Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Xeogred
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Xeogred Tue Jul 04, 2017 10:55 pm

@Bone: Good tips. I've been digging through developers which is useful, but yeah I'll try the curators/tags.

And it's hilarious still discovering ports of old stuff, I had no idea that D was on Steam.

@Flake: Do you have a 360? I highly recommend Lost Odyssey if you do. Definitely feels comparable to FFX in ways and like a lost PSX Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi and Uematsu included. It does have a BS fight or two along the way though, I'd say it's definitely a little harder than the FF's. Great world and characters though for sure.
Flake

by Flake Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:36 am

Xeogred wrote:@Flake: Do you have a 360? I highly recommend Lost Odyssey if you do. Definitely feels comparable to FFX in ways and like a lost PSX Final Fantasy. Sakaguchi and Uematsu included. It does have a BS fight or two along the way though, I'd say it's definitely a little harder than the FF's. Great world and characters though for sure.

I used to have a 360 but it was showing signs that it was about to red ring so I traded it into Gamestop.

I actually fell out of love with the JRPG genre all together these last 10 years or so but for some reason, I am definitely reconnecting with it. If I had to guess, it might be that the technology I use to play the games has improved a lot. Having the ability to suspend a game instead of worrying if I'll make it to the next save point has made it easier to take on titles that I otherwise would never be able to finish.
Maybe now Nintendo will acknowledge Metroid has a fanbase?
Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:32 am

Adventures of Mana was pretty great. I played through the GB version multiple times, so I can confirm that it's pretty much exactly like it was there, although a bit easier.
Markies
Next-Gen

by Markies Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:20 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)
12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)
13. Crash Bandicoot (PS1)
14. Pikmin (GCN)
15. Syberia (XBOX)
16. Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2)
17. Tetris Plus (PS1)
18. Metropolis Street Racer (DC)
19. Darkwing Duck (NES)
20. Marvel Vs. Capcom 2: New Age of Heroes (PS2)
21. Ico (PS2)

22. Final Fantasy V (SNES)

I beat Final Fantasy V on the Super Nintendo this evening!

But, a quick rundown, I did an unofficial Four Job Fiesta Run as a Black Mage, Summoner, Hunter and Dragoon. All I had was the final area.

I was doing fine until I ran into Twin Tania! Holy crap, that guy murdered me. I noticed that he was countering my Summons, so I used my two magic dealers as Golem/Carbuncle and then basically healers. I just SShot with my Dragoon and Hunter. I then did the N-Zone and got to Ex-Death. Killed him fine and then got one by Neo Ex-Death.

I eventually realized that his Almageist spell was killing me with no remorse. So, I walked back to where I fought Twin Tania. Leveled for about an hour, got my HP above 1700, fought him again and then killed him on my first shot. That Almageist spell is like Big Band from Final Fantasy IV. You just have to be at a level high enough to survive it!

I had played Final Fantasy V before, but it was always on the Playstation 1. Each time I had played it, I did the exact same thing. Master all Jobs while grinding to about Level 80 and then do the final dungeon by using Gil Toss the entire way.

I picked up this reproduction cart a few years ago and I wanted to do something differently. Since this is the Super Famicom version, I wanted to try a new way. So, I only mastered 4 jobs, squeak by at Level 42 and learned the game the entire way.

In a way, Final Fantasy V can be very frustrating. There are way too many quirks to the game and way too many enemies that have unavoidable attacks that drain almost all of your HP. The level curve is rather fierce and the AP grinding is unavoidable.

On the other hand, Final Fantasy V has so many set pieces that are infamous. From a great job system to the introduction of Gilgamesh to utterly fantastic music to characters with interesting personalities, Final Fantasy V is a game with character. Also, with the class system and the intricacies with all of the bosses, it is a fun game to learn and to break in your favor.

