Games Beaten 2015

Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by noiseredux »

1. Beavis And Butt-Head In Virtual Stupidity (PC)
2. Renegade Ops (PC)
3. Arena Of Octos (Apple II)
4. Beauty And The Beast (Intellivision)
5. Chivalry (Apple II)
6. Donald Duck's Playground (C64)
7. Left 4 Dead (PC)
8. Left 4 Dead 2 (PC)
9. Fahrenheit: Indigo Prophecy Remastered (PC)
10. Forward To The Sky (PC)
11. Elevator Action (MSX)
12. Quake (PC)
13: Talisman: Digital Edition (PC)
14: Dead Or Alive 5 Last Round (PC)
15. Dragon Age Origins (PC)
16. Hearthstone (Android)
17. Toren (PC)
18. The Great Giana Sisters (Amiga)
19. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PC)
20. Lego Jurassic Park (PC)
21. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel (PC)
22. Cities Skylines (PC)
23. Borderlands The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)
24. Her Story (PC)
25. Hearthstone: Curse Of Naxxramus (PC)
26. Half-Life 2 (PC)
27. 9:05 (PC)
28. Mercenary Kings (PC)
29. Iron Brigade (PC)
30. NFL 2K (DC)

finished my game I started last year. Finished my season undefeated and went on to blow out the Vikings in the Super Bowl 59-7.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Post by BoneSnapDeez »

omfg it's a.... a... a console!!!
noiseredux
Next-Gen

Post by noiseredux »

Haha first time this year, but yeah been playing my Dreamcast again lately.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Post by REPO Man »

Borderlands for Xbox 360, though just the base game. Got all the missions done afaik and I'm gonna focus on getting the achievements and getting the DLC, one piece at a time.

Then gonna repeat the process (hopefully) with Borderlands 2 for the Xbox 360.
Ack

Post by Ack »

First 50:
1. Renegade Ops (PC)(Multidirectional Shooter)
2. Borderlands 2 (PC)(FPS/RPG)
3. Gunpoint (PC)(Puzzle Platformer)
4. Robotrek (SNES)(RPG)
5. The Tick (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
6. Alien vs Predator (SNES)(Beat 'Em Up)
7. X-Kaliber 2097 (SNES)(Action Platformer)
8. Metal Slug (MVS)(Run and Gun)
9. Shadowrun (SNES)(RPG)
10. Quake II (PC)(FPS)
11. The Twisted Tales of Spike McFang (SNES)(RPG)
12. Hotline Miami 2: Wrong Number (PC)(Action)
13. A Story About My Uncle (PC)(Platformer)
14. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II (PC)(FPS)
15. Star Wars Jedi Knight: Mysteries of the Sith (PC)(FPS)
16. Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
17. Catacomb Abyss (PC)(FPS)

18. Catacomb Armageddon (PC)(FPS)
19. Catacomb Apocalypse (PC)(FPS)
20. The Catacomb (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
21. Catacomb 3-D (PC)(FPS)
22. EarthBound (SNES)(RPG)
23. Quake II: Ground Zero (PC)(FPS)
24. Quake II: The Reckoning (PC)(FPS)
25. Lionheart: Legacy of the Crusader (PC)(RPG)
26. The 7th Guest (PC)(Puzzle)
27. Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness (PC)(RPG)
28. Loom (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
29. Castlevania: Dracula X (SNES)(Action Platformer)
30. System Shock 2 (PC)(Survival Horror FPS)
31. Final Fantasy V (SNES)(RPG)
32. Descent (PC)(FPS)
33. Mortal Kombat 2 (SNES)(Fighting)
34. Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis (PC)(Point and Click Adventure)
35. Alien Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
36. Alien Shooter: Fight for Life (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
37. Alien Shooter: The Experiment (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)

38. F.E.A.R. Extraction Point (PC)(FPS)
39. F.E.A.R. Perseus Mandate (PC)(FPS)

40. Among the Sleep (PC)(Survival Horror)
41. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (PC)(FPS/RPG)
42. Alien Shooter 2: Reloaded (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
43. Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels (SNES via Super Mario All-Stars/Super Mario World)(Platformer)
44. Star Wars Jedi Knight II - Jedi Outcast (PC)(FPS)
45. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel: Claptastic Voyage (PC)(FPS/RPG)
46. Risen (PC)(RPG)
47. Shadowgrounds (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
48. Shadowrun Returns (PC)(RPG)
49. Mobile Forces (PC)(FPS)

