58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC

Another game I've owned forever but never legitimately beat until now. It helps that these days I understand the economic theory of RTS's and so know how to maximize my unit production.

Oh man, the pathfinding is SO BAD. It was frustrating back in the day, but we didn't realize just how bad it was until we got some good pathfinding like in modern RTS's. I actually found myself not using certain units when possible because I didn't want to deal with their pathing. But aside from that the general mechanics still hold up really well. There's a good spread of units that all have a use at one point or another. Some missions definitely guide you towards one unit or another, but otherwise use what you like.

Something that's interesting now that I look back on it is that your opponents across the campaigns are rather unbalanced. The Terran campaign ends up having Terrans as the primary enemy. Out of the nine non-installation missions two are tutorials that are technically against the Zerg, but I don't count those. So of the seven left you fight two against the Zerg, one against the Protoss, and four against the Terrans. It ends up making your Firebats and Vultures pretty meh, through the campaign, which is unfortunate. And there's one mission you can finish in a minute because Defensive Matrix is hilariously OP.

The Zerg campaign has a better spread. You have three missions against Terrans, four against the Protoss, and a single one against the Zerg (and that's only because they go crazy due to Zasz dying). The Protoss campaign is seven against the Zerg and two against the Protoss; you don't even fight the Terrans aside from a triggered event in one mission that sends a squadron of Wraiths and a Battlecruiser against you. It all makes sense in the context of the story, but from the perspective of training you to go out and do multiplayer it's pretty terrible.

I don't think I'm going to take on Brood War just yet. As I recall the Brood War campaign is overall harder and the final mission is essentially a reverse of the final original campaign mission. In the original campaign the final mission is you with two bases surrounding the Zerg in the middle (which lets you build up a satisfying giant attack force and pincer them for ultimate victory). The last Zerg mission of Brood War has you as the Zerg base in the middle surrounded by three enemy bases. I'm sure it's doable, I just don't have the energy for it.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
prfsnl_gmr
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2015

Post by prfsnl_gmr »

1. Cut the Rope (3DS)
2. Ratchet & Clank Future: Tools of Destruction (PS3)
3. Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth (XBOX)
4. Jewel Link Chronicles: Mountains of Madness (NDS)
5. Super Mario 3D World (WIIU)
6. Mario Kart 7 (3DS)
7. Kirby Triple Deluxe (3DS)
8. Gunman Clive (3DS)
9. Child of Light (WIIU)
10. Gunman Clive 2 (3DS)
11. Mighty Switch Force! Hyper Drive Edition (WIIU)
12. Shifting World (3DS)
13. VVVVVV (3DS)
14. Mega Man 9 (PS3)
15. Mighty Switch Force 2 (WIIU)
16. Castle of Illusion Starring Mickey Mouse (PS3)
17. Castle Crashers (PS3)
18. Pushmo (3DS)
19. Steamworld Dig (3DS)
20. The Unfinished Swan (PS3)
21. Blaster Master (NES)
22. Samurai Shodown II (NEOGEO/PS2)
23. E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (2600)
24. Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PS3)
25. Shining Force II (GEN)
26. Rayman Legends (WIIU)
27. Gorf (ARCADE)
28. Fairune (3DS)
29. Mighty Gunvolt (3DS)
30. Ikachan (3DS)
31. Block Boy! (3DS)
32. Legend of the Dark Witch (3DS)
33. R-Type Delta (PS1)
34. Half-Life (PS2)
35. Soul of Darkness (3DS)
36. Cubit the Hardcore Platforming Robot (3DS)
37. Alien on the Run (3DS)
38. Bit.Trip Presents...Runner 2: Future Legend of Rhythm Alien (WIIU)
39. Hazumi (3DS)
40. Aaru's Awakening (PS3)
41. Teslagrad (PS3)
42. Monsters (Probably) Stole My Princess (PS3)
43. Year Walk (Wii U)
44. Xeodrifter (3DS)

Xeodrifter (3DS) is a fun 2D action platformer developed by Renegade Kid (the creator of Dementium, Mutant Mudds, etc.) and strongly influenced by Nintendo's Metroid (NES). While it lasts, the game is fun and legitimately challenging. Moreover, it nails the Metroid formula perfectly. It is very short, however, and there is not much variety in the bosses, enemies, or levels. Accordingly, it ends up feeling a bit uninspired, and I would have been disappointed if I spent more than $5 on it. I didn't, however, and I recommend it to anyone looking for a quick, no-frills "metroidvania" fix. (Also, the game make spectacular use of the 3DS's 3D effct, and I highly recommend playing it on that platform.)
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

I really need to play through the second loop of Metal Storm. I beat the regular game years ago and think I'd like to take on its next challenge.

prfsnl_gmr wrote:That is nuts. I guess some people are just suckers for punishment.

