Anything that is gaming related that doesn't fit well anywhere else
Damm64
Next-Gen

Re: Games Beaten 2017

by Damm64 Tue Mar 21, 2017 11:44 am

Kuruwin wrote:
Interesting. I fucking loathed that section and it's on par with the racing section on Mafia 1. Must have taken like 30 tries until i was finally able to get through with it.

That racing mission on mafia made me rage quit the whole game. I recently found out that they patched the game so you can skip that mission. I should have played that version instead.
noiseredux wrote:I don't lend shit and I don't borrow shit.

BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:56 pm

1. Captain Toad (WiiU)
2. Lost: Via Domus (PS3)
3. Modnation Racers (PS3)
4. Tron: Evolution (PS3)
5. Dead Rising (PC)
6. Fire Emblem Heroes (Android)
7. Yoshi’s Wooly World (Wii U)
8. Stanley Parable (PC)
9. Lone Wolf: Flight From the Dark (Android)
10. Lone Wolf: Fire on the Water (Android)
11. Lone Wolf: The Caverns of Kalte (Android)

12. Lone Wolf: The Chasm of Doom (Android)
13. Lone Wolf: Shadow on the Sand (Android)
14. Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild (Switch)

Lone Wolf Books - Let's be brief... like with my previous Games Beaten post, the Lone Wolf series is a chose your own adventure RPG hybrid. Not much has changed from previous iterations outside of plot. With Chasm of Doom, you are sent out to investigate a missing cavalry unit scouting the borders of your kingdom, only to find them victim of a band of religious zealots from the kingdom of Vassagonia who are trying to resurrect a dark lord and destroy your land.

In Shadow on the Sand, the Kingdom of Vassagonia wanted to make clear that they had no official part in the cults doings and wanted to sign a peace treaty with your kingdom to prove so, but asked that you be present for the signing. As you arrive, you find out their ruler has died and a more malignant replacement wants you dead. They signed a deal with the dark lords who attacked your kingdom in the first few books and are looking for an ancient book from your holy order that is buried somewhere in the desert. You escape their grasp, meet with old friends and recover the book!

Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild - What can be said that has not already been said? This game is spectacular. The enormity of the map would strike fear in a player with ideas of monotony or boredom, but that is not so. There is always something catching your eye... peaking your interest and forcing you ever further to unravel the beauty of the experience. What is so magical is that at the moments I started to feel in a groove, the game would introduce new elements, or new experiences that brought me up to a higher tier of game play.

If you felt you mastered combat, you will come across new enemies that change things up. Think you understand your powers? Here are new puzzles that make you think in a variety of ways. To put it quite simply, I have watched three people other than myself play this game and every single one of them approached problems with completely different methods and that is magical. I do not want to go into great detail of specifics, as the game should not be spoiled for those interested. This is not the ranting of a fan boy, but the ranting of a man who has played games for the entirety of his life. It does new and exciting things. It is change and it is good.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

-I am the idiot that likes to have fun and be happy.
Markies
128-bit

by Markies Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:50 pm

1. Phantasy Star II (GEN)
2. Guitar Hero (PS2)
3. Adventures of Lolo (NES)
4. Animal Crossing (GCN)
5. Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse (NES)
6. Beyond The Beyond (PS1)
7. R.B.I. Baseball (NES)
8. Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo (PS1)
9. GoldenEye: Rogue Agent (GCN)
10. Project Gotham Racing (XBOX)
11. Ristar (GEN)

12. Conker's Bad Fur Day (N64)

I completed Conker's Bad Fur Day on the Nintendo 64 this evening!

Oh boy......

This might fall into the 'Unpopular Gaming Opinions' Thread, but Conker's Bad Fur Day is an awful game. Absolutely terrible.

It has some really unique ideas and the writing is quite clever in some spots. I'm a sucker for British accents, language and humor, so that was quite enjoyable personally.

From a game design perspective, I have come to realize that Rare are sadists. Every single game they create, they want the player to suffer. They never make any decision that benefits the player. It's all about screwing them over.

See, Conker is a platformer that is made up of these context sensitive buttons and when you hit one, you can do something unique. When the game works properly and you do what the programmer wants you to do, it works perfectly. It looks great. However, that doesn't happen. If you screw up, which happens a lot, it becomes incredibly hard and does nothing but screw the player over.

Every interesting idea is hampered by mean game design. Every interesting choice is throttled by evil programmers.

With long chapters, little checkpoints, strange camera angles, imprecise jumping, frustrating enemies and just annoying characters, it is not that fun to play.

And the crudeness? Back in the day, for teenagers, I bet the game was hilarious. Nowadays, it's juvenile. The game's humor boils down to some child discovering the ability to say naughty words. It's just crass for being crass.

Banjo-Kazooie was frustrating and annoying when I played it. However, there was charm to it, the game was innovative and the game seemed fair. Conker is just crude, annoying and without any charm.