50. Tower of Guns (PC)(FPS)

51. The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (PC)(FPS)
52. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena (PC)(FPS)

53. 9:05 (PC)(Text Adventure)
54. Mercenary Kings (PC)(Run and Gun)
55. Super Pinball: Behind the Mask (SNES)(Pinball)
56. Pinocchio (SNES)(Platformer)
57. Iron Brigade (PC)(Tower Defense/TPS)
58. Iron Brigade: Rise of the Martian Bear (PC)(Tower Defense/TPS)

59. Anachronox (PC)(RPG)
60. Banished (PC)(Strategy)
61. Rune (PC)(Action)

Tonight I dine in Valhalla.

Rune is a third-person action game released by Human Head Studios in 2000 which combines a view of Norse mythology, hack-and-slash inspired combat, 3D platforming, and excessive violence in a modified version of the Unreal Engine. The player takes on the role of Ragnar, the last of the Odinsblade, after his fellow villagers are slaughtered and their longboat sunk by the treacherous Conrack using the power of Loki. Odin keeps Ragnar alive and has him swim to safety in an underwater cave, ordering him to make it back to the surface to confront Conrack. What follows is a surprisingly extensive journey where Ragnar faces hordes of goblins, the undead, dwarves, Conrack's soldiers, and eventually Loki's mutated army of dishonored souls. The levels fly by though, and they work to form one long continuous trip through the underworld, caves, snowy mountains, hidden fortresses, and eventually to the chamber that holds Loki and the last of Odin's runestones keeping Loki prisoner.

Really though, if you're interested in this game, it's less because of the platforming and more for the combat. And there is a lot of combat. A LOT OF COMBAT. It's the real meat of the game, much more so than the puzzles and platforming aspects. To fight, you have to wield a weapon, which you will most likely gather off of a fallen enemy. There are three weapon classes: sword, axe, and mace. Each weapon class has five weapons contained in it, the first three of which are one-handed while the last two are two-handed, meaning you cannot also carry a shield that you have pried from the cold, dead hands of your enemies. Each weapon has variable speed and power, usually ranging from lighter weapons doing less damage to heavier, slower weapons which take a wind up but then easily fell an enemy. A few weapons change your stance, resulting in your shield position changing. Weapons also vary in sizes, changing your effective range. While generally speaking I found bigger to be better for my playstyle, I cannot deny that nearly every weapon in your repertoire remains useful and balanced.

Weapons also have magical abilities associated with them, which are powered through runes. Each weapon's ability is unique to that weapon, so the lightweight Roman Sword does something very different from the Viking Sword which might necessitate its use in certain player's combat styles. Typically I did my best to not rely on rune powers to win, but that is how I preferred to play the game; your mileage may vary, but all weapons are worth experimenting with to get a feel for whether you like it. We're still not done yet either, as every weapon in the game can be thrown at your opponent to do damage from afar, quickly shatter a shield, or possibly slow the enemies in their tracks. A thrown weapon is dropped from your inventory, but you can easily pick it back up or replace it with another weapon of the same type further down the line.

If you want more defensive options, shields can be grabbed off the ground, off the walls, off weapon racks or looted from corpses, but these can only be used alongside certain weapon classes, and they vary in durability and size. Shields offer a nice passive defense on whichever side it is found on, but look out, that durability wears out! Once your shield breaks, it's gone, and you have to go find a new one to replace it, which might be tough because you can just as easily break an opponent's shield too.

In combat your weapons typically only have a handful of attacks, but some attacks can be linked in combos, and different weapons may offer different attacks depending on how you are moving. Running side to side with a sword will cause you to swing side to side; this became my bread and butter, as I would dash past opponents to get in a quick slice and dance out of range or occasionally decapitate an enemy. Yes, you can decapitate and dismember enemies. Even better, you can think pick up their severed limbs or heads to use as crude weapons. A dwarf pissing you off? Lob off his buddy's head and chuck it at him. If you really don't like someone, you can also rip the torches off the walls and light people on fire or trick them into wandering into the myriad of traps and pits. Hey, the world is your oyster, and it tastes of saltwater and sweet, sweet murder.

