Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
alienjesus
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by alienjesus Sat May 06, 2017 6:08 pm

Axel is actually my least favourite to play as in both 1 and 2, although I like him a little more in 3.

In 1 I like Blaze best, and in 2 I liked Skate the most as a kid. On a recent playthrough I was liking both Blaze and Max a lot though, and doing better as them too (I was playing the character rotating mode that's in the 3DS port).

I'm more undecided on 3 so far.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat May 06, 2017 6:29 pm

Interesting, I kind of like SoR2 Axel more than SoR3 Axel. It seems like he has better reach in 2.

Skate is pretty good with his grabs, but he just looks... lame to me haha.

I've always liked Dr Zan, but I would probably take Max over him. Shame Adam didn't make it into the sequels, I really dig him even though I prefer the mid-speed types like Axel, Adam was still fast enough and awesome. I think I might run with Blaze for SoR3 next time.

Final Fight wise, let's just say... Cody sucks. lol, he's fine but Guy and Haggar specialize in their respective areas so much that I never care to use Cody anymore.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sat May 06, 2017 8:25 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)

* replay

And beat! Cleared on normal with no continues and used Blaze. She was pretty awesome, though the backflip kick leaves her a bit open to some attacks. Her running special move fully upgraded at three stars is awesome.

Got the good true ending. I forgot that's the one with the robot level and Neo X at the end... I kind of prefer the other route where you fight Shiva at the end.

Playing them back to back again, I would say I probably like SoR2's levels the most (more cool cityscapes). But you really have to love how much more advanced SoR3's mechanics are and the game runs way faster. Both have their strengths and are perfect.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sat May 06, 2017 10:47 pm

Xeogred wrote:Have you ever played SoR Remake? You can eventually unlock a bunch of other side characters like Shiva, Mr X, some female ninja (forget if she was a boss in 3 somewhere), some others. They all play so authentically well too, it's incredible. It really is pretty much SoR4.

Oh, yeah, definitely. It's great. I played through all the routes back when it came out. I was shocked at the quality, it absolutely felt like a new SoR game.

As for games I've beaten, I just finished Mighty No. 9. I'm here to tell y'all, it's not a great game, but it certainly didn't deserve the crap that it caught. I figure it's a bit above average. Sometimes the game really sings, and other times there are massive, cheap, unfair difficulty spikes that bring the whole thing down. The mechanics don't always mesh well. Still, if you can get it ridiculously cheap, it's not bad. I don't feel bad dropping a ten spot on it.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun May 07, 2017 8:28 am

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 40

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (3 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6

40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6

Having had an extremely unsuccessful console with the Wii U, Nintendo has been doing a fair bit of porting their games to Switch and 3DS. Between Hyrule Warriors, Yoshi's Woolly World, Breath of the Wild, and now Mario Kart 8, former Wii U exclusives are often available on other platforms, sometimes with slight upgrades and sometimes with slight downgrades. So how does Mario Kart 8 Deluxe stack up against the original Wii U release now that it's graced the Switch with its presence? Imagine someone gives you the best birthday present in the world, and when you've finally regained your compose, they shout "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!" Yeah, it's kind of like that.

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe is pretty much exactly the same game that you got on the Wii U with the inclusion of all DLC (including the Mercedes-Benz karts) and a few new extras. The resolution (while docked) is a full 1080p rather than the Wii U's upscaled 720p, and - for those who notice such things - the weird dropped frame issue in the Wii U version has been fixed (check out Digital Foundry's video that shows the random drop to 59 fps), keeping this release locked at a solid and (as far as I can tell) unwavering 60 fps. There are six new characters - King Boo, Dry Bones, Bowser Jr, the Inkling boy and girl, and Gold Mario (unlockable by beating all 12 grand prix cups on 200 cc). With the exception of Gold Mario, all drivers are unlocked from the start. There are also a few new kart options and a totally revamped Battle Mode with eight battle courses - three old ones and five all new ones. My favorite addition (aside from Inkling girl; she's my waifu), however, is the return of the double item box and ability to hold two items. It was one of the things I thought made Double Dash the best game in the series until Mario Kart 8, and it was my only real complaint about Mario Kart 8 on Wii U.

