Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
BoneSnapDeez
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by BoneSnapDeez Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:32 pm

I was wondering why you'd download this then I saw the anime girl in the second screenshot.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:14 pm

1. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
2. Sara Is Missing (Android)
3. Civilization V (PC)

shockingly, I just got the "hey congrats, you beat the game screen." Now this was just the default difficulty/settings and I guess the goal was just to survive to the year 2050. It was an interesting ride, though. I never looked anything up. Never knew what I was getting into. Just kept winging it until things made some sense. It was fun.

I don't feel like some new Civ convert, but I spent 8 hours enjoying this so I get the appeal. I'll write a longer thing on my site later.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:40 pm

noiseredux wrote:1. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
2. Sara Is Missing (Android)
3. Civilization V (PC)

shockingly, I just got the "hey congrats, you beat the game screen." Now this was just the default difficulty/settings and I guess the goal was just to survive to the year 2050. It was an interesting ride, though. I never looked anything up. Never knew what I was getting into. Just kept winging it until things made some sense. It was fun.

I don't feel like some new Civ convert, but I spent 8 hours enjoying this so I get the appeal. I'll write a longer thing on my site later.

I thought you finished RE7 this year?
Xeogred
Next-Gen

by Xeogred Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:45 pm

1. Duke Nukem 3D: 20th Anniversary World Tour (PC)
2. Serious Sam HD: The First Encounter* (PC)
3. Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter (PC)
4. D4: Dark Dreams Don't Die (PC)
5. Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight (PC)
6. Deadcore (PC)
7. Yakuza 4 (PS3)
8. Hyper Light Drifter (PC)
9. Doom 2: Valiant (PC)
10. Resident Evil 7 (PS4)
10. Doom 2: Ancient Aliens (PC)
11. Doom 2: Vanguard (PC)
12. Doom 2: Doom 2 The Way id Did (PC)
13. Doom 2: Community Chest Pack 4 (PC)
14. Doom: Doom The Way id Did (PC)
15. Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 (PC)

Wanted a little break from Breath of the Wild. Played and beat Episode 1 today and you know what? It really isn't that bad, though I got it for dollars on a Steam sale. Yeah, it feels super awkward and like it's a 2000's unofficial Flash sequel to Sonic... but given a few minutes and I got the hang of it. I'd even say I liked this more than Generations because there was zero plot and it was just straight to the point with the levels. There were four zones that seemed to pull from a few classics from Sonic 1 and Sonic 2.

The bosses were a bitch though, the final boss especially. It was needlessly dragged out and took awhile to get down.

I see a lot more positives on Episode 2 so it will be interesting to see what the difference is.

Overall, not something I'll replay like the classics, but it was a solid two hours with this one.
noiseredux
Next-Gen

by noiseredux Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:52 pm

dsheinem wrote:I thought you finished RE7 this year?

you thought wrong. I'm a giant baby who loves the RE series but has been inch-worming his way through 7 because it brings me to a state of panic. Great game. Super baby.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Mon Apr 03, 2017 11:49 pm

1. Captain Toad (WiiU)
2. Lost: Via Domus (PS3)
3. Modnation Racers (PS3)
4. Tron: Evolution (PS3)
5. Dead Rising (PC)
6. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
7. Yoshi’s Wooly World (Wii U)
8. Stanley Parable (PC)

9. Lone Wolf: Flight From the Dark (Android)
10. Lone Wolf: Fire on the Water (Android)
11. Lone Wolf: The Caverns of Kalte (Android)
12. Lone Wolf: The Chasm of Doom (Android)
13. Lone Wolf: Shadow on the Sand (Android)
14. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)
15. LoneWolf: Kingdoms of Terror(Android)
16. Plumbers Don’t Wear Ties (PC)

17. King’s Quest IV (PC)
18. Shovel Knight (PC)

King's Quest IV - Look....I adore Sierra. They began my love for the adventure genre and created vibrant worlds of pure joy and entertainment. What I don't adore is King's Quest. I have tried very hard to dig deep to find appreciation for the series and barring two entries, I am left dumbfounded as to why it is so beloved. Let's talk about what King's Quest IV is all about.

The story of King's Quest revolves around King Graham wanting to pass on his adventuring hat to his children, Rosella and Alexander. Sadly, he falls hideously ill and Rosella meets a fairy that promises to help heal him on the condition that she retrieve a medallion that keeps said fairy alive, which was stolen by an evil witch.

This sends Rosella on a series of random-ass quests that follow zero rhyme or rhythm. Want an example?! Spoiler warnings!