That's what NES games are all about. ;)
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

1- Heavenly Sword (Ps3)
2- Deus Ex: Human Revolution (PS3)
3- Sonic Generations (Ps3)
4- Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance (3DS)
5- Legend of Zelda: Link between worlds (3DS)
6- Castlevania: Mirror of Fate (3DS)
7- Pokemón Crystal (GBC)
8- Pokemón Fire Red (GBA)
9- Pokémon Y (3DS)*
10- Duke Nukem Forever (PS3)
11- New Super Mario Bros (DS)
12- Dishonored (PS3)
13- Batman: Arkham Asylum (PS3)
14- House of the dead overkill (Ps3)
15- The Evil Within (PS3)
16- Portal 2 (PS3)
17- Ratchet & Clank (PS3)
18- Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando (PS3)
19- Adventure Time: Hey Ice king why did you steal our garbage? (3DS)
20- Ratchet & Clank: Up your Arsenal (PS3)
21- Darksiders 2 (PS3)
22- Metal Gear Solid (PlayStation)
23- Metal Gear Solid 2 (PS3)
24- Metal Gear Solid 3 (PS3)

So despite the few rants i had in RGT i don't hate this game, i just hated the BS parts a bbit more because i made it myself more harder intentionally and unintentionally. So this was my first ever playthrough of the game and since the game keep saying "This is a sneaking mission Snake!" I decided to go full sneaking mode and not kill anyone... first i tough "I will let myself kill the bosses with guns" but after i "killed" the first two bosses with only the tranquilizer gun i decided to do the same with the rest.. boy that made the game interesting. Now my unintentional way of making the game harder was not using the life medicine that basically works like the ration's on the other two game... i totally forgot that existed.. im pretty sure the game tells you about it but i forgot and that made some bosses (The Fury and The Boss) more tricky than they should be. All those things plus being new at the game and having that freaking final chase with motocicles and hoverboards and you can only shoot with the damn tranquilizer gun, i had the sniper rifle from The End but i dont like that kind of weapon in high speed sections.

Now i recommend this DO NOT DO WHAT I DID :lol: seriously that kinda removed some of my enjoyment from the game. Now that i beat it im watching a lets play and the game has a bunch of tricks under its sleeve to make everything easier even on higher difficulties.

A lot of people clain this is the best one but i had more fun with the first one for the campiness in the cutscenes, this one is campy as well but i prefer the original, i can see myself liking more the game after more playthroughs since some problems have diferent solutions and that would make almost every play diferent from the last.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

BoringSupreez
Next-Gen

Post by BoringSupreez »

Damm64 wrote:So despite the few rants i had in RGT i don't hate this game, i just hated the BS parts a bbit more because i made it myself more harder intentionally and unintentionally. So this was my first ever playthrough of the game and since the game keep saying "This is a sneaking mission Snake!" I decided to go full sneaking mode and not kill anyone... first i tough "I will let myself kill the bosses with guns" but after i "killed" the first two bosses with only the tranquilizer gun i decided to do the same with the rest.. boy that made the game interesting. Now my unintentional way of making the game harder was not using the life medicine that basically works like the ration's on the other two game... i totally forgot that existed.. im pretty sure the game tells you about it but i forgot and that made some bosses (The Fury and The Boss) more tricky than they should be. All those things plus being new at the game and having that freaking final chase with motocicles and hoverboards and you can only shoot with the damn tranquilizer gun, i had the sniper rifle from The End but i dont like that kind of weapon in high speed sections.

Now i recommend this DO NOT DO WHAT I DID :lol: seriously that kinda removed some of my enjoyment from the game. Now that i beat it im watching a lets play and the game has a bunch of tricks under its sleeve to make everything easier even on higher difficulties.

A lot of people clain this is the best one but i had more fun with the first one for the campiness in the cutscenes, this one is campy as well but i prefer the original, i can see myself liking more the game after more playthroughs since some problems have diferent solutions and that would make almost every play diferent from the last.

I think most people who say MGS3 is best are doing so from a gameplay perspective. Story-wise, MGS2 stands a full head above the entire rest of the series (IMO), but I can't say that it has the best gameplay. MGS3 was so much more deep, with far more choices for approaching objectives, beating bosses, dealing with enemies, etc. There were more easter eggs and little bonuses than any other game, and it was the first to feature a cutscene theater and an online mode.
prfsnl_gmr wrote:There is nothing feigned about it. What I wrote is a display of actual moral superiority.
Damm64
Next-Gen

Post by Damm64 »

BoringSupreez wrote:I think most people who say MGS3 is best are doing so from a gameplay perspective. Story-wise, MGS2 stands a full head above the entire rest of the series (IMO), but I can't say that it has the best gameplay. MGS3 was so much more deep, with far more choices for approaching objectives, beating bosses, dealing with enemies, etc. There were more easter eggs and little bonuses than any other game, and it was the first to feature a cutscene theater and an online mode.