What if you're a total scrub and never played Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U, though? Well, let me break down for you why this is the best damn Mario Kart game ever made. Making a return from Mario Kart Wii are the bikes in addition to your standard karts, but new to Mario Kart 8 are the ATV class of vehicles. There are also (excluding the four DLC cups) four cups with redesigned tracks from previous Mario Kart games as well as four cups with all new tracks. Throw in local and online play, both of which are extremely smooth and - in case of online - completely devoid of lag or connection issues as far as my experience goes, and you truly have the definitive Mario Kart experience here. Add in the DLC and the few extras and enhancements from the Switch port, and best Mario Kart game ever made gets even bester.

While the racing is super tight and truly superb, the battle mode is possibly the aspect of this game that stands out the most simply because of how much it's been improved over its Wii U counterpart. The added battle arena tracks alone set it far above its original release (especially given how fond I am of the Splatoon themed battle arena). There are now five different game types in battle mode. The tried-and-true Balloon Battle has been altered from the original release of Mario Kart 8; instead of having a last man standing style of battle, it's now based on points with a time limit; if all of your balloons are popped, you respawn, but you lose half of your accumulated points. There's also Renegade Roundup which is basically just cops and robbers cross Mario Kart; Bob-omb Blast which is a spin on Balloon Battle where you just use a shit load of Bob-ombs; Coin Runners which is my least favorite, being just "collect more coins than the other guys;" and Shine Thief in which you much collect the Shine Sprite and hold onto it for 30 seconds. If you're hit and lose the Shine Sprite, your timer doesn't reset, but you have to reacquire it to start counting down again.

Now, of course, it wouldn't be a major first party release without some kind of amiibo functionality, right? Well, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe keeps the same basic amiibo functionality as the original release, but it adds in Splatoon themed Mii outfits that can be unlocked with Splatoon amiibos. It also expands the amiibo compatibility list by allowing you to use amiibo variations (for example, any of the eight Splatoon amiibos can unlock the Splatoon outfit, and any of the gazillion Animal Crossing amiibos or amiibo cards can unlock the Animal Crossing outfit). Personally, I would have liked to see Nintendo add a bit more here - something special for the gold Mario or Mega Man amiibos or the various Zelda or Monster Hunter amiibos, for example - but it's not bad for a little bullshit extra. If nothing else, it gives amiibo collectors a little something cool while not making those without amiibos feel screwed over.

I know I've said it a couple times already, but me reiterate again for those who didn't get it the first however many times - Mario Kart 8 Deluxe on the Switch is the greatest Mario Kart release to date. As far as I'm concerned, this is a concrete and indisputable scientific fact. I mean, hell, it sold over a million copies in less than a week and has a 1:2 adoption rate among Switch owners in the United States. There's a TON of fun to be had here both single player and multiplayer, and that multiplayer fun is just as good local as it is online. Set up a LAN party, set up an online game, or battle it out against the CPU at 200 cc. Whatever your preferred flavor, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe has something to offer, and that something is basically crack cocaine. You need it. You NEED it. Trust me; you need it.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Sun May 07, 2017 10:29 am

Yeah, I own Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and I won't feel bad about buying it again when I get a Switch. Sounds worth it for Battle Mode alone and all around, it is quite possibly the best Mario Kart ever.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun May 07, 2017 4:42 pm

Xeogred wrote:Yeah, I own Mario Kart 8 on the Wii U and I won't feel bad about buying it again when I get a Switch. Sounds worth it for Battle Mode alone and all around, it is quite possibly the best Mario Kart ever.

Dude, hit us up when you get it. Bogus, Lauren, and I are almost always down for some MK8.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun May 07, 2017 8:32 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC
20. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - PC
21. Mass Effect Andromeda - PC
22. Starflight 2 - PC
23. Armored Hunter Gunhound EX - PC
24. Space Megaforce - SNES
25. Persona 5 - PS4
26. Torment: Tides of Numenera - PC
27. Cosmic Star Heroine - PC
28. Prey - PC

Imagine that during the preproduction for System Shock 1 the dev team was sucked through a time portal and deposited to the future year of 2015 and told to make a game using all the fancy new technology. They look at their design docs, look at the shiny future, and say "yeah, we can totally work this". The end result is Prey.

Prey is set in the near future in an alternate time line; things forked right at the start of the space race due to the Soviet discovery of a strange alien creature on one of their probes. This cause them to secretly ally with the US to study the creature and work together to allow man to more properly explore space. The end result is a giant space station devoted to studying this creature and its possibilities. But, like any good sci fi story, the creature escapes and shit goes down.

