Replays!:
1. Bare Knuckle III Mega Drive
2. Die Hard Arcade Saturn
3. The World of Illusion starring Mickey Mouse and Donald Duck Mega Drive
4. Donkey Kong Country 3: Dixie Kong's Double Trouble 3DS VC
5. Trip World 3DS VC

Review 9 & 10 of 27!

Momotaro Katsugeki

Momotaro Katsugeki is a pretty obscure Japan-only platformer for the PC Engine, starring a character based on the Japanese folktale of the peach boy, and is a spin-off of the Momotaro Densetsu series which is an RPG series starring the same characters in Japan.

Like in the folktale, the game stars Momotaro, the peach boy, who takes on an army of Oni demons and rescues a dog, a monkey and a bird along the way who become his friends. You do this by running, jumping and sword swinging throughout a host of levels with the usual themes – there’s a fire level, and ice level etc.

Momotaro seems to take some inspiration from the likes of the Wonder Boy or Mystical Ninja games, and Momotaro can purchase items to use to aid him on his quest. You can buy sword and armor upgrades to power up your hero, aswell as Rice Balls and other food to heal him, and special items which can be used for casting spells – many of which involve peaches in some way. Once you find your animal friends, you can also some them for assistance, although I only actually used the bird, who can be used to fly across gaps and skip some of the nastier platforming sections.

The game is mostly accessible to non-Japanese speakers, with simple, fun gameplay and infinite continues meaning that you can get muddle your way through fairly easily. I don’t think there are any mandatory sections where you need to read, but it’s worth figuring out what items in the menu are so that you can find the right one when you need it. I memorised the shapes of the first few characters of important items to get by myself.

The Japanese menu text also caused me to play through the game on the hardest difficulty, resulting in the best ending, but frankly, with few exceptions the game is relatively easy anyway – especially if, like me, you make sure to grind up money for all the armor and sword power ups whenever they become available. Apparently this game was designed to be fairly accessible to every player, in the vein of Kirby, so it’s not too challenging.

Momotarou is colourful and vibrant, if slightly simple looking game, and it does the job well. It lends the game a warm and welcoming feeling that fits with its comical nature and accessible difficulty. The music of the game is great, with some simple bouncy tunes early on, but some absolutely excellent tracks down the line, such as this ice level theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aY6xjWaEgj4&list=PLAHD7K_NWs4557_AOMknou_V261C9utKS&index=17 and this lava level theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EdIiUJdzw0

Momotarou Katsugeki is a fairly cheap, fun and enjoyable game for the PC Engine, and if you have the system there’s no reason not to own it. It comes highly recommended by me!

Overcooked:

Having finished up Gauntlet IV (finally), I was on the lookout for another title to play in co-op with my girlfriend, and I eventually decided to give Overcooked a try. The Switch release of the game – Overcooked: Special Edition – features the 30 main stages of the original game, along with both DLC packs, adding an additional 14 stages.

When I bought Overcooked, all I knew was it was a game where you had to work together to cook stuff. What I wasn’t ready for was the plot. The game opens with some surprisingly sombre music (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5S_dM5N4pk), before launching into an epic introduction where the almighty “ever-peckish”, a giant spaghetti and meatball monster, is destroying the world in search for sustenance. You’re tasked with feeding it salads to curb it’s hunger, but you inevitably fail and are whisked 20 years back in time to train your culinary skills ready to try again when the ever-peckish awakens once more.

Cooking in Overcooked is a simple affair on the surface – there are about 5 dishes to prepare which you will be introduced to over the course of the game, but they generally all involve the same mechanics. You must grab ingredients from their containers, prepare them on the chopping board, cooke them by putting them in the relevant pot or pan on a hob, and then plate them up and throw them out. From simple soups which just need 3 of the same ingredient chopped and thrown into a pot, to complicated burritos which require a wrap, some fried chopped chicken and some boiled rice, it’s all easy enough to manage at a fundamental level.

This is all managed with the simplest of controls – A picks up and drops things, and X chops stuff once it’s on a chopping board. B allows you to dash, but dashing into allies will knock them away, and Y is for swearing, which is very handy – press Y to fire off a string of cartoony expletives from your chefs mouth. #?!*!

However, things get complicated fast. Multiple orders pour in at once requiring co-ordination between you and your partners, especially as the orders can differ. Overcooking food sets fire to the kitchen and needs put out with a fire extinguisher. You have a limited supply of plates, so you need to wash up the dirty ones as they come back. And that’s not to mention the kitchen layouts – sometimes only one chef has access to the hobs, or the chopping boards, so you must pass ingredients and plates back and forward whilst dealing with your own stuff.

The kitchens also contain many gimmicks. One kitchen might feature rats who steal ingredients left on the side. Another is on a pirate ship and some of the work counters will slide about occasionally changing who has access to which resources. There are icy kitchens, dark kitchens, kitchens on space ships with doors that need opening by your team-mates, kitchens on the back of lorries which separate on occasion leaving you unable to access the other half, kitchens where earthquakes raise part of the stage separating you, kitchens where you need to use conveyor belts to pass ingredients – the list goes on and there’s always something new to deal with.