Yeah gameplay wise this one is the strongest in the series so far, story wise i enjoy more MGS 1 than the rest. MGS 2 was just too much talking too little delibery also leaving a cliffhanger at the end credits that definetly says "BUY THE NEXT GAME!!!"

All i want to know is what happens with Arm Liquid, god i love how stupid that sounds, and what he's planning and the final showdown against Snake. But nope Kojima wanted to feel smart and made MGS 2 with Raiden.

I will admit that he take a risk with that game, making the player think they will control Snake and then changing the main character after one hour.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

Gamerforlife
Next-Gen

Post by Gamerforlife »

King's Quest Chapter I: A Knight to Remember - PS4

So I have never played any of the old King's Quest games. I have heard that you can die in annoying and random ways and lose progress though. This remake seems to pay tribute to that in some areas, but without any harsh penalties.

So being a newb to this series, I found this re-imagining very enjoyable. I came into it expecting your basic, point and click puzzle game, but much like Valiant Hearts: The Great War this game eschews that for gameplay that feels more consolized, though with you still having to solve puzzles involving proper use of inventory items and picking correct dialog choices. In between all that though is various other activities such as first person shooting, quick time events, a boss fight, playing a board game that feels like a very light version of chess, a side scrolling run and jump scenario, some timing based stuff, etc. Most of this stuff is REALLY easy though, so the game's real challenge is primarily on the puzzle solving.

Only the chess-like game was challenging as the opponent's AI is fairly decent. Trying to win that on a late night session frustrated me, though attempting it again the next afternoon I was able to win so I think my mind was just tired the first time around. Apparently, the game does have a work around for people who can't win though, which basically involves a puzzle that let's you cheat at the game.

I found the puzzles well designed mostly, though one I was unable to figure out until I just started randomly using things in my inventory. That puzzle was stupid.

To my pleasant surprise there is a slight role playing element to the game, in that some of your choices can affect how things happen in the story. Though the main plot line remains unaffected, it's still nice to have some control over the nuances of the story. You get a screenshot post game that seems to reflect the choices you've made. So there is a slight bit of Telltale Games/Heavy Rain influence here.

The graphics are beautiful. Playing this often reminded me of Dragon's Lair. It's got a great cartoon-like look to it, and there are moments in the game that are visually impressive (most involving a dragon) and there are some cool effects (a wisp of smoke in the foreground of one scene looks AMAZINGLY well animated). The soundtrack is pretty solid and the voice cast is excellent, particularly this guy:

And on that note, the story has a strong Princess Bride vibe to it and the game does actually make reference to the movie in subtle ways. Also, death is part of the narrative...assuming that should happen to you. It's done very much like Bastion, and in rare instances the game even breaks the fourth wall, (there's one odd, random thing you can do at one point in the game that will prompt the narrator to actually say you should probably get a trophy or achievement for that...seconds before you actually do)

I've been playing a lot of point and click puzzle inspired, story oriented games lately like Until Dawn, Valiant Hearts: The Great War and now this. And like those other two games, this was another enjoyable experience for me. I'm on episode 2 of Life is Strange and rather enjoying that as well. It could end up being my next game in this thread.

P.S. On PS4, the game has some minor performance issues, like a really choppy frame rate when walking through certain areas. I also had a weird glitch or bug happen ONE time that forced me to restart the game. I don't know if these are issues on other versions of the game.
RyaNtheSlayA wrote:
Seriously. Screw you Shao Kahn I'm gonna play Animal Crossing.
GSZX1337
Next-Gen

Post by GSZX1337 »

1) Cannon Spike - Dreamcast
2) I Have No Mouth, and I Must Scream - PC
3) Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS (as Mighty No. 9)
4) Mega Man: Maverick Hunter X - PSP (Vile Mode)
5) StarCraft - PC
6) Naughty Bear - Xbox 360
7) The Last of Us - PS3
8] Eets (100-percented) - PC
9) Gunpoint - PC
10) The Last Story - Wii
11) Papers, Please - PC (Ending 18)
12) King's Quest I: Quest for the Crown (AGD VGA remake)
13) Dune 2000 - PC (easy :()
14) Clock Tower: The First Fear - PC (S Ending)
15-19) Sam & Max Season 3: The Devil's Playhouse - PC
20) Dishonored - PC
21) Call of Juarez - PC