How does it compare to the likes of Die by the Sword? Well, it doesn't have nearly the amount of options for weapon strikes, but Rune gets things incredibly right. Once you have your style down, you have it, and woe be to anything standing in your way. That's not to say the enemies are slouches however, and they will often through curve balls to keep you on your toes or attack en masse. Some of them are terrifyingly mobile or do massive amounts of damage, and even a single goblin can do damage to an unwary player. But you're not unwary, are you? No, you're playing this so you can bathe in blood and entrails.

Overall I enjoyed Rune. I enjoyed Rune a lot. Once you get the hang of things, it feels really good to play. It kicked my butt for a while, but I learned and soon gave as good as I got to the roving hordes of men and monsters. To add a tiny bit of replayability, you can even make a choice in the very last level to aid either Odin or Loki, though the Loki end is most definitely the bad end. Do you want to walk the rainbow road into Valhalla or be crucified next to the mad god in his earthly prison?

Seriously, I liked it so much, my girlfriend demanded I stop making decapitation jokes. I told her that was no way to get ahead in life. She refused to talk to me for an hour afterward.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

I put some time into Rune on PC circa 2001. It's hard for me to remember much about it because that was a while ago. I remember being impressed with the graphics, and especially enjoying that you could dive underwater in the game. I also remember getting burned out quickly on its repetitive gameplay, stopping playing it after about 2 hours. I guess I wasn't as impressed with Rune's gameplay after recently having had so much fun with Heretic II, Severance: Blade of Darkness, and Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.². (I recommend all to you Ack.) I'm not saying Rune isn't a good game though, who knows I might enjoy it more today.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Ack

Post by Ack »

Exhuminator wrote:I put some time into Rune on PC circa 2001. It's hard for me to remember much about it because that was a while ago. I remember being impressed with the graphics, and especially enjoying that you could dive underwater in the game. I also remember getting burned out quickly on its repetitive gameplay, stopping playing it after about 2 hours. I guess I wasn't as impressed with Rune's gameplay after recently having had so much fun with Heretic II, Severance: Blade of Darkness, and Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K.². (I recommend all to you Ack.) I'm not saying Rune isn't a good game though, who knows I might enjoy it more today.

No shame, I think it would be difficult to find anything impressive after viewing Heavy Metal: F.A.K.K. 2's, um, ...assets.
Flake

Post by Flake »

1/3: Super Mario Bros 2: Lost Levels (Luigi Run) (3DS VC/NES)
1/4: Super Mario Bros. (Wii / All-Stars)
1/15: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (Wii)
1/20: Super Mario Kart 8 (WiiU)
1/28: Super Mario 3D World (WiiU)
2/15: Luigi's Mansion 2: Dark Moon (3DS)
2/15: Super Mario Land (3DS VC/GB)
2/16: Super Mario Land 2: 6 Golden Coins (3DS VC/GB)
3/3: Super Mario Land 3: Wario Land (3DS VC/GB)
3/13: Dragon Ball Xenoverse (PS4)
3/23: Metroid Prime (Wii)
4/18: Metroid Prime 2: Echoes (Wii)
5/3: Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii)
5/10: Donkey Kong Country (WiiU VC/SNES)
5/16: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyper Stone Heist (GEN)
5/23: Mario Party 10 (WiiU)
5/25: New Super Mario Bros 2 (3DS)
6/18: Super Mario 3D Land (3DS)
8/9: The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (WiiU VC/SNES)
9/5: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (Wii)
9/11: The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (3DS VC/GBC)
10/22: Splatoon (WiiU)
10/27: Street Figher Alpha (Arcade/PS2)
11/3: Super Mario Maker (WiiU)
11/11: Hyrule Warriors (WiiU)

Hyrule Warriors is a great game to play when you're home sick. Fast paced action, constant unlocking of characters, skins, and attacks and a variety of modes to keep the fun but simple gameplay fresh.