The game starts easy enough, but it requires you to get good fast – later levels require certain numbers of stars to unlock, and each stage scores you from 1-3 stars depending on your performance. The game expects you to be getting a lot of 3 star ratings throughout in order to progress, and some of the 3 star score requirements are very challenging – make orders fast enough and you’ll receive bonus points as a tip, but miss an order and you’ll lose points as punishment.

Overcooked isn’t perfect – the controls can sometime be a little finicky and you’ll find you often put things down on the square next to where you intended. The level difficulty is easy consistent, and we found we 3 starred the later levels much easier than the mid-game ones in general. The game is also too short – even with the DLC, the 44 levels the game offered didn’t feel like enough, and we wanted more. That is the sign of a good game though, and Overcooked was a great game. We had a blast playing through, and it’s one of the few games I can think of where my girlfriend was asking me if I wanted to play the game, despite it’s sometimes challenging difficulty. If you have a co-op buddy to play through it with, definitely buy Overcooked, you’ll have a fantastic time.
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

Post by Ack »

1. Warhammer: End Times - Vermintide (PC)(Action)
2. Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 (SNES)(Fighting)
3. DRAGON: The Bruce Lee Story (SNES)(Fighting)
4. Eradicator (PC)(FPS)
5. Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon (PC)(FPS)
6. D-Force (SNES)(SHMUP)
7. Eye of the Beholder II: The Legend of Darkmoon (PC)(RPG)
8. Dying Light (PC)(FPS/RPG)
9. Dying Light: The Following (PC)(FPS/RPG)
10. Gauntlet: Slayer Edition (PC)(Hack and Slash)
11. Dear Esther: Landmark Edition (PC)(Walking Simulator)
12. Dead Pixels (PC)(Run and Gun)
13. Half-Life: C.A.G.E.D. (PC)(FPS)
14. Hell Yeah: Wrath of the Dead Rabbit (PC)(Action Platformer)

15. Half-Life 2: Episode 2 (PC)(FPS)
16. Sugar Cube: Bittersweet Factory (PC)(Platformer)
17. Zombie Shooter (PC)(Top-Down Shooter)
18. Torchlight (PC)(Action RPG)
19. Descent II (PC)(FPS)
20. Might and Magic: Swords of Xeen (PC)(RPG)
21. Iron & Blood: Warriors of Ravenloft (PS1)(Fighting)

Those of you who know me well know that from time to time I like to sit back with games routinely considered awful and give them a fair shake in an attempt to find something to appreciate about them. Iron & Blood, a near-universally reviled 3D fighting game based on the Ravenloft setting of the Advanced Dungeons & Dragons universe, is one of these games. A friend who had it for years for laughs sent it my way a few months back, and I decided since I had a little spare time on my hands, I might as well sit down and give it a spin. The end result? Well, Iron & Blood is riddled with its fair share of problems...but it's got some interesting qualities too that are worth considering, even if they aren't going to redeem the game in the eyes of most folks.

The general point of Iron & Blood is that there are two sides, one "good" and one "evil", that are facing off as pawns of two evil parties in Ravenloft. The "good" guys are a successful band of adventurers who are forced to do the vampire Strahd's bidding in fending off assassins sent by Dark Lord Soth. The "evil" side are the assassins. Ravenloft is one of those grimdark settings that some of us happen to love, so think of black and white as more...black and dark grey. Very very dark grey. You know what, I take it back. Ravenloft is black vs. near black. As a result, your team of Ravenloft fighters are a motley crew. The folks under Strahd are your traditional D&D party types: shaman, ranger, thief, knight, yadda yadda. Now the other guys, they're the fun ones: skeleton warriors, werewolves, goblins, an executioner, a guy who wears fleshmasks...I'm sure you all can figure out which side of this conflict I'm sticking with. Though surprisingly no, the character I chose as my main was not the one in the fleshmask. The guy I chose was instead a black knight dude with horns and a vampire sword. As for bosses, those include the likes of Strahd, some scarecrow dude, an armored boxer, and the Lord of Chaos...who pretty much looks like if Satan were a professional wrestler. So yeah, the general character designs work for me.

After that, things do go downhill: voice samples are few and quickly get repetitive. The music is oddly techno-themed, which feels remarkably out of place. While the game offers a tutorial mode, it's basically just a quick single-round match and doesn't really offer much in the way of options. There are also constant loading screens, so you spend a big chunk of your time waiting. While I like the character designs, the actual arenas are flat planes with an invisible forcefield that hurts you to hit, and character models do look jagged and choppy. It's a PS1 game from 1996, after all; I didn't expect it to look perfect. Combat is also problematic, as characters are limited in their moves, and the constant dodging and rolling around for mobility options can very quickly throw the camera out of whack. Oh, and your health bar is a burning sconce which gets smaller. Since fire is constantly in motion, good luck figuring out how much health you actually have.

