Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
REPO Man
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by REPO Man Fri Aug 04, 2017 1:32 pm

Lego Harry Potter: Years 1-4 for PS4, though I'm gonna wait until I get to 100% before I move onto Years 5-7.
Flake

by Flake Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:15 pm

January:
Super Mario Bros Advance 4: Super Mario Bros 3 (GBA/WiiU)
Super Mario Bros Advance 2: Yoshi's Island (GBA/WiiU)
Wario Land 4 (GBA/WiiU)

March:
The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)

April:
Front Mission 3 (PS1/PSTV)
Mega Man 2 (PS4)

May:
Megaman 3 (PS4)
Megaman 4 (PS4)
Megaman 5 (PS4)
Megaman (PS4)
Megaman 6 (PS4)

June:
Megaman Legends (PSX)
Final Fantasy X HD (PS4)

July:
Marvel vs Capcom: Clash of the Super Heroes (PS3)
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3 (PS4)
Adventures of Mana (PSTV)
Shovel Knight: Shovel of Hope (Switch)
Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes
Castlevania (NES/WiiU)

12 year old Flake would be proud of me! This last weekend, Elkinfencer and I went on a Castlevania rampage. He was largely more successful than I was but I did manage to finally beat the original Castlevania. Not going to lie - save states were used.

The game has aged really, really well. The graphics and music are still a lot of fun to experience and do a great job of conveying the Gothic horror theme. A great example of the art > technology argument.

There are parts that I don't like. I think that the game is needlessly hard in some points - especially when pinpoint precision on jumping portions is required and they throw another wave of medusa heads or gargoyles that don't appear on screen until you've already committed to the jump.

Still working on some of the other classic Castlevania games but I am really glad that I finally saw the ending credits on this classic.
The PSTV is amazing.
---------------
Nintendo ID: Mecha_Flake
PS Network: jace-flake
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:53 pm

No shame in save states. Unless some of these elitist pricks want to start paying for my games, I'm going to play however I want to, and to hell with anyone who thinks otherwise.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:54 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:No shame in save states. Unless some of these elitist pricks want to start paying for my games, I'm going to play however I want to, and to hell with anyone who thinks otherwise.

Is this your latest attempt to get me to be your sugar daddy?
Games Beaten: 2015 2016 2017 2018
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Fri Aug 04, 2017 4:58 pm

It's not my latest attempt to get you not to be my sugar daddy.

Sarge
Next-Gen

by Sarge Fri Aug 04, 2017 5:03 pm

ElkinFencer10 wrote:No shame in save states. Unless some of these elitist pricks want to start paying for my games, I'm going to play however I want to, and to hell with anyone who thinks otherwise.

Shame. SHAAAAAAAAAME.

(I totally use save-states until I'm motivated by whatever reason to play through a game legit.)
Hardcore Retro Gaming - Talk about games ten years old or older!
“History isn't just the story of bad people doing bad things. It's quite as much a story of people trying to do good things. But somehow, something goes wrong.” -- C.S. Lewis
MrPopo

by MrPopo Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:17 pm

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC
20. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - PC
21. Mass Effect Andromeda - PC
22. Starflight 2 - PC
23. Armored Hunter Gunhound EX - PC
24. Space Megaforce - SNES
25. Persona 5 - PS4
26. Torment: Tides of Numenera - PC
27. Cosmic Star Heroine - PC
28. Prey - PC
29. Strafe - PC
30. Mystic Origins - NES
31. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS
32. Ultra Street Fighter II - Switch
33. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky - PC
34. Ultima IV - PC
35. Environmental Station Alpha - PC
36. Dust: An Elysian Tail - PC
37. Hollow Knight - PC
38. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky Second Chapter - PC
39. The Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky the 3rd - PC

Finished up the Trails in the Sky trilogy. The 3rd is both completely unnecessary and utterly vital, all depending on your point of view. A good descriptor I saw for it is that it is the Appendices to the Lord of the Rings. The main plot was wrapped up prior to it, but there's still a whole ton of world and character information contained within. And personally I think it is very worth playing for those parts.