Add to that a story mode that shows a typical Zelda tale (Evil shows up, Link and Zelda defeat it, oh no it was Ganon behind it all along, Ganon gets defeated) but from a different perspective as Link is just one of the heroes that Zelda is commanding from her entire army of troops and advisers. As flat and simple as the game is, it is refreshing to feel like you're a part of Hyrule and not just one dude with a sword.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
laurenhiya21
Next-Gen

Post by laurenhiya21 »

1/10: Superbrothers: Sword & Sorcery EP (Steam)
1/10: Rusty's Real Deal Baseball: Bat & Switch (3DS DL)
1/11: Time Fcuk (Steam)
1/11: Coil (Steam)
1/17: Portal 2 (Steam)
1/31: Tales of Xillia (PS3) (re-beat 3/31)
2/12: Tokyo Jungle (PSN)
2/22: LoZ: Four Swords Anniversary Edition (3DS DL)
4/25: Stanley Parable (Steam)
4/28: BattleBlock Theatre (Steam)
5/3: Fragile Dreams: Farewell Ruins of the Moon (Wii)
5/9: Excite Truck (Wii)
5/14: Elebits (Wii)
5/26: Trauma Center: Under the Knife 2 (DS)
6/9: Klonoa: Door to Phantomile (PSN)
6/11: Tappingo (3DS DL)
6/15: Galaga Legions DX (PSN)
6/22: Eversion (Steam)
6/25: Hatoful Boyfriend (GOG)
6/30: Silent Hill (PS1)
7/1: SteamWorld Dig (Steam)
7/12: Cook, Serve, Delicious! (Steam)
7/13: Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni - Ch.1 Onikakushi (Steam)
7/14: Retro/Grade (Steam)
8/12: Onechanbara Z2: Chaos (PS4)
8/15: Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (Steam)
8/25: Ziggurat (Steam)
9/11: Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc (Vita)
9/25: Prince of Persia: The Forgotten Sands (Steam)
9/27: Freedom Planet (GOG)
9/27: Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams - Rise of the Owlverlord (GOG)
10/15: Mad Maestro! (PS2)
10/16: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
11/5: Hatsune Miku: Project Diva f 2nd (PS3)

Total: 34 games

I haven't played the first Project Diva f cause I missed out on it (I couldn't find it before since it was filled under "Jewelry" in Amazon ._.), but wow 2nd is REALLY difficult. Maybe the first is easier so I was supposed to play that first, but the Normal here is more like a Hard to me, so I had to beat everything in Easy first. Normal has a lot of different buttons that you'll need to press, so that plus the very distracting backgrounds (which I think is supposed to be part of the challenge) made the Normal songs impossible for me to beat right away. I can beat a few of them now, but it was certainly a shock to me at first since I'm used to Easy being very dull and Normal being a good starting place for me.

Besides that however, I had a lot of fun with this. It kind of reminded me of Osu! in a way (which I believe is based off of Elite Beat Agents), where the buttons you need to hit will appear all over the screen and will have a little indicator on when you'll need to press that button. It's much faster and hectic than Osu!, but that's not a bad thing for me.

The song selection wasn't too bad either, although I was a bit disappointed on how few KAITO and MEIKO songs there were. Yeah, Miku's name is in the title but I still can't help being a little disappointed. I'm just being a little nitpicky though, cause I really did like most of the songs (other than maybe World is Mine yuck).

So overall, difficult but I'm definitely going to play a lot more of this in the future.
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Post by alienjesus »

laurenhiya21 wrote:I haven't played the first Project Diva f cause I missed out on it (I couldn't find it before since it was filled under "Jewelry" in Amazon ._.), but wow 2nd is REALLY difficult. Maybe the first is easier so I was supposed to play that first, but the Normal here is more like a Hard to me, so I had to beat everything in Easy first. Normal has a lot of different buttons that you'll need to press, so that plus the very distracting backgrounds (which I think is supposed to be part of the challenge) made the Normal songs impossible for me to beat right away. I can beat a few of them now, but it was certainly a shock to me at first since I'm used to Easy being very dull and Normal being a good starting place for me.

I love this game (it was my game of the year last year and it's probably in my top 10 of all time) and it's interesting to have a different perspective on it. I think the difficulty is perhaps a little high for new starters maybe, but I personally find it kinda boring having to play Normal to unlock Hard and Extreme. For a challenge this time I perfected all the songs on Normal before I advanced to Hard. I only really play on Extreme difficulty now though.

I think there is a decent selection of KAITO and MEIKO songs available. The extra songs DLC for the game is great too, but it is unfortunately quite pricy.

I think the first game is a fantastic game too. The song list is a bit smaller, but I think it's more consistent in quality too. The difficulty is a bit easier I feel too, but not hugely so.