With those negatives, I realize that many folks are checking out already, but I do want to point out the positive aspects I noticed. First, once you understand how the camera gets thrown about by dodging, you can usually dodge to fix it easily, so it's not a complete failure. Getting turned around can easily be fixed by blocking, which will make your character automatically track the opponent. While the game does have some pre-made combos in attacks, you can sometimes chain attacks together in ways that connect and do damage. I was often able to connect with a strike that knocked my opponent on their back and then connect with a second on their legs as they fell to the floor for just a tad bit more damage....and then I could engage in a ground attack, which is done through a universal command. Sure, it may not be an official combo, but it got the job done. And while throwing myself into the wall would deal damage to myself, I did at times use it as a tactic to throw my body into my opponent and knock them away, giving me some breathing room if they were trying to up the pressure. It's not a smart idea, but it worked. Also, the backgrounds of arenas apparently have some influence on how characters play, and in certain conditions you can adjust that background, though I never quite figured out how this worked.

Iron & Blood features a more traditional arcade style mode, where you pick a warrior from one side of the conflict who then takes on all of the opposing side in a string of fights. What's more interesting is the Campaign mode, where you select a team of fighters to face off against an opposing team in one on one matches. Warriors who win fights but take damage need a few rounds to regenerate their health, while warriors who lose end up losing lives and eventually getting wiped from the team. Each match is fought for some reward, including steadily growing magic power, magic items such as a ring which resurrects the character if he or she runs out of lives, and even artifacts which can have ridiculously powerful consequences for using. This all flows into the next interesting tidbit of the game, which is that characters can be built up to make them more powerful across various game modes. The more you win with any one character, the more items and magic power they gain. Lose, however, and the character's progress is wiped because they have died. It's an interesting risk/reward system, and while folks may not be willing to put in the time due to the poor first impressions of the combat system, those who do take the time to get into it will be rewarded for their efforts...but good luck getting to that point, as I don't think too many people are going to want to put in the time to learn Iron & Blood.

Another nice little feature is that you can pause even before the match begins. Thank you for that. It's not big, but it's helpful.

There you have it. Iron & Blood is far from perfect, but it does have some nice touches and interesting ideas. I don't believe I'll be going back to it again, but I don't completely loathe it like many people seem to. There were redeeming qualities that I found worth checking out, if only to say I had done so. It reminds me of the likes of War Gods, Dark Rift, Deadly Arts, and other early 3D fighters, when the genre was very much still trying to sort out how to deal with an entirely new axis as well as experiment in new ways with what the fighting game could be.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

Post by PartridgeSenpai »

@AlienJesus

I beat Overcooked with 3 family members last year around this time, and it was SOOOO fun with 4-player co-op. We didn't beat alll the levels (fuck that island one with the rats and fireballs, omfg), but we 100%'d the main game and Xmas DLC's. That game is SOOOO good. Definitely one of the best games specifically designed for co-op I've ever played.
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
Sarge
Next-Gen

Post by Sarge »

Exhuminator wrote:
Sarge wrote:Is this your first time through?

Yes it was. Had no idea it was this solid.

If you want to try a spiritual predecessor to Skyblazer, give Hook a try. It's another Sony Imagesoft joint, and likely uses the same (or earlier version) of the engine. It's not as good, and a lot slower, but you might still enjoy it.