Final Fantasy V is not one of the great tier games in the Final Fantasy series, but I would say it is on the cusp of them. It is a memorable game and it is hard to find a 16 bit JRPG with this much depth. You don't many games of this age that people play once a year and get a whole new experience every time. It is remarkable and a treat for any RPG fan!
MrPopo

by MrPopo Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:13 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC
20. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - PC
21. Mass Effect Andromeda - PC
22. Starflight 2 - PC
23. Armored Hunter Gunhound EX - PC
24. Space Megaforce - SNES
25. Persona 5 - PS4
26. Torment: Tides of Numenera - PC
27. Cosmic Star Heroine - PC
28. Prey - PC
29. Strafe - PC
30. Mystic Origins - NES
31. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS
32. Ultra Street Fighter II - Switch
33. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - PC
34. Ultima IV - PC
35. Environmental Station Alpha - PC
36. Dust: An Elysian Tail - PC

The second of the games I picked up recently, this ended up being less Metroidvania and more Muramasa with some exploration aspects. It was still quite fun, but I am a little ticked at people who ended up miscategorizing it.

So Dust is mostly the work of a single self taught animator who picked up programming to do this game. His artistic focus really shows in the game's graphics; it's very similar to Vanillaware's output with a lot of really pretty hand drawn characters, animations, and multi layered backgrounds. However, here you have more of the feel of a Disney cartoon, whereas Vanillaware is more on the watercolor end of things. Interestingly, the actual cutscenes in game actually look really terrible; like someone grabbed some drawings off of DeviantArt and linked them with some basic animations. It's weird because the large character stills for dialog look much better, and the actual sprites look amazing.

Gameplay wise I mentioned it is very similar to Muramasa from Vanillaware. It's a melee focused combat game, though you do have a ranged attack available (which is mostly good for stunning enemies to combo them). The thing that gets added is that there is more attention paid to having some level of exploration. You will gain some mobility options as you make your way through the game, but the stuff they unlock is either the path right in front of you or access to some minor treasure in a side path in a place you've already visited. There is absolutely no backtracking to a previous level to explore a new path that you've unlocked.

Unfortunately, the game's combat just isn't as good as Muramasa's. You spend most of your time on the ground doing your one basic combo, with a quick dash to get out of the middle of a crowd. It ends up starting to feel very samey, and the attempts by the game to inject some enemies requiring more thought end up being far more tedious than difficult. There's one enemy that you need to parry to open him up (but he likes to not attack for a while), one enemy you can only hit with your ranged attack, and a late game enemy that tends to block your attacks and only take chip damage. But the last one happens during a segment where you have lots of NPCs helping you, so the whole thing is one giant clusterfuck due to an inability to really see what's going on.

The story is fairly pedestrian. You wake up with amnesia, a sword tells you to fight evil, there's a revelation that you probably figured out the essence of long before it shows up, and the final villain tries to inject some nuance with his death speech. Nothing to write home about, but it works.

A decent game, especially if you can get it on sale.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
miked
128-bit

by miked Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:35 pm

I beat Metroid last night. I beat it last year on an emulator with save states but last night I did it on real hardware.

I used to think this game was unbeatable when I was a kid, but once you know where to go its not so bad. Not even the Ridley and Kraid fights are difficult. Just find a good spot and go crazy with the wave beam.

The part I hate the most is that energy tank with the false floor in front of it in Ridleys lair. I think I had to make 7 or 8 attempts at that.

Also died once on mother brain, and the grind to refill your energy and ammo is pretty harsh. Love that sense of accomplishment afterwards though.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:49 pm

Nice! The grind to refill ammo or from loading a password is definitely brutal.

As a kid I always got lost in Norfair, but once you figure out some of those fake floors it's smooth sailing from there.
miked
128-bit

by miked Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:57 pm

Yeah if I would of died on MB a second time I probably would have turned it off and tried again today.

Out of curiosity I looked up Metroid rom hacks to see what people have accomplished and I found this one:

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

It adds a three slot saving system that also saves you energy levels, and a scrolling map for the pause screen. Pretty freaking neat, but I wouldn't feel near as cool if I beat it that way.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:31 pm

That's pretty cool.

I want to check this hack out, released a little after AM2R recently and looks like it tweaks the game quite a lot.

http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3280/
miked
128-bit

by miked Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:53 pm

Wow. Now THATS a romhack haha. It has been downloaded to be put on my softmodded Wii in the near future.

Of course my eyes quickly drifted to the side bar where I notices NES Golf: Starring KISS:
http://www.romhacking.net/hacks/1186/

Dreams do come true. :lol:
Return to General Gaming