The 3rd starts six months after SC and is focused on Kevin, the priest who joined the party midway through SC. It's mostly delving into his backstory, as well as fleshing out the Church that has an omnipresent and rather powerful presence in the world. Shortly into the game you end up getting sucked into a world that is made up of equal parts recollections of past areas and new featureless dungeon. So you don't really have NPCs to deal with; it's pretty much straight dungeon crawl with story bits at the climax of each area. You will soon be joined by the rest of the gang from the first two games, and a few of them end up having a bit of character building themselves in certain key areas.

However, if you only do the main plot you are missing out on a ton of what makes this game valuable. Equally important are a series of doors that will transport you to events of the past. Most of these have you as a passive observer, but a few are fully controlled by the player. Every character gets their spot in the limelight, and these end up being a mixture of filling in backstory, adding in general world story, or looking at what happened to characters after the events of SC. In the process, several threads for the larger plot of the universe that will be picked up in Zero no Kiseki and Trails of Cold Steel. You might think of it like Trails in the Sky encompassing Rogue One and A New Hope; one major threat is dealt with but there is far more going on in the overall universe. I definitely wonder just how much Falcom has plotted out at a high level.

The major gameplay addition is that Time, Space, and Mirage have been added as weakness/resistances for enemies. This gets shown off in the early areas by a bunch of enemies weak to one of those three. The spell lists for Space and Mirage were filled out a bit better in order to take advantage of this. But since you're starting at such a high level (you start at 95ish, end around 130ish) you'll find yourself sticking with the rank 1 magic due to how the damage formulas work out. Like before, you really don't need to engage in too many fights. The end game is a four part dungeon where the party splits up into four teams, so you will want to have them all kitted out in quartz, and that's going to be the majority of your ginding. But even that's not too bad; I did it over the course of two nights (a couple hours each night).

So if you've gotten to the end of SC and are wondering why you should play The 3rd, the answer is "how much do you care about the characters and the world?"
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Fri Aug 04, 2017 10:31 pm

Are any of these games dual audio? The Steam reviews for Cold Steel mention that it's English only. Are they dual audio on the PS3?
MrPopo

by MrPopo Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:08 am

Cold Steel 1 is English audio only on PS3. The three Trails games on PC only have voices for in battle stuff; calling out your special attacks and grunts. Those are also English audio only, but there's JP audio replacement packs for them available on fan sites.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Sat Aug 05, 2017 9:54 am

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 77
* denotes a replay

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (9 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4
34. Persona 5 - PlayStation 4 - April 17
35. Alienation - PlayStation 4 - April 18
36. Danganronpa: Trigger Happy Havoc - PlayStation 4 - April 23
37. Danganronpa 2: Goodbye Despair - PlayStation 4 - April 29

May (14 Games Beaten)
38. Puyo Puyo Tetris - Switch - May 4
39. Fire Emblem Gaiden - Famicom - May 6
40. Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - Switch - May 6
41. Outlast II - PlayStation 4 - May 7
42. Dishonored - PlayStation 4 - May 10
43. Snipperclips: Cut it Out, Together! - Switch - May 12
44. Pikmin - Gamecube - May 12
45. Metal Slug - Neo Geo MVS - May 13*
46. Dariusburst CS: Chronicle Savior - PlayStation 4 - May 14
47. Batman: The TellTale Series - PlayStation 4 - May 17
48. Batman: Arkham VR - PlayStation 4 - May 18
49. Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia - 3DS - May 25
50. Farpoint - PlayStation 4 - May 27
51. The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings - Xbox 360 - May 29

June (10 Games Beaten)
52. Star Trek: Bridge Crew - PlayStation 4 - June 2
53. The Walking Dead: A New Frontier - PlayStation 4 - June 3
54. Rebel Galaxy - PC - June 18
55. The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel II - Vita - June 20
56. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - PC - June 21*
57. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Spearhead - PC - June 21
58. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault - Breakthrough - PC - June 22
59. Aliens Versus Predator - PC - June 23
60. Army Men - PC - June 24*
61. Apartment 666 - PC - June 26