Previous games:
January:
1) The Secret of Monkey Island: Special Edition (PC) (8.5) (1/1) (~5.5 hours)
2) ActRaiser (SNES) (8.0) (1/2) (~4 hours)
3) Bonk's Revenge (GB) (6.0) (1/3) (~1 hour)
4) Tiny Toon Adventures: Babs' Big Break (GB) (6.5) (1/3) (~1 hour)
5) Blackwell Legacy (PC) (7.0) (1/5) (2.6 hours)
6) Blackwell Unbound (PC) (7.5) (1/7) (2.2 hours)
7) Blackwell Convergence (PC) (8.0) (1/7) (2.4 hours)
8) Blackwell Deception (PC) (8.0) (1/8) (4.7 hours)
9) Blackwell Epiphany (PC) (9.0) (1/9) (6.5 hours)
10) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain (PS4) (8.0) (1/22) (~55 hours)
11) Ultimate Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (360) (8.0) (1/28) (~.5 hours)
12) Deep Duck Trouble Starring Donald Duck (SMS) (6.5) (1/31) (~1 hour)
February:
13) Quackshot Starring Donald Duck (GEN) (7.5) (2/7) (~2 hours)
14) Fire Emblem Heroes (Android) (8.0) (2/9) (~10 hours)
15) Super C (NES) (9.5) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
16) Contra (NES) (10.0) (2/20) (~0.5 hours)
17) Mickey's Dangerous Chase (GB) (6.5) (2/24) (~1 hour)
18) My Nintendo Picross: The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess (3DS) (8.5) (2/25) (~19 hours)
19) Mega Man 2 (NES) (10.0) (2/28) (~0.8 hours)
March:
20) Final Fantasy XV (PS4) (8.0) (3/2) (~33 hours)
21) Blaster Master Zero (NS) (9.0) (3/10) (~6.5 hours)
22) Espgaluda II Black Label (360) (8.0?) (3/17) (0.5 hours)
23) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (NS) (9.5) (3/28) (~70+ hours)
April:
24) Shovel Knight: Specter of Torment (PC) (8.5) (4/7) (~5.5 hours)
25) Hyper Light Drifter (PS4) (8.0) (4/9) (~8 hours)
26) Gekido Advance: Kintaro's Revenge (GBA) (7.5) (4/16) (~3 hours)
27) Vanquish (PS3) (8.5) (4/17) (~7 hours)
28) Journey (PS3) (6.0) (4/19) (~2 hours)
29) GunForce (SNES) (4.0) (4/22) (~20 minutes)
30) GunForce 2 (ARC) (7.0) (4/23) (~30 minutes)
31) GunForce: Battle Fire Engulfed Terror Island (ARC) (6.0) (4/23) (~20 minutes)
32) Mighty Final Fight (NES) (8.5) (4/29) (~30 minutes)
May:
33) Final Fantasy V (SFC) (6.0) (5/1) (~33 hours)
34) Super Adventure Island (SNES) (7.0) (5/2) (~1 hour)
35) Dragon Spirit: The New Legend (NES) (7.5) (5/3?) (~30 minutes)
36) Mighty No. 9 (PS4) (5.0) (5/6?) (~5 hours)
37) Contra III: The Alien Wars (Hard) (SNES) (8.5) (5/11) (~1 hour)
38) Operation C (GB) (7.5) (5/22) (~1 hour)
June:
39) Super Dodge Ball (NES) (9.5) (6/1) (~15 minutes)
40) Bare Knuckle III (GEN) (7.5) (6/3) (~1 hour)
41) Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) (9.5) (6/5) (~30 minutes)
42) Wizards & Warriors X: Fortress of Fear (GB) (4.0) (6/8) (~1 hour)
43) Castlevania: The Adventure (GB) (3.5) (6/9) (~1 hour)
44) Blossom Tales: The Sleeping King (PC) (8.0) (6/15) (~8.5 hours)
45) Streets of Rage (GEN) (9.0) (6/17) (~45 minutes)
46) Ghouls 'N Ghosts (GEN) (6.5) (6/17) (~4 hours)
47) Contra: Hard Corps (GEN) (8.5) (6/18) (~50 minutes)
48) Mighty Gunvolt Burst (NS) (7.5) (6/23) (~3 hours?)
49) Exile's End (PC) (8.0) (6/24) (~5 hours)
July:
50) Uncharted 4: A Thief's End (PS4) (8.5) (7/1) (16h53m)
51) Pharaoh Rebirth+ (PC) (8.0) (7/3) (7 hours)
52) Jackal (NES) (9.0) (7/9) (45 minutes)
53) Golden Axe III (NES) (2.5) (7/9) (~45 minutes)
54) Rygar (NES) (7.0) (7/10) (~2 hours)
55) Faxanadu (NES) (8.0) (7/14) (~6 hours)
56) Tekken 3 (PSX) (6.0) (7/24) (~20 minutes)
57) Horizon: Zero Dawn (PS4) (8.5) (7/30) (38h16m)
August:
58) Contra: The Alien Wars (GB) (3.5) (8/1) (~30 minutes)
59) Super Smash Bros. (N64) (8.0) (8/6) (~20 minutes)
60) Battletoads (Japan) (NES) (7.5) (8/10) (~40 minutes)
61) Castle of Dragon (NES) (2.5) (8/10) (~1 hour)
62) The Adventures of Tom Sawyer (NES) (3.0) (8/10) (~30 minutes)
63) Strider (NES) (6.5) (8/11) (~2 hours)
64) Commando (NES) (3.5) (8/11) (~1 hour)
65) Bio Miracle Bokutte Upa (NES) (6.5) (8/12) (~1h30m)
66) Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie (GEN) (4.0) (8/12) (~1 hour)
67) Dragon Scroll: Yomigaerishi Maryuu (NES) (5.0) (8/13) (~4 hours)
68) Mega Man 8 (SAT) (7.0) (8/17) (~4 hours)
69) Wonder Boy: The Dragon's Trap (PS4) (8.0) (8/19) (4h42m)
70) Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo HD Remix (PS3) (6.5) (8/25) (~30 minutes)
71) Ace Attorney Investigations: Miles Edgeworth (DS) (7.5) (8/27) (25 hours?)
72) Daikatana (GBC) (6.5) (8/28) (~3 hours)
73) Bionic Commando (NES) (9.5) (8/30) (~1.5 hours)
74) Adventure Island II (NES) (6.5) (8/31) (~3 hours)
September:
75) The Mafat Conspiracy (NES) (5.0) (9/1) (~1.5 hours)
76) Snake's Revenge (NES) (8.0) (9/4) (~4 hours)
77) Ys: Memories of Celceta (VITA) (7.5) (9/4) (~25 hours?)
78) Skate or Die 2: The Search for Double Trouble (NES) (5.0) (9/7) (~2 hours)
79) 1943: The Battle for Midway (NES) (7.0) (9/9) (~2.5 hours)
80) Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom (ARC/360) (5.0) (9/9) (~1 hour)
81) Arkista's Ring (NES) (6.0) (9/9) (~1 hour)
82) Bad Dudes (NES) (4.0) (9/9) (~45 minutes)
83) G.I. Joe: The Atlantis Factor (NES) (7.0) (9/10) (~2 hours)
84) Target: Renegade (NES) (2.0) (9/10) (~1 hour)
85) Gyruss (NES) (8.5) (9/11) (~1 hour)
86) Renegade (NES) (3.5) (9/12) (~30 minutes)
87) Metroid: Samus Returns (3DS) (9.0) (9/18) (11h35m) (16h total time)
88) Rambo (NES) (4.5) (9/19) (~3 hours)
89) Return of Double Dragon (SFC) (8.0) (9/20) (~1 hour)
90) Wizards & Warriors (NES) (6.5) (9/21) (~1.5 hours)
91) Wizards & Warriors III - Kuros: Visions of Power (NES) (6.5) (9/23) (~4 hours)
92) Wolverine (NES) (3.0) (9/23) (~1 hour)
93) The Jetsons: Cogswell's Caper (NES) (6.0) (9/23) (~1 hour)
94) Ironsword: Wizards & Warriors II (NES) (6.5) (9/24) (~2 hours)
95) The Flintstones: The Rescue of Dino and Hoppy (NES) (6.0) (9/24) (~1 hour)
96) RodLand (NES) (7.0) (9/30) (~1 hour)
97) Gradius (NES) (7.0) (9/30) (~30 minutes)
98) Life Force (NES) (8.0) (9/30) (~1 hour)
99) Gradius II (NES) (8.0) (9/30) (~1 hour)
October:
100) Guerilla War (NES) (6.0) (10/1) (~1 hour)
101) Gun-Nac (NES) (7.5) (10/2) (~1.5 hours)
102) Mega Man 9 (PS4, via MMLC2) (9.5) (10/7) (~2.5 hours)
103) Star Wars (NES) (5.5) (10/7) (~1.5 hours)
104) Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana (PS4) (9.0) (10/25) (49h20m)
105) Super Mario Odyssey (NS) (10.0) (10/31) (10 hours?)

