM box arts:

But then inexplicably for Mega Man 10's box art the visor is back!:

Now I'm even more confused than before. :|
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
marurun

by marurun Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:14 am

Actually, there is a visor in the MM1 box art, it is just hard to see.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 am

Yeah, I was gonna say, that looked like a visor, but the art is bad enough that it could probably argued if it really is or not.

I think I read an interview about Captain N in Retro, there were a lot of weird things from the show that were explained. I'll see if I can dig up a link.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:25 am

I can't tell if it's a visor, or if it's supposed to be a shadow from his helmet. God help us for even trying to decipher that legendarily terrible box art.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:31 am

Yep, that's why I said it's debatable for sure. :lol:
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:08 pm

Partridge Senpai's 2017 Beaten Games:

1. Tales of Hearts R (Vita)
2. UPPERS (Vita)
3. Volume (Vita)
4. Overlord: Minions (DS)
5. Kirby: Planet Robobot (3DS)
6. Overlord II (PS3)
7. Overlord: Dark Legend (Wii)
8. La-Mulana (Remake) (PC)
9. Infamous: Second Son (PS4)
10. htol#NiQ: The Firefly Diary (Vita)
11. Blood Bowl (360)
12. Dead to Rights: Retribution (360)
13. Bioshock Infinite (360)
14. Bioshock Infinite: Burial At Sea Part 1 (360)
15. Bioshock Infinite: Burial at Sea Part 2 (360)
16. Singularity (360)
17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)
18. Ultraman: Hikari No Kyojin Densetsu (Saturn)
19. Donkey Kong 64 (N64) (repeat)
20. Song of the Deep (PS4)
21. Naruto Gekitou Ninja Taisen 3 (GCN)
22. Banjo-Tooie (N64) (repeat)

23. Wario Land (VB)

Someone else wanted to use the television I use for Yakuza, so I took the down time, instead of doing something productive, to finish the Virtual Boy game I bought special. It's not too long, especially compared to Wario Land on Gameboy, as it took me 2.5 hours with a fair bit of faffing around looking for secrets.

It's Wario Land! It's great, of course! An action game all about finding treasure, punching baddies, and looking for secrets to get more treasure! The controls take a little getting used to, as Wario walks by default and runs when you hold a shoulder button, but other than that it's standard Wario. Another odd difference is that pressing B doesn't make you punch-dash. Instead, it makes you enter a kind of punch-mode, and then by pressing right or left you will initiate a punch-dash in that direction. Again, not bad, just different.

The level design in this one is a little strange, almost like they expect you to lose really, in a kind of Dead Rising-style (although I never ran out of lives to confirm this). The game has several stages, but no stage select. Instead, the game is essentially one looooong stage, where you can actually run back to the elevator at the beginning of a stage if for some reason you want to go back to a previous one: You just gotta run all the way back to it. Useful if you wanna run back for treasure you missed (and you're gonna want all of the special treasures (like they have in the Game Boy game) if you want the best ending!). There's also the Virtual Boy 3D-gimmick of this game, where you can hop into the background of a stage for more stage but with the same paralax scrolling.

Verdict: Very Recommended. It's Wario Land, so of course it's great. The only real fault I can say is the old problem that IT'S ON VIRTUAL BOY. If it were on anything else, it'd be an absolute classic, but just getting a Virtual Boy and then using it for any period of time are just both such awful pains that it's still a fairly serious complain XP
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat Apr 08, 2017 11:44 pm

I'm a huge fan of Wario Land on Virtual Boy. A lot of fun, doesn't overstay its welcome, and uses the 3D pretty well. It's still worth experiencing even without the 3D, though, and if you use something like Mednafen, it emulates quite well.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Apr 09, 2017 1:01 am

1. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
2. Sara Is Missing (Android)
3. Civilization V (PC)
4. Portal 2 (PC)

well, I finally beat Portal 2 picking up the save that I started... four years ago. It turns out I had played all the stuff that felt like Portal with funnier writing. I hadn't actually gotten to all the twists and turns that made the second game insanely unique and incredible. So yeah, I loved this.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sun Apr 09, 2017 7:27 am

Sarge wrote:I'm a huge fan of Wario Land on Virtual Boy. A lot of fun, doesn't overstay its welcome, and uses the 3D pretty well. It's still worth experiencing even without the 3D, though, and if you use something like Mednafen, it emulates quite well.

I totally agree! If I could buy it on the VC on my 3DS or something, I'd probably play that thing all the time. It's such a fantastic bite-sized bit of Wario that I can actually see myself going for better times (like it kind of encourages you to).

That final boss is TOUGH though. Took me like 9 tries to beat him, but maybe I'd be better now that I understand exactly how to hurt him.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Return to General Gaming