July (15 Game Beaten)
62. Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: The Hyperstone Heist - Genesis - July 12*
63. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Hearts of Stone - PlayStation 4 - July 15
64. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Blood and Wine - PlayStation 4 - July 22
65. The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - PlayStation 4 - July 24
66. Splatoon 2 - Switch - July 25
67. Kamiko - Switch - July 25
68. Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge - Xbox - July 26
69. Panzer Dragoon - Saturn - July 27*
70. Snake Pass - Switch - July 27
71. Buck Bumble - Nintendo 64 - July 28*
72. Castlevania - NES - July 29
73. Castlevania II: Simon's Quest - NES - July 29
74. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse - NES - July 29
75. Super Castlevania IV - SNES - July 30
76. Castlevania Adventure - Game Boy - July 30
77. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth - Wii - July 30

77. Castlevania Adventure Rebirth - Wii - July 30

This review is dedicated to flake for sending me some money on PayPal to make sure I downloaded this.  Ours is a bromance so strong not even Dracula could come between us.  <3

Remember WiiWare, Nintendo's underappreciated download service for Wii games?  Konami put out a short "rebirth" series on WiiWare with remakes of three of entries from their old flagship series - Castlevania, Contra, and Gradius.  As the title suggests, this is a remake of the Game Boy title Castlevania Adventure.

With respect to plot, as a remake of Castlevania Adventure, the protagonist is Christopher Belmont, a descendent of Trevor Belmont from Castlevania III and an ancestor of Simon Belmont from the first Castlevania.  While it is a remake of the Game Boy title, it's not a straight remaster but rather a full reimagining in the same way that Super Castlevania IV was a complete reimagining of the original Castlevania.  Whereas the Game Boy title had four stages, there are six stages in Rebirth (really, though, there are five; stage six is just the Dracula fight), and all of the stages are very much their own thing rather than a copy of the original game's stages.  The music is done in a similar way; there are remixes and adaptations of music from previous entries in the Castlevania series, but they all feel fresh, new, and unique.  All in all, despite being a remake, this feels like a completely new and unrelated game in the series, and I mean that in the best way possible.

Being on Wii, this game obviously won't give you a high definition picture, but that's not to say that it looks bad as that is far from the case.  Castlevania Rebirth is one of the Wii games that proves that there's more to a good looking game than resolution.  While a 720p or 1080p image certainly would have improved things, the game looks fantastic, keeping true to its 2D sprite roots while adding the visual effects and smooth gameplay one would expect from a modern game.  As was the case with the original Castlevania Adventure, Castlevania Adventure Rebirth doesn't try to do too much.  Konami clearly knew the system they were developing for, knew what it could and couldn't do, and made the best product they could with the resources they had.  The backgrounds and enemy sprites all look fantastic, the bosses are well designed both visually and mechanically, being challenging but fair and looking great but not taxing enough on the system hardware to cause slowdown.

The only big complaint that I have with the game is that stage 5 felt a bit rushed with regards to QA.  In the four previous stages, checkpoints were placed in logical places in roughly equal distances from one another, giving the game a very well paced vibe that gives you the feeling that you're steadily progressing.  Stage 5, on the other hand, feels much more hastily done with regards to checkpoints and powerups.  The checkpoints are spread far apart and in seemingly haphazard locations, leading to a dramatic spike in difficulty from stage 4.  Also during the first four stages, food to restore your health isn't particularly common, but it could still be found in a couple of places through the levels; I didn't find a single piece of food in stage 5.  It's one thing if the game is always stingy in that respect or if the difficulty and item scarcity gradually increase, but it's such a sharp spike from stage 4 to stage 5 that it feels like a design flaw rather than a natural progression of difficulty.

The Castlevania Adventure Rebirth is a fantastic Castlevania experience on Nintendo's Wii console and one that probably got overlooked by a lot of fans of the series given the (unfair) negative reputation the Wii and its WiiWare service had, and that's their loss.  The inclusion of three different difficulty settings and adjustable life stock (up to 9) as well as unlimited continues and the ability to select any previously cleared level if you need to start again later also make it the most approachable 2D Castlevania game for players of all skill levels.  At only 1000 Wii points ($10), it's well worth the price of admission and a great way to kill a few hours vampire hunting.  Tight controls, great music, and pleasing visuals make this a must-have for Wii gamers and Castlevania fans like.

Return to General Gaming