November:
106) Super Castlevania IV (SNES) (8.5) (11/11) (4 hours)
107) Transformers: Devastation (PS4) (6.5) (11/18) (5h56m)
108) Dracula X: Rondo of Blood (DUO) (8.0) (11/26) (2 hours)
109) Castlevania Chronicles (PSX, X68K mode) (6.5) (11/29) (6 hours)

Holy snot buckets, Batman! Castlevania Chronicles' arrange mode will kick your buttocks back and forth until you just don't want to play it anymore. This was purely a point of pride at this stage of the game.

So, most of you probably already know about the game, but I'll blabber a little bit anyway. The game remakes the original Castlevania (again!), but with a significant 16-bit veneer. Well, Super Castlevania IV is also supposedly a remake of the first game, but it's so different that I was quite surprised when I learned this fact. CC, on the other hand, makes it quite apparent what the inspiration was. Many of the areas are direct copies from the first game, just given some extra graphical oomph and some changes in how the game plays. An opening stage that mimics the original? Yep. A fight with Medusa (and a similar stage at points)? Yep. The freaking hallway leading to Death? Oh, you betcha.

The irony, of course, is that some of the areas that were brutal in the original are rather toothless here. That hallway leading to Death with the Axe Knights and Medusa Heads? That might be the hardest sequence in the original, but here it has been trivialized by the sheer speed and reach of your whip. There are a lot of areas like this, but the game makes up for it with other areas that are crazy hard. The tower stages are really tough, with the gears and stuff being one of the worst offenders followed by a rough fight against a werewolf that throws objects at you with blistering speed. The other tower is filled with glowing bats, dolls, and other toy-like hazards. It's weird tonally, but no less deadly for it. A few segments require pitch-perfect play, and a few of the bosses will own you until you get the patterns down. The Doppleganger, for one, will smoke you the first time until you realize he can be baited into one particular pattern. It still requires perfect execution.