It is NOT worth the $80 that it is going for. The thought of trading it in crossed my mind several times while playing it. I would only play it if you are a diehard Rare fan or love 3D platformers. Otherwise, save yourself the trouble and avoid at all costs.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Mar 22, 2017 8:59 pm

@markies I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy Conker. I loved the game as a youth and found only one major issue with the game and that dealt with the rock club.

I found the game to be visually enjoyable filled with sharp humor and varied, well designed gameplay. Everyone has their own tastes and I get that it just didn't click with you.

As for your feelings towards banjo kazooie... that is a shame. That game is almost perfect for me as a 3d platformer and still stands up as being a great game for a whole slew of reasons.

Again... not knocking the problems you had with the games, because clearly you did have a frustrating experience. We all go through games with different perspectives.
Ack wrote:I don't know, chief, the haunting feeling of lust I feel whenever I look at your avatar makes me think it's real.

Fragems
Next-Gen

by Fragems Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:11 pm

You could always sell it and pick up a copy of Rare Replay if you want to keep a version in your collection and aren't going for a complete N64 set or anything.
PartridgeSenpai
Next-Gen

by PartridgeSenpai Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:21 pm

Totally agree that Conker is a terrible game. I said as much in my DK64 review on the beaten thread a couple days ago, but that game is all style and no substance. You can really tell it was in development purgatory 5ever with their B-team. It is just so beyond fucked from a gameplay perspective. If it weren't so clever and unique with the writing, it'd be up there with one of the worst platformers on the system. Perhaps not worst games on the system, but it really genuinely a slog to play through, especially if you try to go back to an old area to do something after you forgot something (like going back to the farm when it's dark). There's a reason it's one of very few games that have tried to do such a cluster-fuck of genres together in one game: It generally doesn't work great Xp
I identify everyone via avatar, so if you change your avatar, I genuinely might completely forget who you are. -- Me
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:25 pm

I don't get all the hate for the game. I also feel it has some of the best split screen multi-player for the game mode, Beach alone. That mode is such an amazing level of fun.

Markies
128-bit

by Markies Wed Mar 22, 2017 10:30 pm

BogusMeatFactory wrote:As for your feelings towards banjo kazooie... that is a shame. That game is almost perfect for me as a 3d platformer and still stands up as being a great game for a whole slew of reasons.

Oh, do you not get me wrong when it comes to Banjo Kazooie. I can see why people enjoy Conker as I am not the biggest fan of 3D Platformers and the humor is just not for me. Conker is just probably not for me and I was more frustrated then anything.

Banjo Kazooie is a GREAT game. I enjoyed it so much more and I think it is a better game than Mario 64. I will admit that it is frustrating at some points like with short time switches, loosing everything you collected and the final quiz level is just mean.

But, the colors, graphics, art style, story, game play, control and overall fun of the game is just top notch. For a PURE 3D Platformer, Banjo Kazooie is probably the best one. Rare frustrates me in general, but I know when they make a good game and Banjo Kazooie is a great game.
Exhuminator
Next-Gen

by Exhuminator Thu Mar 23, 2017 8:48 am

BogusMeatFactory wrote:It does new and exciting things. It is change and it is good.

I don't mean this in a smart-ass or pedantic manner, I'm being sincere here; did you experience any gameplay concepts in BotW that you've literally never seen in any other game before? Or did you mean "change" insofar as change to the classic 3D Zelda formula?
PLAY KING'S FIELD.
BogusMeatFactory
Next-Gen

by BogusMeatFactory Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:22 am

Exhuminator wrote:
BogusMeatFactory wrote:It does new and exciting things. It is change and it is good.

I don't mean this in a smart-ass or pedantic manner, I'm being sincere here; did you experience any gameplay concepts in BotW that you've literally never seen in any other game before? Or did you mean "change" insofar as change to the classic 3D Zelda formula?

No worries, that is an honest question. The answer is both. The brand new stuff I haven't experienced comes in the form of the basic tools given to you at the beginning of the game.

Stasis and Cryonis and magnesis are three powers that allow you to approach puzzles and combat scenarios in fun and exciting ways. With Stasis, you can stop stop the movement of any object for a period of time. This can be used to stop rolling rocks or obstacles, but the biggest use is for launching things.

By stopping time on an object, you can whack it to build up energy in it and have it rocket off in a direction when the effect wears off. This opens things up for a lot of creative approaches to solving puzzles.

With Cryonis, you are able to erect a pillar of ice from any water surface and can be used to erect barriers, or high ground in combat scenarios for a more dynamic landscape. WI think puzzles, you may not think it has many uses, but Nintendo does a great job in offering a lot of options in how to use it.

Magnesis is another power that I felt would be a simple idea. Magnetism isn't new but Nintendo does a great job of utilizing it in fun ways. If metal boxes are in an enemy camp, you can be assured that I will use it as a projectile of death and destruction to fling at the enemies.

The beauty is that I played it for 45 hours before deciding to moverify to the final boss and I barely scratched the surface of the game. I did so for a variety of personal reasons. not because I felt the game was full. At every moment when I felt that I understood everything I could do, I was proven wrong.

So yes, it is a mixture of new ideas and new ideas for zelda but not games at large.

Return to General Gaming