In the game you come across the evil witch who is willing to spare your life if you do a series of tasks for her. The first task is to bring her a unicorn. How do you do that?! I'm glad you asked, because it makes no freaking sense.

Let's break it down step by step.

1. Find a pool in the wilderness and move back and forth until randomly cupid spawns. Wait for him to go into the pool and then steal his bow and arrows.

2. Shoot the Unicorn with the arrows to make it fall in love with you, but you can't ride it! You need a bridle.

3. Find the 7 dwarves home, enter it and clean it.

4. The dwarves come and eat and leave a bag of diamonds. Take them.

5. bring the diamonds back to the dwarves. They say thanks, but no thanks and give you the diamonds back WITH A LANTERN!

6. Give the diamonds to the fisherman and his wife who are in need of money and they give you a fishing pole. If you give them the diamonds before talking to the dwarves. GAME OVER, but you won't know that until the VERY END OF THE GAME!

7. Go to a random area in the game and find a bird eating a worm. If you don't scare the bird off quickly, it will eat the worm and GAME OVER!

8. Get the worm and BAIT HOOK. Use those words exactly or else you will not be able to put the worm on the hook. Use worm on pole, use worm on hook.... none of those work. Bait hook.

9. Catch a fish.

10. Swim out into the ocean, watching out for a random shark that will kill you.

11. Swim to the fairy island.

12. pick up a peacock feather.

13. Swim until you run into a whale which randomly appears and it will eat you. Mind you a shark will randomly kill you as well.

14. climb up the tongue of the whale and you have to do it a SPECIFIC WAY OR ELSE YOU WILL NEVER CLIMB THE TONGUE!

15. Once you are on top of the tongue you must TICKLE THE UVULA! Mind you that the room description never mentions uvula and if you don't know what a uvula is...GAME OVER. Tickle whale does not work!

16. The whale will spit you out on an island.

17. Give the pelican the fish you caught and it will give you a whistle.

18. Type LOOK GROUND all over the island until you find a bridle for your unicorn.

19. Blow the whistle to ride dolphins

20. put the bridle on the unicorn and ride it to freedom.

NOWHERE DOES THE GAME TELL YOU ANY OF THIS INFORMATION AND YOU JUST HAVE TO BE LUCKY!

The game is so arbitrary and obtuse and nonsensically built....GRAH!!!!!!!

Shovel Knight - Grabbed this on the Switch and it was my first outing with the game. What a spectacular game! It is charming, witty and full of life. It is perfectly balanced and the level design is spectacular. They did a great job of introducing you to new elements and then applying them in more complex ways as you progressed. I can not wait to dig into Plague and Specter Knight.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
MrPopo

by MrPopo Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:55 am

1. Pokémon Moon - 3DS
2. Tony Hawk's Underground - GCN
3. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising - PC
4. Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of War II: Retribution - PC
5. Disgaea: Afternoon of Darkness - PSP
6. X-Wing: Imperial Pursuit - PC
7. Star Wars Republic Commando - PC
8. X-Wing: B-Wing - PC
9. Blazing Lazers - TG-16
10. Tales of Xillia 2 - PS3
11. Shining Force CD: Shining Force Gaiden - Sega CD
12. MUSHA - Genesis
13. Sonic CD - Sega CD
14. Final Fantasy Legend III - GB
15. Tales of Zestiria - PS3
16. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch
17. Horizon Zero Dawn - PS4
18. Tales of Berseria - PS4
19. Battlefield 1 - PC
20. Turok 2: Seeds of Evil - PC
21. Mass Effect Andromeda - PC
22. Starflight 2 - PC
23. Armored Hunter Gunhound EX - PC
24. Space Megaforce - SNES

Aka: the game where Compile called out Konami and Irem as scrubs for not being able to have a fast pace shmup on the SNES without awful technical problems. Technically called Super Aleste (and thus being part of the large Aleste series), this game is basically Blazing Lazers++ (Gunhed++). The mechanics are pretty much lifted wholesale from the prior game with some additions to iterate. You still have a system of powerups that are leveled up by collecting a certain number of spheres or another copy of the base weapon. There's no secondary powerup (RIP shield); instead the weapon inventory has been expanded to a total of 8, and they can be reconfigured on the fly. Bombs and lives still work the same, including the golden life feature. I took advantage of this on my victory run (which was good, because I hadn't seen half the game before). A hit drops you down four weapon levels (out of six) or to zero, which ever comes first. So you always get a mercy hit. The other nice thing is you apparently can bank up the upgrade orbs; several times I'd take a hit, but then the next four orbs would level me up once per.