Honestly, most of the game requires excellent execution. Simon's foot speed is very slow, so even if your whip is faster by far, you'll have to compensate for some terrible agility and jumping. Thankfully, you can change direction in mid-air. You also get to whip down or diagonally down in the air, which has limited utility. Much of this comes to a head in the last run to Dracula, recreating the Bat boss run. Defeating them is actually pretty trivial, as you can drop them with six solid hits from your whip, but that's not the problem here. No, it's that the game requires not one, but two pixel-perfect jumps. Miss them and you die. Since you go to the beginning of the level if you lose all your lives, this will bite you on multiple occasions, but can be really frustrating here. Thankfully, there's actually a hidden 1-up to grab in the prior segment, so there's almost no excuse to not reach that segment with four lives in reserve. And in a blessed form of clemency at the very end, the game will let you continue at the stairway before Dracula. Whew indeed.

The game looks decent enough, but it doesn't look as good as the other 16-bit games. The soundtrack lays down some FM synthesis beats, some good and some awful. (There's also a music selection screen that can be unlocked by holding L1 and R1 when choosing Original Mode, so you can hear some Roland MT-32 if you so desire.)

For all the game does right, there's just so much it does wrong. This compares to the difficulty level of the NES games, but it just feels weird compared to those, with such slow movement coupled with a large sprite, some crazy jumps, some tiny enemies with tough patterns (that do tons of damage!), and bosses that have amazing range and speed just make it feel much more unbalanced compared to those classics. They are undeniably the closest comparison, but CC loses the impeccable balance that the NES games had, making much of the difficulty feel contrived.

Or maybe I'm just an old man and the little quirks that I learned back in the day had to be learned again for this game, without the benefit of save states to shorten the learning curve. Either way, the game is tough, and if you thought it was trivial, well, you're a better player than I.
Segata
Next-Gen

Post by Segata »

Fire Emblem Warriors.

Most enjoyable warriors yet for me. This is more traditional unlike HW which had Zelda like items and had more modes (but knowing Tecmo this will get a lot f DLC down the line) The cel-shaded characters look great. The music I don't remember much outside of the FE theme in a few spots. What made this such an enjoyable Warriors game is the variety of the very large cast of characters to play with. Sure you have the lame wads they created just for this game but you can select whoever you want once a mission starts. The story is pretty bland but never expect a great one form these games. I will mention the cast aside form Marth and a couple others, is mainly recent FE games on 3DS. They may change that in DLC or a future entry. Hold on Hector or Ike fans. The combos are some of the better ones of the Nintendo published Warriors games. Really fun game and worth owning if you have a Switch and like FE series.
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:
1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC
20. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - PC
21. Mass Effect Andromeda - PC
22. Starflight 2 - PC
23. Armored Hunter Gunhound EX - PC
24. Space Megaforce - SNES
25. Persona 5 - PS4
26. Torment: Tides of Numenera - PC
27. Cosmic Star Heroine - PC
28. Prey - PC
29. Strafe - PC
30. Mystic Origins - NES
31. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS
32. Ultra Street Fighter II - Switch
33. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - PC
34. Ultima IV - PC
35. Environmental Station Alpha - PC
36. Dust: An Elysian Tail - PC
37. Hollow Knight - PC
38. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - PC
39. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd - PC
40. Call of Duty - PC
41. Azure Striker Gunvolt 2 - 3DS
42. Sonic Mania - Switch
43. Mighty Gunvolt Burst - Switch
44. XCOM2: War of the Chosen - PC
45. Metroid: Samus Returns - 3DS
46. Dishonored: Death of the Outsider - PC
47. Cuphead - Xbox One
48. Odallus - PC
49. Shenzhen I/O - PC
50. South Park: The Fractured But Whole - PC

51. Oniken - PC
52. Strife Veteran Edition - PC
53. The Mummy Demastered - Switch
54. Super Mario Odyssey - Switch
55. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - PC
56. Etrian Odyssey V - 3DS
57. The Legend of Zelda Four Swords Anniversary - 3DS

In my current state of moving limbo my selection of games is far more limited. And then these past few days I've been overseeing movers without anything else to do. So I finally got around to busting out the 3DS and playing through the Four Swords Anniversary rerelease. It was available for a limited time on the DSi and 3DS years ago and the big feature is they added a single player mode. I've been noodling about this game off and on for years, whenever I have my 3DS and am currently too pissed at whatever cart I have on me and Unchained Blades.

Four Swords was originally a bonus mode available in the LttP release on the GBA. The premise was you would link up with other people using the cable that no one actually owned and then have to go through a group puzzle adventure, with a hint of antagonism between the players. See, the thing is, you can pick up other people and throw them (such as into a pit), and each Link carries a sword and one other item, which might be in limited supply. And the game tosses tons of rupees at you, which are then graded at the end to see who collected the most. I don't think there's even a reward for it; it's just to destroy friendships.