22) Gargoyle's Quest - GameBoy
I love a challenging platformer, and this is a challenging platformer. I've been wanting to play Demon's Crest for a while now, but i thought I'd play its two prequels first, and I'm glad I did. I was disappointed that it was a Game Boy game while the two sequels are on the NES and SNES respectively, but I got over that pretty quickly. The game looks rather good on the Game Boy, and the music sounds quite nice. Keep in mind, this is coming from someone that doesn't care for the sound for any of the Game Boys. ;)
However it's really the gameplay that got me into this. The levels feel very well designed and made to be difficult, but not unfair. The game's difficulty early on make the upgrades later on feel very substantial. To go from hovering for a few seconds to being able to hover indefinitely over the course of the game feels very triumphant. I can't really say anything about the lives and password system because I used save states to keep my progress. I only have a thirty minute lunch break, ya know. ;)

Only thing I can really gripe about is the boss fights. Well, the final two anyway. They're just stationary turrets firing homing shots. Feels kinda lame to me. It's not deal-breaking, though. A very, very good platformer for the Game Boy and a very good use of my lunch breaks.
Last edited by GSZX1337 on Sun Sep 27, 2015 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
casterofdreams wrote:On PC I want MOAR FPS!!!|
MrPopo

Post by MrPopo »

First 50:

51. Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne - PC
52. Starflight - PC
53. Skies of Arcadia - Dreamcast
54. Aliens versus Predator Classic 2000 - PC
55. Super Star Wars - SNES
56. Shadowrun: Hong Kong - PC
57. Hexen: Deathkings of the Dark Citadel - PC
58. The Catacomb - PC
59. Azure Striker Gunvolt - 3DS
60. Mighty Gunvolt - 3DS
61. Catacomb Abyss - PC
62. Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge - PC
63. Strike Suit Zero - Director's Cut - PC
64. Wolfenstein 3D Spear of Destiny - PC
65. StarCraft - PC
66. Metal Storm - NES

Wooo! Finally got this one down after many nights of attempts. This is another one of those NES games that really makes you work for your victory, but it's so satisfying when you get it. And holy shit, is this game a technical marvel.

For those who haven't played, it's a run-and-gun with the main mechanic being your ability to flip gravity. Enemies that walk tend to be affected by this (so ones on the ground fly to the ceiling, and visa versa) whereas flying or turreted enemies are not. There are also flame barriers that are only on when gravity is in one direction but off in another. This manipulation of gravity is heavily relied on in the platforming, as you will frequently need to do it to get over barriers and across spike pits. And the level design is fantastic; it really works out your spatial reasoning to get through the levels.

The game has a few powerups that are mutually exclusive; the powered up shot, the fireball, and the shield. The first makes your shots wider, do more damage, and pass through most surfaces (a lifesaver), the second makes you turn into an invincible fireball when you switch gravity until you land, and the third creates a shield in the direction you point your gun. The last one is pretty worthless and the power shot ends up being the best overall; the fireball has the problem that it doesn't necessarily kill all enemies you pass through, and you can end up coming out of it with your hitbox still in an enemy, killing you. There's also an armor powerup that you can get in addition to one of the above three that gives you an extra hit (non-stacking).

The bosses also require you to manipulate gravity, and several will be a stumbling block until you get used to it and add it to your list of reflexes in addition to jumping. The game has six stages and a final boss rush. The stages ramp up well in difficulty, with the sixth being a real mind bender. In the sixth stage there is no floor and ceiling, just floating platforms. You will wrap around the screen, which gets disorienting fast. The final thing that makes it crazy is the fact that the camera is fixed, while the platforms scroll up slowly. So you can very easily lose track of yourself or not anticipate properly what your next move is. But man, once you figure it out you feel awesome making your way through it.

If you enjoy your balls-hard NES platformers then I highly recommend this.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
bmoc
Next-Gen

Post by bmoc »

Gamerforlife wrote:King's Quest Chapter I: A Knight to Remember - PS4

So I have never played any of the old King's Quest games. I have heard that you can die in annoying and random ways and lose progress though.

That is 100% true. In King's Quest VI, for example, if you go into the labyrinth without certain items and save your game, you'd have to start the game over (if you didn't have another save file which placed you outside of the labyrinth).

I do want to get the new game, but I have been waiting on a sale for the complete edition. It does look promising though! The next episode "Rubble Without a Cause" is allegedly based on KQ III which is in my opinion, one of the better King's Quest games. I'd rate VI, V, and III as my top 3 favorites in the series.