Once things get going you will be exploring the Talos I space station where this research was conducted. It's post disaster and most people are dead. You need to piece together what happened during and before the disaster and how you can mitigate it. This ends up being told across a combination of notes, emails, and voice logs.

If this all seems pretty System Shock 1 to you then that's good, because it should. This game very heavily borrows from SS1's formula, including having a large station that you slowly uncover. At several points you can say "screw it" and explore areas that aren't related to the step of the main quest you're on. There are a variety of interconnections between the various areas, and opening up some of these paths let you move much faster between areas than you might otherwise. And you even can go EVA and maneuver in zero-G to go from airlock to airlock outside the station.

On top of this they add a variety of System Shock 2's skill system. You can unlock a variety of physical buffs, abilities, and later in the game psionic powers. By the end of the game I had unlocked half the total available abilities, so you'll want to pick and choose what best suits your playstyle. I found there tended to be multiple ways to approach problems that depended on what abilities you had available to you at the time. It all flows very well.

The story was pretty interesting; the mystery slowly unfolds and you are never 100% sure that everything is as it seems. At the end of the day it's going to be up to your judgement of what's true and false and to act accordingly.

Arkane has once again knocked it out of the park.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sun May 07, 2017 10:17 pm

22. Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris | PC | action adventure | 2014 | 5h | 7/10

If you're looking for a good local multiplayer game, Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris is a top choice. Like its predecessor, this experience is designed primarily for co-op (up to four simultaneous players). The gameplay is a fun hybrid of Gauntlet and Tomb Raider. Great graphics, cool boss fights, clever puzzles, and a constant sense of progression make for a pleasant playthrough. However the ridiculous amount of collectables, ludicrously zoomed out camera, easy difficulty, and growing repetitiveness weigh the experience down eventually.
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon May 08, 2017 1:27 am

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)
16. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 (PC)
17. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (WiiU)
18. Dishonored 2 (PC)
19. Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
20. Kirby's Dream Land 2 (GB)
21. Super Mario Land (GB)
22. Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
23. Mighty Final Fight (NES)
24. Kirby's Dream Land 3 (SNES)
25. Trip World (GB)
26. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist (Genesis)
27. Aladdin (Genesis)
28. Streets of Rage (SMS)
29. Bare Knuckle (Genesis)
30. Bare Knuckle 2* (Genesis)
31. Bare Knuckle 3* (Genesis)
32. Marchen Adventure Cotton 100% (SNES)
33. Earthworm Jim* (Sega CD)

* replay

Looks like the Cotton series is pretty big. The Genesis game looks awesome so I might check that one out. Anyways, I was on the look out for some good quick and easy shmups and this was one of the recommendations. It's awesome! It took me two attempts, one of the mid bosses (the big tree) drained a ton of my lives. Apparently I was at the final boss on my first run though, haha. Even on normal with 3 lives, it's definitely easy. And my second time through I think I was fully powered by level 3. This is a rare one where you can actually bump into the walls which aids in its easiness.

It's a cute game with some cool little anime-fied cutscenes in between the levels. The standout feature here to me would easily be the insanely awesome graphics. Lots of lush environments and great looking backgrounds:

ImageImage
ImageImage

Earthworm Jim - still fuming at this haha, holy shit. Even if I've beaten this game countless times, it's a case of that not exactly making it any easier when I revisit it! So many instant death traps. Anyways, I grew up probably playing the SNES version the most, but also played the Genesis version a lot and I prefer that one. But I figured I'd give one of the CD versions a shot. Turns out the extra level here was kind of lame, though visually looked cool and had this eerie dark tune. The music was awesome, but I still prefer the crunchier Genesis OST.

The CD ending was absolutely amazing though. Hard ending.

Still love me some Earthworm Jim, but yeah you still have to be ready for some punishment. Maybe I'll try to beat 2 sometime soon, since I think I've only beaten that one... maybe once. I like it a lot too, but as I expressed in another thread recently, I finally realized I definitely like the first game quite a bit more. 2 got a bit too crazy with the experimentation and different level types.

Was going to add some normal picture here but I found this and thought I would share the nightmares with everyone:

Groovy!

Finally getting some nice texture to my HLTB profile.
Return to General Gaming