Re: Games Beaten 2017

by MrPopo Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:17 am

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC

The first expansion to X-Wing is set immediately after the Battle of Yavin. The Imperials are pissed off and the Rebellion spends most of it completely on the back foot. You start off guarding some conveys off of Yavin for the final evacuation and several of the missions involve unavoidable losses (which are thankfully not mission critical). The focus quickly becomes on securing a supply of food. This gets us through mission 14, which is about as long as one of the three campaigns of X-Wing. So you end up doing two short three mission mini campaigns where you strike back at the Empire and get in some licks before the end.

I feel like the difficulty was better balanced. There were still some utterly nasty missions, but for the most part there weren't any that required you to get super lucky. You almost always have wingmen and you fly all three ships about equally, and each is in missions well suited for its strengths. Most of your deaths are going to come from poor target selection (not going after the high danger ships) and most of your non-death mission failures are going to come from you not keeping the proper situational awareness and getting caught up dogfighting instead of taking out missile ships. One new thing added is that several mission points let you pick between two missions that are happening concurrently. You aren't locked in to either mission, so if one is proving to be to tough/not too fun then you can do the other one instead.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:23 am

Fragems wrote:Been pretty heavy into Persona 4 Golden so I haven't really had much time for other games recently :P. Did however get most of the way through VVVVVV on the Vita while I was having my tires alligned the other day so I polished it off tonight.

1. VVVVVV (Vita)

I even got most of the collectibles although I'm not going to bother going back even though I did get the hardest one which is freaking ridiculous. Basically 5 screens of death with no check points and to make things worse when you get through them you have to ricochet back and do them in reverse being sure to land properly at the end to get over the smallest barrier ever :lol: . Since I don't have the reflexes of fucking NEO that took a while to program into muscle memory :P. It was even more fun thanks to the mushy directional pad this game definitely is designed with the precision of a keyboard in mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXJs3BVJujg

I got it when I beat the 3DS version a couple of years ago. It's not impossible. Just keep practicing.
elricorico
32-bit

by elricorico Tue Jan 17, 2017 1:26 am

1. Crimson Skies:High Road to Revenge (XBOX)

2. Super Smash Bros WiiU (WiiU)

I now feel that I can call this game "beaten" as I've unlocked all of the disc characters and viewed their ending through one mode or another. Most of my playing of this was last year.

This is the first Smash Bros game that I've put any real time into; I was just never around anyone the played Smash in any of the last few generations of gaming so the draw wasn't there. Being serious about the WiiU meant I had to engage in this version. I must say that I now see the appeal, and I really do like the game, but I am not the true target audience for it.

Unfortunately my local multiplayer time is fairly limited, and I'm not often the type that gets much pleasure out of online competition. I will say that the few times I've has a friend or two to play this with I've had a blast, and I did enjoy playing on my own as well, but I still feel like I've missed the real heart of this game. To really see how much fun this game can be I suspect you need 4 to 10 players who really want to have a good time kicking each-other around the various stages while trash-talking, laughing and probably having a few beers.

This game is loaded with content - and I didn't bother with any DLC. It is graphically very pleasing, controls well, sounds good and has a roster of characters broad enough to satisfy any gamer. I enjoy playing most of them(though I will never pick Olimar again of my own volition) and I suspect that pretty much any character can be successful against other players with some practice.

I did dabble in some online "Smash" and it worked well enough. There were certainly some times of lag, but it didn't seem to disadvantage any particular player, it just seemed to slow everything down. I didn't have any network disruptions or crashes, but I certainly didn't spend the bulk of my time online.

This is a really good game, and I'm not done experiencing it. It will remain on the shortlist any time anyone comes over to join me in some gaming.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

by Juan Aguacate Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:03 am

Blu wrote:Starting off 2017 with a few in the belt notches.

1. Runbow - Wii U
2. Battlefield 1 - Xbox One
3. Until Dawn - PS4
4. Super Mario Sunshine - Gamecube

3. Until Dawn is absolutely terrifying and gripping. I dig it, but I likely won't play through it again.

Love that game

Soma on PS 4 is another one that can make you want to hide under the bed

Did you know when they designed Until Dawn they did tests on people just to find out what would scare people the most?
Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:59 am

prfsnl_gmr wrote:I got it when I beat the 3DS version a couple of years ago. It's not impossible. Just keep practicing.

Oh no I got it I took it as a challenge when it said "no one will ever get it" :lol: . It's a bitch controlling the fall since you get one course correction per window but after about 70 tries I made it.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

by prfsnl_gmr Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:01 am

Fragems wrote:...but after about 70 tries I made it.