This game has a great selection of weapons which are all useful in different contexts. The basic machine gun is quite solid, as it has a wide spread when powered up and can be reconfigured into a variety of spread types, from all fire forward all the way to firing in all eight directions. The laser is basically the same as Blazing Lazers, but the alternate mode gives you a homing shot to replace some of your forward fire (or two homing shots at max level). The orb returns, but this time you get a much wider area and even two orbitals at max level, with the reconfigure button letting you halt their rotation (to block a particular area or just sit an orb on top of an enemy. There's a weapon called the multi direction fire which is high damage and piercing that fires in the direction you face and the reconfigure button locks it in place; this is one of those weapons that is effective with practice. There's a missile which can be homing or not, and then a charge weapon. With the charge you can either have it charge fast but you can't shoot while charging, or charge slow and you get a forward shot when charging. I personally found it cumbersome to use, but it's high damage. There's an option formation that goes to up to six options that follow you Gradius style, with the reconfigure locking them in place (which can be great for getting them around corners, more in a minute). And finally the scattershot fires orbs that explode on hitting things, and the reconfigure causes the shots to curve in the direction you move (for corner shots again).

Unlike most vertical shmups this game has a lot of terrain that will block you. Uniquely this game has no collision damage with terrain, other than being squeezed between terrain and the edge of the screen. So the devs weren't shy about putting in mazes and other similar hazards as the game goes on. My only complaint is that some levels have elements that are unclear as to whether or not they are blocking terrain or not.

This game is quite long; it's twelve stages with most of them being of above average length. Three of them are below average length, and the last stage is a boss rush. Unlike the other Compile games I've beaten this final boss only has one form, though its a rather hectic form and it's not always vulnerable to attack.

This is definitely an essential shmup for the SNES collection.
Blizzard Entertainment Software Developer - All comments and views are my own and not representative of the company.
dsheinem
Next-Gen

by dsheinem Tue Apr 04, 2017 7:53 am

This is definitely an essential shmup for the SNES collection.

There's a good argument that it is the only essential one :)
marurun

by marurun Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:52 pm

I consider this game Blazing Lazers/Gunhed -- rather than ++. Space Megaforce performs better on SNES than its cohorts, but there are really slow stretches of game where nothing t much interesting is going on. So despite pushing lots of sprites quickly, the game actually feels slow. Gunhed on PCE rocks this game's world.
Dope Pope on a Rope
B/S/T thread
My Classic Games Collection
My Steam Profile
The PC Engine Software Bible Forum, with Shoutbox chat - the new Internet home for PC Engine fandom.
ElkinFencer10
Next-Gen

by ElkinFencer10 Tue Apr 04, 2017 6:38 pm

Games Beaten in 2017 So Far - 33

January (10 Games Beaten)
1. Persona 4 Arena - Playstation 3 - January 1
2. Chrono Trigger - SNES - January 7
3. Ys: The Vanished Omens - Master System - January 8
4. MUSHA - Genesis - January 10
5. Dragon Quest Heroes: The World Tree's Woe and the Blight Below - PlayStation 4 - January 11
6. Ys I - TurboGrafx-CD - January 13
7. Ys II - TurboGrafx-CD - January 14
8. Dragon Quest Builders - PlayStation 4 - January 23
9. Resident Evil 7: Biohazard - PlayStation 4 - January 26
10. School Girl/Zombie Hunter - PlayStation 4 - January 29

February (12 Games Beaten)
11. Fire Emblem Heroes - Android - February 3
12. The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD - Wii U - February 5
13. Dante's Inferno - PlayStation 3 - February 7
14. Hotel Dusk: Room 215 - DS - February 11
15. Persona 4: Dancing All Night - Vita - February 12
16. Sniper Elite 4 - PlayStation 4 - February 17
17. Pony Quest - NES - February 19
18. Halo Wars 2 - Xbox One - February 22
19. Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions - PlayStation Portable - February 24
20. Hotline Miami - PlayStation 4 - February 26
21. Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon and the Blade of Light - Famicom - February 27
22. Bad Dudes - NES - February 28

March (6 Games Beaten)
23. Root Letter - PlayStation 4 - March 2
24. Vroom in the Night Sky - Switch - March 10
25. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - Switch - March 17
26. Super Bomberman R - Switch - March 18
27. Super Mario Run - Android - March 24
28. I Am Setsuna - Switch - March 24

April (5 Games Beaten)
29. Mass Effect: Andromeda - PlayStation 4 - April 1
30. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army - PlayStation 4 - April 2
31. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 2 - PlayStation 4 - April 2
32. New Frontier Days: Founding Pioneers - Switch - April 3
33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4

33. Sniper Elite: Nazi Zombie Army 3 - PlayStation 4 - April 4

I'm reviewing the trilogy as a whole since it's all on one PS4 disc.

