12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC

I've been saying for years that we need a World War 1 video game. And Battlefield 1's single player campaign definitely delivers. I cannot comment on the multiplayer as I never intended to try that aspect of it out. But the single player definitely takes some cues from Band of Brothers in terms of giving appropriate gravitas to the subject matter as it follows around five protagonists. There's technically six chapters, but the first one is a sort of intro where you get killed several times to lay in that so many people were statistics. There isn't an overriding protagonist like the other five.

The five real chapters each have a particular focus to them. The first is a British tank crew trying to break through to retake an occupied French town, and you split your time between driving the tank and doing some reconnoitering outside; these parts encourage you to make use of the stealth features a bit. The second follows an American volunteer in the air war before the US formally joined the war effort and has you attacking both ground an air targets. One nice thing they did was removing stalling as a concept (as far as I could tell); this could have been intensely frustrating otherwise. The third follows an Italian commando during fighting in the Alps; this one is the trenchiest of the battles. The fourth follows an Australian old vet (unlike the rest who are in their early 20's he's over 50) during the attempted assault on Gallipoli. The last has you take command of a female Bedouin nomad as you strike at the Ottomans in the desert, culminating with destroying an armored train full of guns. Each gives you a different view of the war and helps show that it wasn't just faceoffs across miles of trenches.

The weaponry is a mix of bolt action stuff and some automatic weapons. The automatics are not the nice automatics we've gotten used to in our modern games; these have ridiculous amounts of climb and half the time can't even be iron signed well. The missions end up being about half solo and half with other soldiers, and in the latter case they managed to do a good job of making you feel like part of a larger conflict, rather than you being Rambo taking down everyone on your own.

The experience is short but varied, and they resisted the temptation to put in "boss" enemies. The closest you get are the heavily armored flamethrower and machine gun troops; the former can be quickly taken out by a shot to the gas tank and the latter fold to a couple grenades or a Lewis gun of your own. The flamethrower is appropriately "oh shit" when one starts to lay on you.

Definitely worth the $30 I spent when it was on sale. I'd probably feel a little let down if I had purchased it full price since I have no plans to touch the multiplayer.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:02 pm

I still haven't touched that because Titanfall 2 was too good.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:58 pm

I enjoyed the first part of the campaign in BF1 but hated the flying tutorial that was forced on me (about an hour or two in) and skipped going back to it...
Ack

by Ack Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:58 pm

dsheinem wrote:I enjoyed the first part of the campaign in BF1 but hated the flying tutorial that was forced on me (about an hour or two in) and skipped going back to it...

Just think about it like you're Snoopy, and you've been forced to play Pilotwings.
I have a movie review website now: https://moviereviewsbyamook.com/
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:06 pm

BoneSnapDeez wrote:
PartridgeSenpai wrote:17. Seifuku Densetsu Pretty Fighter X (Saturn)

Ya know what..... eff it, I'm gonna try this one out. Looks like it has a Asuka 120% Burning Fest vibe. Seems like there's a Super Famicom installment too!

I forgot to mention that all 11 girls' story modes have like, a minute or two of anime as a intro to who they are before the story mode starts proper. There's a VERY retro anime vibe to those that I really dug.

I think you're right about that Super Faimcom version though. I could swear I've seen it on lists before and just had no idea what to make of it. I hope you enjoy it :D
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:09 pm

dsheinem wrote:I enjoyed the first part of the campaign in BF1 but hated the flying tutorial that was forced on me (about an hour or two in) and skipped going back to it...

It's such a short tutorial. If you hated it then you would have hated the entire chapter because you clearly just hated the flight model.
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
REPO Man
Next-Gen

by REPO Man Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:16 am

Metroid: Zero Mission for GBA on easy, via my softmodded 3DS. I finished with 66% and am currently trying to get the remaining 34%.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:50 am

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 26

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (4 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18

26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18

Super Bomberman R is the first Bomberman game I've played since Bomberman 64. When I first saw the trailers and screenshots for this game, I got SUPER excited. It looked like the basic gameplay style of the old NES Bomberman but with the more modern art style and 1080p visuals. With a 52 level story mode (including boss fights) and online multiplayer, I was stoked for this game. After that, I was disappointed with this game.

Let's get one thing clear - this is not a bad game. It really isn't. Unfortunately, it's not particularly "good" either. It's just sort of okay. There are five stages in the story mode, and each stage is broken into eight levels plus two boss fights. At the end of the second stage 5 boss fight, you have another two phase boss fight with the final boss. It's the typical mazes, power-ups, and gameplay you probably expect from Bomberman, and the little scenes sprinkled throughout the story mode are cute. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a match online. I don't know if there wasn't anyone playing when I was this morning or if they're doing server maintenance or what, but it couldn't find a game when I selected quick play.

The gameplay itself is actually a good bit of fun, and it would be a fantastic game if it weren't for one big issue - the controls. There's been a patch released to fix some input lag issues, but I didn't start playing until after that update was released. I first started playing with the pro controller, but I soon moved to playing in handheld mode. The controls with the pro controller, using both the left control stick and the D pad, felt extremely slippery and imprecise. Using the separate directional buttons on the left Joycon certainly felt better, but at no point did the controls ever feel truly comfortable.

Honestly, since I wasn't able to try the online play this morning, there isn't a whole lot left to say. The game's okay. It's not great, but it's certainly not bad. If you're a fan of Bomberman or want a good multiplayer game, then I definitely recommend it. If you're just the average Switch owner with no particular affinity towards Bomberman, however, I'd say pick it up if you find it on sale for cheap, but don't go out of your way for it. It's pretty good, but it's not amazing.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Flake

by Flake Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:35 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 26

Super Bomberman R is the first Bomberman game I've played since Bomberman 64.

Sorry to hear that Bomberman R is not everything it should be. I have not played a Bomberman game since Super Bomberman 2 for the SNES. Is Bomberman 64 any good? I hear it released on the WiiU a couple weeks ago.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:39 pm

Flake wrote:
ElkinFencer10 wrote:Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 26

Super Bomberman R is the first Bomberman game I've played since Bomberman 64.

Sorry to hear that Bomberman R is not everything it should be. I have not played a Bomberman game since Super Bomberman 2 for the SNES. Is Bomberman 64 any good? I hear it released on the WiiU a couple weeks ago.

Bomberman 64 is a 3d puzzle game. It really is all about exploring an environment and solving puzzles. It plays unlike other bomberman games and some may like it for that reason while others will hate it for the same reasons.

The one and only bomberman every person needs to play is Saturn Bomberman.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Return to General Gaming