You're better than me! I suspect that I died at least 100 times trying to get through that section. :lol:

Blu wrote:Runbow - Wii U

I really need to play through this. (I have the digital version, but I still need to pick up the physical version with all of the extras...like Shantae!) It looks pretty great, but I was under the impression that it was a multiplayer game. How was the single-player experience?
Blu
Next-Gen

by Blu Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:12 pm

prfsnl_gmr wrote:
Blu wrote:Runbow - Wii U

I really need to play through this. (I have the digital version, but I still need to pick up the physical version with all of the extras...like Shantae!) It looks pretty great, but I was under the impression that it was a multiplayer game. How was the single-player experience?

It's a really good single-player experience. It's a good lesson in playing the multiplayer stages. There's two single-player modes: a stage selector mode where stages branch off, up to an end boss. And the Bowhemoth, which is a cannonball run where you're swallowed by a huge beast and are trying to escape. The Bowhemoth won't let you save your progress. It took me around 2 hours. The stages mode can be done in a couple of sittings. Both really enjoyable and the mechanics are really tight and enjoyable.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:41 pm

1. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
2. Gyromite (NES)
3. Lucy -The Eternity She Wished For- (Steam)
4. Ys III: Wanderers from Ys (Famicom)
Well, it didn't take long for me to reach an Ys game this year, eh?

Ys III is the final entry in the original 8-bit PC-88 trilogy. It was ported to three other old Japanese computers, and miraculously received three localized 16-bit console ports in the West (SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx CD). What you may not realize is that there are an additional two (Japan-only) console ports as well: Famicom (1991, later fan-translated) and PS2 (2005).

I've talked about this game extensively in the past so I'll be brief here. Ys III is one of those "black sheep" games. Instead of a top-down viewpoint this is pure sidescrolling action à la Zelda II and Faxanadu. Combat is a bit different here, however. Holding down B will cause Adol to continually rotate his sword in a "buzzsaw" manner. At high enough levels he mow down enemies without mercy. Compared to its side-scrolling ARPG brethren, Ys III is rather simplistic. It's incredibly linear, with a stage select screen instead of a world map. And that's truly what the dungeons are: "stages" that are super linear and straightforward, for the most part. Exceptions include the mines, which is easy to navigate but needs to be visited twice, and the final dungeon, which is admittedly an unnecessarily entangled labyrinth. Only one town can be visited, populated by a handful of NPCs and shops.
I've heard many folks claim that Ys III is a terrible game, and that it's wiser to simply jump ahead to The Oath in Felghana (the more recent 3D remake). This is nonsense - Ys III is tons of fun and both the original and remake are distinct worthwhile experiences.

Ys III is, above all else, an energetic game. Adol and his combatants slide around the screen 100 miles per hour. The fast-paced action is appropriately accompanied by the series' noteworthy musical score. Visuals are solid, especially the detailed backgrounds, though they have been admittedly downgraded for this release. Don't expect any parallax scrolling.
One common complaint about Ys III is that the hit detection kinda sucks. That isn't true this time around and, in fact, due to the more precise controls I'd argue that the Famicom version of Ys III is better than the one found on the Super Famicom!

The usual flaws do rear their head again on the Famicom. The game's very grindy, though there are some repsawn areas to gain mass XP quickly. And the bosses, while appearing quite fearsome, are basically just massive HP tanks - impossible at low levels while absolutely pathetic at higher ones. But this is all par for the course when it comes to ancient computer ARPGs.

Let me touch on one thing that is unique to the Famicom port. In place of an intro cutscene you instead witness the combined powers of Ys I and Ys II coalesce to birth Ys III CUE MUSIC BABY (words don't do it justice, watch the first 90 seconds or so here).
I had a lot of fun with this. It's a decent port of a slick ARPG. I'm also the target audience. For those who have never experienced Ys III, the best version by far is the one found on TurboGrafx CD. Phenomenal.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:47 pm

Other than the TurboGrafx version, what versions do you consider worth playing? Clearly you like the Famicom version, but what about Genesis and SNES?
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:51 pm

TurboGrafx CD is the best by a landslide. Great gameplay and the music just pushes it over the edge into greatness.

Genesis is solid. Gameplay comparable to TGCD, but obviously the musical score isn't as rad.

Famicom = read my last post. 8) I dig it, but there's no real reason for a casual fan to play it unless you really want to try the most accessible 8-bit version.

SNES is the worst. Sloppy hit detection and an overpowered asshole of a final boss.

PlayStation 2 is odd. It's insanely short and easy. Like, you'd finish it in an afternoon. Might be fun to try once you've already finished another version and have a good handle on the game (it's in Japanese).
Return to General Gaming