As all hardcore gamers know, the greatest enemies of all time are the Nazis. They're just so damn evil, you can't help but have fun massacring them. As those gamers would also know, one of the greatest non-human enemies of all time (perhaps the greatest, but there's room for debate) are zombies. Make a game built entirely around hoards of Nazi zombies, and it's a recipe for a great time. Treyarch's Call of Duty games may have been the first to popularize the idea of Nazi zombies, but in this teacher's not-particularly-humble opinion, Rebellion perfected the concept when Nazi Zombie Army first released as DLC for Sniper Elite V2 back in 2013; it would later produce a stand alone digital release and two sequels, culminating in the digital and retail release of this all-in-one pack with all three games.

Part of what immediately hooked me on this game was that the premise is actually based (albeit loosely) on actual history. During the second world war, Hitler had a fascination with the supernatural and the occult, and he actually devoted a not insignificant amount of manpower and resources into studying it. Of course, none of this research ever bore any fruits, but it's a fascinating and relatively unknown aspect to the war. The plot of this series is that this research DID turn up a relic with the power to reanimate the dead. When the war began turning against him, Hitler used this to resurrect the fallen German soldiers into an army of the undead to fight against the Allies. Unfortunately for him, he didn't realize that you need all three components of the relic together to control the zombies, resulting in having Berlin overrun by legions of the undead. You play as either an American OSS agent, a British SOE operative, a Soviet soldier, or a German SS defector as you fight fight your way out of Berlin, then fight your way back into Berlin, then fight your way through Berlin, all in an effort to put a stop to the zombie menace.

What makes this game stand out from other zombie shooters and makes it challenging as well is that it's still very much a Sniper Elite game; I spent the game armed with only a sniper rifle with 100 rounds, a shotgun with 18 rounds, a revolver with 26 rounds, and a handful of grenades. All of this was going against waves of zombies that, at times, reached Dead Rising level of enemies on screen. It takes some careful planning, skillful shots, and no small amount of luck to survive some of the sieges to which the game subjects you. You have the option of playing co-op online with up to three other people very much like Left 4 Dead, but I played through each game's five missions (each of which take between 30 and 60 minutes) solo. Like with the main series Sniper Elite games, you have the option of awesome X-ray kill cams, although you don't get the variety of kill types that you do in other games; here, it will just say "Headshot" if you shoot a zombie in the head or "Kill" if you down one with shots elsewhere. It's worth noting, however, that if you kill a zombie other than with a headshot or an explosive, there's a chance that it will resurrect. I'm not sure what the actual percentage chance is, but it seemed to me to somewhere in the neighborhood of a 20% or 25% chance.

Visually, the game looks fine. It's not the most impressive game in the world, but considering that it was originally DLC for a 2012 game (and all three Nazi Zombie Army games use unmodified the Sniper Elite V2 engine), it looks just fine. The sound design is nice, though; the screams and moans in the background add a definite creepy element to the atmosphere of the game, and the various noises of the different types of zombies - the dull THUMP of the armor zombies, the machine gun of the gunner zombies, the revving of the chainsaw zombies - give you an idea of any particularly dangerous threats around the corner. If I were to pick a complaint about the game, however, it would be the level length. Safehouses aren't ridiculously far apart - maybe 10 minutes from safehouse to safehouse - but the chapters themselves, as I said, average about 45 minutes each, though several of them take longer than that. They're not ridiculously long, but they do tend to hit the "okay, I'm ready for this chapter to end" point about 3/4 of the way through for the most of the time.

For those who want a fast paced high octane shooter, Zombie Army Trilogy might not be for you. For those who want a quick pick up and play for short bursts, Zombie Army Trilogy is definitely not for you. For those who don't mind a more methodical shooter, are willing to invest some time into each chapter, and love killing Nazis and/or zombies, however, Zombie Army Trilogy is definitely one to check out. The whole trilogy is available on Steam, PS4, and Xbox One, you can also get each of the three games individually on Steam if you want. It's definitely not going to be for everyone, but if you're a fan of the main Sniper Elite series, I would definitely recommend checking this out. If you're a PC gamer, they seem to go on sale on Steam fairly frequently.
Exhuminator wrote:Ecchi lords must unite for great justice.

Return to General Gaming