Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Ack

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Ack Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:20 pm

But will anything ever beat Return to Castle Wolfenstein?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:54 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB

The last of the SaGa games (rebranded as FF Legend) on the Game Boy, FFL3 actually ends up being closer to the game series it shares its localized title with compared to the other two SaGa games. This is because the original designers of SaGa 1 & 2 didn't work on this one; instead it was the team that would go on to do Mystic Quest. You'll notice a bit of similarity there, such as the jump feature.

SaGa 3 brings back traditional leveling and equipment mechanics. Weapons no longer break after so many uses and you don't have to balance armor with open slots; you just have a standard set of equipment slots. The main thing kept is the transformation mechanics. They've been both expanded and simplified the mechanic from the previous two games.

Monster - Beast - Human/Mutant - Cyborg - Robot

Now the transformations act as classes. You start with two humans and two mutants. Eating meat moves you left on the line, installing parts moves you right. You'll always return to human or mutant for a given character if you return to the middle; no crossing over between the two. Humans are the best with weapons, mutants are the best with spells. Beasts have higher stats and are the best with techniques. Monsters rely entirely on their innate abilities and can't use equipment. Cyborgs gain stats based on their equipped gear (e.g. armor gives HP) and scale late game. Robots have low stats but can be improved permanently by taking pills (similar to FFL1) and gain a bonus on Robot techniques. This ends up making for some interesting choices throughout the game, though at the end of the game everyone equips one of the four mystic swords that everyone uses with equal proficiency.

The story is about as interesting as a Game Boy RPG story can get; there's some time travel and some sacrifice. You end up saving the world from being drowned across time. There's not a whole lot to say about it because the text space was extremely limited, so it's very bare bones. But hey, it gets the work done.

I'd say of the three SaGa games this one is definitely the most polished, and totally worth your time if you like Game Boy RPGs. But Pokémon does end up being more refined.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

by BoneSnapDeez Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:28 pm

SaGa games are so boss. Such an underrated series.

Time to try the DS remake!

(and what the hell, there was a Vita SaGa game released last year?!)
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:32 pm

Popo probably knows, but for those that don't, the DS Saga games received full English fan translations:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1610/

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1705/
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:33 pm

Xeogred wrote:Gonna get a new GPU soon?

For whatever reason The Old Blood was extremely taxing, when I could max out TNO on my old card. I hear Doom 4 is really well optimized though, it ran amazingly well on the PS4 as well.

The Old Blood is only about 6 hours long so it's a smaller bite.

My current GPU has mostly been having driver-related problems from what I can tell. It's only once I try and install drivers does the computer just crash every time I try and boot it up from bad drivers. I haven't tried my most recent idea to get it to work yet though (Having the Nvidia site find the drivers instead of me manually finding them, since I might be accidentally installing the wrong ones or something). Spring break is coming up though, so I plan to do it then when I don't need this computer as badly for everything and I can afford to have it be down for a day if I gotta do a whole 'nother full-reinstall of Windows to purge out the bad drivers Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:18 am

Yeah doing the Nvidia system check is a good idea if you are unsure.
Juan Aguacate
24-bit

by Juan Aguacate Sun Feb 19, 2017 8:20 am

Final Fantasy XV

Square Enix does it again. Somehow they keep hitting new lows with FF

FF XV is the new black sheep of this franchise. Yes, it's WORSE than Final Fantasy XIII

* Combat system is possibly the worst in the entire series
* Music is mediocre
* Story is garbage
* Chapter 13 is the single worst dungeon I have ever played through in a modern Final Fantasy game. It's this never ending, ridiculously fucking long, repetitive dungeon that tries to be Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil all mushed together with shitty stealth sections and Resident Evil style save/rest rooms and an annoying RE style monster stalking you along with RE style corpses grabbing your legs when you walk by. There are not enough expletives for the heaping, stinking, pile of garbage that is this chapter. It's Final Fantasy trying so hard to NOT be Final Fantasy
* Some of the worst boss fights in Final Fantasy history. The main story line boss battles are garbage. They are style over substance with the game trying to be "cinematic" rather than giving you well designed, challenging bosses

The only good things about the game are really minor like the fun fishing mini game. Or the camraderie between the main characters. Though the story is so shit that it doesn't really matter by the end of the game. There are some cool characters in FF XV, but the story doesn't use them well. And it's sad that the fishing mini game is more fun than the game's actual combat.

This game fucking sucks. This franchise is just digging itself deeper with every new installment
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:15 am

Exhuminator wrote:Popo probably knows, but for those that don't, the DS Saga games received full English fan translations:

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1610/

http://www.romhacking.net/translations/1705/

I actually did not know the SaGa 3 translation had been picked up. I do have the SaGa 2 translation and it's on my list of games to get through at some point.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:52 pm

I thought I was going to love the heck out of the SaGa 2 remake, but for some reason it just didn't sit right with me. I still like the old one better. :(
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:59 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
Markies wrote:The game seemed like it was developed for the Super Nintendo with sprite like graphics and midi sound for the music.

typical JRPG

very grindy

If you are a RPG fanatic, it is worth a shot

Sounds like the perfect game to me!

Seeing your tastes around here, I think you would really enjoy it. I am being completely honest.

It is good for what it is. As long as you go in with those expectations, you will do fine.

It was developed by Camelot who would eventually make the Golden Sun franchise on the GBA/DS. The games share similar themes and battle styles. So, if you enjoy those games, give this one a shot. It runs between $15 and $25, so it is fairly cheap.
Return to General Gaming