The single player available in this game drops it down to two Links that you control. By default the second Link follows you, but you have the option of splitting them up and controlling each one independently, one at a time. This is needed quite often, as you likely need to throw one Link over a pit or juggle two items. There are also some moments where the second Link automatically joins in, such as striking your sword to create a spark to light a torch, or getting on the other end of an enemy that you both pull apart. However, there is a boss mechanic late in the game where you bat a ball between the two Links based on the color of the ball, and you have to manually switch between each Link to do it. The ball moves slow, so it's doable, but it feels clunky.

The actual game itself is quite short. It consists of a training dungeon, three dungeons to get your special item to unlock the final dungeon, and the final dungeon. Each dungeon consists of three stages. These stages are reasonably long and involve a bunch of challenges to navigate through, swapping items as needed to progress. Once you beat the last boss this release unlocks a special retro dungeon. This consists of three sub dungeons of three levels each. The first one is LttP, the second is LA, and the third is LoZ. It's a nice nostalgic touch.

I have no idea if you can get this game anymore, but for the price of free it was worth playing.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

Post by ElkinFencer10 »

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 131
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (20 Games Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25
67. Kamiko - Switch - July 25
68. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Xbox - July 26
69. Panzer Dragoon - Saturn - July 27*
70. Snake Pass - Switch - July 27
71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*
72. Castlevania - NES - July 29
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - NES - July 29
74. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - NES - July 29
75. Super Castlevania IV - SNES - July 30
76. Castlevania Adventure - Game Boy - July 30
77. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth - Wii - July 30
78. Contra Rebirth - Wii - July 31
79. Heavy Fire: Special Operations - Wii - July 31
80. Heavy Fire: Black Arms - Wii - July 31
81. Panzer Dragoon II Zwei - Saturn - July 31*

August (9 Games Beaten)
82. Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius - Steam - August 4
83. Panzer Dragoon Saga - Saturn - August 5
84. Sunrider: Liberation Day - Steam - August 6
85. Emily is Away - Steam - August 8
86. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - SNES - August 19
87. Nights of Azure - PlayStation 4 - August 25
88. Uncharted: The Lost Legacy - PlayStation 4 - August 26
89. Strike Suit Zero: Director's Cut - Xbox One - August 27
90. Devil's Third - Wii U - August 30*

September (14 Games Beaten)
91. Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle - Switch - September 4
92. Dungeons & Dragons: Tower of Doom - Wii U - September 4
93. Daytona USA - Xbox 360 - September 6
94. Dungeons & Dragons: Shadow Over Mystara - Wii U - September 6
95. Cave Story+ - Switch - September 10
96. Cosmic Star Heroine - Steam - September 14
97. Lego Worlds - Switch - September 16
98. Metroid: Samus Returns - 3DS - September 18
99. Danganronpa Another Episode: Ultra Despair Girls - PlayStation 4 - September 23
100. Weeping Doll - PlayStation VR - September 23
101. Dying: Reborn VR - PlayStation VR - September 24
102. Shadow Warrior 2 - PlayStation 4 - September 28
103. Pokken Tournament DX - Switch - September 29
104. White Day: A Labyrinth Called School - PlayStation 4 - September 30

October (7 Games Beaten)
105. Monster High: New Ghoul in School - Wii U - October 2
106. Senran Kagura: Peach Beach Splash - PlayStation 4 - October 8
107. Barbie Dreamhouse Party - Wii U - October 14
108. Tales of Berseria - PlayStation 4 - October 25
109. Cyberdimension Neptunia: 4 Goddesses Online - PlayStation 4 - October 28
110. Super Mario Odyssey - Switch - October 30
111. Splatterhouse: Wanpaku Graffiti - Famicom - October 31

November (20 Games Beaten)
112. Fire Emblem Warriors - Switch - November 1
113. Sine Mora EX - Switch - November 2
114. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys - TurboGrafx-CD - November 4
115. Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper - Wii U - November 4
116. The Bunker - PlayStation 4 - November 5
117. Dear Esther - PlayStation 4 - November 5
118. Gex - 3DO - November 5
119. Crysis 3 - PlayStation 3 - November 6
120. Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus - Xbox One - November 10
121. Sonic Forces - Switch - November 10
122. Call of Duty: WWII - Xbox One - November 11
123. For Honor - Xbox One - November 12
124. Blue Reflection - PlayStation 4 - November 17
125. Bully - Wii - November 20
126. Star Wars: Battlefront II - Xbox One - November 22
127. Doom - Switch - November 22
128. Onslaught - Wii - November 22
129. Zombie Panic in Wonderland - Wii - November 22
130. Criminal Girls: Invite Only - Vita - November 28
131. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 - PS3 - November 29

131. Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 - PS3 - November 29

Do you like giant robots? Do you like massacring dozens of enemies at a single time? Do you like nonsensical storylines that you still don't quite understand even at the end? Then Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 is for you! The plot is completely bonkers, and you don't even care. All you care about is blowing up hordes of giant robots.

The game plays pretty much exactly like your standard musou games. You run around, tear through ridiculously underpowered enemies like a hot knife through butter. You're not *quite* as powerful as in Dynasty Warriors or Warriors Orochi, but you still absolutely wreck your enemies. You can choose from a pretty large variety of Gundam characters, and there are four different "paths" that give you slightly different perspectives on the story. I played through with Amuro as I'm still a newcomer to the Gundam franchise and have only seen the original movie trilogy, so he was the character I knew. There's also something like 120 mobile suits from which you can choose although only certain pilots can use certain mobile suits.

The visuals look pretty impressive for the PlayStation 3 in my opinion. It doesn't look as good as something like The Last of Us or Uncharted 3, obviously, but it's definitely one of the better looking games on the platform. The audio design is similarly impressive; the music fits the action very well and it great to listen to, and the voice acting - while English dubs that not everyone will like - is fairly well done for most characters. There are obviously some characters who have voices that grate on my nerves - I'm convinced Heero is the most boring sounding character in any series ever - but by and large, the voice acting was pretty well done.

The gameplay is the highlight of the game without a doubt. In addition to the single player campaign with its three paths, you have access to a series of online missions that can be done cooperatively, something Colin and I burnt a whole night playing. The game's mechanics do feel a bit archaic compared to more recent Warriors games - you can't lock on to captain enemies (only a few "giant" bosses), and the game's pace generally feels a little slower, for example - but it's an enjoyable experience nonetheless.

Dynasty Warriors Gundam 3 is a lot of fun, but it does show its age. It's seven years old now, and that's evident in some of the game's rather outdate mechanics. If you're a fan of musou games, then you'll probably enjoy it, and there's definitely a lot to love here for Gundam fans, but unless you fall into one of those two groups, I probably wouldn't run out and order a copy now. If you see it for less than $10, then yeah, pick it up, for sure, but unless you're a musou fan or a Gundam fan, I wouldn't pay more than $10 or $15.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

110. "Kat's Run: All-Japan K Car Championship | Super Famicom | 1995 | 5/10

Kat's Run: All-Japan K Car Championship is a Japan-only racer developed and published by Atlus for the Super Famicom in 1995. Kat's Run is a mode 7 style racer featuring kei cars (a smaller weight/size category of vehicle in Japan that includes microvans and convertibles). The single-player mode has one of ten female drivers competing to win a street racing tournament. A small window allows players to see their driver's expression, which changes when turning, or whenever she overtakes, or gets overtaken, by an opponent. The racing itself is bare bones simple, with only the ability to rarely use an attack item adding any spice. Each track is very long, and does not loop, instead when the player reaches the end of the track, the current track morphs into a brand new track. There's quite a few tracks to finish before ending the single player race, and thankfully there's no rubber band AI. Kat's Run has rather bland graphics, but a charming and relaxing OST. While certainly not one of the best 16-bit racers ever, Kat's Run is a decent bit of fluff for SFC importing racing enthusiasts.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Post by Xeogred »

Exhuminator
Next-Gen

Post by Exhuminator »

(The Japanese cover is considerably better than the USA one.}
111. Dungeon Explorer | TG16 | 1989 | 7/10

Dungeon Explorer is a 1989 action-RPG developed by Atlus for the TurboGrafx-16, published by Hudson in Japan, and NEC in USA. Dungeon Explorer is only an action-RPG in a very loose sense. There is a threadbare plot, and NPC dialogue from to time, but the story is incredibly shallow, and not at all the point of the experience. Rather it's the arcade-like gameplay here that's the star of the show. Actually, the game design is truly a Gauntlet ripoff, mostly. The player moves a character in an overhead 2D fashion, while shooting various types of attack objects forth, that's about it. There are various player characters however, with two special powers unique to each character. For example the warlock can freeze time, the bishop can heal nearby allies, and the bard's has the ability to change the music. Up to five simultaneous players choose a character and traverse maze-like rooms together, killing monsters spawned from monster-generators. The players must exercise crowd control via immediate destruction of the monster-generators to survive. At the end of every dungeon is a boss to kill, which leaves behind a gem that will boost a player chosen stat, and also raise the players' level. Unfortunately, killing monsters does not garner experience, but monsters occasionally drop temporary stat boosting items.

At any time a player can write down their personal password, and use it to continue should said player run out of lives. However, password resurrection does necessitate considerable backtracking to return to where a player died. If someone chooses to play Dungeon Explorer single player, the experience is not balanced well for that, and is considerably more difficult. If possible, play with five players to even the odds. Perhaps the best aspect of Dungeon Explorer is its outstanding OST, created by the stupendously talented Tsukasa Masuko. Listening to his incredible music tracks will often make up for the frustration of being marauded to death by gnomes and spiders. Dungeon Explorer is not a terribly long game, it can be beaten in just a few hours. Making for a decent Sunday afternoon playthrough. Dungeon Explorer is not a complex action-RPG by any means, and barely qualifies for the genre distinction honestly. But if you've got some friends who can appreciate classic arcade-like game design, and are up for some co-op action, Dungeon Explorer is a decent choice.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.